Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Because its about timing. Even a mercy that sits and does nothing all game but res's at the last second is still contributing (though not exaclty good).

I dunno, I"m not GREAT with Ana, but I don't feed and I generally save folks from dying. I just feel like thats about all she can do.

No, she's not. A Mercy that does nothing but hide in a corner and press Q occasionally is just as much of a waste of a player slot as when Genji does it and her teammates would be totally justified in complaining at her for forcing them to endure a 5.25 vs 6 match.

Stop trying to play Ana in comp until you understand what she's good for and how to use her properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Please don't even ironically joke about giving Tracer buffs. The mere thought of it makes me gag.

Its amazing how little reason there is to care about any of these characters or what they are doing.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Tracer should set up six turrets that shoot lasers and her ult should teleport people from spawn to the control point.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Have the netcode prioritize inputs and actions from Tracers.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Please don't even ironically joke about giving Tracer buffs. The mere thought of it makes me gag.

Its amazing how little reason there is to care about any of these characters or what they are doing.

What are you talking about? The real Overwatch comics feature Soldier-Dad, Grandpa Reinhardt, Team-Mom Ana, and Phara+Mercy raising their goblin child Hana.

Modguy
Nov 9, 2012
In regards to console torb nerfs: Honestly the problem with nerfing tracking is as doing so makes it very easy to have two people corner poke around different corners, causing the turret to do zero damage as it endlessly turns, chasing targets it can never hit. A straight damage nerf translates far more easily into time survived while under turret fire.

Syemmetras nerf is more eyebrow raising, but i will admit that a Symmetra that spaces turrets can be an absolute drat frustration in some situations, and Blizzard has noted previously that PC wise, Symmetra is a "Win harder" pick. Not too difficult to fathom they didnt like that was even further distorted on the console.

Modguy fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 22, 2016

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Also, it's not like the Torb nerf made him useless or unplayable. You need to be a little more aggressive and not let the turret do all the work, but that's all.

I still scoop up PotGs with him while dead, so all is still right with the world.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If anything I saw a lot more Symmetra tonight surprisingly enough and had some really good Torbjorn matches so I think it's OK at least at the QP level.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So killcams. Yay or nay? Can't decide if I should leave it on so I can see what habits get me killed(or shake my fist at the total bullshit), or disable them so I can follow the match better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can skip killcams even when you have them enabled, so there's no reason to turn them off unless you're so lazy you refuse to even press one button

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Canemacar posted:

So killcams. Yay or nay? Can't decide if I should leave it on so I can see what habits get me killed(or shake my fist at the total bullshit), or disable them so I can follow the match better.

You can just skip the killcam if you don't want to watch it. No need to turn them off.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Andrast posted:

You can just skip the killcam if you don't want to watch it. No need to turn them off.

......I did not know that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Internet Kraken posted:

soldier punching reaper in the face was p funny

also he ran up a wall and thats bs i cant do that ingame

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

verbal enema posted:

soldier punching reaper in the face was p funny

also he ran up a wall and thats bs i cant do that ingame

Git gud scrub

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

What's important is that tonight I finally got the Car wash chevo!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Here's a fun little thing about Ana, when you scope in you'll see a triangle. if you're at effective Range with Ana, if you put that triangle over a member of your team, no matter how offset the triangle is, when you fire it will hit them and heal them.

If this doesn't work, you're too far away.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
what they should do is allow Symmetra to upgrade her turrets to lvl2 turrets similar to torbjorn giving them more armor

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

what they should do is allow Symmetra to upgrade her turrets to lvl2 turrets similar to torbjorn giving them more armor

Level 3 should turn them into disco balls.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
What they should do is just give Symmetra a buttload of health so she doesn't die from engaging in 1v1 combat with literally any hero and make her a Tank instead of Support so pubbers don't think she's an actual healer.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Anyone else think Ana's ult might be a little overpowered? Ana + Genji/Reaper ulting is basically an unstoppable team wipe.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Genji is probably overkill and very dependant on him having dragonblade and being good.

Reinhardt on the other hand is a great pick because Nano Boost essentially turns him into a 700 HP Genji.

His hammer will do about 110 damage per swing, cleaves, and he's got fire-strike, charge and earthshatter.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Remove Symmetras Photon Shield, replace with the ability to place hard light platforms (up to two) that allied players can move on and allow them access to other areas. Increase the range of the Photon Projector LMB by 25%, and increase the velocity of RMB by 50%. Move to "Defense".

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NoDamage posted:

Anyone else think Ana's ult might be a little overpowered? Ana + Genji/Reaper ulting is basically an unstoppable team wipe.

I feel like nanoboosted massacre PotGs are going to be the new hotness for a while but trying to look at things objectively, Ana herself is a 200 hitpoint character with no mobility or escape options, a weapon that can't headshot, and her ult more or less has the same effect as, say, Zarya ulting in conjunction with another high-damage ult, so this sort of dynamic already kind of exists in the game, which means that enabling this particular sort of wombo combo is definitely fun but also not a no-brainer must-have. Even after the bitching over everyone playing Ana dies down I imagine "serious" teams are still going to be leaning more heavily on Mercy and Lucio than Ana. If triple support emerges as a thing I'd be more inclined to expect Mercy/Lucio/Zenyatta for the additional DPS.

vvv Edit: yeah also what he said. Hell, you could just doot a nanoboosted target right off a ledge, damage resistance doesn't give you air resistance.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 22, 2016

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

NoDamage posted:

Generally speaking two ults at once in almost any combo will result in a team wipe. The nice thing about Genji and Reaper is that they're still vulnerable to crowd control and normal attacks while ulting. Things like whole hog, earthshatter, a well time graviton surge, Ana's sleep dart, a flashbang, or a Reinhardt pin can end the threat and waste the two comboed ults in use.

Ana is kind of garbage when compared to any of the other heroes that can take that sixth character slot.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Did they buff tracer and I didn't see the notes? There's been a ton more tracers last night and I can't figure out why.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Did they buff tracer and I didn't see the notes? There's been a ton more tracers last night and I can't figure out why.

Probably because there's currently a glut of Anas going around, and snipers are basically the preferred Tracer food.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This is at least the third time Reaper has had someone dead to rights in supplemental material and got his poo poo rocked because he stops to monologue like a dipshit.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This is at least the third time Reaper has had someone dead to rights in supplemental material and got his poo poo rocked because he stops to monologue like a dipshit.

Reaper just wants people to notice him. He's desparate for their love.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Reaper is an angsty bastard who really needs to let everyone know the darkness in his soul. That and therapy can get expensive, so just do it on the fly when the time feels right I guess.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Finally got my solo queue placement matches done. I honestly don't understand how it worked. I picked up at least 1 or 2 gold medals each round, but l went 2-8 and lost in horrible team stomps so I got rank 37. Is it based entirely on win/lose? Played a game past it and won, gained nearly two ranks.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

pointlessone posted:

Finally got my solo queue placement matches done. I honestly don't understand how it worked. I picked up at least 1 or 2 gold medals each round, but l went 2-8 and lost in horrible team stomps so I got rank 37. Is it based entirely on win/lose? Played a game past it and won, gained nearly two ranks.

You can only gain on wins, fall on losses. How much you go up or down is determined by a secret formula of your stats mixed with factors like if it thinks your team is an underdog or not

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i lost 6/10 placement matches, and of those 4/6 had a team member who left mid game

top kek calibration system blizz, ty

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ImPureAwesome posted:

You can only gain on wins, fall on losses. How much you go up or down is determined by a secret formula of your stats mixed with factors like if it thinks your team is an underdog or not

I went 6-4 in placements and got placed into 57. I was pretty surprised, but I hear that placements are based on medals/individual performance more than wins/losses.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

BurritoJustice posted:

I went 6-4 in placements and got placed into 57. I was pretty surprised, but I hear that placements are based on medals/individual performance more than wins/losses.

I had someone on my friend's list who went 2/8 and they placed at 55. They did really well in all the games despite losing almost all of them.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

I think placements are mostly a ceremony and your initial placement is mostly based on your quick play MMR.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am almost positive this is how placement works.

They take your QP mmr and toss you into matches. Then your comp rank moves exactly the same way it does normally, it's just invisible for 10 games.

It's the simplest way to do it, and it explains why you need to get to level 25 in QP first. So they know where to start your rank for placement. It also explains how two people going 5-5 can end up in the 30s or the 60s. They already know how good you are, and your placements only had the chance to move you 10 games worth from that point.

Ddraig posted:

If this doesn't work, you're too far away.

Thanks for this. I was whiffing a bunch last night even though I knew I had folks in the triangle. I just assumed I was extra terrible, which I may be, but I couldn't figure out how I did so well on Gibraltar and so bad on 66.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

NoDamage posted:

her competition for support ultimates are literally bringing your teammates back from death and a few seconds of near invulnerability, so no it's not OP to boost one teammate

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Haha holy poo poo Dva is broken.

She can stand behind you and block all shots shooting AWAY from you. That is ridiculous.

It should go down in duration in proportion to the amount of damage its absorbed instead of just shutting down ALL enemy projectiles for 10 seconds like it does.

Yeah, I'm salty, I ulted as 76, she flew behind me and just sucked up all of it. :mad:

Also McCree is king. A decent McCree can 3 shot most heroes from safe distances now, wowee.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What do you guys think about Blizzard giving some customization options for heroes to provide more gameplay variety? Like maybe giving alternate ults, or differently spec'd guns or something like that?

I realize that would be difficult to balance, but so is adding totally new characters. I'm just trying to think of different ways to keep the game fresh that do not involve new characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Ehud posted:

What do you guys think about Blizzard giving some customization options for heroes to provide more gameplay variety? Like maybe giving alternate ults, or differently spec'd guns or something like that?

I realize that would be difficult to balance, but so is adding totally new characters. I'm just trying to think of different ways to keep the game fresh that do not involve new characters.

This is a terrible idea and if you want to know why check out this case study:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/440/