Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Just watched a NY and Atlanta on my team loving cower in a corner in fear because an enemy Omaha was...running away from them shooting. The Atlanta was at full health. I hate the players in this game so much. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

The big problem at T9 in particular is that the Fletcher utterly outclasses the Kagero. Far better guns, nearly as good concealment, better health and faster. Kagero gets longer-ranged, very slightly more damaging torpedoes, but Fletcher both gets more of them AND they're spotted later, making them harder to dodge. 10.5 km for Fletcher's torps is also perfectly long enough 90% of the time. Oh, and not complete poo poo AA for "historical" reasons.

The constant nerfs to IJN torpedoes in particular due to retards who can't figure out how to strategically plan around them has caused issues to trying to play IJN destroyers at higher tiers. gently caress the whiners, Long Lances should be some of the hardest to spot torpedoes in the game, not nearly the easiest.

The poo poo team disparities like that are especially noticeable on Domination, since DDs are expected to cap, and when one team is only getting IJN destroyers, and the other team is getting a shitload of US ones, it's incredibly hard for the IJN ones to even contest caps, let alone grab them.

It made no sense to me to nerf the hell out of the long lances to the point where the Fletcher is arguably just as good a torpedo boat as the Kagero, and better at everything else. One of my friends is pretty new to the game and got all the way up to the Fubuki. I think if he had bought the Kagero he may have quit by now. He's up to the Tashkent now and enjoying that line way more. Im guessing in 6 months they will look at the numbers and see that the IJN botes stats dropped off a cliff and relent slightly.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Most of my games tonight weren't that hot, but this one made up for it.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
https://na.warships.today/player/1018360115/Redeye_Flight

I feel really good about this. Look at that improvement chart. I think I'm actually starting to get this.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Redeye Flight posted:

https://na.warships.today/player/1018360115/Redeye_Flight

I feel really good about this. Look at that improvement chart. I think I'm actually starting to get this.

You are doing good, but focus on staying alive longer in a game. I think the most important way to do that is to not be the first ship people see. Its taken me a lot of games to get this hammered into my skull, but at the start of the match, only go 1/2 or 3/4 speed and let someone else catch the shells.
People tend to fixate on the lowest health ship they can see, and if you were the first ship spotted, odds are you took more of a beating then others.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I just got out of the German Tier 4 cruiser and have gotten into the Konigsburg. Can I expect much of an improvement from this ship or will it just be a marginal gain?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

SkySteak posted:

So I just got out of the German Tier 4 cruiser and have gotten into the Konigsburg. Can I expect much of an improvement from this ship or will it just be a marginal gain?

Compared to the Karlsruhe it'll be the most amazing ship in the game.

The Konigsburg is probably the second best T5 cruiser (best non-premium is Furry Taco currently) and the Karlsruhe is the worst T4 cruiser.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hah, that enemy tirpitz was the best player on their team. No wonder he was so salty when he t-boned me and died (I died too, though).

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

The Budyonny is down in the special place with the Myogi and one of the low tier German ones that I forgot because they all start with K as the singular worst ships to exist in the game, and I'm seriously considering burning half my free XP just to get out of the shittacular thing before it makes me quit the game again for another 3 months.

Any tier 6 that bounces AP shells on the broadside of a loving Kuma needs to be taken out behind the shed, and replaced in the tree with something that's actually playable, I mean for fucks sake, I can citadel a Kuma to death with a Clemson.

e: Just really loving angry that I get 1 more battle before the reset, I take out the Budyonny, I get a top tier game with 3 battleships, 1 destroyer, and 11 cruiser per side, of which all bar a Cleveland are tier 5 and 4, and all I can manage is 71 hits from 303 shells that do a paltry 3 fires (with the DE skill) and 36k damage, because these guns are utterly, completely worthless, before getting boom citadeled by a Fuso. Fuckit.

Wow, get gud.

And btw, that was my second game in the ship. I did freexp the range upgrade, but it is still the stock hull.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ToiletDuckie posted:

It's probably a lack of understanding of late-tier, but I bought a Tirpitz on a whim and it's been... painful. I do more damage on average with a Svietlana. It's a constant stream of Tier VIII-X games that are 45/40/10/5 BB/DD/CL/CV split where you either get invisi-burned/torped or end up facing a Montana/Yamato.

Nagato feels nowhere near as painful since it's usually in VI-VIII games with more even mix of ship types. Is this just early confirmation bias?

Iiiii think it's just you, Tirpitz is amazing. You just can't hang back and snipe with it, despite the excellent range.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JuffoWup posted:

Wow, get gud.

And btw, that was my second game in the ship. I did freexp the range upgrade, but it is still the stock hull.

181 hits?

How in the gently caress are you guys in range of people for long enough to fire that many rounds?

Man I am really bad at this game.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Inspector_666 posted:

181 hits?

How in the gently caress are you guys in range of people for long enough to fire that many rounds?

Those ships also have a lot of guns, unlike the ships you usually use

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

181 hits?

A Budy can put a shitload of shells downrange pretty quickly. Plus at higher tiers things have a lot more health and armor to soak hits.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

A Budy can put a shitload of shells downrange pretty quickly. Plus at higher tiers things have a lot more health and armor to soak hits.

This really. The second screenshot was to point out that I was in a tier 8 match. I spent a lot of time shooting at atagos and an amagi. The torps went to a close range brawl with a new mex as the game was coming to an end. There was a lot of waffling on the side I was on for awhile before my team figured out how to shoot properly.

Edit: I see World of Destroyers is back in vogue. Now with withering he spam instead of torpedo walls!

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 22, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
6 DD's and a tier 9 CV. Sometimes you just gotta take one for the team. And by one I mean a lot of torps.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

cheese posted:

6 DD's and a tier 9 CV. Sometimes you just gotta take one for the team. And by one I mean a lot of torps.

The cv left my alone actually. What mostly I did for the team is just get focused by both khabs and the molotov kutuzov. All chucking he at me. A nor cal just kept it more interesting as I had to dance carefully to keep from giving him a citadel as well. I ended the match with fireproof and dreadnought for awards though. And 4th place in the xp. None of their ships could push past a single cap after my team took the other two and just flanked out there.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 22, 2016

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

If one enjoys the Molotov, would the Kutuzov be worth picking up?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
If we're talking about crazy games we had last night this happened to me on my first game:

Replay here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2544218/20160721_232948_PASB008-Colorado-1945_13_OC_new_dawn.wowsreplay

Literally finished the match with 388 hp and the shells from a Texas mid-flight towards my side. One of them even managed to hit and bounce off me before the game ended. We were down for most of the game too so I can't believe we won that one.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

El Disco posted:

Compared to the Karlsruhe it'll be the most amazing ship in the game.

The Konigsburg is probably the second best T5 cruiser (best non-premium is Furry Taco currently) and the Karlsruhe is the worst T4 cruiser.

That is wonderful to hear!

I do have a bit of a general question but I am not quite sure how to word it so forgive me if this doesn't end up making sense. The start of the match I will often accompany other ships (Be it my own squadronmates or just random pubs) into one side of the map. I usually try and find islands to hide around but myself basically travelling a route almost. I'll go the island, takes some shots at enemies and then, due to speed and turning radius, be forced to move somewhere else and sometimes I end up exposing myself this way. I mean the Karl's guns are only 11.7 km which probably didn't help but really I have to ask, is there any good rule of thumb or guide to positioning yourself well?

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Update: Holy poo poo, HOLY poo poo. :stare:

I take it back, I totally take it back, I get it now.

I still slightly prefer the Kongo though.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
If your loving the Fuso wait until you get the Amagi. It's like a Fuso with fewer weaknesses and a bigger hammer.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Minenfeld! posted:

If one enjoys the Molotov, would the Kutuzov be worth picking up?

Kutuzov is a Budy with a 2nd rear turret and smoke for some reason. They definitely don't have the opportunity to dunk of people as well as a Molotov.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 22, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

1.7 k base exp top spot on the winning team in my Kagero, STILL lost 17k credits since I couldn't do much damage - only about 27k. gently caress retard CVs(it was a dual CV game) incapable of picking their own targets. "What's that? A wall of torpedoes headed towards that battleship? Let's send all our own attack waves against that one instead of anything else, failing to sink it AND causing it to swerve enough to dodge the ship-launched torpedoes. Repeatedly."

Third time was especially poo poo, as the target in question was an Iowa, and it was dual T7 CVs. They put a few torpedoes into it for some damage, lost basically their entire attack wave, and turned it out of the far more damaging destroyer torpedoes. Congrats, dipshits.

Only won because the other team was even more terrible, as they did a piss poor job actually screening against the enemy CVs as well.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 22, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Oh god, that pissed me off so much in my mutsuki. Perfect torp launch, only destroyed because a bunch oh cruisers decided now was a good time to shoot at the guy causing him to turn away including away from my torps.

Granted, the slow rear end torps on mutsuki wasn't helping the situation any.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

SkySteak posted:

Step 1: Load AP
Step 2: Angle towards (or away from if you're a coward) the enemy.
Step 3: Become the God-King of tier 5, smiting down cruisers and battleships alike with your amazing AP.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I have a confession. I don't like the Amagi. I don't get it, and I don't like it. I hate the 5x2 turret config. I always end up in awkward positions where I struggle to bring the rear turrets to bear. Citadels are a total mystery with the shells. It feels like the armor is total garbage compared to an NC, who just points his bow towards me and sends 6 shots my way every volley.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

cheese posted:

I have a confession. I don't like the Amagi. I don't get it, and I don't like it. I hate the 5x2 turret config. I always end up in awkward positions where I struggle to bring the rear turrets to bear. Citadels are a total mystery with the shells. It feels like the armor is total garbage compared to an NC, who just points his bow towards me and sends 6 shots my way every volley.

Yeah, I've noticed that it is way too citadel prone. I'll shoot them happily when I see them because I know I'll get a citadel if I get anywhere near mid ship. Even if I am in a new mex.

Hell, I've citadeled them in a kongo as well.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

SkySteak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0P_6vw5Ho

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SkySteak posted:

Among other things you can expect turrets, range, and speed.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

El Disco posted:

Just watched a NY and Atlanta on my team loving cower in a corner in fear because an enemy Omaha was...running away from them shooting. The Atlanta was at full health. I hate the players in this game so much. :cripes:

That's pretty pitiful. Even in a battleship I am wary of Atlantas, since they can set me all the way on fire and there's jack poo poo I can do about it unless I get lucky and citadel them instantly.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that it is way too citadel prone. I'll shoot them happily when I see them because I know I'll get a citadel if I get anywhere near mid ship. Even if I am in a new mex.

Hell, I've citadeled them in a kongo as well.

Amagi has very thin armor, given it's a battlecruiser rather than a proper battleship, but has excellent deflection if you're at a decent angle - better than the North Carolina (or at least it used to; they keep buffing US battleship armor, so not sure how the situation stands at the moment, or how it will be after the next patch). So on a broadside most things can pen or citadel it, but it starts bouncing most shots once there's a moderate angle.

Playing it is something of a fine art of knowing when you can risk bringing the rear guns to bear, and when you should be staying mostly bow on.

edit: Just finished filling out that Ranked Season 4 survey. Concisely laid out just what was wrong with the star system, as well as calling out just why Tears of the Desert and Shatter are such complete poo poo maps. Not that I really expect it to do anything.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 23, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

Amagi has very thin armor, given it's a battlecruiser rather than a proper battleship, but has excellent deflection if you're at a decent angle - better than the North Carolina (or at least it used to; they keep buffing US battleship armor, so not sure how the situation stands at the moment, or how it will be after the next patch). So on a broadside most things can pen or citadel it, but it starts bouncing most shots once there's a moderate angle.

Playing it is something of a fine art of knowing when you can risk bringing the rear guns to bear, and when you should be staying mostly bow on.

edit: Just finished filling out that Ranked Season 4 survey. Concisely laid out just what was wrong with the star system, as well as calling out just why Tears of the Desert and Shatter are such complete poo poo maps. Not that I really expect it to do anything.

Personally I like Shatter. There's some silly poo poo that can happen. The middle ends up being a crazy thunderdome sometimes. Its best when the teams push down opposite sides, then move in towards the middle cap and brawl it out. Not the usual snipefest where one team loses because their DDs died and they can't contest points due to the hilariously dangerous islands near them.

Tears of the Desert, though, is... not that great. At least its different, I guess. Could do with some additional cover in the middle, though, as it stands the middle is just a trap to get DDs out in the open so they can get plastered from all over the map when they get spotted. Also, the island setup is so awful that it makes DDs going into the middle question their decisions when they can't torp anything, since there's too many rocks in the way.

As for Ranked, I didn't grind it past 15. I didn't have time to play, mostly, but that coupled with the lack of irrevocable ranks near the top, removal of stars gained on rank up, and T7 being painful to play, I just couldn't work up the effort to even log in to try. Hopefully next time around we get stars back on rank up, plus maybe even bonus stars for being on a winning streak. Anything to make advancing more fun, and falling behind less frustrating. Its enough to swear off ranked forever when you sit down for a long session, and end up 2 ranks behind where you started at the end.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The problem with both is that the spawn points are so far apart, and what spawns where is randomized, that, assuming equivalent team skill levels, you can end up with a match decided by how MM decides to split the teams between the points, rather than anything the players themselves are doing. A battleship spawning in the middle of nowhere, incapable of supporting anyone or really pushing due to the season being destroyer central, is basically out of the match for a huge portion of the fight due to its speed.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Latin Pheonix posted:

Update: Holy poo poo, HOLY poo poo. :stare:

I take it back, I totally take it back, I get it now.

I still slightly prefer the Kongo though.

Told you it was a good ship :smug:

Seriously though, good game there. For me, I was sold on the Fuso back in closed beta when I broadsided another Fuso for 40k damage after popping out around an island. (as a bonus, a friend who prefers cruisers was trying to figure out AP shells. He understood after seeing that. :v:)

IMO, the Fuso is to me like the T32, and the Kongo is like the T29 on WoT. The T29/Kongo is IMO the best in it's class and tier, and while the Fuso and T32 are better in absolute terms, they're not quite as good in their class/tier as the previous one (but still pretty loving good)

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
It took 5 games to get my double in my new mexico today. But in the end, I got it and boy did I get it good

:feelsgood:

Edit: Hah, the mission rewards total was x3.75 commander xp.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 23, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Urgh, trying to grind through the German cruiser tree at the moment, and to say it's painful is an understatement. Kolberg is completely loving terrible, and Karlsruhe is possibly even worse.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Urgh, trying to grind through the German cruiser tree at the moment, and to say it's painful is an understatement. Kolberg is completely loving terrible, and Karlsruhe is possibly even worse.

The good news is that the next two ships are amazing. The yorck would be amazing if it wasn't for the fact the shell arc reminds me more of a rocket launch than a gunpowder shell. The flight time is so long that things just readily dodge it while it is in flight.. even battleships.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

The good news is that the next two ships are amazing. The yorck would be amazing if it wasn't for the fact the shell arc reminds me more of a rocket launch than a gunpowder shell. The flight time is so long that things just readily dodge it while it is in flight.. even battleships.

Oh, I know the Konigsberg is good. Played it way back when WG was having people try out the Konigsberg and Gnevy before those two lines were released. Just never bothered to really work on the German cruiser line since.

Anyways, after buying the Karlsruhe and free XPing everything, of course I have to carry the team in my first match with this rustbucket. 92k damage with those 105s(of which 47k was torpedo hits) and all I can think is how much better I probably would have done with literally anything else.

At least the AP on Karlsruhe vaguely works, unlike the AP on Kolberg, or German HE in general.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I picked up a Warspite because of the sale and 2 games in I like it so far. It's turret rotation speed is going to take a while to adjust to, also not having a high skill commander is so very painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tried playing some Yamato games. What a sack of poo poo night.

Game 1: Dual T10 CV match. Our CVs suck balls, to the extent that when surface ships took out one of the enemy CVs, our two STILL couldn't even vaguely contain the singular one left. Ends with their CVs getting 3 kills, and ours manage a whole 1 between them. 150k LOSS

Game 2: Cruisers refuse to screen properly, I eat 2 Kagero torpedoes from full health and detonate. 34k WIN, though I don't really give a poo poo since I got taken out by a detonation early and eat a massive credit hit.

Game 3: Advance in the west with a Tirpitz, 2 cruisers and 3 US destroyers. Our destroyers utterly suck poo poo and all 3 die without killing anything in the first 2 minutes against the enemy DDs. Cruisers proceed to run the gently caress away leaving the 2 BBs to fend for themselves against a huge smoke screen filled with destroyers and a battleship. 45k LOSS. Thankfully a huge chunk of that was taking out a Montana along with damaging multiple destroyers, so I don't eat another huge credit hit, only a moderate one.

Game 4: 3 Yamatos on each side. Me and another Yamato perform fine. Too bad most of the rest of the team sucks poo poo. Our Yamatos sink 5 ships, theirs sink only 4 between them. Shame the rest of the team just dies to everything else on their team, aside from 2 destroyers managing 3 kills between them. 200k LOSS

Manage to actually make money in the last game, so end those 4 matches down merely 140,000 credits.