Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hellraiser doesn't really take place in suburbia at all.

That said, I'd take it over Blue Velvet any day of the week. Frank Cotton > Frank Booth

Frank Booth is honestly more scary than any of the characters in Hellraiser, at least with Pinhead you can negotiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Frank Booth is honestly more scary than any of the characters in Hellraiser, at least with Pinhead you can negotiate.

Frank Booth may sexually assault you but at least he doesn't do it wearing your dad as a skinsuit

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hellraiser doesn't really take place in suburbia at all.

That said, I'd take it over Blue Velvet any day of the week. Frank Cotton > Frank Booth

Lefty Enright > Frank Cotton > Frank Booth

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Frank Booth may sexually assault you but at least he doesn't do it wearing your dad as a skinsuit

I wouldn't put it past him.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Booth is great but Cotton literally unlocks hell in the name of getting a better nut. Booth's crazy and out of control, whereas Cotton knows EXACTLY what he's doing and is cool with it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Franks surprise appearance in Hellraiser 2 was great. I didn't see that coming the first time I watched it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I want a Pig Blood Blues adaptation so bad

come to think of it are there any horror movies with monster pigs besides Hannibal

Have not seen it, but there's a South Korean movie called "Chawz" on Shudder that is apparently about a monster boar.

And Trick 'r Treat is certainly the best recent horror anthology for my money, but it still doesn't come close to Creepshow. The first two VHS were okay, the third one was terrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was happy to see that the great costume and production design on display in Trick R Treat was also present in Krampus. Dougherty is very high on my list of horror directors to watch in the future.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I always liked the Tales from the Darkside movie. It had so many young stars in it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I saw Lights Out last night. It was pretty bad. There really wasn't any tension, dread, or horror that wasn't based around jump scares or the anticipation of a jump scare. If you watch the original short you pretty much get the "scary" parts, the rest is just filler.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Trick R Treat is one of those movies that's good but like, so perfunctory it's surprising to me anyone feels strongly affectionate about it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

Trick R Treat is one of those movies that's good but like, so perfunctory it's surprising to me anyone feels strongly affectionate about it.
It's just so fun and easily digestible. I watch it nearly every year.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I loved their skin ripping off werewolf transformation idea and execution; looks great

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Speaking of Hellraiser, it took me over a year to make it through Revelations, watching in 5-minutes bits before turning it off again, but the ending is GREAT. It's straight out of a 12 year old's grimdark fantasy and executed as amateurishly as a drawing on his notebook cover. Like, I'm really proud of the little guy who made it. I want to hang that movie on my refrigerator. Don't anything say anything bad about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

I suppose part of it is that if you're a fan of anthology horror anything good is like an oasis in the desert.

Perfunctory could maybe describe a few of the stories, but the way the bus driver, undead kids, and bully revenge stories fit together is really impressive. The movie looks great too, way more than a perfunctory effort was put into the production design. When the kids go down the elevator to the shore of the lake its like they stepped into Silent Hill.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Blisster posted:

Yeah it's based on that short. The same actress even shows up in a small role.

I guess the trailer is a bit spoilery but it certainly didn't ruin the movie for me. I mean the plot isn't really why I watch these movies anyway. The atmosphere is really great and they really do a lot of interesting stuff with the light aspect of the creature.

Cool, I mean lets be honest, the stories in horror movies aren't usually the best part and I am willing to see anything and usually end up seeing it all too. I liked the short, just when I saw the trailer thought it kinda showed the whole thing.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

*does "Raising the roof" motion at new thread title*

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I suppose part of it is that if you're a fan of anthology horror anything good is like an oasis in the desert.

Perfunctory could maybe describe a few of the stories, but the way the bus driver, undead kids, and bully revenge stories fit together is really impressive. The movie looks great too, way more than a perfunctory effort was put into the production design. When the kids go down the elevator to the shore of the lake its like they stepped into Silent Hill.

Perfunctory was a really bad word choice on my part. I suppose really it's more of a preference thing, part of what I really like about horror is you have stuff that often kinda has its reach exceed it's grasp in one way or another & to make up for it puts a lot of faith in the audience (even if that just comes in the form of silently agreeing that although this thing obviously is a puppet - it isn't a puppet). Which y'know, absolutely can backfire but is generally preferable to me than something like Trick R Treat which is incredibly solid & sturdy but doesn't really ask me to give a poo poo.
Or not, I dunno may be BS but there's something about Trick R Treat that feels lacking 2 me.

Glamorama26 posted:

*does "Raising the roof" motion at new thread title*

O hell yeah, thanks GonSmithe 4 working 2 return karmic equilibrium

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Perfunctory was a really bad word choice on my part. I suppose really it's more of a preference thing, part of what I really like about horror is you have stuff that often kinda has its reach exceed it's grasp in one way or another & to make up for it puts a lot of faith in the audience (even if that just comes in the form of silently agreeing that although this thing obviously is a puppet - it isn't a puppet). Which y'know, absolutely can backfire but is generally preferable to me than something like Trick R Treat which is incredibly solid & sturdy but doesn't really ask me to give a poo poo.
Or not, I dunno may be BS but there's something about Trick R Treat that feels lacking 2 me.

O hell yeah, thanks GonSmithe 4 working 2 return karmic equilibrium

You shush and help me raise this roof.

That being said, I understand what ya mean about Trick R Treat. I don't agree, but I understand.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

New Thread title is Great! It should say Your though.

What are some cold based Horror films. It's hot as hell here in Chicago.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Obvious answer is The Thing, but off the top of my head there's also Dead Snow, Ravenous, 30 Days of Night, Let the Right One In, The Shining, and early Cronenberg always looks like it's kind of cold due to being filmed in Canada. There's also Hammer's The Abominable Snowman and Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man has the monster frozen in a block of ice to start with.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Liberal Idiot is on top of it, but for specific cold Cronenberg, has to be The Brood.

That film is frigid.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Is Cronenberg ever going back to horror or has he sort of handed those reigns off to his son while he does dramas?

Anti-Viral was actually pretty decent.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is Cronenberg ever going back to horror or has he sort of handed those reigns off to his son while he does dramas?

Cronenberg strikes me as a dude who does whatever he wants. He's mentioned on commentaries about "feeling the story" and if he finds a horror story inside himself/that someone else wrote that he feels, he'll make that movie.

Purely as a huge fan, I'd love for him to take one last big swing at body horror, but only if he cares.

Cosmopolis was super good on an unrelated mote

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

I saw Lights Out last night. It was pretty bad. There really wasn't any tension, dread, or horror that wasn't based around jump scares or the anticipation of a jump scare. If you watch the original short you pretty much get the "scary" parts, the rest is just filler.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

Did you dislike it because its a mainstream film, you had high expectations going in, or you're just in a bad mood today?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Hollismason posted:

The Exorcist and The Sixth Sense aren't entirely cold, but the cold moments really sell the films.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hollismason posted:

Troma's schlocky Evil Dead II (1987) ripoff Frostbiter: Wrath of the Wendigo/Wendigo (1995) is worth a watch if schlocky, Troma-produced Evil Dead II ripoffs are your jam, and it's available for free from Troma's invaluable youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3NWCPO82U

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

drat it they removed Dario Argento's Opera off of Shudder :( So mad that was what I wanted to watch. I'lll just watch The Thing

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Liberal Idiot posted:

Obvious answer is The Thing, but off the top of my head there's also Dead Snow, Ravenous, 30 Days of Night, Let the Right One In, The Shining, and early Cronenberg always looks like it's kind of cold due to being filmed in Canada. There's also Hammer's The Abominable Snowman and Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man has the monster frozen in a block of ice to start with.

Another excellent (and I mean one of my favorites) choice is The Grey starring Liam Neeson.

Believe it or not, The Grey is possibly the greatest eco-horror film in the last 10 years.

If you look at it any other way than vicious wolves picking off people one by one, you are thinking too hard.

They Grey to me is a synthesis of two movies: 1993's Alive and 2010's Frozen (not the cartoon released in 2013).

If you want to watch intense, balls frozen to your thigh horror, killer wolves run amok, then you want to watch The Grey.

Stay tuned for the last scene that comes right after the credits stop rolling.

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 23, 2016

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Hollismason posted:

drat it they removed Dario Argento's Opera off of Shudder :( So mad that was what I wanted to watch. I'lll just watch The Thing

Opera is so good. Argento went to poo poo fighting at least.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

OldTennisCourt posted:

Both A History of Violence and Eastern Promises are Cronenberg's best two films and they are both crime dramas.

The Fly is classic but I'll pass on the rest of his horror entries because they're largely all arthouse.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Liberal Idiot posted:

Frozen, Devil's Pass, and Ginger Snaps Back - though I've only seen the last.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

ObamaPhone posted:

Another excellent (and I mean one of my favorites) choice is The Grey starring Liam Neeson.

Believe it or not, The Grey is possibly the greatest eco-horror film in the last 10 years.

If you look at it any other than vicious wolves picking off people one by one, you are thinking too hard.

They Grey to me is a synthesis of two movies: 1993's Alive and 2010's Frozen (not the cartoon released in 2013).

If you want to watch intense, balls frozen to your thigh horror, killer wolves run amok, then you want to watch The Grey.

Stay tuned for the last scene that comes right after the credits stop rolling.

It's a straight up horror film and a lot of it has to do with fears related to aging. One day I'll do a movie of the month for it.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It's a straight up horror film and a lot of it has to do with fears related to aging. One day I'll do a movie of the month for it.

The Grey's wiki also talks about it "being marketed toward Christians" for its spiritual values.

Without revealing any spoilers, I find this funny in a cynical way.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ObamaPhone posted:

Both A History of Violence and Eastern Promises are Cronenberg's best two films and they are both crime dramas.

The Fly is classic but I'll pass on the rest of his horror entries because they're largely all arthouse.

Do you actually like any horror movies? Because you are like the antithesis of a horror fan. Your posts are like art.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ramadu posted:

Do you actually like any horror movies? Because you are like the antithesis of a horror fan. Your posts are like art.

ObamaPhone's made some good posts, but i don't like the rest of them, they're largely all arthouse

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Ramadu posted:

Here's my entire list of favorite horror movies, sorted chronologically by decade, starting with the 1970's and stopping with the 2010's:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/AJRZ98VIOES0U/ref=pdp_new?tag=viglink22035-20

Unfortunately, Amazon decided to remove Listmania and "So You'd like to..." Guides as of 2014, so that's where I had to stop.

You will see other lists, but only look at the ones with "Best Horror Movies" in the title.

Nowadays, I go back as far as old school Vincent Price in the 50's and 60's, but it's a chore.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ObamaPhone posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

Did you dislike it because its a mainstream film, you had high expectations going in, or you're just in a bad mood today?

None of the above, I already listed the reasons I disliked it.

Also the new thread title is awesome

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

None of the above, I already listed the reasons I disliked it.

Also the new thread title is awesome

I prefer my proposed Underwear Horror title better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We were talking found footage horror movies a few pages back, and I completely forgot one of the best: Series 7: The Contenders.