Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Grakkus posted:

I played this game yesterday after not touching it since beta. It's actually pretty fun now, for an mmo. Our healer and a dps left in the level 15 adventure, and we finished it anyway by not standing in the fire. Then I did the level 20 dungeon and it was pretty fun too. Also leveling is pretty fast

I felt the same way when I tried it, by the time I hit 50, I was sick of every aspect of the game. I could barely do any of the max level content because my gear sucked. When I asked for help I was told just to queue for dungeons and hope the group will carry me. This game sucks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Elblanco posted:

I felt the same way when I tried it, by the time I hit 50, I was sick of every aspect of the game. I could barely do any of the max level content because my gear sucked. When I asked for help I was told just to queue for dungeons and hope the group will carry me. This game sucks rear end.

My advice would have been just buy the el cheapo pvp gear (Purchased with regular currency) and rune it properly. That'll get you to the 2kish dps mark which is about where the dps check cutoffs are. Though: Carries were nice. By the time I quit I could pump out about 6-7k and could carry two completely dead dps through provided the healer and tank weren't retarded. If the undergeared dps were good but ungeared it was just gravy as the extra whatever they brought would probably allow us to skip entire phases of fights.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

You can buy and place spikes wherever you want in the wow horde garrison. Pretty amazing.

They disappear when you log out though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

HoN survived because it was released before DotA 2 and it's whole selling point was being as close to DotA as possible but with all the benefits of being a standalone game and not a mod of a years-old RTS. When the other moba coming out, League, had a bunch of changes to the formula, HoN was very appealing to DotA purists.

Ironically, S2 has since sold off HoN and made a new moba that's even farther from DotA than League. It's doing hilariously awful, with development in NA seemingly dead as they try to hang on to their new Asian playerbase. They've since announced a sequel to Savage which has lost them whatever fans they had left.

Yeah I saw that, I really liked both Savage games but that thing is basically DoA and it's a shame. Also I assume the racist psycho is still running S2?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
On the off chance that anyone remembers her from the Wildstar official forums, I just encountered FranBunnyXII over on Overwatch so she somehow survived the two deaths of Wildstar.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Verranicus posted:

On the off chance that anyone remembers her from the Wildstar official forums, I just encountered FranBunnyXII over on Overwatch so she somehow survived the two deaths of Wildstar.

Is she any good

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Anoia posted:

Is she any good

Not the worst D'va player I've seen, but after I told her I used to laugh at her insane rambling on the forums and asked if she actually changed her name like she said she did she got personal and started trying to hunt me down, but we ended up winning anyway.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Outstanding.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I tried to give WIldstar another shot when it went F2P but the game is just so visually noisy I couldn't make it past the 2nd zone. It gave me headaches and trying to figure out where to go and what to do felt like a chore, and like others have said I couldn't relax for a drat minute.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Verranicus posted:

Not the worst D'va player I've seen, but after I told her I used to laugh at her insane rambling on the forums and asked if she actually changed her name like she said she did she got personal and started trying to hunt me down, but we ended up winning anyway.

She is legit crazy and has a long history of doing this type of thing. You really dont want to try to engage with her on any level, its far better to just sit back and watch the poo poo hit the fan. The fact that she actually used to be worse than she is now is pretty disconcerting.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

CoffeeBooze posted:

She is legit crazy and has a long history of doing this type of thing. You really dont want to try to engage with her on any level, its far better to just sit back and watch the poo poo hit the fan. The fact that she actually used to be worse than she is now is pretty disconcerting.

Oh I know, I remember her threads. I was just amazed at the coincidence of ending up in an Overwatch match with her and had fun poking the bear. Not like I tried to be her friend after or anything.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah some guy in Wildstar succesfully recreated the ship from firefly on his plot, another person made a star wars walker, and so on.

Looking at people's really elaborate housing plots was the best part of playing Wildstar once I hit 50 and instantly burned out on dailies. I just made some alts for more housing plots, then ran those little housing dungeons for more decorations :v:

One of my characters just had a bar cabinet scaled up to gigantic size I built ramps onto and rooms into the shelves. People tended to get a kick out of that, I guess.

I do miss housing. Tempted to reinstall to check out some plots again.

Edit: Haha, googled 'wildstar housing bar cabinet' and one of the pictures google shows on the first page is an in-progress shot of my old live-in cabinet.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 22, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

There's still too much of a limit on objects you can place to make really wacky poo poo, but drat if people don't find creative ways around that.

They should really just scrap everything else and make it all about housing at this point, it's the the only worthwhile thing in the game.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anoia posted:

There's still too much of a limit on objects you can place to make really wacky poo poo, but drat if people don't find creative ways around that.

They should really just scrap everything else and make it all about housing at this point, it's the the only worthwhile thing in the game.

Yeah make it an ad-supported chat interface, with housing. Well, or scrap ads for cosmetic items.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Psykmoe posted:

Looking at people's really elaborate housing plots was the best part of playing Wildstar once I hit 50 and instantly burned out on dailies. I just made some alts for more housing plots, then ran those little housing dungeons for more decorations :v:

One of my characters just had a bar cabinet scaled up to gigantic size I built ramps onto and rooms into the shelves. People tended to get a kick out of that, I guess.

I do miss housing. Tempted to reinstall to check out some plots again.

Edit: Haha, googled 'wildstar housing bar cabinet' and one of the pictures google shows on the first page is an in-progress shot of my old live-in cabinet.

I built some of the furniture for your bar cabinet :v:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Wildstar's housing is still super great and I really wish I was interested enough in the rest of the game to play around with it more

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I would nothing more than for Wildstar to become stupid popular as an Animal Crossing in Space MMO. Besides the gnashing and wailing of the diehard fans seeing their precious HARDCORE flop turn into a symbol of casual play, I'd probably be tempted to reinstall if the gameplay was just "explore a planet for new furniture for your space house."

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

I would nothing more than for Wildstar to become stupid popular as an Animal Crossing in Space MMO. Besides the gnashing and wailing of the diehard fans seeing their precious HARDCORE flop turn into a symbol of casual play, I'd probably be tempted to reinstall if the gameplay was just "explore a planet for new furniture for your space house."

Take out all combat, make it so finding new furniture involves trawling around intergalactic swap meets.

Or "explore mysterious Eldan ruins, find kickass new couch." Just make it completely ridiculous, but in the fun way. Right now it's a ridiculous in a "I've gotta do what with all these rune slots?" way.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I know at one point there was some talk that housing lots would be able to be combined into a larger shared 'neighborhood' kind of thing, with a central housing lot that all the people who's housing lots were part of that group could collaborate on customizing together

did that idea get trashed? because it sounded pretty awesome

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Storage Warplots.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

I know at one point there was some talk that housing lots would be able to be combined into a larger shared 'neighborhood' kind of thing, with a central housing lot that all the people who's housing lots were part of that group could collaborate on customizing together

When most of your dev team gets canned aspirations like that get canned as well. Currently they are pushing to get the last raid out then it's maint mode with holiday outfits forever.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They were also never able to make the one single house not run like poo poo

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

The terrible secret behind those amazing screenshots.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I always wondered why the preferred format for tours was imgur albums rather than a Youtube video. That explains it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

This is entirely on the various developers but I stopped buying AMD because I got tired of little "My system should be able to run this fine" hand grenades being dropped on my head from above. Which is a shame because back in the single core processor days I worshiped at the alter of AMD. But right now if it's not intel/nvidia I'm not buying it because at any given moment I can pick 3-4 games on my steam list that just run like poo poo under those platforms despite me being well over spec.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

I always wondered why the preferred format for tours was imgur albums rather than a Youtube video. That explains it.

Even the few videos I saw made heavy use of cuts, I'm guessing to hide how the frame rate becomes a slide show.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Bieeardo posted:

Storage Warplots.

HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN THEM?!

Verranicus posted:

I tried to give WIldstar another shot when it went F2P but the game is just so visually noisy I couldn't make it past the 2nd zone. It gave me headaches and trying to figure out where to go and what to do felt like a chore, and like others have said I couldn't relax for a drat minute.

At one point, there was a pretty handy addon that drew a ball of yarn on the ground (i.e. pointed to all the quests available in the zone/vacinity/astral unit); It didn't make anything less confusing, but it did lead you to interesting places- and occasionally off a cliff.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 24, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

Dark Age of Camelot did instanced neighborhoods back in the day. Could have vendors and stuff outside your house so there was a reason to visit neighborhoods too. That game had tons of cool features.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Black Desert Online does it in a cool way. All the plots exist in the world and 100+ people can live on the same plot, but you choose who's stuff you see when you walk through the door. It's totally seamless, instant and without load screens. You can even look out the windows and see the actual world.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Black Desert Online does it in a cool way. All the plots exist in the world and 100+ people can live on the same plot, but you choose who's stuff you see when you walk through the door. It's totally seamless, instant and without load screens. You can even look out the windows and see the actual world.

that is very clever, I like. Been thinking about checking it out, but the animu faces on the shop page didn't really convince me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
See if you can get your hands on a 7-day guest pass or something. I got mine in a giveaway of some kind. Everyone who buys the game gets a 7 day guest pass to give out so its just a matter of tracking one down. Game has some cool ideas but I ain't payin money for it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Unfortunately you'd be playing BDO, and if you thought Wildstar had a lovely sensory overload ui

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
yeah i cant really recommend it. It does some really cool stuff with housing and mounts and the combat approaches brilliance due to the fact that your weapon has to physically contact with an enemy in order to do damage so you can actually dodge things. unfortunately everything else kinda sucks

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

yeah i cant really recommend it. It does some really cool stuff with housing and mounts and the combat approaches brilliance due to the fact that your weapon has to physically contact with an enemy in order to do damage so you can actually dodge things. unfortunately everything else kinda sucks

the pve in general is lackluster, and pretty princess dress up options are pretty non existent unless you throw money at them.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

The new site's error pages are fantastic.

Blizzard updated the official WoW site and it seems they remembered Cyster.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

I'm okay with the events that are unfolding currently.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Blizzard is the best company.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Bizarrely, Overwatch is completely free of any pop culture references. There's a dude who looks like cyborg ninja from MGS that never quotes MGS, a chick that looks like Samus without an alternate costume resembling Samus. Pretty sure the only one I saw was an older character saying "Get off my lawn" kinda like in Gran Torino, but that's a pretty generic quote.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
There's lot of references in the voice lines and dialogue between characters, and the ones in the levels are mostly to their own games, like the Siege Tank game that looks like a Metal Slug clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Bizarrely, Overwatch is completely free of any pop culture references. There's a dude who looks like cyborg ninja from MGS that never quotes MGS, a chick that looks like Samus without an alternate costume resembling Samus. Pretty sure the only one I saw was an older character saying "Get off my lawn" kinda like in Gran Torino, but that's a pretty generic quote.

One of pharah's skins is a gundam, though.

• Locked thread