Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Automatic Slim posted:

There's no wheelbarrows. There's no manual labor. They just beam up the body parts and rematerialize it in where ever the collection of undifferentiated organic matter is stored. Out of sight, out of mind. The only thing that takes any effort is Picard trying to think of something original and not try to telephone it when he sends the condolence letter.

Computer, one condolence letter, somber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Holodeck, one Dave Berry please.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
"Computer, replicate me a somber and appropriate condolence letter."

*stained Taco Bell wrapper with the word 'SUCKS' scrawled in brown crayon appears*

"No, no, replicate me a much more appropriate and well written letter."

*thousands of pages of incredibly overwrought nonsense start spewing out the replicator like Fibber McGee's closet*

"gently caress it, I'll do it myself."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tectonis posted:

Computer, one condolence letter, somber.

*computer generates basic form letter*

"No... More feeling."

*Computer generates tear-stained letter written on parchment made from a sample of Picard's skin*

"Hmmm, yes, that will work."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Somewhere in the depths of the Enterprise is Joacuin Phoenix's and Chris Pratt's characters from 'Her'.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Dear Mr & Mrs Rickey,

I regret to inform you of your son's demise, but I trust you will find solace in the fact that the matter of his body will provide 3 replacement uniforms and 3 meatloaf dinners for the crew that he gave his life to protect.

Sincerely,
John Luck Pickerd

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dear Mr & Mrs Rickey,

I regret to inform you of your son's demise, but I trust you will find solace in the fact that the matter of his body will provide 3 replacement uniforms and 3 meatloaf dinners for the crew that he gave his life to protect.

Sincerely,
John Luck Pickerd

It's Gene Luck Pickerd :eng101:

At least I remember it being Gene Luck, I don't feel like looking it up.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

From the desk of Chakotay,

I regret to inform you of your sons demise at the claws and teeth of a cave dwelling monster on a volcano planet. We made water from his corpse though so it wasn't all bad.

Acoocheemoya,
Chakotay

*encode for delivery when within range of Earth*

*Does Space Peyote*

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
jean

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Mean Gene Picard

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

Eddington describes the problem of replicated food perfectly. Why are you inventing new theories?

Eddingtons a whiny crybaby with a gigantic martyr complex. I don't take anything he has to say seriously.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Baronjutter posted:

So replicators need matter to do their stuff, but where do they get their matter from? Is there a central matter bank or does each replicator have its own storage? A series of matter pipes all over the ship? Or something super inefficient like beaming the matter to each replicator every time it needs a re-fill?

Baronjutter posted:

So the ships in trek use anti-matter to make tons and tons of power, which then drives everything else, but where do they get the anti-matter? Fuel doesn't really ever seem to be a problem for them, so I assume they just have decades worth of antimatter to fuel the ship? I guess that's why when a ship loses containment it really really blows. But in that case all the ships destroyed in those big tight starwars-esq DS9 battles should have wiped out every other ship nearby once their fuel went up. Unless they have some safe way of storing something that they can then turn into anti-matter safely and it's only the anti-matter currently "burning" in the core that is a danger?

I don't think it's ever elaborated on in the series. The TNG tech manual suggests that the replicators draw matter from central tanks. I think actually the replicator system was originally intended to be something like one or two central replicators that then beam the finished product to the local terminal.

As for antimatter, again not specified in the series (but it makes complete sense), the tech manual says that most antimatter generation is done by central antimatter manufacturing facilities located in orbit around stars; basically they park huge solar arrays relatively close to stars, and use that energy to drive antimatter generators, and then they use tanker ships to transport the antimatter to starbases, other facilities, and very occasionally directly to starships that need a refueling.

Keep in mind that when a ship blows up, a lot of the antimatter isn't going to immediately react with matter - a lot of it will get scattered, a lot will react at different times. A ship blowing apart is not going to be nearly as efficient as a purpose-built warhead.

naem
May 29, 2011

angerbeet posted:

Why haven't the Betazoids just taken over everything? Just like to gently caress too much.

I mean if you can read minds and can always tell who's dtf 24/7 can you blame them?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Highschool must be traumatic for Betazoids. Going through awkward phases and every neurotic insecurity turns out to be true. And then some.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 22, 2016

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
My parents would have been called in because I kept looking at Mr Davis' bulge and thinking "omg his nutsack must be so big I just want to taste it".

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

criscodisco posted:

My parents would have been called in because I kept looking at Mr Davis' bulge and thinking "omg his nutsack must be so big I just want to taste it".

It would've been a bonding moment. I'm sure your parents would've thought the same.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
icheb is way cooler than that dweeb wesley crusher. c/d?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
also lol how disappointed do u think wesley was when it turned out he grew up to be a pudgy manlet instead of the beefcake he was temporarily turned into when Q gave Riker Q powers

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Didn't Wesley learn how to bend reality with the help of "The Traveller"™?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Noctone posted:

icheb is way cooler than that dweeb wesley crusher. c/d?

Totally confirm.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My wife actually picked up Wes Wheaton's book on her e-reader for like $0.10 when he started being a thing again thanks to The Guild/Big Bang THeory.

Did you know that after TNG and thanks in large part to Stand By Me, he dedicated 3-5 years of his life to intense actor's training...

Which never really paid off because he's kind of a middling actor and aged right the gently caress out of the range he would have been super employable at while he was doing that intense training.

Basically, imagine Macaulay Culkin gets the giant pallet of cash after Home Alone and says "This is a craft. I'm dropping out of the business so I can hone my art" like he's some thespian Goku.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

FilthyImp posted:

My wife actually picked up Wes Wheaton's book on her e-reader for like $0.10 when he started being a thing again thanks to The Guild/Big Bang THeory.

Did you know that after TNG and thanks in large part to Stand By Me, he dedicated 3-5 years of his life to intense actor's training...

Which never really paid off because he's kind of a middling actor and aged right the gently caress out of the range he would have been super employable at while he was doing that intense training.

Basically, imagine Macaulay Culkin gets the giant pallet of cash after Home Alone and says "This is a craft. I'm dropping out of the business so I can hone my art" like he's some thespian Goku.

Yeah, it's hard not to feel bad for the guy. He was in high demand after Stand By Me, but he was already in a contract with TNG. I heard him in an interview where he was asked to be in several movies and when he'd request permission to do them the TNG producers would deny his request, claiming that they had a big arc planned with Wesley that season. They season he was in like 2 episodes.

Edit: also he got real ugly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just watched Remember (Season 3, Episode 6). It starts out with Torres being telepathically-given sex dreams and turns into a loving wild story about undesirable people in a society being executed en masse under the pretense of relocation. :wtc:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think it's ever elaborated on in the series. The TNG tech manual suggests that the replicators draw matter from central tanks. I think actually the replicator system was originally intended to be something like one or two central replicators that then beam the finished product to the local terminal.

I remember in DS9 Odo saying something like "replicators are just modified transporters". I always assumed this meant that they could convert matter into energy and back again like transporters, but instead of using the pattern of the original object they use a pattern in their memory banks. So while Worf's turd has a chance of becoming Troi's next chocolate sundae, it also has a chance of fueling Riker's latest sex dungeon hologram programme. But them just transporting things from a central replicator probably makes more sense.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I could swear in The Encounter at Farpoint they mention that matter and energy are interchangeable so really once it turns into energy you're just eating battery juice anyway.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
I think you're right; it's not long after the bowl of apples appears.

Automatic Slim posted:

In the Best of Both Worlds they burned out the main deflector and couldn't go anywhere. It wasn't stated outright but that's pretty much what would happen if they did.

I'm sure there was an epsiode or maybe two in Voyager where they went to warp with the inertial dampeners offline...

You need quite a few things working to go to warp, not just the drives.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
When I was a kid my dad told me that the replicated food was so nutritionally perfect that your body used 100% of the matter and you only took a dump when you are on other planets. He used to say lots of crazy stuff.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
computer make a nice juicy aple for chief obrien copmuter put a turd inside the apple

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Computer next time vhief obrien goes for a poo poo keep transporting more turds into his colon

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

criscodisco posted:

and you only took a dump when you are on other planets.

As a sign of respect, I assume.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I watched First Contact last night. Why Trek is piss?

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I've always thought the only economy that makes sense in the ST universe is energy based, and STO supports this by having "energy credits". It's the one thing that they've sort of admitted is a pain to get a hold of, since they still have manned dilithium mines even in the federation. You can replicate tools and clothes and the big industrial ones can give you shuttle parts and whatnot, but they all cost energy that you may not get back (like Voyager's many shuttle accidents and torpedos fully spreaded).

A lowly ensign would get, I dunno, 200 credits a week. A replicated meal would cost you 20 credits so you can't go crazy and fill your quarters with ice cream, but if you eat at the mess hall it's free because most of the food would come from local planets.

Not that they ever acted on it but in Voyager they implied a replicator rationing system that supports this too. If Harry Kim goes and replicates himself a museum's worth of clarinets then it could reduce power to the extent that they wouldn't be able to just dissolve them back into energy. They could strand themselves too far from more antimatter or dilithium and their engines would fail completely.

Energy would be rationed for survival purposes but otherwise it would totally be a perk of rank. Riker could replicate trombones all day and just expense it to the ship events account or whatever, but the lieutenant on drums probably had to save up for a couple months before he could make his kit. Neelix probably has a chef's account so he can freely make plates and cutlery and whatnot, but maybe Harry and Tuvok both chipped in for the kal-toh set because it's a complicated pattern and costs a lot. Worf eats almost exclusively at ten forward because he keeps replicating totally sweet knives and candles and what, request denied insufficient credits? Guess I have to sit in the middle of a hundred people to sip my prune juice.

This concludes my essay on why Janeway was a total bitch for offering to bring only croutons to a potluck that one time.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Didn't TNG retcon (or clarify) that dilithium crystals didn't provide energy? They were just a catalyst that in TOS would degrade over time but by TNG era they figured out how to prevent degradation so while they were still necessary any given ship would only ever need one set through its entire operating life.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Warp reactors are basically solar powered. Solar powered particle accelerators in space stations make the antimatter. Everything on the ground is solar or fusion. Energy isn't a super big problem except in weird circumstances, especially because they basically have insane control of the EM force, allowing them to just take energy from things whenever

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Ah yeah that could be the case, unfortunately it's Voyager that provides a lot of the insight on the possible economy since they need to at least occasionally pay lip service to the fact they have limited resources. Still we know the warp core provides the majority of the power, if they're irresponsible and run short on antimatter and they're too far from a star to scoop more then that's game. Otherwise I think it's still a perk of the rank and good practice for long term sustainability.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Computer transport the spent jizz from the floor of holodeck 5 into chief obriens hipflask

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Is there any reason they couldn't just slave the shuttle cores into Voyager in a low power scenario?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Volcott posted:

Is there any reason they couldn't just slave the shuttle cores into Voyager in a low power scenario?

would probably be like trying to power a tesla off your cellphone

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Shuttles still have warp power though. They could power lots of secondary systems like a car battery. And why did they have to ration stuff. Voyager found a non-belligerent civilization every third week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

The original keiko went missing years ago and obrian has been transporter cloning new ones every couple years

Sometimes he makes the new one watch him stuff the old one down the garbage chute