Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

A c E posted:

So far, I've received 3 more adverts since that message. I have very little faith that they will actually stop them this time as well. It sucks because Canada Post can't do anything and I can't find anyone else to complain to about it. I supposedly stopped all the unaddressed adverts for my postal code, but I don't get those anyways so who knows if they were lying about that as well.

I don't know if this will help, but there might be another course of action for you.

For each envelope that arrives, cover or otherwise obscure thepostal code on it (sharpie is fine), write 'MOVED - NFA' on it in big block letter, and drop it in the nearest mailbox.

It costs about 85 cents to send a piece of bulk mail, but it costs between 2 and 2.50 to process the return, and this cost is passed to the sender. If Rogers is sending them directly, they may not care, but it's much more likely they are using a third party fulfillment house. That third party company is paid a flat rate, and will manage returns internally because they directly affect the profit they make.

If you can get the fulfillment house to kill your address, it'll stay dead no matter what Rogers does. It'll take a good few months of doing this to have any effect, though, and some contracts pass those return costs back to the originator, so there is a chance that it won't make any difference at all beyond costing rogers more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I really need to hide a pencil in my mailbox so I can do this and mail it back right away.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Is it the sort of thing where you tape a rock to them and return to sender?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

w00tmonger posted:

Is it the sort of thing where you tape a rock to them and return to sender?

No, that's just abusive of canada post, nothing will come of it from the fulfillment house.
Canada post equipment will spit out any envelope without a readable postal code, and it'll be manually processed. When the processing person sees the moved - nfa message, they will put the address into a database which is passed back to the sender, the letter itself is usually shredded. Canada post bills for this service, how much is charged depends on how far away the return is from the point of origin, and how well integrated the fulfillment house is with canada posts process. It can add up quickly, especially if you are getting 3+ a month.

Mailings can also be flagged for guaranteed return, so the envelope is always returned intact to the sender, this is mostly for bills, credit cards, government info, etc. Some areas also aren't setup for electronic return, and the envelope will be returned no matter what, but that's becoming more rare.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Holy poo poo I'm gonna try this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Decided to make the jump back over to Shaw with their 150 plan.. One thing that is pretty nice on Shaw is their public wifi, that seems handy. Is it any good?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Works great for me. Speeds about 15Mb/s. Can't complain. I don't use it often cause I have a pretty beefy data plan but when I do it always works well

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
It's nice when you stop somewhere that has it like a coffee shop or whatever but I ended up having to disable my WiFi while on transit because you'd pass a store that has WiFi and the phone would drop the LTE connection and connect to WiFi automatically by which time you are out of range but it takes a while for the phone to realise before reconnecting to the cell network. Made internet use on the skytrain pretty annoying.

That said, I too am going back to Shaw for the sweet sweet 150mbps deal.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm even saying fuckit and getting the bundle with the base cable.. I am tired of just having antenna especially for sports.

Averages out to be less than my Telus 50Mb (with no cable) over the two years so what the hell.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Global news aired a commercial for shaw's internet disguised as a news story

http://globalnews.ca/video/2828453/the-price-of-internet-access-is-on-the-verge-of-going-down

This was aired in their regular 5pm news broadcast here. This is absolutely loving pathetic. The entire story is clearly written by a shaw staffer, ending with the line "so when it comes to data use, it can be about self control" because of course because shaw's newest "cheaper" top teir package that's actually more expensive than it was 3 years ago also has a much lower data cap than it did 3 years ago.

edit: look at the name of that article, and the notice on the top of shaw's main page

Powershift fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 25, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Powershift posted:

Global news aired a commercial for shaw's internet disguised as a news story

http://globalnews.ca/video/2828453/the-price-of-internet-access-is-on-the-verge-of-going-down

This was aired in their regular 5pm news broadcast here. This is absolutely loving pathetic. The entire story is clearly written by a shaw staffer, ending with the line "so when it comes to data use, it can be about self control" because of course because shaw's newest "cheaper" top teir package that's actually more expensive than it was 3 years ago also has a much lower data cap than it did 3 years ago.

edit: look at the name of that article, and the notice on the top of shaw's main page

Complain to the CRTC about it for shits and giggles.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Global are the shilliest shills who ever shilled, I cannot stand their news here (BC) and have a long standing dislike for one of their anchor people who looks like a big dumb baby (f u steve darling you baby fat piece of poo poo)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

sbaldrick posted:

Complain to the CRTC about it for shits and giggles.

On the off chance you actually want to do this, I'd direct it it to the CBSC instead, unless you feel like arguing that the segment was flagrantly misleading:

CRTC posted:

The Commission reminds the public that complaints that arise regarding the news content aired by broadcasters should be addressed to the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC). The Commission will typically intervene in the complaint process only if the broadcaster in question is not a member in good standing of the CBSC or if the complaint has not been satisfactorily resolved by the CBSC.

The Commission further reminds the public that for the Commission to take action on a complaint relating to the broadcast of false or misleading news, the breach of the false or misleading news provisions must be flagrant.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

priznat posted:

Global are the shilliest shills who ever shilled, I cannot stand their news here (BC) and have a long standing dislike for one of their anchor people who looks like a big dumb baby (f u steve darling you baby fat piece of poo poo)

There's a reason This Hour Has 22 Minutes (or was it RCAF?) Referred to them as Fox North... In the nineties.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dawna Friesens' eyes sort of creeped me out. They pierced like a vampire or something.

And yeah, complain for shits and giggles. That's the kind of thing that actually needs a slap down.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If someone can compose a form letter and post the CRTC's email address, I'll do my part.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

And if you don't live in a a major metropolis in southern Ontario, the government is coming to save you with gigabit to the home for under $100/mo.

South Western Integrated Fibre Technology

Which will be sold off to the local sponsoring provider in 7 years (as basically mandated).

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Speaking of SW Ontario, If anyone is in the Windsor area, you can get fibre in some areas through MNSi (full disclosure, I work there). While we don't have everywhere covered yet were getting new areas lit up every 4 to 8 weeks or so.

bigmandan fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 26, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Fibrestream is available in my building but I've heard all kinds of crap about them traffic shaping p2p. Anyone have some info? I could get their 500/500 service and IPTV for about the same amount I'm paying Bell for 950/150.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

unknown posted:

And if you don't live in a a major metropolis in southern Ontario, the government is coming to save you with gigabit to the home for under $100/mo.

South Western Integrated Fibre Technology

Which will be sold off to the local sponsoring provider in 7 years (as basically mandated).

Looking at the numbers, they're underestimating the cost involved. $280m is not really really a lot to spread around for the area they are looking to cover. Also the timeline is ridiculous. It's going to take much longer than 4 years.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Dealing with the escarpment commissions alone will take 4 years, let alone any trenching and construction.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

The Gunslinger posted:

Dealing with the escarpment commissions alone will take 4 years, let alone any trenching and construction.

Also don't forget dealing with the existing utilities unwillingness to cooperate and municipal politics.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

bigmandan posted:

Looking at the numbers, they're underestimating the cost involved. $280m is not really really a lot to spread around for the area they are looking to cover. Also the timeline is ridiculous. It's going to take much longer than 4 years.

Reading the fine print basically it looks the community/government takes a 51+% ownership in the fibre with the rest by the local provider, with the majority of funds going to long haul runs.

I can't wait to hear about the ongoing costs that the government will have to shoulder as an owner when the partner will (hyper) inflate the costs billed to the group. (Eg: actual cost is $100, bill $250, gov pays ~$125 = no cost to local providers). And then after 7 years of cost pains will sell for pennies to the partner.

The only saving grace to the entire thing is the open access requirement for TPIAs.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Dallan Invictus posted:

On the off chance you actually want to do this, I'd direct it it to the CBSC instead, unless you feel like arguing that the segment was flagrantly misleading:

That's who I meant but the name of the org. completely slipped my mind. the cbsc are generally good people to get back to you.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Anyone see the $49.90 Shaw 150mb plan? I see people matching it with Telus but I apparently don't have fibre in my area. I'm paying $53 for 15mb internet :smith:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Acer Pilot posted:

Anyone see the $49.90 Shaw 150mb plan? I see people matching it with Telus but I apparently don't have fibre in my area. I'm paying $53 for 15mb internet :smith:

The $49.90 plan is a promo available to new Shaw customers who sign up with a two year contract, with the price going to $79.90 for the second year.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

yeah, i called into telus and they gave me the fastest internet i could get in my neighbourhood for $35/mo and "unlimited usage." they lowered my phonebill to $15 too which was nice.

too bad there was no fibre though :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just got the Shaw 150 installed:

Nice!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone know if you can cancel Telus service at a mall location? Or is it call in only?

Every time I call I've had to wait 20 minutes plus and ended up having to hang up because I had to do other things. So far 3 times. It's pretty ridiculous.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Working as intended if you ask me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, I understand that's their game but god drat. It's nutty.

Next time I'm just gonna hammer agent instead of hitting #4 for discontinuing service, gently caress it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

priznat posted:

Just got the Shaw 150 installed:

Nice!

I got them coming Saturday. Not sure what I'll do with this speed but here we go.

They called saying my caps are breaching but since when did they give a poo poo? But maybe they'll start enforcing it now.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I think it depends on what area you're in. Last time I had Shaw they called me about it a few times but never actually did anything about me going over. The 150 comes with 1Tb, so that should help.

I just got my 150 hooked up. I'm actually getting 178mb/s down :getin:

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Jeez. Aside from the various other quality of life and convenience improvements that'll come with it, I'll be glad when I can move back to an area with decent broadband options. The best we have available here is ~7 Mbps DSL from MTS for $65/month.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

Anyone know if you can cancel Telus service at a mall location? Or is it call in only?

Every time I call I've had to wait 20 minutes plus and ended up having to hang up because I had to do other things. So far 3 times. It's pretty ridiculous.
In my experience here at least, the mall storefronts are just independents that are allowed to use "Telus" name for advertising - they want you to think they are Telus themselves, but they aren't.

For example, one in the mall here has a big Telus sign and it looks like a telus storefront, but it's really something like "AWC Mobile" or something. I would be surprised if they can do home service but worth asking I guess.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

slidebite posted:

In my experience here at least, the mall storefronts are just independents that are allowed to use "Telus" name for advertising - they want you to think they are Telus themselves, but they aren't.

For example, one in the mall here has a big Telus sign and it looks like a telus storefront, but it's really something like "AWC Mobile" or something. I would be surprised if they can do home service but worth asking I guess.

Yeah I've never really paid too much attention to any of those carrier places in malls.

I managed to finally get thru to someone at Telus and cancel, and they send me out a box to return the modem.

One thing I do really like with Shaw is the wifi they have around. The rec centre has it and is in a fido dead zone so it's nice being able to have iMessage and browsing while taking the kids to swim lessons.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Hungry Computer posted:

I think it depends on what area you're in. Last time I had Shaw they called me about it a few times but never actually did anything about me going over. The 150 comes with 1Tb, so that should help.

I just got my 150 hooked up. I'm actually getting 178mb/s down :getin:

Technically it seems to be a suggestion based on their starred messaged at the bottomed which doesn't charge you when you go over.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chillyrabbit posted:

Technically it seems to be a suggestion based on their starred messaged at the bottomed which doesn't charge you when you go over.

They don't "charge" but they do bump you up to the next expensive package. If you're over for 3 months on the top package they cut your internet off for 2 days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

I managed to finally get thru to someone at Telus and cancel, and they send me out a box to return the modem.

Make absolutely sure you keep the receipt with the tracking number. Telus is infamous for saying they "never received it" and billing you for the hardware on your last bill unless you have a tracking number to prove it was received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

slidebite posted:

Make absolutely sure you keep the receipt with the tracking number. Telus is infamous for saying they "never received it" and billing you for the hardware on your last bill unless you have a tracking number to prove it was received.

Will do! Just got the box. Will drop it at the post office tomorrow.

Overall very happy with the transition to Shaw, the speed is kick rear end and the roaming wifi is actually very handy. There are a ton of locations I go to that has it and it auto-joins.

I always activate my VPN on my phone when I leave the house anyway so I'm all set.