Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

i want raids to happen. i dont want game ending scenarios like three ancient catepillars emerging from a ship landing on my base just because the ai decided i was taking too long

what mod does that?

Dev mode and kill the fuckers.

The game exists solely to kill your colony as quickly, gruesomely and/or infuriatingly as possible. You will need to cheat if that isn't your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wandering Orange posted:

Dev mode and kill the fuckers.

The game exists solely to kill your colony as quickly, gruesomely and/or infuriatingly as possible. You will need to cheat if that isn't your thing.

There was a mod at one point that let you build shields that prevented things from just dropping through your roofs. Not sure what it was called, and a brief search isn't really helping. Maybe skullywags?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14135.0

Things like that were always a great QoL change, so at least everything had to come from places other than right inside your kitchen

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There's another mod that just disables all the mechanoid faction, I dunno if it's been updated. To me the mechanoid ship parts and raids are just annoying bullshit that you either cheese the hell out of or just mod out, they're designed to wreck colonies and not really balanced well at all.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The lower difficulty settings will prolong higher level raids, higher level being raids that can wipe you if you're not ready OR it's right on the back of something else that made you be not ready.

But that's the game. The game is learning the systems so well and becoming such a pro at things like making efficient killboxes and how best to store and process supplies so that increasingly ridiculous events are required, back to back, to rock you at all.

A few points to remember:
1) Turrets are cool and all but they take components and have weaknesses. One thing you have a limitless supply of is people, particularly with a mod like Hospitality. The way I play at the moment is get the core colony team happening (Doc, Chef, etc) and restrict them to indoors and just around the colony. No reason to have the Doc walking across the map to haul something and oops, suddenly we've got a raid on and our star doctor is trudging through the loving forest hauling a deer rear end. Once that core team is sorted, then start raising a militia. Three decent shooters and a couple of people handy with a sword will wreck poo poo for literally years, a turret or two well placed with some well designed cover for your shooters to shoot from (made from granite blocks because they're strong and take a lot of fire before they crumble) and you can stop multiple centipedes in their tracks.

2) Infection if treated is usually not fatal, but you can get a bad roll of the dice and lose someone like this. I will usually change the health options for all the colonists to use only herbal medicine, plant a bunch of that you'll be mostly fine. Stockpile the better, 'real' medicine and then when you get an emergency like your star Chef goes down you can use some of the real meds on him and improve his chance of surviving. Also, you need a backup if your doctor gets sick! You'll need a second-in-line doctor who has good enough skill to patch up the real doctor if they go down. Keep this in mind when reviewing potential additions to the colony. Someone who will clean and haul, can plant crops and has a few points in Medicine is an asset.

I'll write more later.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Are you talking about some embrasure type mod?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is there a way to get my colonists to automatically haul all the wood they cut down or the stuff they mine? They just leave it on the floor instead of taking it to the zone I marked for dumping wood/steel.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Elderbean posted:

Is there a way to get my colonists to automatically haul all the wood they cut down or the stuff they mine? They just leave it on the floor instead of taking it to the zone I marked for dumping wood/steel.

Hauling is toward the bottom of job priority, so if there's a task that needs done that's more important (i. e. further to the left) on the job assignment dialog, they'll tend to do that first. That's why cleaning only seems to get done if there's nothing left to do- it's literally the lowest-priority job.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, they'll pick up the wood and metal and anything else on the map that isn't forbidden but it's a very low priority job. That's another tip, the job allocation and priority is a huge part of the actual game. Learning how to get done what you want (like I need this stuff hauled so designating even more stuff to be hauled is not a good idea until this is done first) is critical.

Flesh Forge posted:

No, just cover. So a couple of squares of granite and then have your shooter behind it, with the granite between them and the enemy. They'll peek out and shoot, but get a huge cover bonus which helps in combat greatly. If you're really tricky you'll clear the area leading to your base, so eventually the enemy has to cover a large open area with no cover to reach you while you huddle behind your granite walls and blow body parts off them as they run toward you.

Most things just don't wanna fight no more once they've copped a headshot or two.

Stupid mechanoids stop because they don't want to walk in range of the turrets, but the rifles have a longer range. So they'll stop and just sit there, getting hit with rifle fire, shooting at the turrets which because they're folded into the granite walls and surrounded by sandbags are really pretty tough.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Remember that the game is balanced around a non-modded experience. You can completely ruin the "difficulty" by getting mods that make it so you can fight back against raiders and have absolutely no risk in return.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, but I'm talking about totally vanilla.

I guess I'm saying there is perhaps more going on in the combat that is initially obvious and by leveraging it you can defend against a surprising amount of raiders.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Stupid mechanoids stop because they don't want to walk in range of the turrets, but the rifles have a longer range. So they'll stop and just sit there, getting hit with rifle fire, shooting at the turrets which because they're folded into the granite walls and surrounded by sandbags are really pretty tough.

Yeah this is what I mean about cheesing their AI one way or another. Basically if you don't do something like that, you get mashed, and this fails completely if you're trying to run melee dudes. Turrets aren't even necessary at all except for cheesing centipedes.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Seriously considering just giving all my tribals the Heat Lover trait on start up. Goddamn. I never seem to get hats made by my first heat wave.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

He's talking about this kind of setup

The shooters hide behind the blocks and lean out to take shots. Gives excellent cover from most return fire (explosives will still ruin your day)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Seriously considering just giving all my tribals the Heat Lover trait on start up. Goddamn. I never seem to get hats made by my first heat wave.

or you could start with hats I guess

MadJackMcJack posted:

He's talking about this kind of setup

The shooters hide behind the blocks and lean out to take shots. Gives excellent cover from most return fire (explosives will still ruin your day)

Yeah that's a great setup, it limits each colonist's firing arc but if your targets are far away it's really good.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Red Mundus posted:

Are there any good tutorial/beginner videos to watch? I found a few but they're all twitch streamers and most of the videos are split 60/40 between playing the game and sucking off subscribers.

Chris Remo of Idle Thumbs started playing a few days ago and enticed me to buy the game, if you want a chill learning from mistakes stream I recommend it - https://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/profile . Quill18 has some more in-depth Let's Plays with some good tips too.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

beef express posted:

Chris Remo of Idle Thumbs started playing a few days ago and enticed me to buy the game, if you want a chill learning from mistakes stream I recommend it - https://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/profile . Quill18 has some more in-depth Let's Plays with some good tips too.

My biggest issue with quill18's videos is when he uploads his twitch livestream footage from games. He gets way too distracted with those, but his regular videos I find pretty good. Easiest way to tell if it's a stream or his regular videos? He generally doesn't use the facecam when playing games off-stream.

Etalyx seems to have a really chill personality when it comes to RimWorld. He might not be the most experienced, but I can tell he's having fun playing the game.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I managed to survive a heat wave as tribals with no losses, but other than 'half the colony was heat-loving' i couldn't actually tell you why nobody died. My heat-sensitive colonists were flopping over left and right by the time the heat broke, but i had medical-tagged beds in the rooms that were coolest both day and night, so they just kinda pulled through?

Although I will say, even 'extreme' heatstroke didn't seem to cause any brain damage, which was... oddly merciful.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
First colony went to pieces after pirates from someone I took in killed my best character's fiancée and her brother got kidnapped. She beat my nerd researcher until he couldn't move, then died of an infection. Then he died of the same infection. My pacifist doctor whose poor treatment of her fiancée started this is now sitting alone in a once thriving colony slowly dying of frostbite as winter sets in A+ GOTY

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Did that retractable walls mod ever update? I don't even remember the name to check.

It was always so nice to be able to have a wall pop up around your thermo generators and at certain access points.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
With mood chat in mind, the one thing that bothers me the most is that goddamn "Rebuffed by X" modifier, because Jesus H. Christ they never stop trying. I've seen that get up to at least -20 in the space of a day because one of my pawns kept propositioning the other over and over and over and got rebuffed every time.

A close second is the repeated mental breaks I've dealt with because any amount of mining at all immediately causes "Hideous environment" and "Cramped environment" (even if it's a mining tunnel connected to a huge and beautiful room), as well as often causing "Ate without table" because they're too stupid to walk back over to the dining room before eating.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 22, 2016

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Roadie posted:

With mood chat in mind, the one thing that bothers me the most is that goddamn "Rebuffed by X" modifier, because Jesus H. Christ they never stop trying. I've seen that get up to at least -20 in the space of a day because one of my pawns kept propositioning the other over and over and over and got rebuffed every time.

Had that trigger a mental break; the colonist who had about 20 "rebuffed" hits just caved in the face of the chef for whom she had been pining since two days after the crashlanding.

Said chef was also my best doctor.

Maybe that mood modifier should not stack with itself. At least for the same person.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

DopeGhoti posted:

Maybe that mood modifier should not stack with itself. At least for the same person.

Maybe getting rebuffed should prevent them from trying again for a day. I know colonists can be goony fucks, but Jesus. The little shits just do not give up.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Elderbean posted:

it's pretty useful to every once in a while have a hauling day or cleaning day where every colonist drops what they're doing and just tidies up. also just find someone with semi-useless skills and make them the designated thing mover

also if you're not using the more complex priorities, do that. you can then move hauling and cleaning further up the priority list, usually my only level 4 priority is plant cutting and cleaning is usually a 2 or 3

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 22, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
My colonist need to get over gunning down lovely recent joiners. Sorry, abrasive, lazy and dementia ridden Tabitha cannot stay.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I saw a pretty good post on the Ludeon forums that makes the case that the whole mood system is kind of lovely right now because it should actually be two separate things: "mood", which would affect work efficiency, tendency to slack off and do spontaneous joy activities like stargazing, and interaction with other pawns; and "stress", which would affect things like tendency to turn arguments with pawns into fights, ability to tame animals, failure rates when constructing, etc.

Having plenty of food and guns in lovely accommodations would be low mood, low stress. Living in a palace but with almost no food and a bunch of mad animals running around would be high mood, high stress. That kind of thing.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

also if you're not using the more complex priorities, do that. you can then move hauling and cleaning further up the priority list, usually my only level 4 priority is plant cutting and cleaning is usually a 2 or 3

I typically have plant cutting at number 1 for most of my colonists. Aside from the very beginning of the game, if I'm manually ordering food to be harvested or trees chopped then the situation is probably pretty dire and I need all hands on deck.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

DopeGhoti posted:

Had that trigger a mental break; the colonist who had about 20 "rebuffed" hits just caved in the face of the chef for whom she had been pining since two days after the crashlanding.

Said chef was also my best doctor.

I had a pair of lovers who hated the sight of each other. One finally decided to proposed and was denied. Twice in a row. The stacked penalties resulted in him going berzerk constantly for almost a year. As soon as he was brought under control he would propose again. His lover eventually had to kill him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can only imagine that The Naked Shrub Fondling Incident was pretty spectacular to behold given that fully one third of all art in my colony relates to it:

I also like to imagine that the uncountable pilots is basically the heavenly host from the sistene chapel except adam is replaced by the naked dude humping a bush.

Perhaps that actually happened and that's why everyone likes arting about it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 22, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Thats such a well organized looking base. Every single one of mine look like some sort of hosed up outpost where Captain Willard grabs the first man and asks, "Whose in charge!?" Before the glassy eyed colonist entones, "you are. "

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blacktoll posted:

Thats such a well organized looking base. Every single one of mine look like some sort of hosed up outpost where Captain Willard grabs the first man and asks, "Whose in charge!?" Before the glassy eyed colonist entones, "you are. "

I get cranky if the base looks scruffy.

I am wanting to update my walls with lights built in mod but urrgh they changed all the formatting for everything and it's a pain in the arse looking everything up again.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

You're really not lying. Mine are almost always covered in muck, fetid poo poo and corpses of ignorant tribals. The only ones that don't break are abject psychopaths and the animals.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

My last colony died because I thought venting the cooler into the kitchen would be a great idea. Cut to all my colonists going berserk and fighting random animals. I decided it was time to reroll when one of my best colonists decided to go berserk on a cougar and preceeded to get his head bitten off. :thatsrimworld:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tinny_Tim posted:

My last colony died because I thought venting the cooler into the kitchen would be a great idea. Cut to all my colonists going berserk and fighting random animals. I decided it was time to reroll when one of my best colonists decided to go berserk on a cougar and preceeded to get his head bitten off. :thatsrimworld:

I mean that is a good idea if you make sure the kitchen is also well ventilated as coolers do put out a lot of heat that can be used, though you probably don't need heat when the cooler is running, of course.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Tinny_Tim posted:

My walk-in freezer is the kitchen. Stockpile literally next to the stove; pile of lavish TV dinners right next to the dinning room / pool hall.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ugh why do i even bother cooking simple meals for my tribe if they all just eat pemmican anyway

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
My bases are basically just lovely shacks haphazardly dumped around the place, sometimes encircled by a wall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

ugh why do i even bother cooking simple meals for my tribe if they all just eat pemmican anyway

Pemmican does count as a meal, oddly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

Pemmican does count as a meal, oddly.

Cause it is a meal not an ingredient.

Unless you're making pemmican that's really the ideal situation to be in anyway, rid yourself of some stacks in your freezer (tho pemmican does sell really well to the tribal merchants, so there is something to be said for forbidding it so you can sell it all)

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Help I am drowning in wolves. My test subject crazy person turned out to be some kind of animal savant and managed to tame a handful and now there are so many puppies.

Raiders get torn apart by a swarm of adorable tiny varmints when they get past my walls, it is hilarious. Soon they will be big varmints and I have to think of some way to weaponize them that isn't as time consuming as training all of them with just one animal trainer.

E: they are also eating everything and I don't have a very steady supply of meat. I guess I could let them eat the dead raiders?

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
"Too many wolves" seems like a great solution to the "We need more meat" problem. Just get that sorted before bonds are formed.