Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Snatching good from the jaws of bad, go comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Oh sure if she's a freshwater fish woman, then her capabilities for fighting aquatic crimes are limited. But there's plenty of work in the seas.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
this fish character is good. please dont ruin it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We have a two page streak for quality. Hoping for 3.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Panel 1 is so goddamn funny, please keep it up.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

I'm a bit concerned that Allison's offering Amanda a job based on:

Amanda shared her feelings, in Allison's presence, about having a grotesquely inhuman physical appearance
Allison's charitable organization needs someone to help with keeping track of money
Amanda's bored with being a game warden
Amanda's taking accountancy classes

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

I'm a bit concerned that Allison's offering Amanda a job based on:

Amanda shared her feelings, in Allison's presence, about having a grotesquely inhuman physical appearance
Allison's charitable organization needs someone to help with keeping track of money
Amanda's bored with being a game warden
Amanda's taking accountancy classes

"Let's talk about my project sometime, here's my contact info" is good networking, not a job offer.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Also, it is a great way to have more Amanda in the future. How could you not want more Amanda in this comic?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I really hope this comic stays with Allison talking with the ladies about their lives.

Her and Max are not an interesting couple.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Galvanik posted:

I really hope this comic stays with Allison talking with the ladies about their lives.

Yeah but whenever they're being a couple, the comments section is amazing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm glad this new character Amanda will be a recurring one :neckbeard:

Also she did this emote herself in the comic :neckbeard: which is great

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wait is Max super rich too?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Either that or very well connected. He also apparently has a pilots license

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Flesh Forge posted:

I think that was strongly implied in the riverside conversation, though I wasn't 100% since I wasn't familiar with any of the places mentioned.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

tbh I wasn't really paying attention because

Galvanik posted:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Today's last panel rings familiar. My parents live in a neighborhood where most of the people do a lot of gardening and keep livestock and such, but a few just like the aesthetic and they pay people to keep horses for them and such.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Some amazing comments section stuff regarding how evil/douchey this guy is and how Patrick was a cool dude who she totally should have stuck with.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
This guy is incredibly boring and Patrick was interesting, but he just comes across as a rich libertarian person not an evil person. (Though given the track record lately for subtlety he probably has a dungeon he kills homeless women in)

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Only an incredibly rich white man could possibly be privileged enough to come close to Alison's biodynamic privilege. :D

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Only an incredibly rich white man could possibly be privileged enough to come close to Alison's biodynamic privilege. :D

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oh Gee, what a shocking twist the rich kid is an rear end in a top hat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh comic. :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no illegal immigrants, a crime!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Just when I thought this comic was starting to show some nuance.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
You don't understand, man, those gardeners are totally free to quit and look for, uh, some rich person that won't exploit the fact that they're (probably) undocumented and have no legal standing. Or free to go back to wherever they're from!

I guess the author is trying to write a character that is even more out of touch with reality than Allison, so we got a rich white guy who talks about how important freedom is on their date and apparently he likes to be free to employ people under the table with no employee protections. Those sorts tend to forget that poor people spend so much time working to make ends meet, there's not much time left over for being free to improve themselves. Having money means you need to work less and have more time pursuing goals beyond 'don't starve'.

Couple pages back someone suspected this dude of being libertarian, but now that we know he's loaded, I'm not really sure that's likely. I tend to assume most libertarians are the types who didn't manage to get rich with the current version of society/capitalism, so they need to dream up a version in which they surely would succeed.

This guy's already a success. Seems normal for him to want freedoms like 'having my gardeners do unpaid overtime'. :shrug:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, his deal seems more like being aggressively privileged and can't see things from other people's point of view. Which rather ties in to the last couple of scenes and Allison not having the same perspective on life as those who don't look human.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Psykmoe posted:

I tend to assume most libertarians are the types who didn't manage to get rich with the current version of society/capitalism

May I take you gently by the hand and introduce you to a sizable portion of the tech sector

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Oh boy here we go :D

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He's there to contrast Patrick, who can't help but empathize with everyone around him, and to drive her back to him :allears:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Christ' sake, comic.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Psykmoe posted:

I tend to assume most libertarians are the types who didn't manage to get rich with the current version of society/capitalism, so they need to dream up a version in which they surely would succeed.

I am sure there is that variety as well, but you get plenty of wealthy libertarians because it appeals to the idea that you have achieved your status on the basis of your personal skills and hard work and merit, and not because you were born into a white upper-class family that paid for your private schooling and got you a heritage placement at your dad's alma mater. Lots of people who do well don't like the suggestion that they are only there because of benefits and supports they had no part in controlling, because it suggests that given a different starting point they would have failed.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I suppose my perceptions have been too colored by Bitcoin threads of years past, while I haven't been particularly exposed to the opinions of actually successful people. I stand corrected.

I've been really rather sheltered when it comes to weird fringe ideologies.

I think it was a goon who posted years ago (or it is some other quote I can't source):

quote:

Objectivism fosters a world-view with a Manichean split into Right and Wrong (you can always pick Right as long as you are smart enough) and a belief in meritocracy (virtue always gets rewarded). This is popular with teenagers and young adults because they dislike thinking about shades of gray and they expect to win the game of life.

Which might apply here, I could imagine the guy might have fooled himself into thinking his wealth is purely merit-based, and so is, obviously, the economic situation of his gardeners there. He and his family made the correct choices and are good people, ergo, they are well to do.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 29, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Way to break a streak comic. Can't even count past 3, they're worse than Valve.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

You know, I think we'd be complaining just as much if the boyfriend wasn't actually a hyper-privileged rich rear end in a top hat but instead just a rich dude with a more sympathetic rich dude perspective on the world to contrast Allison's worldview in a non-antagonistic manner. We'd be complaining about him being too perfect and an obvious mouthpiece for the author to set up reasonable arguments only to have Allison's superpowered social justice tear them to shreds, so that the author could dismantle those points to the audience. And then they'd kiss.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o46HH-TfNY "Born Rich: Children of the Insanely Wealthy"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

blastron posted:

You know, I think we'd be complaining just as much if the boyfriend wasn't actually a hyper-privileged rich rear end in a top hat but instead just a rich dude with a more sympathetic rich dude perspective on the world to contrast Allison's worldview in a non-antagonistic manner. We'd be complaining about him being too perfect and an obvious mouthpiece for the author to set up reasonable arguments only to have Allison's superpowered social justice tear them to shreds, so that the author could dismantle those points to the audience. And then they'd kiss.

If he actually had nuance to his character I would be complaining that it took the authors a trainwreck of an arc to get back to the standards they set.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alright. I'm out. It's been a good run hoping for the upswing. But after clearly illegal labor boyfriend, the messages couldn't get more ham handed if they were actually hams. :btroll:

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Lmao, drat, this guy is a real peach. You sure know how to pick them, Alison.

Honestly, I hate this page so much more because it actually vindicates the commentators that were screaming he was pure evil on the first pages he appeared. He went from guy she rescued from a burning building to slightly ignorant libertarian to massively privileged dickhead pretty quickly.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's weird to think that this guy is actually an improvement over Alison's previous crush though, in that while he is a rich prick he hasn't tried to take over the country or killed anyone with giant robots yet. Progress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think he actually is a big improvement over Patrick but I am pretty sure this guy is only here to contrast Patrick and make him look good by comparison - sure maybe he's a horrible mind raper but at least he doesn't exploit undocumented workers!

• Locked thread