Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I guess the question is why they would need to do that in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

thatguy posted:

You can't break someone who puts no effort into their trolls.

:justpost:

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

Tippis posted:

Why is it you can't talk about the game?

this is what i don't understand. what is it you're asking about?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That comment was wrong in more ways than one man. Read on in the RSI thread to understand..XD

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtONwI7AlbY

@ 1:24

I had never seen this interview before, check out this part:

CrashAcademy: We're actually from Berlin, by the way.

Sandi: Oh! I love Berlin, that's an awesome city.

CA: Yeah it is.

Sandi: I really would like to get CitzenCon there one year, but, um, very difficult to get bandwidth.

CA: Uh-huh

Sandi: You know? We need so much IT stuff and power in the computers, so... maybe CitizenCon Frankfurt? Next year?

CA: Yeah, maybe...

:-/

This is an obsessed Doom gamer? Sounds more like my grandma when she asks me to fix her 386 to send emails again.

Bonus: Claims she is fluent in German (as a child) but forgot it all and then struggles thru basic German phrases at the end and looks embarrassed a lot.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

AP posted:

Can too.
Space Court.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lazrin posted:

How is it any kind of trouble that people are making fun of a company that is consistently behaving in the most clown-like fashion the world has ever seen? Why does it bother you so much that we laugh at a game you know nothing about? Why is it you can't talk about the game? Why is it that for all your uninformed, straw-man, and projecting JAQ:ing, you are incapable of answering even the simplest question yourself?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

radd posted:

I wonder if Chris Roberts will look at No Man's Sky, CoD:IW, Mass Effect:Andromeda, and say "Mission Accomplished, we set out to revive space games on the PC, now look at all these space games available on the PC. We have succeeded in our primary goal, stop all further development."

Perhaps demonstrating the existence of a lucrative market, combined with a public challenge to publishers, was his plan all along to get space gaming back in vogue.

And perhaps Derek is just presenting a similar challenge to CIG to motivate them to prove that he is wrong.

Nah.

Lets take this down the conspiracy road

Publishers paid Crobberts to start this whole mess

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah, you're right. Because Infinity Ward (or whoever is doing this one) probably realizes how loving boring that actually is. Which is why you'll probably only get out of your ship to HAVE A RUNNING GUNFIGHT ACROSS THE HULL OF AN ENEMY SHIP.

Still though, gently caress them, right?

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Lazrin posted:

Guys, we figured it out! Shithouse doesn't know this thread is about a game. He thinks Derek Smart is the Star Citizen.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lazrin posted:

Hey Lazrin!

Remember that time you said it was funny that the Escapist didn't report on Streetroller's refund, trying to imply they were somehow afraid of upsetting CIG? Then after someone linked you their article, you said that user blogs don't count?

Remember the time you said that you wanted to have a civil conversation after calling everyone else cunts?

Because I sure do!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Don't forget that Chris Roberts himself said they don't even have people to work on the network code because hiring network engineers is hard. Cultists kinda gloss over that one just like "We are releasing a minimum viable product without most of the features you are expecting" because the dream has outgrown the great man himself.

Hiring network engineers will be hard for Cris Roberts because anyone the experience is going to stay away from this headache.
Instead they are going to have to rely on getting fresh out of school bushy tailed people who want a "challenge".
Except the challenge is too hard. The only only only thing that can be done is start over.

I've seen people struggle with a corrupt file for days, when they were told point blank that typing it out again would be faster. And the end result is that they type it out again. But now it's days late, instead of minutes.

Extrapolate to this mess and it's years and months instead of days and minutes. :(

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, you're right. Because Infinity Ward (or whoever is doing this one) probably realizes how loving boring that actually is. Which is why you'll probably only get out of your ship to HAVE A RUNNING GUNFIGHT ACROSS THE HULL OF AN ENEMY SHIP.

Still though, gently caress them, right?

Star citizen ejects you out of your ship all the time for no reason, while CoD will only let you exit the ship when it makes sense.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So you can get out of you ship and float in space and try to forget about your real life.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

SirPhoebos posted:

Hey Lazrin!

Remember that time you said it was funny that the Escapist didn't report on Streetroller's refund, trying to imply they were somehow afraid of upsetting CIG? Then after someone linked you their article, you said that user blogs don't count?

Remember the time you said that you wanted to have a civil conversation after calling everyone else cunts?

Because I sure do!

let's start new

you call this a comedy forum but it's clear that many of the posts are much deeper-seeded than that. there are efforts and cares all over the place here.

why is your leader on a crusade for something that doesn't effect him? why do you join him?

i'm guessing we all love the promise of what star citizen could be... if it fails and crashes or comes out and takes over the world, who cares what others are doing with their money and time online?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

go back to reddit fuckface

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Lazrin posted:

Hi Goons!

Hi Derek!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The COD guys are flat out using CIG's playbook too. Listen to their talking points and the emphasis on never before seen gameplay, innovation, and a compelling narrative. Backers may bitch that SQ42 did it first, but to the millions who buy COD won't know and definitely won't care. Roberts snubbed the big publishers, told them exactly how he would beat them, and then sat around playing director while they beat him at his own game.

More people will buy COD on opening day than have backed CIG in four years. Activision will at least double CIG's total revenue in a weekend. By the end of November SQ42 will have nothing setting it apart. Every nuance of gameplay will be compared to and likely found wanting given how amateurish CIG's game design has been. Meanwhile Star Citizen, the game backers actually care about, is nowhere to be seen and won't be out for years. Assuming it is ever released, the minimum viable product will be up against an Elite game which has innovated for years and numerous other competitors.

It does almost make me wonder if someone over at IW has been eyeing SC and poking jabs at them along all of the reveals, but I know that's too paranoid.

What CoD: IW is doing is working, though, and I think CIG is going to be in for one hell of a surprise when the game is not the best drat space simulator ever since it was a little girl and potential new SC players write of the game as "been there, done that, but way better."

PSA: please stop quoting Lazrin, it's messing up my ignore setting

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Lazrin posted:

this thread's existence says it does.

This thread's existence is because CIG's development is funny and highly entertaining.

orcinus posted:

Not sure what's so laughable about the 2 GB limit.
It's there because, as the docs say, old version of ZIP uses a 32-bit integer for addressing offsets within a file. It is what it is.
It applies to old zips only, though.

32 bits = 2,147,483,647.

So, jus as the docs say, it gives you a range of +- 2GB. You can go 2 gigabytes in one direction and 2 gigabytes in another.
I fail to see what's wrong with that ”+-”. The only odd thing is that they use an unsigned int, but then give you offsetting in both directions, i.e. use it as a signed int.

Even though 32bit can directly access 4GB, limiting the files to 2GB with +- access makes sense from a programming standpoint. If you look at programming guidelines from major players, such as Google's own internal programming rule book, they state to not ever use unsigned numbers, due to potential issues with overflows and similar errors, and complications with checking for those errors because of being unsigned. This is evident with when Gangnam Style broke 2 billion hits, Google changed over to a 64 bit record of views, rather than going to unsigned.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
quote is not edit

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lazrin posted:

let's start new

Ok, let it parp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7H62vosrck

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Reading the comments on that made me realize that the gun the guy is working on isn't actually a gun but a cockpit of a ship?
It such a blob of bloop I cannot tell what it is.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lazrin posted:

let's start new

Ok. Tell us what you think about Star Citizen?

quote:

you call this a comedy forum but it's clear that many of the posts are much deeper-seeded than that.

Well, there are your posts, which tell us of some deep-seated obsession over Derek smart, for no apparent reason, and then there's…?

quote:

why is your leader on a crusade for something that doesn't effect him? why do you join him?
Who are you talking about? It can't be Derek, because no-one joined him, and he doesn't lead anything — quite the opposite. It can't be Lowtax, because he doesn't seem to be on a crusade against anyone. So who?

quote:

i'm guessing we all love the promise of what star citizen could be.

Lolno. At this point, most seem to love the full-range, genre-busting comedy that Star Citizen is. There is no “could be” about it.

quote:

if it fails and crashes or comes out and takes over the world, who cares what others are doing with their money and time online?

Good question. Why do you care so much? Because let's face it, you're really the only one expressing anything remotely like this.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thirty year old hands my rear end.

Also this clip is hilarious. They keep switching her from orange to black outfits.
Which begs to differ why the hell was this stupid scene have to be re-shot for her on two different days.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Everybody thinks this is a thread for jokes about Star Citizen, but that's only because we're hiding the real truth.

Really this is a place for :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

That's why calling us Salty Asshats hurts us so bad - it hits too close to home.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

Lazrin posted:

this thread's existence says it does.

But it bothers you and that's good enough for me

:smugdog:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Space Court.

We could have a long conversation about trolling but it would likely be pretty boring.

Basically it all depends on his motivations, if he's just trolling and doesn't care about Star Citizen then he's chosen an obscure sub forum and chosen a primary focus, Derek, that annoys the hell out of shitizens. It's possible he's just trolling and that's what I first thought, if so he'll get bored when people stop replying to him, which will never happen given his chosen gimmick.

If he is a Citizen as I suspect, then he'll break at the latest when CIG goes bust, or more unpredictably on some random day when they do something even he thinks is really dumb, so that could be any day now.

Fortunately I find him more funny than annoying so I don't mind.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lime Tonics posted:

https://twitter.com/TheWeaponer/status/756296578428706816

Only 3? You aint nothing unless you have a dozen.

Doesn't MOMA have three of those?...

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I for one cry myself to sleep every night knowing that star citizen will be the BDSSE and I and supreme warlord Derek Smart have no chance of destroying Roberts' dreams of star citizen a hundred million dollar fmv game.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Why do you care so much?

I don't think I speak for other goons. But I don't really care. I mean, I do care, obviously, it's work to keep up with the thread, but it's not a life or death situation. I care about SC and its hilarious ongoing debacle the same way you might 'care' about a prime time television show, a soap opera, or a series of trashy novels. I read this thread the way most people read the morning paper. Sometimes I chortle, other times I marvel at the poo poo CIG does and sometimes I even shake my fist at other goons when people cross a line. I have zero skin in the game. None. I have spent zero dollars on SC. The same way most people have nothing directly in common with the stories they read on reddit or in their morning paper, aside from existing in the same world or country in which the story takes place.

Popping into the thread and asking, 'lol why do you care' is dumb because yeah, people 'care', but not in the way that you mean. I'd say a lot of people are just fascinated by how tall the trash fire can get.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

This thread's existence is because CIG's development is funny and highly entertaining.

Even though 32bit can directly access 4GB, limiting the files to 2GB with +- access makes sense from a programming standpoint. If you look at programming guidelines from major players, such as Google's own internal programming rule book, they state to not ever use unsigned numbers, due to potential issues with overflows and similar errors, and complications with checking for those errors because of being unsigned. This is evident with when Gangnam Style broke 2 billion hits, Google changed over to a 64 bit record of views, rather than going to unsigned.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks.
In my defense, it's 7am, i'm in the wrong timezone, and haven't inhaled any coffee yet.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Lazrin posted:

let's start new

you call this a comedy forum but it's clear that many of the posts are much deeper-seeded than that. there are efforts and cares all over the place here.

i'm guessing we all love the promise of what star citizen could be... if it fails and crashes or comes out and takes over the world, who cares what others are doing with their money and time online?

All your material is old.
You're so boring, you're not worth engaging.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

AP posted:

We could have a long conversation about trolling but it would likely be pretty boring.

Basically it all depends on his motivations, if he's just trolling and doesn't care about Star Citizen then he's chosen an obscure sub forum and chosen a primary focus, Derek, that annoys the hell out of shitizens. It's possible he's just trolling and that's what I first thought, if so he'll get bored when people stop replying to him, which will never happen given his chosen gimmick.

If he is a Citizen as I suspect, then he'll break at the latest when CIG goes bust, or more unpredictably on some random day when they do something even he thinks is really dumb, so that could be any day now.

Fortunately I find him more funny than annoying so I don't mind.

oh, i'm a citizen alright. i want to play star citizen, but couldn't care less if it ever comes out or if it falls short. i'd give money again, too. not everyone works at mcdonald's you know.

at least someone is trying to push the genre forward. why do you think we have so many space games now?

Streetroller posted:

All your material is old.
You're so boring, you're not worth engaging.

hey guys look who it is. you're the goon 2nd-in-command, i understand... based on your victory and all?

Lazrin fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 22, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Charles Get-Out posted:

It does almost make me wonder if someone over at IW has been eyeing SC and poking jabs at them along all of the reveals, but I know that's too paranoid.

What CoD: IW is doing is working, though, and I think CIG is going to be in for one hell of a surprise when the game is not the best drat space simulator ever since it was a little girl and potential new SC players write of the game as "been there, done that, but way better."

PSA: please stop quoting Lazrin, it's messing up my ignore setting

I am sincerely hoping that there is at least jab at CIG somewhere in the game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lazrin hits the thread with "disposable income" for massive damage.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lazrin posted:

oh, i'm a citizen alright. i want to play star citizen, but couldn't care less if it ever comes out or if it falls short. i'd give money again, too. not everyone works at mcdonald's you know.

at least someone is trying to push the genre forward. why do you think we have so many space games now?

because competent developers released some

also lol wageslave

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

whoops I meant lols not damage

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ZenMaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtONwI7AlbY

@ 1:24

I had never seen this interview before, check out this part:

CrashAcademy: We're actually from Berlin, by the way.

Sandi: Oh! I love Berlin, that's an awesome city.

CA: Yeah it is.

Sandi: I really would like to get CitzenCon there one year, but, um, very difficult to get bandwidth.

CA: Uh-huh

Sandi: You know? We need so much IT stuff and power in the computers, so... maybe CitizenCon Frankfurt? Next year?

CA: Yeah, maybe...

:-/

This is an obsessed Doom gamer? Sounds more like my grandma when she asks me to fix her 386 to send emails again.

Bonus: Claims she is fluent in German (as a child) but forgot it all and then struggles thru basic German phrases at the end and looks embarrassed a lot.

Berlin is a hub to the internet backbone of Germany :psypop:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am sincerely hoping that there is at least jab at CIG somewhere in the game.

The entire game is a jab at CIG. Even the latest video is basically a better version of the Morrow Tour.

I still think after watching the CoD reveal CR pulled out what's left of his hair, and ordered the LA staff to stop what they are doing and make a sizzle reel to show up at citizencon, he received said reel, still looked bad compared to CoD:IW, and ordered them to re-do it. And around and around it goes until they run out of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lazrin posted:

So what you think about Star Citizen?

quote:

at least someone is trying to push the genre forward.
Lots of people are. FDev, Infinity Ward, Electronic Arts, Hello Games. Hell, even CCP games in their quaint and fumbling way. Really, the only one trying to cash in on the craze without going forwards is Chris Roberts, who's stuck in the outmoded design sensibilities of the 1990s; who thinks that progress is the same thing as cramming as much junk as possible into a single unit without any consideration to how it will all fit together.

quote:

why do you think we have so many space games now?
Because of Tim Schafer.

quote:

hey guys look who it is. you're the good 2nd-in-command, i understand... based on your victory and all?
It's the guy who was shunned by SA and Derek for making too much noise, and who did it all on his own and who's famous around the world for the way he demonstrated the incompetence of the CIG legal team.

• Locked thread