Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Yeahhh, it is slightly more zoomed in compared to 4U. It's a pain, I keep getting lost under monsters and getting stomped on.

Yes and every map that has weeds is torture. I hate the new zoom in. I'm tempted to learn the game with the hidden HUD feature at this rate. Hardly a solution though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Wow, Petrified Bow is not up to snuff now that I'm at 5* Village quests. Astalos took 23 minutes and Lagiacrus took 25. Can't upgrade it til high-rank. Can other bow users recommend good bows for around this level? I'm trying to stick with just Rapid fire bows with Power coating lvl 1. Maybe I should try some elemental ones with spread or something? I dunno. Adept Bow is really fun, but since the Teostra bow is so far off I need a few stopgaps!

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I have a question about the "Bubbly Dance" skill. Does it affect Adept dodging? It seems like a different effect, but I'm not sure.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that not all weapons are good matches against all monsters? Adept Hammer was pretty balls against Gendrome, and I completely failed to beat Cephadrome with Aerial GS. Is picking the right weapon for the right monster part of the game, or can any monster be taken on with any weapon?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Certain weapons are gonna do better on certain monsters yeah, but it's still totally possible to beat every monster with any weapon. You're just gonna have a bad time on a few of them.

It's usually why you want to a secondary weapon you use if you're having trouble with a your primary on a particular monster.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm having a good fun time doing stuff solo. I've used the bujabujabu armor up to 4* town quests but it seems like I might be better with higher defense. I'm tryinta make the Tetsucabra set but the Dignified Skull is eluding me. How do you get it?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm having a good fun time doing stuff solo. I've used the bujabujabu armor up to 4* town quests but it seems like I might be better with higher defense. I'm tryinta make the Tetsucabra set but the Dignified Skull is eluding me. How do you get it?

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/item/dignified-skull

Break his tusks and carve his body.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
welp that was certainly an ending

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
does evasion skill help, worsen, or not do anything to Adept styles?

Also, is there a list of what each style gives up somewhere?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

So I got MH4U on release and got about halfway through it before getting distracted and forgetting about it. I've got the itch to slaughter monsters for their sweet body parts again, should I just restart MH4U or pick up Generations? I.e., is Generations significantly improved or is it more or less the same?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

does evasion skill help, worsen, or not do anything to Adept styles?

Also, is there a list of what each style gives up somewhere?

The adept dodge is not affected by evasion skills at all.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's a best-of of the past four generations (hence the title), so it really depends. MH4U is probably the superior title in the sense of depth of content, but MHGen balances a lot (mostly IG and CB, the former via styles and the latter directly). It's also the game that everyone's playing online, so.

I would personally say switch to Generations, but if you only play single-player stick to MH4U.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Is it me or does Gen have better light, reflections, and shadows than 4U did? I am really appreciating it when I take the time to really look at what I'm doing.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is it me or does Gen have better light, reflections, and shadows than 4U did? I am really appreciating it when I take the time to really look at what I'm doing.

It definitely does. Actually I'm pretty sure 4U didn't even have reflections or some of the lighting effects.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
4U had better shadows and FOV, but Gen has graphical improvements in every other area.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

That's a cool site, thanks.

Is there a lowbie set of armor or something to help out carrying big eggs? I did one quest of it and it was bullshit. Aside from avoiding them altogether, what can be done about it? I want those food ingredients.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yes, Loc Lac armour has the skill Transporter, which helps you when you're carrying eggs. Or fossils. Or giant rocks so hot that they sap your health as you're carrying them.

loving powderstones.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Crimson Harvest posted:

That's a cool site, thanks.

Is there a lowbie set of armor or something to help out carrying big eggs? I did one quest of it and it was bullshit. Aside from avoiding them altogether, what can be done about it? I want those food ingredients.

In addition to making Loc Lac armor (iirc all you need is the chest, waist, and a Transporter gem) try to eat for Feline Lander, which allows you to jump off cliffs while carrying an egg without breaking it.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
My brother was farming bugs and showed me the new poison bomb animation. It looks so nice :allears:

Also, I love how in Village quests they introduce Gypceros in the old Swamp. I know the newer zones and monsters are better designed, but I still enjoy fighting the old guard of Khezu and Gypceros and even Cephadrome and Plesioth.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So is it only a few particular herb spots on each map that spawn the Kinsect stuff? Because it's rather annoying to run out of the base and note that it's the pink lilly looking plants that have the bug stuff but then run to a different area that has the same plants and suddenly it's dropping herbs and other useless stuff i don't want.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, this. It feels really awkward at first and you might have to charge in blind (aka. running towards the camera) but eventually you'll get better at it. I've basically been playing nothing but Adept everything and I can consistently dodge through an attack, angle the camera towards the mob and charge right back at them now. It just takes a particular set of inputs in the right order but it's very much doable. :3:

My only fear is that my immense love for Adept will make it hard for me to go back to the previous games..

e: it's just so great to be able to face enemies head on instead of running away. Enemy charges you? Charge right back at them and use their enormous hitbox against them :black101: maybe it's my Dark Souls instincts, but dodging into attacks and countering feels so natural to me.

What's been working for me re: adept dodging, is realizing your dude is going to charge no matter what (by default, in the direction of travel.) Once you're in the dodge animation, you have until just after you touch down to choose the direction of the charge with just one input on the circle pad. From there, you're free to snap the camera and know which direction you'll be going.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I've never played LS before this game, but I picked it up early (aerial LS is so much fun) and just got to HR. What's some armor I should be going for? Anything early in HR that can carry me far?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I have a question about weapon arts with the greatsword. Is the unsheathe bonus relevant when performing weapons arts. For example, is ground slash stronger if the greatsword was sheathed prior to pressing it, or does it not matter on weapon arts?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm puzzled with dual blades atm. Crit seems so easy to get between expert, tenderizer, and chain attack so some of the raw dual blades feel amazing as a result. But I know I want to go elemental but with no elemental +3 in the game and the elemental is just harder to find in general leaves me confused.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So is it only a few particular herb spots on each map that spawn the Kinsect stuff? Because it's rather annoying to run out of the base and note that it's the pink lilly looking plants that have the bug stuff but then run to a different area that has the same plants and suddenly it's dropping herbs and other useless stuff i don't want.

Yeah. Also some maps only seem to have certain juices (like speed jelly and thunder ambrosia from the Verdant Hills, I believe), which can be nice if you're after something in particular. Even with that, though, farming bug juice sucks and my advice is to unlock trading for it from Neko, either by doing his V3 Prowler mission (you may have to do other Prowler missions first) or by advancing the Hub until all the trader stuff unlocks. It's much nicer, and generates a decent amount of Larval Extract as well.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Ugh that's annoying, I"m assuming V3 Prowler meaning that it's in 3 Star Village somewhere?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, sorry, three star Village stuff. But I think you'll need to do at least one or two two star Prowler missions as well. I mean, just farming the stuff normally works, but having the trader deal with it for you is so much easier and can build you a great supply of what you need (i.e. speed jelly) without any effort on your part.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Rascyc posted:

Yes and every map that has weeds is torture. I hate the new zoom in. I'm tempted to learn the game with the hidden HUD feature at this rate. Hardly a solution though.

Put your HUD on the bottom screen.

It really is a shame how terrible hte new intro animations are.... I miss the old videos showing the monster in their natural habitat, hunting or grazing, or whatever. Why'd they cut them out? Laziness or was it actually space limitations on the cart?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

It really is a shame how terrible hte new intro animations are.... I miss the old videos showing the monster in their natural habitat, hunting or grazing, or whatever. Why'd they cut them out? Laziness or was it actually space limitations on the cart?

Doesn't MHGen take up a lot less space than MH4U? I'm guessing time constraints, or maybe they just figured people wouldn't care much about it.

I absolutely loved the intro animations in MH4U :(

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Anyone got any tips for breaking the Shogun Cenataur's back, I need to do 2x break for some keenbones. It dosen't need impact damage or anything?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Stormgale posted:

Anyone got any tips for breaking the Shogun Cenataur's back, I need to do 2x break for some keenbones. It dosen't need impact damage or anything?

aerial hammer my man

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fuzz posted:

Prolly just time.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Fuzz posted:

It's because they'd have to do two separate versions for hunter and prowler.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu posted:

aerial hammer my man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfAF_FLEVfA

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

aerial hammer my man

What's a good hammer about Village rank 6?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Stormgale posted:

What's a good hammer about Village rank 6?

Regios Hammer, natural blue sharpness at lvl 1, auto sharpens every three rolls.

But really any hammer could work because Aerial Hammer (and I assume most other good Aerials) absolutely clowns on Ceanataurs because they have almost no vertical attacks at all.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

Regios Hammer, natural blue sharpness at lvl 1, auto sharpens every three rolls.

But really any hammer could work because Aerial Hammer (and I assume most other good Aerials) absolutely clowns on Ceanataurs because they have almost no vertical attacks at all.

Might use My Para SnS then

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Aw dangit I've been calculating affinity raw wrong all this time oops. I thought my hidden DBs was like 180 raw but it's more like 120 until crit up.

Whew that clears up a lot. Back to elemental DBs.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I had a lot of fun running with the Bow in a group of friends tonight, but I'm worried it might be a little dull in singleplayer compared to stuff like the Horn and the SnS. How do the Gunner sets stack up in SP in terms of engaging play in your opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Rascyc posted:

I'm puzzled with dual blades atm. Crit seems so easy to get between expert, tenderizer, and chain attack so some of the raw dual blades feel amazing as a result. But I know I want to go elemental but with no elemental +3 in the game and the elemental is just harder to find in general leaves me confused.

just make the hellblade glavenus ones and kill everything!

• Locked thread