Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Has a headsock ever looked good?

On Gambit, mon cherie, everyzing looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

fatherboxx posted:

White dudes at Marvel trying to do "diversity" for headlines is one thing, Mark "can black people be retarded???" Millar playing that game is another.

Coming back to costumes, what the gently caress is this headsock doing in the year 2016

When did they sell Geo Force to Marvel?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Can anyone tell me why Herculues is wearing a 90s head coozy for the past two years?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He started with a headband, it got given ear protection pieces to give it sort of a wrestling/athletic vibe sometime in the 70s(?), and they've now been moved closer to the front to make it more reminiscent of a military helmet as the writer wanted to transition him back into being more of a mythical hero and less of a legendary jock.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Ah okay I see it now, it's not actually that different but when they were starting out he has one of those DBZ scouters on so he looked like Shatterstar

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Here's a live action one (Kid Flash from the Flash TV show):

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

So, still no, then.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Kid Flash costume is eternal and classic.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think the headsock looks decent on a charter like Firestorm, where the gap is because his head is venting fire. It looks weird when it just seems to serve to let your hair hang out, but when there is a better visual aspect I think it looks fine.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That Herc one isn't a headsock, it's a headdress.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Firestorm works because of what was said above. Booster and Herc (and Gambit) are arrogant smug pricks so it works on them. I've solved the equation.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
To be fair, I missed the other Firestorm post because I was searching for a Booster Gold pick with MAXIMUM :smuggo:.

No regrets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Solo is one of those generic military martial arts, master of weaponry, brilliant tactician types. The headsock fits.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Red Bones posted:

I always though the 90s tv show did a fairly decent job with their costume.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Say Nothing posted:

I always though the 90s tv show did a fairly decent job with their costume.

This looks much much better than anything I've seen out of the current show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sockser posted:

It was supposed to be absolute hell to wear though. Apparently the costumes were hard to put on and take off and after Shipp put it on he couldn't take it off until they were done filming for the day. It was also completely suffocating to wear and didn't breathe at all so he says he was constantly sick from wearing it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Red Bones posted:

Is he supposed to have a secret identity here because uhhh*

I think this would look better if he had some actual hair going on too. Solve both of these problems, give the costume a wig sticking out.

*yeah he can probably vibrate his face or whatever but shut up

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sockser posted:

I've hated Barry's costume since day one, but I thought both Earth 2 Flash and Zoom were really good.

Actually, Zoom could tone down on the different materials, but the mask owned.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Jay Garrick is the One True Flash and he always looks awesome in every version.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zoom looks absolutely awful.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Jay is awesome in the show but Zoom looks like a fan film version of a Psycho Ranger.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toshimo posted:

New 52 Jay's costume kinda sucks.

And yeah, that Zoom costume is horrible wtf.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A bad New 52 costume, you say? I'm not sure I believe you.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I feel kind of bad for anyone who gets stuck redesigning a Flash costume, because the original ones are really really good.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

Without the Civil Defense helmet, it's not right. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I feel kind of bad for anyone who gets stuck redesigning a Flash costume, because the original ones are really really good.

Yeah, Flash costumes are up there with Spider-Man costumes in not needing to really change much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They wisely rarely shot Zoom out of the dark.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They should have shot him out of a cannon with a pink slip at whatever idiot designed that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm sure the Zoom arc ended differently but now I kind-of want to see them do a multiverse Rainbow Flash battalion who comes to mop up Zoom and go "Oh yeah he's the :emo: babby Edgelored. Sorry about that."

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Endless Mike posted:

kinda?! hurrrghg :barf:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

kinda?! hurrrghg :barf:

I'd love to see the design concept art that convinced anyone to OK this. I can't even figure out what its going for.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like the idea of it but the torso should be all red, the legs all blue(those yellow lines are awful christ), and remove the side bolt for a standard emblem.

If I was in charge of redesigning Jay Garrick, it'd be a translation of the original into a t-shirt(torn off sleeves), jeans, and the helmet. The local high school football team would be the Lightning Bolts, and the shirt+helmet would be fundraising merch.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 22, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wickedhate, you've just described the Scarlet Spider's original costume. A costume deliberately designed to look like crap.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Lurdiak posted:

Wickedhate, you've just described the Scarlet Spider's original costume. A costume deliberately designed to look like crap.

What are you talking about this one?

That's like one of the best ones out there. It's just simple and fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TokenTrevor posted:

What are you talking about this one?

That's like one of the best ones out there. It's just simple and fun.

Hey, it's straight from the horse's mouth. They designed it to look slapped together and dumb, and never intended for him to wear it longer than a handful of issues, until marketing said "Wowee zowee, people love this Scarlet Spider! Postpone the passing of the torch and give him his own book!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They Springtime for Hitler'd the hell out of it.

• Locked thread