Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Supergirl Rebirth #1 and regular #1 unlettered art previews
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/supergirl-rebirth-1-dc-comics-2016
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/supergirl-1-dc-comics-2016

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
If you guys had to pick which series would you buy: All-Star Squadron (80s), Suicide Squad(80s), or Aquaman(90s).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Squad.

I'll bump my BOGO sale question from the previous page:
Morrison/Millar Swamp Thing? Patrick Gleason era Aquaman?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr Hootington posted:

If you guys had to pick which series would you buy: All-Star Squadron (80s), Suicide Squad(80s), or Aquaman(90s).

Suicide Squad easy

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003

This art, ugh. Hit and miss from panel to panel. And honestly I can't even put my finger on why.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm probably not gonna read Supergirl Rebirth but that byline in the ads for this week's comics is so enticing I'm gonna need a trip report off that series specifically.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Squad.

i read 2 issues of sub diego storyline back in the day and it was interesting. that is the best i can do

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

I'm probably not gonna read Supergirl Rebirth but that byline in the ads for this week's comics is so enticing I'm gonna need a trip report off that series specifically.

I'm sure gonna read Steve Midnighter Orlando's new comic. Cyborg Superman's being her dad isn't a new thing, but if they have to live together as a weird family, that could be fun.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

BOGO question here too: 80s Green Lantern & Corps? I could nab a fat omni's worth of issues for less than $40, and reviews seem positive overall from trade to trade (especially regarding the talents of Gibbons and Englehart).

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I liked Hellblazer, including the art when the colouring isn't intruding on it too hard. The backgrounds and background characters are really charming to me.

How was Morrison and Millar's run on Swamp Thing?

I thought Hellblazer was pretty good too. I didn't like Wonder Woman or Shazam turning up but for the most part it was a pretty good Rebirth issue and I'd want to read more.

Morrison and Millar's run on Swamp Thing is good. The first story (Bad Gumbo) is not so great but the rest is good and it gets better and better and the final Trial by Fire storyline is fantastic and feels a lot like the last part of Alan Moore's Miracleman.

It's best read after reading Moore and then Rick Veitch's runs because it follows up on both of those runs really well and works as a great finale to the character. I'd say only Moore and the New 52 Swamp Thing runs are better than Millar's.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Teaser for Justice League Action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_rM3rAJsTY

Swamp Thing's return to animation!
DC does something with Plastic Man in TYOOL 2016!

Give me Booster Gold.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I want to enjoy Green Lanterns because I like Baz, if only because he seems to be the only creative lantern around these days (I mean twice now he's been able to do miracle stuff that the ring shouldn't be able to do using his lack of training and the non-logic of "it's a magic ring why shouldn't i be able to do this?")

Jessica is a albatross dragging the story down though, which is too bad, because I really thought she had a nice story arc in Justice League, but it seems like in GL she's just gonna be the worst and complain about how she's the worst.

I want to like Green Lanterns. Please, Green Lanterns, just be a good book.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Green Lanterns is a perfect metaphor for itself. It's got the potential to do good, there's an enjoyable story there, but Sam Humphries has no confidence in himself or the artists he works with. So every page becomes a slog of first person narrative captions spelling out exactly what is happening and why, despite a story you can understand with a simple glance at the action and a cursory knowledge of the characters. I don't wanna say it's bad, because Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz becoming more than what they and others see in themselves is something I'm rooting for and a story I want to see told. But the creative team on this book absolutely sucks at telling it, which is super painful.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

This doesn't look terrible???? Weird.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Squad.

For me Swamp Thing ended with the Return of the Good Gumbo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Detective No. 27 posted:

Teaser for Justice League Action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_rM3rAJsTY

Swamp Thing's return to animation!
DC does something with Plastic Man in TYOOL 2016!

Give me Booster Gold.

This rules

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
good lord in heaven, Garth Ennis is writing a Dick Dastardly comic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Semper Fudge posted:

Prediction: His real name will be revealed to be Bob Smith, and Dick Dastardly is a nickname he picked up in college.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"it's a magic ring, I shouldn't be able to do that" has been around for a long time which is why I'm not very impressed with Baz doing it.

My favorite story involving it was a JLI one where Ice temporarily took control of Guy's ring when he was knocked out during a battle against Dr. Ivo. Ivo was attempting to commit suicide-by-superpower due to his immortality serum making him immortal but in constant pain and disfigurement. Ice genuinely wholeheartedly wished to fix him and it worked and Guy was like "What? No! It doesn't work that way!" the entire time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really hope this is one of the 99/100 times they're wrong, but Bleeding Cool is reporting that someone at DC told them that they're killing off Tim Drake soon. So of course at the moment when I feel that they're finally turning around they are going to kill off my favorite DC character. Goddammit please be wrong.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

X-O posted:

I really hope this is one of the 99/100 times they're wrong, but Bleeding Cool is reporting that someone at DC told them that they're killing off Tim Drake soon. So of course at the moment when I feel that they're finally turning around they are going to kill off my favorite DC character. Goddammit please be wrong.

Calling it now. It'll be Clayface pretending to be Tim Drake.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Semper Fudge posted:

Is it going to be an offshoot of the Wacky Raceland comic?

WickedHate posted:

Prediction: His real name will be revealed to be Bob Smith, and Dick Dastardly is a nickname he picked up in college.

In Wacky Raceland it's actually shown as "Richard d'Astardlien".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Semper Fudge posted:

Holy poo poo. Wacky Raceland is the only HB without a 'name' writer to a degree. Maybe they were holding it for him.

X-O posted:

killing off Tim Drake soon.

And he'll be the Robin where that finally sticks.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 22, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

Tim Drake has been dead for nearly a decade.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Joelle Jones (Ladykiller, American Alien #3) is now a DC exclusive artist http://www.newsarama.com/30279-dc-comics-announces-another-exclusive-creator.html

also, Ahhh!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07...iego-comic-con/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 22, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

"it's a magic ring, I shouldn't be able to do that" has been around for a long time which is why I'm not very impressed with Baz doing it

That's true, but it's been a while since someone did it, so it makes me appreciate it. I mean, Kyle's supposed to be the imaginative Lantern and he went all god mode White Lantern and he still did mostly just constructs. ...and then he got kidnapped by space terrorists.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's the girl green lanterns deal? I don't read that book, buy in justice league she said "It's too bad i can't make constructs" or something. If that's the case, what even is her power?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

greatn posted:

What's the girl green lanterns deal? I don't read that book, buy in justice league she said "It's too bad i can't make constructs" or something. If that's the case, what even is her power?

She can still fly and shoot lasers and poo poo, she just can't make boxing gloves or airplanes or whatever yet because she's been a GL for like a week and has anxiety.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

X-O posted:

Isn't Batman Beyond Tim Drake? Let's try to be optimistic here. :)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dario the Wop posted:

Isn't Batman Beyond Tim Drake? Let's try to be optimistic here. :)

Nope, it's Terry again.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

If they're gonna do that, I hope they go full Ultimatum and have Killer Croc eating him while going "Red Robin! Yum!"

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Tim is my favourite Robin but DC never figured out a satisfying way to evolve his character past the Robin role once Damian came into the scene so he's been stuck in limbo as this weird half-Robin for years.

They needed to either grow him to be an independent character in his own right, or remove him from the universe. They're taking the easy road.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
They'll need to replace him with someone on Detective, the team would be a bit light with only 4 people. Maybe that'll be Bluebird's cue to come back?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Introducing the new Robin you thought was impossible! You won't believe your eyes! It's Joe Chill!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I unironically hope Jason's the one who kills Tim. Remove Tim and finally push Jason into the full villain he wants to be instead of this "Murderer but occasionally isn't a complete rear end in a top hat" Anti-hero shtick he's been stuck in.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Tim is one of the worst parts about the current Teen Titans series, but I'm really liking him in Detective Comics so far.

I think he's still in Batman Beyond, which might be what it's about.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Red Hood as an anti-hero Punisher type can work, it just needs better than Lobdell.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I have a young cousin who's really into TMNT, this seems absolutely perfect.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

WickedHate posted:

Red Hood as an anti-hero Punisher type can work, it just needs better than Lobdell.

I don't think it can though. Punisher you can at least pretend is in his own little world unless otherwise stated. His history is his own and his origin is wholly self contained.

Jason Todd was Robin. He's still working in Batman's hometown at least partially. The entirety of the Bat-Family knows him personally and He's straight up murdering a lot of people. There's no reason for him to not have been hunted down by Bruce, Dick, Tim or really anyone one associated with them even to try and talk it out with him. The new 52 reboot made it make even less sense since all that history between his resurrection and Red Hood run was erased.

A Punisher in Gotham style character could work, but it's gotta be someone not associated with the Bat Family. Deadshot or Deathstroke or even some rear end in a top hat like Riddler who turns against the other villains in the city, but not someone Batman has personally raised and trained.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I mean, wasn't Batman confronting that basically the plot of Under the Hood? I agree Batman shouldn't be super chipper about it, but he also hangs around Wonder Woman and Katana, and in my ideal hypothetical series Jason wouldn't go out of his way to maximize casualties every time.