Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm watching The Last Kingdom, which takes place in Wessex in the 860's during the invasion of the great heathen armies. It's based off a book series I hear is good, but I can't confirm as I haven't read them. The series is good at least.

The books are pretty good, though imo the show does a much better job of showing you how much of a complete rear end the main character is than the books mainly because you lack his internal thoughts self justifying everything. They definitely did the TV thing of consolidating and cutting a few plots and characters but it was mainly to the show's benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxAbWogPENU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That's a lame name and I almost wrote it as Raper's Due on Google.

Looking forward to it as always!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So when's the Reaper's Due due? Aside from what's already been said in dev diaries, is there's anything else in the Reaper's Due to do? If this DLC becomes the most successful content expansion, will they make a Reaper's Due: Deux?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Now we know why all those Reap mods were pulled by Paradox.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Dareon posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble finding good historical fiction set in this time period. I have a good series from Arthurian times (Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles) and I just finished a great novel set at the very beginning of the Reformation (The Relic Master by Christopher Buckley), but I haven't found a decently engaging novel about the time periods this game covers. You'd think there'd be some about vikings, at least.

The Accursed Kings books are pretty good.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Seconding the Accursed Kings, though it's really the tail end of the CK2 period (leading into the Hundred Years War, etc.)

I'd consider Kay far more than "passable" but his books are a bit more historical fantasy (or to use his phrase, "a quarter turn to the fantastic") than historical fiction so YMMV.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 21, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Ofaloaf posted:

So when's the Reaper's Due due?

i'm not sure if you were actually asking or if your whole post was just an excuse to make lame puns, but they mentioned late August.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It certainly is late :skeltal:

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Skellybones posted:

It certainly is late :skeltal:

:perfect:

Check out Marco Polo on Netflix. Has court intrigue, horse lords obviously, Hashashins, syncretic religions, Prester John, the intricacies of ultimogeniture succession and child murder. Its honestly CK2 China: the show. Plus the writing is sometimes really goofy and vulgar for no reason.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Games > Crusader Kings II: #BlackDeathMatters

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
That is a hella weak trailer. No plague jokes, not event text and some awful coughing.

not even a "I'M NOT DEAD" for some ancient referential humour

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That is a hella weak trailer. No plague jokes, not event text and some awful coughing.

The coughing was the joke?

I'm not really sure what you expected, Pdox games don't lend themselves to video very well (at least the map games). The best marketing they do is the dev diaries: you can explore gameplay possibilities with that a lot better than sweeping pans over technicolourterrain maps with sprites thrown on top.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Frogfingers posted:

The coughing was the joke?

I'm not really sure what you expected, Pdox games don't lend themselves to video very well (at least the map games). The best marketing they do is the dev diaries: you can explore gameplay possibilities with that a lot better than sweeping pans over technicolourterrain maps with sprites thrown on top.
Except their seven sins videos were some of the best trailers made and barely even featured the games themselves?

And conclave was actually a really good one. And this one was legendary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y53_GV2aAg8

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Except their seven sins videos were some of the best trailers made and barely even featured the games themselves?

And conclave was actually a really good one. And this one was legendary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y53_GV2aAg8

Oh wow I had never seen those actual acted trailers before. This one and the beard one are about the same, maybe not in energy, but in context at least.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Haha amazing, best map game trailer ever. Really got me in the mood for some ck2, but I guess I should wait until the DLC drops.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought I'd play some CK2 for the first time in a while and none of my DLC is available. Steam shows all the DLC that I have purchased and says that it's installed but when I launch the game it's only the base game with no DLC. There's a content button that I've never seen before (it's been a while since I played, like I said) and that's grayed out. I tried completely deleting and reinstalling and that didn't help at all and Googling for help with this issue isn't turning up anything. Anyone know what could cause this?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Zombiepop posted:

Haha amazing, best map game trailer ever. Really got me in the mood for some ck2, but I guess I should wait until the DLC drops.
I still think this is probs one of the best, if only because while it doesn't show the map, it is the most CKII: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_n_qy53Isk

So yeah, basically, you coulda done better guys. Tsk tsk.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

I thought I'd play some CK2 for the first time in a while and none of my DLC is available. Steam shows all the DLC that I have purchased and says that it's installed but when I launch the game it's only the base game with no DLC. There's a content button that I've never seen before (it's been a while since I played, like I said) and that's grayed out. I tried completely deleting and reinstalling and that didn't help at all and Googling for help with this issue isn't turning up anything. Anyone know what could cause this?

Did you enable the dlc in the launcher?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I actually bought the game based on that trailer alone iirc.

negationix
May 1, 2007
What happens when I retract vassalage? I'm king of Finland and have a weak claim on high chiefdom of Bjarmia. The high chief of Bjarmia recently revolted and after stopping the revolt, I imprisoned him. If I retract vassalage, would that effectively make the high chiefdom part of my demesne? Or would his heir put in charge instead? The king is past 64 years, has high prestige and is generally loved all around, so I wouldn't mind negative effects on vassal opinions that much at this point.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

negationix posted:

What happens when I retract vassalage? I'm king of Finland and have a weak claim on high chiefdom of Bjarmia. The high chief of Bjarmia recently revolted and after stopping the revolt, I imprisoned him. If I retract vassalage, would that effectively make the high chiefdom part of my demesne? Or would his heir put in charge instead? The king is past 64 years, has high prestige and is generally loved all around, so I wouldn't mind negative effects on vassal opinions that much at this point.

Retract vassalage means making one of his vassals your direct vassal. It won't give you his high chiefdom.

negationix
May 1, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Retract vassalage means making one of his vassals your direct vassal. It won't give you his high chiefdom.

Right, thanks. That's just one of those many options I have never tried or really read about. It's fun to be a king when you don't know how things work.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

No one except the trailer guy liked that trailer :(

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Darkrenown posted:

I'm pretty such that is still the case.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

Did you enable the dlc in the launcher?

There wasn't an option for it there, but it turned out to be Steam itself making GBS threads the bed. Once I fixed Steam then everything turned out okay.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Darkrenown posted:

It was trying too hard for the horror jump scares.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I just started playing again after a long break. Haven't played Conclave until now. Overall I think I like how unstable it makes realms, but I'm kind of getting frustrated fighting an elective-succession revolt every 15 years, even when I have an objectively "good" leader.

It also seems like nearly every European feudal realm has fallen to elective revolts in my game so far. That can't be intended, right?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I dunno some times it seems appropriate and other times its just constant nonsense. I think it depends a certain amount on whether you get stuck with some dipshit vassal who bribes everyone to join his faction with oodles of money he gets from somewhere while continuing to build up his holdings somehow. Its manageable with a high intrigue spymaster moving around a lot but it can be absurd when people who really like you are in factions against you

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
In my recent conclave game, the frequent elective revolts were very helpful when I was a vassal: The Kingdom of England went elective leaving Ireland a separate realm after succession. Later Ireland and Aquitaine broke apart similarly. Once the realm was fully splintered it was finally an option for me to revolt against my liege and win the throne.

After I became a ruler factions were mostly a non-issue since I chose to put my most powerful dukes on my council.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I've executed 4 successive heirs of the duchy of lower lorraine for starting elective monarchy revolts. Maybe one day they'll learn. My heir is a lunatic, so maybe he'll be the one to exterminate them for good.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Also I just granted a title to a dude against the will of the council and got a -50 tyranny modifier? What the heck.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

It happens. I'm guessing he didn't feel like putting in so much effort over the holidays

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DrPop posted:

Also I just granted a title to a dude against the will of the council and got a -50 tyranny modifier? What the heck.

Did you fire someone

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

DrPop posted:

For some decisions, you'll see a red x or green check next to the confirmation that tells you how the council voted. Any time you go against a council vote, you're going to incur tyranny. That's why you need favors to call in.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Has anyone noticed getting tyranny in Conclave for executing prisoners despite not needing council approval for it?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Well there was always tyranny for loving with people too much like if you have a dude in prison and you revoke his county because traitor its fine but if you then execute him afterwards its tyranny.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Goofballs posted:

Well there was always tyranny for loving with people too much like if you have a dude in prison and you revoke his county because traitor its fine but if you then execute him afterwards its tyranny.

You're allowed one freebie on traitors. You can revoke one of their titles - usually the highest - or you can execute them and have everything go to his heir, but not take all their titles or strip and execute. Rulers did do this in history, but attainting people was not popular.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

For some decisions, you'll see a red x or green check next to the confirmation that tells you how the council voted. Any time you go against a council vote, you're going to incur tyranny. That's why you need favors to call in.

Word. I realize this now. Guess I should've been more mindful of changes coming back after so long.

I think it would be nice to have an additional prompt come up if you're about to go against the will of the council and you're going to get, say, more than 20 tyranny from it. Getting -50 for life because I awarded some backwater principality won in a holy war to a courtier is pretty rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jedit posted:

You're allowed one freebie on traitors. You can revoke one of their titles - usually the highest - or you can execute them and have everything go to his heir, but not take all their titles or strip and execute. Rulers did do this in history, but attainting people was not popular.

I wish there was a better way to deal with leaders of revolts. Right now if you execute them their heir ends up hating you and will probably rebel in a year or two just like dear old dad did. If you take their highest title, you usually can't hand it out to someone else because you don't have any counties in the duchy and the rest of your dukes get pissed for having too many ducal titles.

I usually just let them sit in jail until they die, but it seems really game-y and a-historical. You should at least be able to take a single county if you also take a duchy. Maybe make it so you can take only one title at each level (baron/count/duke/king)? I'd also stipulate that this should probably only be the punishment for a leader of a revolt. Just joining should have lesser punishment than leading it.

• Locked thread