Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

God drat I needed this today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think some people resent "having" to vote for Clinton. They feel like their votes have to be "earned".

Personally, I think it's bunk on the same scale as needing Clinton to vote-toxx for Perez or Warren or whoever: it's holding your vote hostage to allow yourself to internally rationalize not wanting to vote for someone for reasons you can't elucidate and can't admit are emotional in nature.

Wowza

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah, I think what people fail to realize about American politics is that the two major parties are really just two large coalitions of various groups (although recent polarization has changed things somewhat). There's no real difference between the Democratic Party and a coalition of various smaller left wing parties beyond more central organization.

The real difference between the Democrats and a coalition of left wing parties is the "left wing ideology" part.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think some people resent "having" to vote for Clinton. They feel like their votes have to be "earned".

Personally, I think it's bunk on the same scale as needing Clinton to vote-toxx for Perez or Warren or whoever: it's holding your vote hostage to allow yourself to internally rationalize not wanting to vote for someone for reasons you can't elucidate and can't admit are emotional in nature.

Lol, heaven forbid you want the person you're voting for to advocate for your policies.

No, in fact, our political betters deserve those votes and you are selfish for denying them their god given right.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Did Manafort take Trump off the Teleprompters? Because he's going on about Cruz's dad and JFK again

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah, I think what people fail to realize about American politics is that the two major parties are really just two large coalitions of various groups (although recent polarization has changed things somewhat). There's no real difference between the Democratic Party and a coalition of various smaller left wing parties beyond more central organization.

The point is that the big lump of Not Republicans all have varying opinions and values, but they're forced to band together to oppose the lockstep-voting idiots. This weakens the Democrats considerably since they can't do anything without an internal slapfight.

Of course, that kind of debate for every decision isn't actually a bad thing when applied to a whole government, but for one party it's crippling.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
mere teleprompters cannot contain trump

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Lol, heaven forbid you want the person you're voting for to advocate for your policies.

No, in fact, our political betters deserve those votes and you are selfish for denying them their god given right.

I Need Serious Convincing To Prevent A Literal White Supremacist From Taking Power

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
"we've been winning all our lives" hahahaha gently caress you trump

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah he's currently relitigating the primary, bringing up that he said Ted Cruz Sr was the second shooter and calling Heidi Cruz ugly only to say he didn't, and calling out the other guys he beat.

https://twitter.com/Isikoff/status/756504289569144832

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

emdash posted:

"we've been winning all our lives" hahahaha gently caress you trump

isn't trump's entire life basically a string of hilarious failures only undermined by blatant theft and privilege?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Yeah he's currently relitigating the primary, bringing up that he said Ted Cruz Sr was the second shooter and calling Heidi Cruz ugly only to say he didn't, and calling out the other guys he beat.

He's also adding Japan, S Korea, SA and Germany to his list of countries that must pay tribute to us.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Your fellow man deserve those votes to keep them from the serious lovely nightmare of a Trump presidency, and you are loving selfish for going "nah I'll be safe either way in my privileged existence, make it worth it to me".

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

People keep saying Kaine is the safe pick. So, what's so dangerous about Perez?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

My policies do in fact include not letting a fascist take the reins of power.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

zoux posted:

hahahaha he's really mad about being forced to stay somewhat on topic last night

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yinlock posted:

hahahaha he's really mad about being forced to stay somewhat on topic last night

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/756509235584856064

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Yinlock posted:

isn't trump's entire life basically a string of hilarious failures only undermined by blatant theft and privilege?

even the most charitable account of Trump's life, if remaining honest, has to be a tale of privilege overcoming no hardship at all

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Theris posted:

His last name is Perez.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Isikoff/status/756504289569144832

But really, Trump's totally fine with Cruz not endorsing him. No big deal. Really.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

FCKGW posted:

His last name is Perez.

Right, but is there anyone that that's a problem for who isn't already wearing a MAGA hat?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

My policies do in fact include not letting a fascist take the reins of power.

You said politicians shouldn't need to earn your vote which is the most hilariously entitled thing I've ever seen.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm starting to think that we are living in the Dead Zone movie but 60% of the country has Christopher Walken's foresight power.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Theris posted:

He doesn't have a lot of experience on the national electoral stage and has virtually no elective office experience. He's also not terribly well known.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Honestly I think it's a no-brainer to have a Hispanic VP running against Trump of all people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

You said politicians shouldn't need to earn your vote which is the most hilariously entitled thing I've ever seen.

Thinking of your vote is a commodity is actually even more entitled!

HorseRenoir posted:

Honestly I think it's a no-brainer to have a Hispanic VP running against Trump of all people.

Whatever the pick, we can be assured they were brutally vetted, focusgrouped, workshopped and crafted to be what the D's think will be the perfect compliment for the upcoming election.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/756510335016833025

MIke Pence: "I've made a terrible mistake."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

You'd have a point except in this case where one of them is an actual fascist and will ruin and end an incredible amount of lives if let into power.

Context is important!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

zoux posted:

Thinking of your vote is a commodity is actually even more entitled!

I didn't say it was?

But I'll bite, what is your vote then?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I didn't say it was?

But I'll bite, what is your vote then?

Civic responsibility.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Man, Trump's such a chump. He should have mentioned that many people believe that Ted Cruz is Ted Cruz. Sure, he hasn't weighed the evidence yet, but you gotta wonder...

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yinlock posted:

I Need Serious Convincing To Prevent A Literal White Supremacist From Taking Power

One of the problem Clinton supporters seem to have is that they have no idea why people wouldn't want to vote Clinton, and seemingly no conception of political action beyond voting. When you dismiss broad, diverse groups of people's reasons for disliking a candidate as "reasons you can't elucidate and can't admit are emotional in nature," you're talking out of your rear end. Plenty of people have been talking about why they dislike Clinton (for several threads), and explained reasons that have nothing to do with emotional reactions. If you aren't going to bother to respond to what people are actually saying, you can continue to convince absolutely no one of your ideas.

The other problem, which I've mentioned before, is that people seem to think the Democratic party cannot fail, it can only be failed by voters, who by default owe their allegiance to the lesser of two evils. These same people will often ridicule the GOP for courting white supremacists, religious nuts, and other toxic groups, rightfully blaming the GOP for their own actions in alienating large blocks of voters. They will then miss how the Democrats, through their policies and actions, have alienated people, and just blame the voters, not the party.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

The subtle emotions Pence is going through in this clip are really something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AP/status/756511143686963201

Huh, wonder why he's feeling so bold.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HorseRenoir posted:

There's no need when they're already overwhelmingly in HRC's camp

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Please keep going off-script, Donald. Please keep picking fights with your own party.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/755972015249645568

*proceeds to make rally big deal out of it*

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/NormOrnstein/status/756313781228146688

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

zoux posted:

Civic responsibility.

It's your civic responsibility to vote for Hillary. It's her turn!

Pay no attention to her policies. It's your civic responsibility to vote for her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Uranium Phoenix posted:

One of the problem Clinton supporters seem to have is that they have no idea why people wouldn't want to vote Clinton, and seemingly no conception of political action beyond voting. When you dismiss broad, diverse groups of people's reasons for disliking a candidate as "reasons you can't elucidate and can't admit are emotional in nature," you're talking out of your rear end. Plenty of people have been talking about why they dislike Clinton (for several threads), and explained reasons that have nothing to do with emotional reactions. If you aren't going to bother to respond to what people are actually saying, you can continue to convince absolutely no one of your ideas.

The other problem, which I've mentioned before, is that people seem to think the Democratic party cannot fail, it can only be failed by voters, who by default owe their allegiance to the lesser of two evils. These same people will often ridicule the GOP for courting white supremacists, religious nuts, and other toxic groups, rightfully blaming the GOP for their own actions in alienating large blocks of voters. They will then miss how the Democrats, through their policies and actions, have alienated people, and just blame the voters, not the party.

Actually I have no idea why people would want to let a fascist take power.

Why is this so hard to understand? If Clinton loses, Trump wins. If Trump wins, everything is hosed. You don't get to act above the rabble when you remain silent as a white supremacist takes power.

• Locked thread