Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's your civic responsibility to vote for Hillary. It's her turn!

Pay no attention to her policies. It's your civic responsibility to vote for her!

What a strange reach of an argument.

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/756512653548421120

Reminder that there are probably millions of GOP Cruz backers who are currently trying to come around to vote for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Pay no attention to her policies. It's your civic responsibility to vote for her!

Yinlock posted:

Why is this so hard to understand? If Clinton loses, Trump wins. If Trump wins, everything is hosed. You don't get to act above the rabble when you remain silent as a white supremacist takes power.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/756512945903964161

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7y2xPucnAo

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

There's no need when they're already overwhelmingly in HRC's camp

HRC has the Latino vote on lock but it couldn't hurt to drive up turnout. It also opens up more avenues for Trump to make gaffes when attacking Clinton's VP pick.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I said it yesterday, if you don't want to vote for her don't. Vote for whoever the gently caress you want, but please stop the bullshit of demanding she "prove something to you" that no one would ask any other candidate. If Bernie had won would you be remotely receptive to someone like me demanding that in order for me to vote for him, he'd need to prove to me that he was not a Soviet Wannabe by picking a prominent Centrist Democrat with strong foreign policy credentials? Of course not. You'd lash out at me in the same tone-deaf ways you guys have always done.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul Manafort just sat bolt upright in his bed, awakened from a dead sleep, and he doesn't know why.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Le Saboteur posted:

The subtle emotions Pence is going through in this clip are really something.

And people think he'll actually rule anything if Trump doesn't just get into another mood and make a broad commandment loud enough in front of a camera or phone that they'd be able to walk away from following it.

I wonder how many death threats Cruz as gotten since and specifically about the convention that he probably can't talk about or else the media will do the darnedest thing and and spin him as a crybaby who can't stand up to "harmless threats".

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah, I think what people fail to realize about American politics is that the two major parties are really just two large coalitions of various groups (although recent polarization has changed things somewhat). There's no real difference between the Democratic Party and a coalition of various smaller left wing parties beyond more central organization.

Yep,

The American system of Government essentially had to come down to this.

Since you need 271 to win more than 2 serious parties would essentially mean the Majority party in the House decides the presidency every time.

It's also why a super loving far right GOP so goddamn is bad for the country. It essentially means anyone who is Fiscally conservative, but Socially liberal, is essentially told yeah a vote for us means you have to support stoning gays, killing illegals and sending all black people to jail. Which means those people with consciousnesses are getting added to the Business wing of the Democrats Tent, which means the Dems are having issues pleasing the progressives, while also trying to keep the business wing happy, not even mention the fight even among progressives about whether fiscal or racial reform is more important, and the very real(but wrong) belief that fixing fiscal issues will somehow resolve racial issues in this country.

The larger a tent becomes the harder it gets to keep everyone underneath it happy.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 22, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Theris posted:

People keep saying Kaine is the safe pick. So, what's so dangerous about Perez?

Perez has never actually successfully run for any public office above the Montgomery County Maryland County Council.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 22, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Perez has never actually run for public office.

Neither had the GOP nominee!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

You know let out not go without saying, but actually Hillary Clinton is also pretty rad and has been doing good stuff her whole life and on balance would be a massive good for the country.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Perez has never actually run for public office.

He did, it was just a really small time deal: Montgomery County Council.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Yinlock posted:

Actually I have no idea why people would want to let a fascist take power.

Why is this so hard to understand? If Clinton loses, Trump wins. If Trump wins, everything is hosed. You don't get to act above the rabble when you remain silent as a white supremacist takes power.

Well, I'm glad you admitted you have no idea why someone might not vote Clinton. This is exactly the kind of post I'm talking about, by the way. You make no effort to probe the reasoning of the person you're (presumably) trying to convince, and immediately go on the attack. You assume that I haven't thought about what you're saying, without bothering to find out anything.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He did, it was just a really small time deal: Montgomery County Council.

Yeah I just caught that by double checking Wikipedia right now.

That doesn't make it any less of a potential liability though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

greatn posted:

You know let out not go without saying, but actually Hillary Clinton is also pretty rad and has been doing good stuff her whole life and on balance would be a massive good for the country.

Yeah not saying she's a bad person at all, but I figured that "please don't let Orange Hitler take power" was a more pressing issue and compelling argument

apparently I was mistaken

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I said it yesterday, if you don't want to vote for her don't. Vote for whoever the gently caress you want, but please stop the bullshit of demanding she "prove something to you" that no one would ask any other candidate. If Bernie had won would you be remotely receptive to someone like me demanding that in order for me to vote for him, he'd need to prove to me that he was not a Soviet Wannabe by picking a prominent Centrist Democrat with strong foreign policy credentials? Of course not. You'd lash out at me in the same tone-deaf ways you guys have always done.

Lol. I'd have absolutely no problem with you refusing to vote for Bernie unless his polices aligned with yours or demonstrated that through a VP pick.

Blind party loyalty is a plague. Stop suggesting people are skumbags for not blindly following whatever the Democratic party shits out.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Actually I believe you'll find that she single-handedly started the war in Iraq, killing millions.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think "opposite guy is bad" is ever a more compelling argument than "this person is pretty good"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Well, I'm glad you admitted you have no idea why someone might not vote Clinton. This is exactly the kind of post I'm talking about, by the way. You make no effort to probe the reasoning of the person you're (presumably) trying to convince, and immediately go on the attack. You assume that I haven't thought about what you're saying, without bothering to find out anything.

So what is your justification for not voting for the person opposing the literal fascist? Do you think that Trump's potential harm has been overstated?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Lol. I'd have absolutely no problem with you refusing to vote for Bernie unless his polices aligned with yours or demonstrated that through a VP pick.

Blind party loyalty is a plague. Stop suggesting people are skumbags for not blindly following whatever the Democratic party shits out.

The current Democratic candidate aligns with my personal policy of don't be an actual goddamned Nazi, Jesus Christ

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Perez has never actually successfully run for any public office above the Montgomery County Maryland County Council.

Eh, unless he's shown himself to be a bumbling fool in front of crowds, I wouldn't worry about that. And if that were the case, I doubt he would be the pick. If it's him, he has been thoroughly auditioned and vetted and he'll have top people as handlers so it'll all be fine.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

zoux posted:

So what is your justification for not voting for the person opposing the literal fascist

Someone was mean to him on an internet forum.

Therefore fascism is a welcome change.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's stupid posturing.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Scumbags, and I didn't. I said, outright, they're idiots. Idiots free to vote for whoever they want, but let's stop pretending its anything other than idiotic posturing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Actually I believe you'll find that she single-handedly started the war in Iraq, killing millions.

Also the emails contained video of her personally murdering Ambassador Chris Stephens and Benjamin Gahzi

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xae posted:

Someone was mean to him on an internet forum.

Therefore fascism is a welcome change.

Well gently caress I didn't expect him to have a good as gently caress and mature reason for it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

greatn posted:

I don't think "opposite guy is bad" is ever a more compelling argument than "this person is pretty good"

The reality is that the potential upside of Hillary Clinton is way more modest than the potential downside of Donald Trump, due to Congress and Senate likely remaining GOP controlled, so in this case it's hard to argue concrete things that will be better with Clinton vs concrete things that will be worse with Trump.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

"We may have a fascist president but I stood on my moral high ground" ~ you in November

Nitrousoxide posted:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Eh, unless he's shown himself to be a bumbling fool in front of crowds, I wouldn't worry about that. And if that were the case, I doubt he would be the pick. If it's him, he has been thoroughly auditioned and vetted and he'll have top people as handlers so it'll all be fine.

This is how McCain got Palin, btw.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Implying that Hillary Clinton is poo poo.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I admitted that I have no idea why someone would let Trump take power. So after your deep and involved research, you figure that letting a fascist rule the country would be better than voting for Hillary.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Spiritus Nox posted:

The current Democratic candidate aligns with my personal policy of don't be an actual goddamned Nazi, Jesus Christ

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's your civil responsibility to not let Trump take power, yes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

:ughh: They don't have Bernie, honey. No one wants it enough to have it available.

:qq: But I don't like Hillary flavor! *throws tantrum in rear facing car seat*

:ughh: Okay okay! Ummm, Yeah! We'll have the Trump family value pack with a side of Pence.

*everyone else in the car groans*

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

greatn posted:

All things being equal, yeah you're right.

But this "opposite guy" is like comically historically bad. Like he's operating on levels of badness that haven't been seen since the mid 60s

Mostly in the grand scheme of things I don't give a gently caress if you vote for Hillary or not, but if you don't at least please find local politicians who align with your super progressive views and show up to vote for them.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 22, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
After exhaustive research and an objective, dispassionate view of the facts, I've concluded that the orange baby who wants to jail dissidents and institute a squad of blackshirts to crack down on minorities just has the better policy positions.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This is also fascinating to me. People in this thread are going apeshit about votes, and yet, Hilary's vote for a horrifying war that led to even worse things is dismissed as something that doesn't matter. Which is it?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

MariusLecter posted:

:ughh: They don't have Bernie, honey. No one wants it enough to have it available.

:qq: But I don't like Hillary flavor! *throws tantrum in rear facing car seat*

:ughh: Okay okay! Ummm, Yeah! We'll have the Trump family value pack with a side of Pence.

*everyone else in the car groans*

That just makes it look like the picard emote is dumb as gently caress :shobon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

"We may have a fascist president but I stood on my moral high ground" ~ you in November

What's the most irritating thing about it is because most people are going to do the right thing and go out and vote against Trump, these protest voters get to keep their "ideological purity" while not risking any of the horror of a Trump presidency. I wonder if they'll constantly bring up how they didn't vote for Hillary actually...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Uranium Phoenix posted:

This is also fascinating to me. People in this thread are going apeshit about votes, and yet, Hilary's vote for a horrifying war that led to even worse things is dismissed as something that doesn't matter. Which is it?

Then vote for Jill Stein and shut the gently caress up.

• Locked thread