Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Good to know. I'll have to see how a less-full SMC experience goes over, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't mind the post spam at all Apoplexy. I'm actually going through a lesser version of what your dealing with. I get stuttering and FPS dips into the 30's and 40's when outdoors and I assume it's memory management related because of just how lovely Skyrim handles that aspect of the game and how overboard so many modders go with their 8000000000K resolution download options as their standard release.

I was testing FPS and performance using the same method of checking out Riften and Riverwood. For whatever reason, populated towns full of NPCs and meshes are where the dips occur whereas looking at distant fields, mountains, and lakes keeps the FPS nice and high.

In my troubleshooting, I tried enblocal.ini's ExpandedMemoryX64=true option to go beyond the 32-bit memory limit, but this results in instant CTD upon game load every time. I've read loads of guides on how to configure enblocal.ini and I understand the settings pretty well, but the reason for this crash eludes me. I tried setting available VRAM to my card's RAM - 128 (8GB - 128 = 8064) and I've also tried setting it to RAM + VRAM - 2048 (16GB + 8GB - 2048 = 22528) so I think I'm getting those numbers right at least. Since I cannot seem to figure it out, looks like I just need to downgrade every texture pack to their lower res "performance" versions and see where that gets me? :shrug: Unless anyone else has ideas on how to fix the X64 memory CTD.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, I can use expandedmemoryx64=true, it's just that it gives one tiny problem in that the Riverwood smithy sign is untextured (what, why that one single object and nothing else?) and doesn't seem to fix any of the problem I'm facing. So I am pretty sure I just need to A: get more RAM and B: tone down the textures. Oh, how you get ExpandedMemoryx64=true to not crash you is you either use Crash Fixes OSAllocators, the C malloc method thingy we talked about, see if that'll crash it. If it doesn't, you're good. If not, turn that off and change the SKSE memory fix settings to 768 block 1 and 256 scrap block.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
There we go. I got 15 gigs down to 13.5 by downgrading a few things and leaving a few off the SMC list, now DDSoptimization is killing about 20% more. That should be enough that Skyrim is FUNCTIONAL at least, you'd think, right?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What is SMC? I'm drawing a blank for some reason. Also how are you monitoring all your numbers? What overlay(s) do you use?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
SMC = Skyrim Mod Combiner, I think?

so realchat, how bad is Windows 10 and its weird VRAM/RAM issue going to obliterate Skyrim for me? Is this even a question anyone can answer? Microsoft won't leave me alone about updating and I probably will - Skyrim is my only actual question mark at this point :shrug:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Psion posted:

so realchat, how bad is Windows 10 and its weird VRAM/RAM issue going to obliterate Skyrim for me? Is this even a question anyone can answer? Microsoft won't leave me alone about updating and I probably will - Skyrim is my only actual question mark at this point :shrug:

I didn't notice any change what so ever after updating fwiw.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Psion posted:

Are you on Windows 7 or 8? If 8 then just upgrade.

If you're on 7, then do you NEED to have more than 4GB of VRAM for your Skyrim to function? If no then upgrading from 7 won't affect you in the slightest.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cool, good to know. I haven't looked at my vram stats but I try not to overload with 4372 billion 8k texture mods, so I'm probably fine.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The 4GB VRAM limit is a DX9 API limit. There's nothing that can be done about it.

Now, when the special edition is out, that probably won't have the issue, if it's using the same DirectX as Fallout 4 does.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Siets posted:

What is SMC? I'm drawing a blank for some reason. Also how are you monitoring all your numbers? What overlay(s) do you use?

Yeah, Skyrim Mod Combiner. Skyrim Performance Monitor for the latter.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
By the way, update on my situation, seem to have fixed all those problems I was having. Just in time to upgrade my RAM to 16 gigs. Probably gonna end up having the previous problem entirely solved by that, but whatever, only difference is in some normalmaps.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
SMC has an option to DDSOptimize the output - right click on the banner image and select "DDSOpt Output"

also don't use Skyrim Distance Overhaul which is part of it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Any other SMC mods we should avoid?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Apoplexy posted:

By the way, update on my situation, seem to have fixed all those problems I was having. Just in time to upgrade my RAM to 16 gigs. Probably gonna end up having the previous problem entirely solved by that, but whatever, only difference is in some normalmaps.

Nah it probably won't, since it's not the quantity of RAM that's the problem, it's that you push over to RAM at all AFAIK. VRAM and the pipeline in the GPU is much cleaner then piping all that data back and forth from RAM. We're talking barely less efficient, but enough to cause stuttering when your moving around in areas with loads of textures dumped into the different VRAM and RAM spaces. Vanilla Skyrim will almost never saturate it, but enough 2k/4k textures and all of a sudden your preloading like 8 gigs of texture data as you move around.

Getting a better video card with more VRAM, like going a 970 and to 980ti will do far more to avoid it then just upgrading RAM. It's funny though in that the lower end cards with more VRAM tend to be a trap because the memory bandwidth isn't high enough to avoid the problem, making the extra VRAM a waste of time.

This type of VRAM saturation is extremely rare for most games, limited to things like Skyrim with tons of textures, shadows of Mordor with the texture DLC, etc, so it's not often this is the problem people run into.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 22, 2016

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Gyshall posted:

SMC has an option to DDSOptimize the output - right click on the banner image and select "DDSOpt Output"

also don't use Skyrim Distance Overhaul which is part of it.

Already accounted for. I've been using SMC in expert mode for as long as I've had it. You can also have it unpack all the BSAs, which is smart when dealing with all those loving files with a priority you can't exactly specify when they're packed up. Also, SDO has been completely phased out and replaced with a 'use DynDOLOD' notice.

Mazz posted:

Nah it probably won't, since it's not the quantity of RAM that's the problem, it's that you push over to RAM at all AFAIK. VRAM and the pipeline in the GPU is much cleaner then piping all that data back and forth from RAM. We're talking barely less efficient, but enough to cause stuttering when your moving around in areas with loads of textures dumped into the different VRAM and RAM spaces. Vanilla Skyrim will almost never saturate it, but enough 2k/4k textures and all of a sudden your preloading like 8 gigs of texture data as you move around.

Getting a better video card with more VRAM, like going a 970 and to 980ti will do far more to avoid it then just upgrading RAM. It's funny though in that the lower end cards with more VRAM tend to be a trap because the memory bandwidth isn't high enough to avoid the problem, making the extra VRAM a waste of time.

This type of VRAM saturation is extremely rare for most games, limited to things like Skyrim with tons of textures, shadows of Mordor with the texture DLC, etc, so it's not often this is the problem people run into.

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated to have someone with the knowledge helping out!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Apoplexy posted:

You can also have it unpack all the BSAs, which is smart when dealing with all those loving files with a priority you can't exactly specify when they're packed up.

Just use Mod Organizer, it automagically does that for you without actually needing to unpack anything by hand.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Sigh. You don't understand. SMC takes allllllll these different texture mods and combines them by each mod's individual quality of each texture, right? Well, if something's archived in a BSA, it can't separate out the poo poo. It just takes the whole BSA and gives it to you in the output, without modifying what it contains. Meaning the poo poo textures of Mod X.bsa is going to be hanging around, polluting what was otherwise a good output from SMC.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

MO can be set to extract bsa's as the mods are loaded into it, so it generates texture folders which you would grab and put into SMC. Don't be a dick Mr. tech issue supreme or no one will want to deal with you

Apoplexy posted:

Sigh. You don't understand.
I don't like you.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
SMC working better/easier with DYNDOLOD is good news. That was the only lacking thing about it as far as I remember (well also dragons getting stuck flying in circles but maybe that was something else actually)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Mortimer posted:

I don't like you.

I'm feeling surly and I still went to the effort to explain what I fully meant instead of just leaving it at that. Oh, and I don't really know you or care about your opinion on me either way.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Goons, goons, please. There's no need to fight.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Apoplexy posted:

Oh, and I don't really know you or care about your opinion on me either way.

:jerkbag:

It's a Skyrim mod thread where people that people can ask for help with problems in. Going "ugh so ignorant" in this type of thread pretty poo poo and one of the reasons Nexus loving sucks and people ask for help here rather than there.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's interesting to see someone who's been asking for tech help for like two pages suddenly start sneering at the ignorant plebs.

lol
\/\/\/

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 22, 2016

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I was asking for help of a little bit higher level than 'hey just leave texture mods in BSAs they'll be handled identically to loose files' but don't let the finer details affect the level of discourse here.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this is a class of nerd i'd thought extinct

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Apoplexy posted:

I was asking for help of a little bit higher level than 'hey just leave texture mods in BSAs they'll be handled identically to loose files' but don't let the finer details affect the level of discourse here.

You can explain that their advice offered was not helpful while still maintaining a standard level of respectfulness for someone that's trying to help you.

Whether or not you require "advanced advice" or whatever you want yo call it isn't what's rubbing people the wrong way, just a heads up.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

+2 points for editing the post to include an actual explanation, -3 points for not removing the first sentence in that edit

conclusion: you are sentenced to one week of reading the comments on Nexus newsposts

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm sorry, I've just been in a terrible mode. I didn't mean to be a twat to anyone. I'll gently caress off for a few days at the least, maybe actually play the game instead of creating drama.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wow, didn't realize I'd wandered onto the Something Awful kindergarten playground.

e: The dude really wasn't that strongly worded. The fact that your feelings are so delicate that he managed to hurt them with that post speaks volumes towards you belonging on the Nexus more than him.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
So hey, just found a mod that handles texture detail improvement in a really novel way: He's tweaked the UV maps of a bunch of environment meshes to use more of the texture area, instead of just trying to sharpen the same small zoomed-in area of the texture. One of the beautiful things is it works with any texture replacement you like, though some might look a bit better than others as far as pattern repetition or seams, and whether you care if graphics look better from a distance or close up. No performance impact that I could detect either.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/74324/

Images might help explain it better

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Oh hey, a stone shack that wasn't assembled by giants :v:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Thank you for this wonderful change in subject matter.

I really need to get my hands on that mod.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Saint Sputnik posted:

So hey, just found a mod that handles texture detail improvement in a really novel way: He's tweaked the UV maps of a bunch of environment meshes to use more of the texture area, instead of just trying to sharpen the same small zoomed-in area of the texture. One of the beautiful things is it works with any texture replacement you like, though some might look a bit better than others as far as pattern repetition or seams, and whether you care if graphics look better from a distance or close up. No performance impact that I could detect either.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/74324/

Images might help explain it better

That looks pretty sweet. Was always frustrating to download 13gig of textures and they look like blurry poo poo. Does LOD pop-in become more noticeable though?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm curious if he teamed up with the. SMIM modder to use his improved meshes where possible.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Is there a modding thread for Fallout 4? Got it in the summer sale and already played through it once on PS4 last year so wanted to try it on PC with mods. I Looked around but couldn't find a modding thread.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Foxhound posted:

Is there a modding thread for Fallout 4? Got it in the summer sale and already played through it once on PS4 last year so wanted to try it on PC with mods. I Looked around but couldn't find a modding thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779393

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Guess I'm just blind. Thanks!

Dancer
May 23, 2011

hampig posted:

Probably because Complete Crafting Overhaul is an amazing mod that has a lot of cleanup in it as well as improvements, so it probably relies on cleaned up CCO tags in order to change some of the rarities to fit with the whole scarcity theme it has going. CCO might as well be called "Unofficial Skyrim crafting patch".

So as a result of this post I, being a total newbie, decided I want to install CCO. Unfortunately, the nexus page for it explicitly says you need to make a bashed patch which I don't know how to do. My impression from reading certain things was that bashed patches were outdated. Am I right? Does this mean I can just install the mod and play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
If you only have CCO (use this version by Kryptokyr if you aren't already: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49791/ ), a bashed patch should be unnecessary. If you're using it and Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade and Clothing and Clutter Fixes and all, though, it's probably a good idea. How to make one is really easy once you get the hang of it: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1840/ Grab either the installer or stand-alone, both work well enough. In MO (please be using MO, it's literally the best thing ever), add a shortcut to run Wrye Bash, it should be Wrye Bash.exe under the Mopy subdirectory. Under Mopy\templates\Skyrim there should be a Bashed Patch, Skyrim.esp that's, like, 0 or 1KB. Copy that to your Data directory or to MO's Overwrite directory or something, it will end up in Overwrite anyway, so might as well put it there to begin with. Fire up Wrye Bash. At the bottom of your load order should be the Bashed Patch, just right-click on it, rebuild, there might be a pop-up about disabling some ESPs for merging, skip that. Check the leveled lists box, it should have a buncha poo poo automatically filled in for your leveled list order because automatic is checked. Build, and there ya go.

• Locked thread