Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I actually found pyro to be really ineffective in 2 compared to 1. Maybe I was using it wrong but it barely did any damage, even upgraded all the way to +10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Suspicious Dish posted:

I actually found pyro to be really ineffective in 2 compared to 1. Maybe I was using it wrong but it barely did any damage, even upgraded all the way to +10.

Magic, including Pyromancy, was overpowered in Dark Souls. In Dark Souls II it's just about right. It's useful without trivializing everything you use it on.

In Demon's Souls Magic was downright broken, if you had sufficiently high stats there were a lot of bosses you could three shot easily without overleveling. They nerfed it a bit with each game.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It was even more broken in DS1, there are videos on Youtube showing how to one-shot every single boss in the game.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Geop posted:

I'd prefer that Goonther just be *really* flexible

Confirmed Max Agility build for goonther, you heard it here first.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Magic, including Pyromancy, was overpowered in Dark Souls. In Dark Souls II it's just about right. It's useful without trivializing everything you use it on.

In Demon's Souls Magic was downright broken, if you had sufficiently high stats there were a lot of bosses you could three shot easily without overleveling. They nerfed it a bit with each game.

Everything has resists for everything in Dark Souls and those resists follow a theme. This can also factor in to the feeling that magic seems ineffective since you could get that magic and try it out expecting it to be great but it turns out your hitting an enemy in one of their highest resists :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

Everything has resists for everything in Dark Souls and those resists follow a theme. This can also factor in to the feeling that magic seems ineffective since you could get that magic and try it out expecting it to be great but it turns out your hitting an enemy in one of their highest resists :v:
I'm going to have some rather angry words about this in a couple years when we hit the DLC.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Geop posted:

I mentioned it earlier in here and in an earlier ep (when I first got it) but 10% additional protection isn't a big deal to me, especially given how blocking seems to largely not be as effective in DS2 =\ I'd have to put in some more strength and account for like 3 more units I think? Just not worth it from what I saw.

Yeah, I figured as much! :v: Given how DS1 worked, upping your main driving stats for a weapon/item would make it stand out more, definitely, but in the end, its quality/upgraded level were the biggest details. More than min-maxing, I'd prefer that Goonther just be *really* flexible in what he can use.

totally reasonable on both counts! a jack-of-all-trades build is the most fun way to play dark souls if you're not planning to do multiple runs through the game.

hopefully at some point your friendly game companions will guide you to the Land of Titanite, so you can play around with more weapon types. might be a while, though...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Geop posted:

More than min-maxing, I'd prefer that Goonther just be *really* flexible in what he can use.

Just tape another Goonther to his back.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just tape another Goonther to his back.

I imagine one will be using spear+shield while the other is powerstancing claws.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
Goonther must go on a quest to find the Flexile Stone. It's like the Dragon Torso Stone from the first game, except it doubles up your torso and turns him into Flexile Goonther.

And they're both powerstancing Greatswords. And the special attack is using all of those swords like helicopter blades to fly.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Two Goonthers bound together, but only one may win Lucatiel's heart.

I mean, if he's her type.

He really hopes so.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"M'Lucatiel"

*Tips onion helmet*

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

PSWII60 posted:

Not sure why some people hate Lost Bastille, I thought it was one of the better made and more memorable areas in the game.

This

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

If only Goonther had been wearing his Falconer helm... Then his brilliant plumage might have caught her attention! :ohdear:

After all, Lucatiel is obviously a classy lady who appreciates a fine feathered hat.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Personally I found the level architecture really boring to look at. Square blue-ish white room followed with blue/white corridor followed by square room ... there needed to be more variety in both environment design and color palette

PSWII60 posted:

Not sure why some people hate Lost Bastille, I thought it was one of the better made and more memorable areas in the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

double nine posted:

Personally I found the level architecture really boring to look at. Square blue-ish white room followed with blue/white corridor followed by square room ... there needed to be more variety in both environment design and color palette

Yup, its all boxes and right angles. Awful.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

MGlBlaze posted:

And they're both powerstancing Greatswords. And the special attack is using all of those swords like helicopter blades to fly.
Tenno Identified.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

That's fantastic!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Fish Noise does it again. :neckbeard:

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
That Gif is loving great.

Also... yes, I do actually play Warframe quite a lot. Not entirely sure how quad-ultragreatsword-greatsword jape hinted at that which freaks me out a little but okay. :stare:

Fake edit: Wait, I think I just got it. Kinda forgot Coptering existed before they reworked the movement system. (For the uninitiated, it was a physics bug that let you slide attack with the melee weapon in mid air to go stupidly fast if it was a fast animation.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Ah, so did they finally remove the exploit with the Dual Zorens? I stopped playing before the melee update, so most of the melee weapons I cared about were quick weapons for air-dashing/big weapons like the Galatine to hit like a truck/gimmicky weapons like the Jat Kittag.

In the old days of the game, before the melee update, this thing could be charged to spin like a faster version of the halberd 2HR2s in the Souls games. And with appropriate weapon mods, you could make it spin really fast. :flashfact:

Edit: Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that the game has gotten big enough to support its own (small) loving convention.

vv That was exactly the point.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 20, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
It was one of those rare iconic bug-turned-mechanic-turned-slightly-fumbled-philosophy-shifts. And yeah, Parkour 2.0 was when they replaced coptering and extreme range airdashing with a universal easy speed system.
But before I put yet another thread onto the Warframe train again, uh...

Didn't the ship chest use to be on the other end of the room, and got moved in SotFS because basically everyone immediately poked the astrolabe thingie?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

geop you've gotten a lot better at this game.

Yet the poor Drangleic shield sits in goonther's bag, alone and forgotten.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I absolutely hated the Lost Bastille for spoilery reasons. gently caress this place.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

Tenno Identified.
:allears:

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

I didn't realise that the water rose or that flexile sentry was a lizard :(

The correlation coefficient of try jumping to deaths is currently around -0.17, which I THINK means that Kuvo is actually helping? (Statistics is not my strong point)

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Grizlor posted:

There are a few areas now that are very "that's scholar for you!" :zerg:

All my experience was pre scholar so maybe that influences my opinion of the place somewhat.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PSWII60 posted:

All my experience was pre scholar so maybe that influences my opinion of the place somewhat.
It's not that bad and IMO makes it more entertaining. Geop's probably going to run into this particular change the next video, then the threadwide cursing can begin in earnest.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

gibb3h posted:

I didn't realise that the water rose or that flexile sentry was a lizard :(

The correlation coefficient of try jumping to deaths is currently around -0.17, which I THINK means that Kuvo is actually helping? (Statistics is not my strong point)

That would imply that the more Kuvo says "try jumping", the less geop dies, so yeah he's helping in theory

But a correlation coefficient with an absolute value that low is barely any effect at all, so

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Geop posted:

Yeah, I figured as much! :v: Given how DS1 worked, upping your main driving stats for a weapon/item would make it stand out more, definitely, but in the end, its quality/upgraded level were the biggest details. More than min-maxing, I'd prefer that Goonther just be *really* flexible in what he can use.

Yeah, that's exactly what Pyromancy is good for with low stats. In exhange for not being quite as OP as it was in Dark Souls 1, DaS2 adds a bunch of new spells to the mix. Including some great non-offensive utlity spells! Some of them can be pretty hard to find, but hopefully your cohorts will aim you at their direction.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Wow, that statue is a dick move.

Wow, that thing was also a dick move.

Dick move Scholar. Dick move.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I can't help but remember that rear end in a top hat Nelo Angelo from Devil May Cry 1 whenever Pursuer shows up after the initial boss battle, it's a neat fight and all but it gets old fast.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I appreciate the pursuer being true to his name in Scholar. He's also a chump and is worth some good souls, so it's generally worth your time.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Welp, that was new. And a dick move. And great.

I don't remember the mummy jailer guys having pyromancy before. I never saw them use it in vanilla DS2. Did they add it in Scholar?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont know what it is, but the area between 7.00 - 9.00 just looks so poorly constructed.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Slaan posted:

I don't remember the mummy jailer guys having pyromancy before. I never saw them use it in vanilla DS2. Did they add it in Scholar?

No, they always had it. Additionally, they can drop a certain pyromancy but it's a pretty rare drop.

*E* Hahahaha, Geop finds the Pursuer again!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Slaan posted:

At least a few of them would throw pyromancy on the original version, though for obvious reasons they'd be more prone to toss it when you were at range.

I was surprised that it took the Pursuer so long to show up in the courtyard. His spawn trigger is somewhere around the opposite end, so by his nature he's designed to catch you off guard if you're fighting the dogs and being unwary. But luckily, while wandering "out of bounds" will despawn him it's possible to respawn him by resetting at a bonfire. And this sort of thing was the original plan for the Pursuer, that by showing up beyond just the Forest of Fallen Giants he would be legitimately pursuing you. It should also be noted that this particular spawn started out with the red-eyed glow, and that's not just for show.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"One of those seems super interesting but because of the way all the mechanics works it just sorta sucks." Oh Dark Souls 2.

If you noticed the Pursuer also went away because you led him off the grass. Guess he hates cobblestones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

the pursuer sucks and is the main reason why the lost bastille sucks

• Locked thread