Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Mind offering more thoughts on this game? Looks interesting and I'd like to hear more about it from a fan of Etrian Odyssey.

It's not exactly Etrian Odyssey, but it is a dungeon crawler with a skill system where you upgrade your skills, pick a party that synergizes, and go to town. The plot's a direct continuation of the PSP games but you don't need to know a whole lot about it beyond 'in 2020, dragons came and killed the gently caress out of the entire world, and then did it again in 2021, and some dudes called Unit 13 stopped them both times'. The plot isn't incredibly complex, but it is at least there, and some of the battles can be quite tough because, as I mention, damage is high on both sides. You also get to build a base which gets a bunch of reasonably likable guys and also a gay cowboy computer programmer in it.

You don't have to plan your skills because SP is gained from battles and so can be farmed, but the abilities are very distinct based on class and each has their own gimmicks - Monks build up a 'depth' status most times they hit something, enabling their more powerful moves, while one class is literally a yu-gi-oh battler who draws cards as a secondary mana mechanic and another stocks and burns through bombs. Most notably is the way every class gets a unique React skill - this is a long buff where, while it's up, fulfilling a specific goal will usually net you an extra turn between main turns.

The normal battles are incredibly easy but the main draw is that there's 256 dragons in the game and (if you are a completionist) you are out to slaughter them all for world peace / to build your base / for the sheer xp and sp they give. Along the way you get some cool abilities and big numbers. Not a deep game, but it was pretty fun once I got into the swing of mass slaughter while keeping my buffs intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel posted:

Shadow Hearts II: Director's Cut

This is a pro choice

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
7th Dragon 2020 for the PSP has a fan translation and emulates perfectly if you want more information on the story. I beat it and had more fun than I expected going into it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

There's also the GBA game, but honestly that one is kinda dirt-slow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The biggest problem with VFD is basically that there's no meaningful difference between the dragons in terms of how you fight. There are a lot of dragons but the vast vast majority of them are basically unmemorable and meaningless, while your cast of characters is so strong that you'll basically be repeating the same attack patterns through most of the game with only slight variations once you get to the endgame. Several classes basically can one-to-twoshot almost anything in the game.

It's a neat concept but I'd rather have had fewer dragons who require more thought to beat than just pounding through groups of basically-identical enemies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest problem with VFD is basically that there's no meaningful difference between the dragons in terms of how you fight. There are a lot of dragons but the vast vast majority of them are basically unmemorable and meaningless, while your cast of characters is so strong that you'll basically be repeating the same attack patterns through most of the game with only slight variations once you get to the endgame. Several classes basically can one-to-twoshot almost anything in the game.

It's a neat concept but I'd rather have had fewer dragons who require more thought to beat than just pounding through groups of basically-identical enemies.

I felt that 2020 was significantly better on this front, but maybe that's just because I was trying to use a monk specialized in different counter skills (Fang Breaker, Breath Breaker, Claw Breaker, etc) so I had to memorize their attack patterns. They felt relatively shallow in this game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Clarste posted:

I felt that 2020 was significantly better on this front, but maybe that's just because I was trying to use a monk specialized in different counter skills (Fang Breaker, Breath Breaker, Claw Breaker, etc) so I had to memorize their attack patterns. They felt relatively shallow in this game.

2020 wasn't that much better. I ran a Samurai, Psychic and Trickster and my boss fights were almost all identical. Lower their resistance to status ailments, spam status ailments on them, watch them die while keeping myself alive. Not to say it was a bad game, I enjoyed it aside from the ghost/zombie dungeon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
http://gematsu.com/2016/07/conception-ii-children-seven-stars-coming-pc-via-steam-summer

I'm sure..somebody's happy about this? :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I actually don't think so

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

More non-Neptunia JRPGs is always good, and I didn't -hate- the first Conception so there's that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conception 2 isn't really a step up from Neptunia unless "godawful boring" is your flavor.

Like it isn't even interesting-bad. It's just boooooring.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Conception 2 is...I can't say definitively that it's bad, but I didn't even get to the end of the demo before deciding I didn't want to play it anymore, so it's certainly not good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZVa9aEaX-c

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Conception 2 is a game that has literally nothing appealing about it, not characters, story, dialogue and definitely not the gameplay.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
neptunia is a loving masterpiece compared to conception 2

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
are there at least cute boys?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tired Moritz posted:

are there at least cute boys?

no

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Conception 2 is a game that has literally nothing appealing about it, not characters, story, dialogue and definitely not the gameplay.

The half-black hair half-white hair girl has a cute design

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Conception 2 has that one song that is funny and that's it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
conception ii had the most annoying trailer music in akiba's trip: undead & undressed so i hate it

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Conception II is a game that left me bored and uninterested at the demo level, and keep in mind I bought and am still slogging through Sakura Dungeon.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

END ME SCOOB posted:

Conception II is a game that left me bored and uninterested at the demo level, and keep in mind I bought and am still slogging through Sakura Dungeon.

why

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I don't like Wizardry clones but do like dungeon crawlers, hoped I'd get something decent.

I did not get something decent. It's actually some 80s-rear end era gameplay that gets repetitive real fast. I basically just play a floor here and there and leave for town, then shut it off. I'm slowly making progress.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boobs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Verranicus posted:

More non-Neptunia JRPGs is always good, and I didn't -hate- the first Conception so there's that.

Your taste is impeccably shite as ever.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Verranicus posted:

You are the most doth-protest-too-much ever in this thread I think

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm unreasonably excited for the new SAO. I want a version of Hollow Fragment that's actually up-to-date and lets me make my own character to dick around for fifty hours.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Also I was gonna play Witcher 3 now that I'm done with Ys Origin but I figure I may as well let a little sunlight into my soul instead. Popcorn JRPGs.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

For the record this post is 100% true, but I think it's enjoyable enough as a popcorn jrpg.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Stelas posted:

I'm having another try at XCX and good loving god I wish it was a little kinder in its autoattack ranges so that I don't get dumpstered immediately whenever I want to try to poke around some of the weirder places, as a level 60 legend thing decides to kick my rear end after dropping from the ceiling or whatever

I haven't gotten to this game yet (I only recently beat the first, and I've no interest to immediately jump into another 150+ hour game), but does the game not have you determine to start attacking by pressing the B Button like the first? I liked it in the first game since it just lets you determine when you wanted to fight.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't help feeling like "popcorn JRPG" is a redundant phrase

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ventana posted:

I haven't gotten to this game yet (I only recently beat the first, and I've no interest to immediately jump into another 150+ hour game), but does the game not have you determine to start attacking by pressing the B Button like the first? I liked it in the first game since it just lets you determine when you wanted to fight.

I don't know - I mean, you can immediately sprint off in a lot of cases and you'll successfully evade the battle, but some areas are just lousy with surprise enemies out the blue.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Suggest me some import RPGs and SRPGs for PS1, PS2, PSP, DS or 3DS that aren't already on this list. No nepnep.

http://www.backloggery.com/verranicus

My personal backlog

Ningyo no Rakuin
The Granstream Saga
Manic Game Girl
Front Mission 5 (full English I believe)
The Hanjuku Hero games (PS2 ones good to start)
Dragon Shadow Spell
Seven Molmorth no Kiheitai
Knights in the Nightmare
ZHP Unlosing Ranger (I don't know if this is "nepnep" but it's a cool roguelike)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Genocyber posted:

Mind offering more thoughts on this game? Looks interesting and I'd like to hear more about it from a fan of Etrian Odyssey.

As someone who really likes Etrian Odyssey, I found VFD to be a decent game, but dragged down by a bunch of issues. The random encounters were so mindlessly easy that they just end up wasting your time while you go through dungeons. They do get more threatening at the end of the game, but by then your party is so powerful that aspect doesn't even matter. The dragon fights (they're kinda like FOEs, but unlike in EO, you're expected to take them on immediately) are interesting at first, but they get a lot less tough as the game goes on. Also the level design in the game is really bland.

Your characters have in battle animations, which are kinda cute at first, but there is absolutely no way to skip them or speed them up. And some classes, like the Duelist, have excessively long animations for all of their skills.

On the plus side, it's easier (and encouraged) to make backup parties in the game.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 22, 2016

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Guys I'm like 3 minutes into this game and my habit of mashing the jump button has REWARDED ME WITH PERKS. This game is made for me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lotish posted:

There was an LP of Shadow Tower Abyss going in the subforum that I lost track of. It did finished or dropped?

Game is cool but hella slow--when watching it, it was much more interesting to set the video speed to 1.5 or higher.

It died when Dark Souls 3 came out, sadly. Shame too, I think the LP was about halfway to two thirds of the way through the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Verranicus posted:

Suggest me some import RPGs and SRPGs for PS1, PS2, PSP, DS or 3DS that aren't already on this list. No nepnep.

I was thinking I wouldn't have any import RPGs to offer, but Valkyria Chronicles 3 would probably count I think? I played it with a terrible English patch but that obviously wouldn't be a problem if you are importing it. Of the two PSP VC games that exist it is by far the superior one, in terms of both plot and gameplay.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

END ME SCOOB posted:

Guys I'm like 3 minutes into this game and my habit of mashing the jump button has REWARDED ME WITH PERKS. This game is made for me.

Boing!

Boing!

Like a kangaroo!

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Verranicus posted:

If you can stand 2hus get Genius of Sappheiros. The Vita version (GoS V) is the most up-to-date one, but the PC version (GoS Weekend) has an english translation patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

END ME SCOOB posted:

Don't you loving show me that poo poo you might get me to buy it.