Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's always incredibly sad how people take these movies with laser swords, magic, and aliens, and then start discussing the technical specifications of spaceships.

Why is it sad that different people take enjoyment from different facets of a franchise?

Did you know there have been several RPG lines that give explicit numerical values on all of these spaceships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's always incredibly sad how people take these movies with laser swords, magic, and aliens, and then start discussing the technical specifications of spaceships.

Who loving cares what people talk about

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CelticPredator posted:

Who loving cares what people talk about
If you're not talking about shot composition at all times you're doing it wrong.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 21, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Why is it sad that different people take enjoyment from different facets of a franchise?

Did you know there have been several RPG lines that give explicit numerical values on all of these spaceships?

Star Wars has no value as Sci Fi no matter how many nerds try to explain every little detail with pseudo-scientific sperglord paragraphs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Phi230 posted:

Star Wars has no value as Sci Fi no matter how many nerds try to explain every little detail with pseudo-scientific sperglord paragraphs.

Have you considered that the fans are what gives Star Wars "value" as sci-fi?

And who declared you the sole arbiter of sci-fi value?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Well yeah, since it's a religious text. I mean there will always be fundamentalists who believe in the inerrant inspiration of the force as revealed to the prophets but I think most modern adherents to the faith understand much of it is metaphor and parable.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The only thing you are allowed to talk about is with who each Star Wars: The Force Awakens character is having sex with.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Slugworth posted:

If you're not talking about shot composition at all times you're doing it wrong.

What about ugly VFX composites?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

jivjov posted:

Presumably those people are fans for a reason.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Slugworth posted:

this but also lighting

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

If anything the fans prove that Star Wars is bad sci-fi. The movies have inspired generations of people into inward stagnation. The universe of magic and adventure has enchanted people to strip-mine it in a never-ending quest of gratification, devouring endless cycles of worthless video games, asinine comics, and bad novels because they cannot imagine a life without the second-hand/third-hand banalities.of merchandising.

They're wankers.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 21, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If anything the fans prove that Star Wars is bad sci-fi. The movies have inspired generations of people into inward stagnation. The universe of magic and adventure has enchanted people to strip-mine it in a never-ending quest of gratification, devouring endless cycles of worthless video games, asinine comics, and bad novels because they cannot imagine a life without the second-hand/third-hand banalities.of merchandising.

They're wankers.

Please talk more about the technical specs Jiv. I'm interested.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If only they had stopped at Star Wars. drat you, ESB.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

I consider that to be incorrect.

Your logic here is very unmistakably reactionary. Note the randomly-voiced fear of 'totalitarianism'. The fear of being silenced by 'authorities' ("who declared you the sole arbiter?"). The assertion of a rudimentary populist tribalism ("the fans are the source of all value [and I merely enact their will]").

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not saying that the fan base is the source of all "value" ever. But if some fans want to take enjoyment out of comparing technical specifications of dozens of fictional spacecraft, why should that be a problem for anyone else?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'm not saying that the fan base is the source of all "value" ever. But if some fans want to take enjoyment out of comparing technical specifications of dozens of fictional spacecraft, why should that be a problem for anyone else?

If some fans want every movie to have a Death Star in it from this point on, why should that be a problem for anyone else?

If some fans want Star Wars to become what it never was, why should that be a problem for anyone else?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why is it bad that someone points out that it's a bit silly?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 21, 2016

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

jivjov posted:

Because this is the something awful dot com forums, where a contrarian is registered every minute.

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

Yeah, TIEs are superior in speed and maneuverability, comparable in weapon output (especially the Interceptor, with 4 cannons to match the X-Wing) but pilot survivability is way down due to no shields and no hyperdrive.

The old Legends EU presented those as some of the most expensive components, leading to the Empire being able to field waaaaaay more TIEs with lower capital expenditure.

homullus posted:

They also don't really exist and were not designed for film with any scientific reality in mind. Twin Ion Engine is retcon bullshit, they're just flying disposable bowtie-ship bad guys.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why is it bad that someone points out that it's a bit silly?

"People need to love movies the way I do!!!!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

"People need to love movies the way I do!!!!"

I didn't command anyone to do anything. Apply your imagination for something more interesting (that's an imperative).

In actual Star Wars movie discussion, Rogue One seems worth it just for the designs. Hope it's just not a handsome surface for a forgettable story.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 21, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

If some fans want every movie to have a Death Star in it from this point on, why should that be a problem for anyone else?

If some fans want Star Wars to become what it never was, why should that be a problem for anyone else?

The fanbase is engaging with what is produced and released, not doing the producing and releasing.

But yeah, if it's inappropriate to enjoy pew pew flying spaceships out of Star Wars, better call FFG and tell them to stop making the wildly popular X-Wing minis game and the slight less wildly popular RPG line.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Note the randomly-voiced fear of 'totalitarianism'. The fear of being silenced by 'authorities' ("who declared you the sole arbiter?").

Well I definitely see it now,

If you call this thing dumb you are commanding people.

If you call this thing dumb you are threatening producers of miniatures and RPGs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If someone tells a story about the place where the bad guys get their spaceships, and it was the kind of story that was interesting to them, that is a way of engaging with the work. If the story is interesting to others, that is a way of engaging with other viewers. If the story inspires the other viewers to see something in the work that they hadn't seen before, that makes it criticism.

A viewer who conflates the story about the spaceship factory with the story that inspired it, or thinks that the illusion of meaning created by the spaceship factory story exists because of the prior story only instead of both it and the secondary story, has misunderstood how reading works. Criticism does not add to the text it depends on, only to the conversation about that text. The conversation is not the text.

The "Star Wars" the the prequels "ruined" is a conversation. The "Star Wars" whose point is "missed" by fanfic about engines is also a conversation.

I don't see the harm in it if someone understands the difference, but a whole lot of stupid can happen when someone doesn't. Fandoms often suffer from epidemics of attempting to elevate the conversation to the level of the text, from trying in effect to say that the fanfic they're fans of is the same as the thing the fanfic is fanfic of, rather than merely a co-member of the set of the fandom's interests.

Cinema Discusso as a fandom is not typically interested in fanfic about spaceship factories, unless you can make it germane.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

The fanbase is engaging with what is produced and released, not doing the producing and releasing.

But yeah, if it's inappropriate to enjoy pew pew flying spaceships out of Star Wars, better call FFG and tell them to stop making the wildly popular X-Wing minis game and the slight less wildly popular RPG line.

You're so close, though.

Like, do I care that somebody for Lucasfilm a long time ago decided that it was cooler for it to be TIE fighters rather than "Tie fighters"? No. Do I care that somebody decided that since it was capitalized, it must be an acronym for Twin Ion Engine? No.

But it never ends. Next we need somebody to explain how the bowtie spaceplane with a single butthole has a "twin engine." Then we have to have a fictional company that made the ship. If it hasn't happened yet, at some point somebody will write the fictional life story of the founder of that fictional company that made the fictional ship that was never intended to be mimetic of any reality. The fan demand for these meaningless details is ravenous and bottomless, because you -- you personally -- want to "know more" about the film than exists. It has nothing to do with the films, which never get past the phrase "TIE fighter" and "short range." This insatiable hunger for minutiae absolutely affects the nature of future films, and absolutely corrupts discussions of the past films. It is akin to wanting to see video game characters naked -- they do not exist, do not have skins beyond the ones created for their products. There is nothing more to them than what you see...and yet the demand for that is enormous.

This is different from enjoying the design of the ships or liking the action in the dogfighting. Games based on the settings of films likewise are a separate thing altogether (ignoring that neither FFG game resembles its cinematic ancestor).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You can literally see the twin ion engines on the back of a TIE.

And (at least in Legends) the TIE line was initially designed by Raith Seinar of Seinar Fleet Systems.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

homullus posted:

This insatiable hunger for minutiae absolutely affects the nature of future films, and absolutely corrupts discussions of the past films.

Only a Sith lord yadda yadda yadda

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

They're wankers.

Some of those games were pretty fuckin' good dude. TIE Fighter forever.

Also all art is second hand. Which is not to say reading or writing Star Wars Expanded Universe novels is a good idea.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 21, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

And (at least in Legends) the TIE line was initially designed by Raith Seinar of Seinar Fleet Systems.

I don't know what I hate more. That this is even a thing or that I already knew it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

You can literally see the twin ion engines on the back of a TIE.

Tell me more about these twin ion engines.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

It could be worse. We could be the people who talk about what Mass Effect alien sweat tastes like.

Thank you for saying sweat instead of the more accurate "Liara's rear end in a top hat"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

Thank you for saying sweat instead of the more accurate "Liara's rear end in a top hat"

Nope, it's definitely Tali sweat he's referring to. Some sperg on the Mass Effect board wrote some loving thesis on what her sweat would taste like given the hints of her biology. I believe Bioware made a joke about it Mass Effect 3.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 22, 2016

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yikes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Nope, it's definitely Tali sweat he's referring to. Some sperg on the Mass Effect board wrote some loving thesis on what her sweat would taste like given the hints of her biology. I believe Bioware made a joke about it Mass Effect 3.

But what's the harm if some fans want to enjoy the product that way?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

porfiria posted:

Some of those games were pretty fuckin' good dude. TIE Fighter forever.

Also all art is second hand. Which is not to say reading or writing Star Wars Expanded Universe novels is a good idea.

KOTOR 2 :allears:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet but at Celebration Rian Johnson listed several films that he watched during the planning of VIII:

Twelve O'Clock High
Letter Never Sent
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Dam Busters
Three Outlaw Samurai
Sahara

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silver Brushes posted:

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet but at Celebration Rian Johnson listed several films that he watched during the planning of VIII:

Twelve O'Clock High
Letter Never Sent
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Dam Busters
Three Outlaw Samurai
Sahara

For the briefest of moments I entertained the thought of Rian Johnson finishing his classic film watching with a palette cleanser of the 2005 film Sahara staring Mathew Mccounaghey

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

jivjov posted:

Since you might know the answer, or at least know where to find the answer, could you tell me what metal(s) the TIE fighter was constructed from? How about the A- and X-wings?

I've honestly become quite curious what the "official" answer is, although I recognize I'll never be as happy as when I falsely believed they were aluminum.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/star-wars-celebration-lucasfilm-story-group/

Here is an article about the story group to further enflame this stupid derail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Since you might know the answer, or at least know where to find the answer, could you tell me what metal(s) the TIE fighter was constructed from? How about the A- and X-wings?

I've honestly become quite curious what the "official" answer is, although I recognize I'll never be as happy as when I falsely believed they were aluminum.

Doomium and Phobium, the evillest metals in existence.

• Locked thread