Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I recently picked up Battlestar Galactica and I was curious which of the expansions is considered worth getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Play the base game a few times first, but Pegasus and Daybreak are both good.

Don't buy Exodus.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Kruller posted:

I recently picked up Battlestar Galactica and I was curious which of the expansions is considered worth getting.

Play it until your sick of it, then buy the 1st expansion, repeat. Each one adds stuff and fucks up other stuff, but it's a fun ride. If you like it enough to keep you'll devise an "optimal play set" for your group.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
BSG is great, and Pegasus is worth it for sure, but just make sure you completely ignore the New Caprica part. It's very slow, kills all the tension, and is biased heavily towards the Cylons in a game that is already in their favor. Some of my friends and I played it once, and it was unanimously decided to never do New Caprica again.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Some Numbers posted:

Play the base game a few times first, but Pegasus and Daybreak are both good.

Don't buy Exodus.
Exodus is weird because it swings the game balance heavily in favor of the Cylons (specifically the Cylon Fleet board - hardly anyone plays with the rest of the expansion).

However, without it, being a revealed Cylon is boring as hell, and you generally have little agency in whether you win.

I'm really mixed in it. I like the Cylon Fleet board in theory, but I feel like it was poorly balanced.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kruller posted:

Initially I thought Pegasus, at least, was a must-buy. At this point I feel like the base game is as good as it gets. The expansions all take away as much as they add, and should be ignored unless you have played so much that you need to mix things up.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

WhiteHowler posted:

Exodus is weird because it swings the game balance heavily in favor of the Cylons (specifically the Cylon Fleet board - hardly anyone plays with the rest of the expansion).

However, without it, being a revealed Cylon is boring as hell, and you generally have little agency in whether you win.

I'm really mixed in it. I like the Cylon Fleet board in theory, but I feel like it was poorly balanced.

BSG is a beautiful dumpster fire of a game.

The balance is horrible, half of the expansion content is total poo poo, and it takes way too long to play. But there hasn't been anything that does traitor gameplay better.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
BSG desperately needs a second edition to clean up all the issues.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crackbone posted:

BSG is a beautiful dumpster fire of a game.

The balance is horrible, half of the expansion content is total poo poo, and it takes way too long to play. But there hasn't been anything that does traitor gameplay better.

My opinion exactly. I never turn down a game but they all end with me saying "I hate this loving game!"

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
They've adapted Cosmic Encounter into a Game of Thrones game called The Iron Throne. You put crowns on characters instead of ships on planets. Who wanted this?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/22/the-iron-throne/

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Does Fantasy Flight no longer have the GoT license? They don't want to pay more licensing fees than they have to but you'd think a Game of Thrones themed Cosmic Encounter would be an easier sell.

I'm dumb and can't read, it is GoT themed.

Anyway nobody asked for it but it says Game of Thrones and will probably be on Target shelves so it'll sell enough to justify its existence.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 22, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That looks even worse than the GoT Trivia game they put out. The fact that they used screenshots instead of the fantastic artwork they already have from the 2 LCGs is even more mind boggling :psyduck:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

That looks even worse than the GoT Trivia game they put out. The fact that they used screenshots instead of the fantastic artwork they already have from the 2 LCGs is even more mind boggling :psyduck:

Fantastic artwork aside (which it is, I agree, as an LCG player)- you can't POSSIBLY really be that confused as to why a publisher would make this decision, right?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

They want to sell the game therefore they put the stuff people know on it. It's not mind boggling.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
God drat you FFG just sack up and make my Forbidden Stars race expansions.

and yes I know about that Reddit thread and yes I know they've probably already abandoned it but God damnit

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The Mantis posted:

God drat you FFG just sack up and make my Forbidden Stars race expansions.

and yes I know about that Reddit thread and yes I know they've probably already abandoned it but God damnit

They'll get on it as soon as they're done printing Skaven for Diskwars.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tevery Best posted:

They'll get on it as soon as they're done printing Skaven for Diskwars.

don't toy with us

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

StashAugustine posted:

don't toy with us

It's true, Lichtenstein's uncle works at FFG and he told me

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Acolyte! posted:

They've adapted Cosmic Encounter into a Game of Thrones game called The Iron Throne. You put crowns on characters instead of ships on planets. Who wanted this?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/22/the-iron-throne/

The kind of person who still enjoys Cosmic Encounters is exactly who will play this GoT version. CE is a poo poo game which is theme over substance, and I'm sure this will be the exact same thing.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is there a good way to meet up with other people in my area (Portland) for board games? My wife and I are really enjoying them but we're kind of limited in what we can play with 2 players..not to mention I personally would like to play games with more strategy involved. We're playing things like Artifacts Inc., Hive, Patchwork, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kirios posted:

Is there a good way to meet up with other people in my area (Portland) for board games? My wife and I are really enjoying them but we're kind of limited in what we can play with 2 players..not to mention I personally would like to play games with more strategy involved. We're playing things like Artifacts Inc., Hive, Patchwork, etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=por...chrome&ie=UTF-8

First two links look good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kirios posted:

Given there are multiple Portlands on both coasts you may want to be more specific. However, you can start looking here.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Kirios posted:

Assuming you are in Oregon, My Father's Place on Monday and Wednesday nights may be a good starting point. Saturday nights at Portland Game Store are also good, though you may be closer to other FLGS with their own game nights.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

pbpancho posted:

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35046/asmodee-acquiring-f2z-entertainment

X-wing, Catan, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne. All under one roof.

While I'm a little scared of the rapid Tetsuo-ing of Asmodee (for industry reasons, not consumer reasons), I can't exactly feel bad about this. F2Z/Filosofia have thusfar made a complete hash of ZMAN and its properties. They managed to alienate partners like Czech Games Edition, they lost Agricola in the Lookout Games/Mayfair merger, they kinda hosed up the Pandemic relaunch, they made a mess of Tragedy Looper, and their customer service took a year to respond to a damaged components inquiry for me. (My copy of Carc came with a couple damaged meeples.)

If it weren't for the huge cashcows of Pandemic and Carcassonne, I think the company would be floating in a drainage ditch by now. Hopefully the Asmodee buyout will smooth out their management issues.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 23, 2016

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey Cool People, someone is coming out with a pretty nifty and well priced set of historical themed metal coins: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1260256740/swords-and-sails-coins-realistic-byzantine-coins-f . They're zinc, so I don't expect them to be of great quality, but I like the looks.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
We're two weeks out from GenCon and I still haven't heard any buzz about what new games are worth checking out. Anything of note aside from the new picture Codenames you guys are looking forward to?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Bugger. It has been confirmed that FFG no longer have the 40k licence so there will be no forbidden stars expansion despite the designer having started work on a Tyranids, Necrons and Tau expansion

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I was hyped by the earlier Clinic chat and was disappointed that the game was out of stock, but I guess Alban found some extra copies in his basement so I grabbed a copy and there are three left still. http://avstudiogames.com/en/clinic/12-clinic.html Also some copies of Small City if you're into that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Bugger. It has been confirmed that FFG no longer have the 40k licence so there will be no forbidden stars expansion despite the designer having started work on a Tyranids, Necrons and Tau expansion

Wait gently caress does that mean Conquest is dead?

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

StashAugustine posted:

Probably speculation at this point but I read someone mention that the 40k license discontinuation for FFG was only for board games, so hopefully Conquest should remain.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I heard that rumor from a play tester for Conquest online. I guess they play test a long ways out and they haven't had anything to test except what has been announced to release this year. Of course this is all internet information so have to take it with a huge grain of salt, but it seems believable given what's happening to FS.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kirios posted:

Jennifer Geiske is very active in the Portland OR area, see if you can hook up with her on Facebook. Just today my friend Lorna is having a Eugene Games Day in Eugene, you'll have a great time there. Here's the Facebook reference https://www.facebook.com/EGG-Game-Day-133131323388575/?fref=nf

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It makes sense, they're coming out with the Lot5R LCG and that Arkham card game (which may also be an LCG). Everyone assumed LotR would die since it's so old but 40k dying due to license fuckery just makes sense. Goddamnit, Games Workshop. I don't play Conquest but I know it's a very highly regarded game.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mojo Jojo posted:

Confirmed where? I don't see any news about it with a Google search, and while there's someone posting on the FFG forums that says they "know" they're losing the license, that person is a) not a FFG employee and b) has not provided any actual evidence to support their claim, just pointed to the general lack of news on Warhammer products from FFG lately that fueled the speculation in the first place. So, I mean, I'm not saying it's definitely not true, but that doesn't say "confirmed" to me unless you have a more reliable source.

If it is, GW is making a real dumb decision, but since when is that new?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

malkav11 posted:

Confirmed where? I don't see any news about it with a Google search, and while there's someone posting on the FFG forums that says they "know" they're losing the license, that person is a) not a FFG employee and b) has not provided any actual evidence to support their claim, just pointed to the general lack of news on Warhammer products from FFG lately that fueled the speculation in the first place. So, I mean, I'm not saying it's definitely not true, but that doesn't say "confirmed" to me unless you have a more reliable source.

If it is, GW is making a real dumb decision, but since when is that new?

The designer posted on reddit and there's apparently something on bgg

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Is this only the 40k license or does it also apply to Fantasy? I need more Warhammer Quest ACG in my life. Don't loving ruin Fantasy again, GW.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Mojo Jojo posted:

Curious, where was this confirmed?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Millions posted:

We're two weeks out from GenCon and I still haven't heard any buzz about what new games are worth checking out. Anything of note aside from the new picture Codenames you guys are looking forward to?

The Tragedy Looper: Cosmic Evil expansion is apparently coming out, according to some press releases from like May?

ZMAN doesn't seem to be promoting it too hard, though. No BGG page, no product page on their website.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

malkav11 posted:

GW is making a real dumb decision, but since when is that new?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

So this is a thing. Adult Codenames. Target disregarded Street dates.