Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm getting that error where when you try to log on to a computer that hasn't been online since your credentials changed, you get the message saying that no logon servers are available to service the logon request.

I was hired after this computer was last used, and our senior tech is on PTO so I can't ask him for a local account. I know I fixed this before, does anyone know how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Non-Security-Compliant answer: hack the drat thing with boot media and Sticky Keys -> Cmd switchery, give yourself a local admin account, bring it online, log in with the domain account, remove the local admin account.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm getting that error where when you try to log on to a computer that hasn't been online since your credentials changed, you get the message saying that no logon servers are available to service the logon request.

I was hired after this computer was last used, and our senior tech is on PTO so I can't ask him for a local account. I know I fixed this before, does anyone know how?

"No logon servers" just means it can't communicate with the DC, the fix is to make sure you can route to the right place from wherever you are.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

"No logon servers" just means it can't communicate with the DC, the fix is to make sure you can route to the right place from wherever you are.

Actually, it can also be caused by the PC not having synced up with the DC since before the credentials were created. I saw that all the time at my old job where they would recycle computers from the old employee to the new one. It won't sync up until someone logs in, at least in some situations.

Judge Schnoopy, I have no idea what you mean by sticky keys - cmd switchery.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Actually, it can also be caused by the PC not having synced up with the DC since before the credentials were created. I saw that all the time at my old job where they would recycle computers from the old employee to the new one. It won't sync up until someone logs in, at least in some situations.

You can change the ease of access/sticky keys executable to a cmd prompt that has admin privileges and use that to do whatever the gently caress you want.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Apparently Verizon poo poo all over the bed this morning as nothing at work is connecting and I'm seeing lots of home connections having a poo poo fit too.

YAY

Edit: and then one of our offices closed for a gas leak haha

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 22, 2016

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

uPen posted:

You can change the ease of access/sticky keys executable to a cmd prompt that has admin privileges and use that to do whatever the gently caress you want.

Yep this is how it works. Doesn't take very long either.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yep this is how it works. Doesn't take very long either.

The good news is that in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 recovery media, admin credentials are required to open the PXE command prompt (or do any repair functions).

The bad news is that Windows 8 recovery media still works anyway :v:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Boot from Windows PE or Windows RE and access the command prompt.
Find the drive letter of the partition where Windows is installed. In Vista and Windows XP, it is usually C:, in Windows 7, it is D: in most cases because the first partition contains Startup Repair. To find the drive letter, type C: (or D:, respectively) and search for the Windows folder. Note that Windows PE (RE) usually resides on X:.
Type the following command (replace “c:” with the correct drive letter if Windows is not located on C:):
copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\
This creates a copy of sethc.exe to restore later.
Type this command to replace sethc.exe with cmd.exe:
copy /y c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe
Reboot your computer and start the Windows installation where you forgot the administrator password.
After you see the logon screen, press the SHIFT key five times.
You should see a command prompt

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That is really cool and an example of how lovely a lot of security measures are against people who know what they are doing.

Then again, if you have physical access, isn't there a jumper or something that will reset the admin password too? I remember something like that from my Dell, HP, and Lenovo trainings.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That is really cool and an example of how lovely a lot of security measures are against people who know what they are doing.

Then again, if you have physical access, isn't there a jumper or something that will reset the admin password too? I remember something like that from my Dell, HP, and Lenovo trainings.

Those are for resetting the BIOS password; they won't do anything to the OS password.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Methanar posted:

You should see a command prompt

And just to be clear the command prompt is running with SYSTEM credentials, so literally everything is accessible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That doesn't make sense though, the computer doesn't store credential info for initial logins. If the computer is on the domain and can access the DC, there's no "syncing" required going on, it's just sending the login info to the DC and asking "Is this a user?"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kaethela posted:

Those are for resetting the BIOS password; they won't do anything to the OS password.

Okay. It's been a couple years, and I was alt-tabbed through most of it because it was 1/3 boring poo poo everyone knows and 1/2 advertising.

Maybe the PC can't access the DC while not logged on, maybe it's just for wireless, I don't know. All I know is that I would log on as local admin, log out, and it would start working. No work on the DC whatsoever.

All of the Google results say that it's a problem with the cached credentials.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 22, 2016

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
It's even easier in OS X if they have a Recovery HD. Hold down Command-R on a reboot and once you're in the recovery HD you can open up terminal you can type in resetpassword and boom.

Or you can do it the slightly harder but still easy way through single user mode: http://osxdaily.com/2011/04/25/change-admin-password-mac/

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

quote:

We are not able to search the current published KA's and even two days back published articles and there versions are not searchable.
Rest all the searhc/global search are working fine but only impact is with the recent published KA's.

Please provide your valuable input on the same ASAP and will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

AA

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Did they sign it AA cause they knew you would start drinking as soon as you read it?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think what you're thinking of is when a machine loses it's trust with the DC.

In the case of that error message just removing the network connection and using a cached domain login will get you around enough to remove/readd the machine to the DC.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We didn't even need to do anything with removing and adding. I just had my supervisor log in and that fixed it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mo_Steel posted:

Nah, it just reset to it's default settings for phone ringing which is to only ring one line. Turns out you have to assign each station to ring as well. :eng101:

I can't wait until we can setup some sort of alternate solution like VoIP, that'd be amazing.

e: vvv I'll take a look thanks.

Be careful what you wish for.

Alternatively the new iSymphony looks AMAZING :allears:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Alternatively the new iSymphony looks AMAZING :allears:

We rebranded an old-rear end version of iSymphony that we're now stuck on forever because most of our customers use it. It's so old that i9 refuses to respond to our support tickets.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kaethela posted:

We rebranded an old-rear end version of iSymphony that we're now stuck on forever because most of our customers use it. It's so old that i9 refuses to respond to our support tickets.

whatever you do, for gently caress's sake do not update java. ever.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The good news is that in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 recovery media, admin credentials are required to open the PXE command prompt (or do any repair functions).

The bad news is that Windows 8 recovery media still works anyway :v:

If the PC allows you to boot from USB or CD you can just stick a bootable anything in and do whatever you want so requiring the admin password doesn't stop people who are maliciously breaking into a PC and just makes it more annoying to get into it if you're trying to fix something stupid.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh man, 90% of tickets that come in saying it's broken are because they updated Java. God forbid you're not on the exact version of Java that this piece of poo poo runs off of. Of course we're not upgrading new clients to the latest version, that would be too easy. No, we're instead paying i9 stupid amounts of money for a deprecated version that barely works! :shepicide:

I had a call come in the other day complaining that the drag-and-drop feature didn't work, and I had to mute myself because of how hard I was laughing.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A note to anybody working in the media field who runs CatDV: do not upgrade to Server 7.1. Either keep Server 6 or find a way to get your hands on Server 7.0.6 because holy poo poo 7.1 breaks a ton of stuff.

Things I was running perfectly fine (ie field sets and the web apps) break horrendously under Server 7.1. Nothing like seeing "An invalid character [32] was present in the Cookie value" every time I load a page in the web interface :smith:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Turns out we have the local administrator password in our shared password manager. I feel dumb now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am guilty of not checking in the places where things are supposed to be documented because every time I need to find something out the documentation either doesn't exist or isn't accurate. Until the one occasion where it does exist and is accurate and then you just look like an idiot when someone replies to your email with the link to exactly what you couldn't be bothered to look up yourself.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've been trying to go home for 45 minutes now but people keep pulling me into their office. The latest one?

Her: I can't open documents from emails!
Me: *lifts her phone off the keyboard because it's resting on the Pause/Break key*

Yeah, I'm going home now. Have a good weekend everybody!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Same goes for ADP, I loving hate that garbage - wrestled with a client PC that was having issues with ADP in both IE and Firefox. Firefox worked until a recent browser update, apparently Mozilla decided to block older Java like Chrome did and the version ADP uses won't run in Firefox any more :downs: There are 3 different Java versions for IE, I loaded the most recent one and finally got the site functionality working...only to have the user bitch that they "don't like IE".

Too loving bad, not my problem, go bitch to ADP's devs for being lazy shitstains. Then, shut up and do your drat job.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Same goes for ADP, I loving hate that garbage - wrestled with a client PC that was having issues with ADP in both IE and Firefox. Firefox worked until a recent browser update, apparently Mozilla decided to block older Java like Chrome did and the version ADP uses won't run in Firefox any more :downs: There are 3 different Java versions for IE, I loaded the most recent one and finally got the site functionality working...only to have the user bitch that they "don't like IE".

Too loving bad, not my problem, go bitch to ADP's devs for being lazy shitstains. Then, shut up and do your drat job.

ADP is some terrible stuff. It works in Chrome at my work and not IE... but at home it works in IE and not Chrome. Why? gently caress you, that's why. :psyduck:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mo_Steel posted:

ADP is some terrible stuff. It works in Chrome at my work and not IE... but at home it works in IE and not Chrome. Why? gently caress you, that's why. :psyduck:

Sounds like your work isn't updating chrome, maybe.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Yay, another reason for me to start looking for non-IT work, because this goddamn job is killing me slowly. I'm on call until next Thursday and just got word from my engineer partner that he can't make it to a client site Sunday morning to help build out a server rack and equipment. I guess his wife has to fly out of state for jury duty and he apparently didn't think to get a babysitter or day care set up for his kid. So now I've got to deal with potentially being woke up several times because this just happens to be a weekend when everyone and their loving grandmother is doing some kind of server change/updates. To top it off the other guy helping do the rack setup "volunteered" us to go on site at SEVEN loving THIRTY A.M. and I live about a half hour away, so that'll be fun working on poo poo sleep and getting up at 6 to prepare for this stupid bullshit. On top of carrying a laptop for weekend on call and hoping nobody calls, emails, or has any emergencies because like half the loving office took vacation this week and management didn't think to plan out having coverage for project work.

I should've listened to my dad when he told me NOT to go into IT back in high school. Getting real tired of these last second bullshit excuses and getting extra work dumped on my rear end because of someone else's lack of planning or blatant stubbornness.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Getting real tired of these last second bullshit excuses and getting extra work dumped on my rear end because of someone else's lack of planning or blatant stubbornness.

You'll find that this is 90% of your day and everyone's day in every job in corporate america, so if you're hoping to escape that you will be disappointed. Still your other gripes about IT are pretty spot on, gently caress being on call I remember that poo poo hahahah.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Nothing like wasting an entire day because first tier support of a vendor can't do anything but send me links to the help pages on their website. Said help pages have incorrect and/or outdated information about setting up the service on Windows so I scrap it and set everything up on a Mac server which I know works.

When someone higher up finally gets back to me (at 7pm) with something that solves my problem within 5 minutes my first thought is: "shouldn't that be on your website?". But no, why would good information be on a vendor's website?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Super Slash posted:

Seems reason enough to go nuclear on it, it's not like there's any tragic loss (unless work was actually lost).

Yeah, that was definitely the safest route, and it helped the dude rid himself from years and years of old software that had been cloned forward from old PC's. I just would rather that my boss taken the hour or two of his own time to confirm the situation instead of jumping to conclusions that lead to quite a lot more work for everyone. I'm not saying that it was the wrong move.

I'm more just :negative: of the entire situation and having no server access to be able to make my case that what's most likely to have happened is that the dude essentially gave his creds away and our mail server had very little in place to mitigate the damage from that happening.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

On top of this, the company I work for is supposedly "not a Mac support shop", yet now I can't get a clear answer from managers or owners on (a) whether or not we support them or (b) if we do, to what extent?

This is kind of my boat too, but my boss is usually pretty good about telling people to fix stuff themselves. However, if there's literally nobody in a department that can do the needful then that usually falls to me. So the breadth of support tickets I take care of is pretty crazy since some departments have people who can act as IT staff up to and including web programming and administering web servers while other departments don't even have anyone who can install MS Office.

Sometimes it's flattening and reinstalling computers. Sometimes it's hardening a Mac web server that really shouldn't be running. Sometimes it's providing consulting to a web server admin in another department about what to do after their web server gets hacked.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 23, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanks Ants posted:

I am guilty of not checking in the places where things are supposed to be documented because every time I need to find something out the documentation either doesn't exist or isn't accurate. Until the one occasion where it does exist and is accurate and then you just look like an idiot when someone replies to your email with the link to exactly what you couldn't be bothered to look up yourself.

Be the change you want to see and update it as you go. Or put together an internal wiki with it all if there isn't one.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Q: My mailbox in Exchange is 20 GB in size, I also have two other peoples' 10-15 GB mailboxes open in my profile, I've figured out how to put outlook in my windows startup folder so the program runs at logon, and every time I come back to my desk after getting my coffee, a box has popped up saying it cannot locate my 15 GB .pst file which is saved to a network drive, or else Outlook is completely hung. What is the problem with Are System?

A: Go gently caress yourself.

That post/avatar combo is PERFECT. :golfclap:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

We have the cloud version of our software in the early stages of rollout to clients and for them to copy their existing data to it we need to install a piece of software on their machine which appears as a mapped drive. The users then copy the files into the only subfolder in it and they automatically upload. The files have to be in that folder, but otherwise there's no real structure they need to be in.

Had a client on Friday who literally couldn't comprehend how to copy or paste even though he's ostensibly their IT admin; after 45 minutes of showing him how (which eventually got down to me literally step by step showing him how to select a folder, right click copy/paste) he said he understood and would proceed.

Monday morning he emailed his client care manager saying it hadn't worked, I was totally condescending and he was angry at the whole process and that it was too difficult.

I logged in remotely and he'd managed to cut and paste (or at least, attempted to) his data folder onto a totally different mapped drive which subsequently ran out of space :suicide:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

iajanus posted:

We have the cloud version of our software in the early stages of rollout to clients and for them to copy their existing data to it we need to install a piece of software on their machine which appears as a mapped drive. The users then copy the files into the only subfolder in it and they automatically upload. The files have to be in that folder, but otherwise there's no real structure they need to be in.

Had a client on Friday who literally couldn't comprehend how to copy or paste even though he's ostensibly their IT admin; after 45 minutes of showing him how (which eventually got down to me literally step by step showing him how to select a folder, right click copy/paste) he said he understood and would proceed.

Monday morning he emailed his client care manager saying it hadn't worked, I was totally condescending and he was angry at the whole process and that it was too difficult.

I logged in remotely and he'd managed to cut and paste (or at least, attempted to) his data folder onto a totally different mapped drive which subsequently ran out of space :suicide:

:psyduck: How does he even have other mapped drives at that level of understanding? Did a VAR setup Group Policy for his company or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
We have a customer that wants to enable RDP access for their home users. I know this is generally seen as 'bad' but I don't think they will budge on this, and don't want to have to VPN in first, just straight RDP.

So... whats the best practices on making this as secure as possible ?

my thoughts so far are:

# account lockout after x number of attempts
# decent passwords required
# possibly change the RDP port ? not sure if this breaks RDP apps on iPads etc though ?
# disable elevated accounts (admin etc)
# lockout everyone who doesn't need access

anything else to think about ?

• Locked thread