Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I forget. How long was Bashir a prisoner? I remember he was wearing the older uniform during the reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
We should be getting All Access casting info from SDCC this weekend, right? Fuller tweeted a pic of the new (unupholstered) captain's chair a few days ago.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm hoping we get something. We have absolutely no info so far that isn't rumor.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I can't watch youtube at work but, yeah I have seen far worse from US media. The whole thing seems to be quite a blind spot. TNG isn't being offensive, its just being really clumsy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Baka-nin posted:

If the leader of the Army Council of the IRA was on television he would've been assassinated shortly after, your thinking of the spokespeople of Sinn Fein. The Oxygen of publicity law applied to all political groups deemed extreme in Northern Ireland, it was weird and pointless, and helped contribute to the continuation of violence since paramilitaries viewed it as a sign that the British government wasn't interested in negotiations. Which given that Thatcher once thought the Cromwell solution (mass ethnic cleansing) would being peace to the six counties, yeah they probably weren't.

I watched the episode again now TNG's back on Netflix and I'm impressed they tried to tackle terrorism, but its just abundantly clear that the writing team didn't really understand the subject at all. They also bungle the standard moral solution that TV trots out when trying to tackle violence. The ending has a kid refuse to shoot the officer of the police/army and that's portrayed as a positive step to ending the conflict, but the Enterprise crew have led the army into the rebels main base, got the leader killed, and he was running the whole show, so it looks like one side has triumphed through force of arms. So if we were to apply the message of the episode to Northern Ireland, we would learn that peace will come after the British Army decapitates the Republicans leadership and the survivors give up on a lost cause.

Which given how Trek usually deals with conflicts makes this episode a sort of anti Trek.

The original script was supposedly more along the lines of 'Picard realizes he's gravitating to supporting the oppressors' or something like that, but then got watered down by the producers who wanted a clear 'good guys beat up the bad guys' finish to the story.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The original script was supposedly more along the lines of 'Picard realizes he's gravitating to supporting the oppressors' or something like that, but then got watered down by the producers who wanted a clear 'good guys beat up the bad guys' finish to the story.

The story I read was that they were going for an episode revolving around the American revolution with Picard playing the Lafayette role, and something about the Romulans doing something shady in the background, which forces the crew to come down on one side or the other. The head terrorist does talk about him being like George Washington, despite him not being anything like George Washington, and it being a bit weird how he knows who George Washington was.

But then they decided to switch to an episode heavily about Northern Ireland.

Which is a shame if true, because that other idea sounds a lot more interesting.

Fake edit: checked memory alpha for the High Ground

quote:

Originally, the plot was intended to have parallels to the American Revolution, but writer Melinda Snodgrass was told to change the analogy to Northern Ireland, a change she was very unhappy about. "I wanted it with Picard as Cornwallis and the Romulans would have been the French, who were in our revolution, trying to break this planet away. Suddenly Picard realized he's one of the oppressors. Instead, we do 'Breakfast in Belfast,' where our people decide they're going to go off to Northern Ireland."

I nominate Breakfast in Belfast for the next thread's title.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We should be getting All Access casting info from SDCC this weekend, right? Fuller tweeted a pic of the new (unupholstered) captain's chair a few days ago.

I would presume we'll get something. They're planning to premiere in January so given the effects work they'll have to start shooting within the next month or so.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Screwed around with the CBS all access app last night because my DVR cut off the end of Weds Late Show. What a poo poo show.

I didn't have the last 15 minutes or so. So I fast forwarded approximately where I wanted. I had to sit though six commercials to get there. Whatever, I know Hulu also makes your sit though the commercials that would have aired before if you hadn't skipped ahead (though there would have been far fewer.) I realized that I went too far and had to rewind about 3 minutes. Surprise! The stream didn't remember that I had already watched my corporate mandated commercial allotment and started lobbing commercials my way again. I exited the app after the third one.

This is what we will have to deal with to watch the new show. I'm sorry. I'm not. Unless I can buy a season pass from Google Play and watch them a day after, I'm probably not going to watch it because I'm not paying to deal with this poo poo.

I'm sorry Bryan Fuller. You were the chosen one and I was (am) really excited for what you could do for the franchise. But gently caress CBS All Access. If that's the exclusive home for the series, it's dead to me.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Timby posted:

I'm willing to overlook some of the cringe-worthy parts of The Final Frontier (but there aren't many) considering David Loughery had less than a month to write the script.

I watched Final Frontier for the first time a few days ago and I figured there had to be some kind of drama about the writing. If they cut out all the crappy action sequences and the utterly pointless Klingons they could have had space to explore the emotional stuff more. Address that there is good pain that you need to hold on to because it defines us(what Kirk mentions) and bad pain that you need to let go of because we just beat ourselves up over it (McCoy) and then tie that into the fact that paradise is something we sell ourselves on to avoid dealing with our poo poo but it's the opposite of what we need and a child's fantasy. But no, we need a cat lady being thrown into water on planet Mad Max.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cenotaph posted:

I watched Final Frontier for the first time a few days ago and I figured there had to be some kind of drama about the writing.

Basically, Shatner, Bennett and Loughery had broken a second draft of the story and then the Writers Guild went on strike. Loughery had literally a month to actually write the script before the location shooting started in October of 1988 because they had to meet the June '89 release date. And, of course, right before filming started, the Teamsters went on strike, which made location shooting a massive in the rear end.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And then a location grip died of lung cancer smoking six cartons of Lucky Strikes into a rock monster suit for a sequence that didn't even get into the final cut!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Rhyno posted:

Just got back from Beyond, loved it. There is a scene towards the end that caught me off guard and I absolutely teared up. You'll all know what I'm talking about once you see it.

God yes. I teared up.

Gonz posted:

That whole scene was very touching and kicked me right in the nuts.

That said, the movie owned. Owned owned owned. The Yorktown was one of the best settings in any sci-fi movie, period, and the JJ-prise swarm destruction sequence was fantasically shot. The cinematography as a whole was amazing, too. Justin Lin knows how to do action. Definitely go see it this weekend, Star Trek goons. In 3D if you can. Tight storytelling, a lot of humor sprinkled in there, and fan service galore from drat near every iteration of the old movies and old TV series.

It didn't really have the galactic or planetary scale of the last two, but I don't feel that it hurt the overall story.

You've done well, Simon Pegg & Co. You've very done well, indeed.

They really made the JJerprise look quite good and finally seem to have found the angles that suit her. That being said, I'm also disappointed that the -A doesn't look a bit more different. Overall though the pacing was fantastic, the fanservice was pretty subtle and not at all hamfisted like it has been at various points in the other movies, the score was great, the characterization was far better than we've gotten in the previous movies. Yorktown looks amazing and it's the first time in a long time when I felt actually impressed with Star Trek depicting the Federation as truly being something grand and epic, on the scale of civilizations. My only big complaint is that Idris Elba probably should have been fleshed out more, and they probably should have not waited quite so long for the reveal about who he is.

And the scenes with Sulu's family were a great addition and thank gently caress it's finally been done after 50 years of Star Trek, but they still felt a little tacked-on. Yes, as a gay audience member, during most of the discussion about how Krall was planning to attack Yorktown, I kept thinking "but that's where Sulu's hubby and kid are, don't hurt them :ohdear: , and that is powerful. As is the shot of Sulu keeping his daughter's photo on the helm console and that totally-not-obvious-at-all light glinting off of his wedding band to make it noticeable. But couldn't they have found an actor for his husband to make it seem more convincing? Could they have at least had a peck on the cheek? Could he or their daughter at least been given a name (and her name better be Demora)?

Drone fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 22, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I have mixed feelings about the whole Sulu thing. On one hand, I think it's good that Star Trek finally has an openly gay character. It's honestly very surprising that they took this long. I guess it's just really telling how Berman-era Star Trek didn't have the ballsiness of shows prior and decided to play it safe to such an extreme it killed the franchise.

On the other hand, George Takei was opposed to it, so it isn't really honoring him when you go against his wishes. I was actually excited for it and wanted it until I heard George's take on it. But, on the other other hand, it's not like George Takei has "ownership" of the character of Sulu.

It's a little odd how the JJ characters are almost like... a strange mix of the TOS characters and the actors that portrayed them, most notably with Spock and Sulu. But it's also kind of understandable to a degree, because after all these years of Star Trek, it's sometimes a little vague where the fictional character ends and the real person begins.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm sure the new TV series will have at least one LGBT character considering Fuller is in charge.

I don't have a problem with the Sulu reveal thing...but I do agree with Takei that's it's unnecessary and would have been better suited for a new character. The problem is, 3 movies in it's hard to just throw in a new character like that and give them decent screen time. I mean Chekov has barely had anything to do in these films as it is (I haven't seen Beyond yet so I don't know if that is any different), so I don't see how they could put in another character and make it not feel tacked-on.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

They revealed the fact that Sulu was gay pretty recently, right? Right before the movies premier? They really could have saved a headache by talking the idea out with Takei early on rather than springing the idea and hoping he would be on board. I mean, I know it isn't his say and its not like he owns the character, but they very much seemed to be depending on a different response from him, and maybe could have got it if they had talked to him rather than making assumptions.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I will grumpily insist it should have been one of the main three.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They should introduce an android named Gayta

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Takei is great, but he doesn't own the character, and he does not have the authority to speak on behalf of all gays. He also occasionally has the habit of overinflating his own importance to the modern franchise. I for one am 100% happy that Sulu turned out to be the gay one and not Ensign Ricky who got shoehorned in.

Drone fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 22, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baka-nin posted:

I nominate Breakfast in Belfast for the next thread's title.
Thomas Riker (he's in the ra)
Geordi la Forge (he's in the ra)
Big Sisko (he's in the ra)
Jean-Luc Picard (he's in the ra)
Deanna Troi (he's in the ra)
Genderless Space Cloud (he's in the ra)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

True, but they very clearly made it about honoring him, and absolutely where banking on his approval, otherwise they wouldn't have made it a thing in the lead-up to release. They jumped on using Takei, without ever bothering to check with him as to whether he was interested in being part of it. He didn't just give his opinion on the matter out of the blue

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I honestly feel like a gay Kirk or Spock would have felt less jarring and out of place than the Spock \ Uhura romance. Maybe that's because gay Kirk \ Spock fanfiction has been around for 50 years and literally invented the genre. But I think it's more like Spock and Uhura don't have a lot of chemistry. I liked Trek '09 but Spock \ Uhura kinda made me do a double take and was like "buhwhat? I would have never even imagined those two characters as a couple ever." Of course, I guess they didn't go for Kirk \ Uhura because that would have been the obvious choice.

Drone posted:

Takei is great, but he doesn't own the character, and he does not have the authority to speak on behalf of all gays. He also occasionally has the habit of overinflating his own importance to the modern franchise. I for one am 100% happy that Sulu turned out to be the gay one and not Ensign Ricky who got shoehorned in.

Yeah, George Takei isn't like, King of the Gays or anything. Although King of the Gays is a pretty funny mental image. Somebody please take that concept and roll with it. One Queer to Rule them All.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There is one episode of the original series, where Uhura teases Spock for a bit and it is pretty flirty on her part, and I'm pretty sure it's like the only episode they watched.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, George Takei isn't like, King of the Gays or anything. Although King of the Gays is a pretty funny mental image. Somebody please take that concept and roll with it. One Queer to Rule them All.

This is why it shouldn't have been Sulu at all. It's blatantly just because Takei is gay.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just got back from watching Beyond, and without saying anything spoilery, I will say that I honestly think it has the most ensemble feel of any of the Star Trek movies, old and new. I think one thing it really has going for it is that while there was still some of that Kirk/Spock/McCoy triumvirate thing going on, no one got short shrift in this one. Plenty of screen time for everyone and it seemed like everyone had something important to do.

Also, full spoiler ahead the revelation of who Krall was came a little too late to be effective, but I was still disappointed at the end when I thought he was going to redeem himself by flipping the last switch and saving Kirk. I realize it would have been a bit of a stretch given he was already portrayed as a genocidal mad man, but it would have been nice to finally have a villain defeated by words in a Star Trek movie. Also, after the talk about a "more advanced design under construction" I was pretty disappointed that the 1701-A wasn't a JJExcelsior or something.

Overall still a pretty drat enjoyable movie. I'm still feeling the hype but I think once that settles down it will probably be my favorite of the 3 kelvin-verse movies.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

I reall enjoyed Beyond, this one really felt like its creating its own continuity and the first of the reboot movies to really feel like it's own movie.
Visually, it was striking, the sets and effects for Yorktown station were excellent.
Telling a unique story with a new threat was a great choice and he characters were a lot of fun in their own right.
I would put it in the top tier of a Star Trek Movies along with wraith of Kahn , undiscovered country and first contact.

My only negatives was the amount death in this movie, a lot of raising the stakes via death that felt out of place for Star Trek movie.
Kralls motivation was weak , and his goals were poorly defined.

The comedy was executed well, and The nod to the Futurama joke about classical music was a lot of fun.

overall I really enjoyed it.
Check it out.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Also, Yelchin will be missed in the series as well, it looks like they were building him up to the Kirk- esq Alien Don Juan, with a lot of him in the backround picking up alien ladies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Beyond is probably the strongest of the JJtreks. If they had gone with this instead of Into Khanness the overall impression of the reboot would have been vastly stronger. They actually justify that music choice the trailer had and the very dumb BMX motorcross vehicle makes sense as well.

Kirk's plot thread in this one isn't as explicit, but it's a nice progression. Nice semi-callback to WoK's birthday scene with McCoy and Kirk as well.

Chekov's scenes were great, but they unfortunately underscore what a loss Yelchin's untimely passing was. Guy was really talented and I'm glad he got some of the spotlight in this one.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Is there anybody that didn't like the previous two movies or most other modern blockbusters that was impressed by the latest one?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tighclops posted:

Is there anybody that didn't like the previous two movies or most other modern blockbusters that was impressed by the latest one?

Yeah this is exactly what I want to know.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I thought that '09 was ok but nothing great (a promising start at least) and Into Darkness was garbage.

Don't know if that counts.

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

WickedHate posted:

This is why it shouldn't have been Sulu at all. It's blatantly just because Takei is gay.

Who should it have been then?

EDIT: Sorry, I see you said one of the main three. Interesting but I think it would have called even more attention to itself, though I wouldn't have had a problem with that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

speakhard posted:

Interesting but I think it would have called even more attention to itself, though I wouldn't have had a problem with that.

The problem is just how little thought that went into it, and that even without Shatner around stealing lines, Sulu is still a side character. It's a token bone throw because the old Sulu is a famous gay guy. If Shatner or Nimoy were gay, I doubt their characters would be suddenly made LGBT "in tribute". Sulu is an all too perfect convenience.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't think we deserve something as awesome as canon gay Spock. Its platonic goodness would be tarnished by the very act of coming into being.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, for Christ's sake. It's a four-second throwaway bit. It's not like they had an entire subplot of the movie devoted to Sulu trying to save his husband or whatever.

Treating it as casually as they did is the best thing that Lin, Pegg and Jung could have done.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Also to be fair, Sulu didn't have much personality either. He mostly just said "aye, sir" and adjusted the throttle. It's not like gay Sulu is destroying the character of straight Sulu when there wasn't a lot of character to begin with.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Neither it being given too much attention nor ruining Sulu's character is why I'm dissatisfied with it. Nor am I even that upset, I just don't agree with the choice to make Sulu gay.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tighclops posted:

I've got a friend that didn't like either of the JJtreks, and he's likely not going to watch this one despite my saying that it's a good summer flick.

JJtrek doesn't capture the wonder of exploration or the unknown of the franchise. Honestly, the attitude is kind of written into the DNA of the film, what with Kirk becoming fatigued at his 900+ days in deep space, the routine of it all, and the boring, matter of fact scanning and storage of alien relics by Spock.

Beyond is a really fun action movie with surprising throwbacks to ENT. If you're more interested in a Trek that's based on time traveling to get whalesongs, or throwing yourself against an unknowable cloud with a sentient machine god at its core, this probably won't scratch that itch.

Also, don't bother paying extra for the 3D. I saw it in IMAX 3D and the effects weren't really anything special until the end credits. Not even the swarmships/transport effects were interesting with it.
It's a bit of a disappointment considering how novel Ghostbusters was with it expanding slightly past the screen matting.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 23, 2016

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tighclops posted:

Me. I didn't like ST09 and actively avoided watching Into Darkness after hearing some of the plot stuff from a friend.
I saw Beyond today. It's great. I want to go see it again at some point this weekend.
Go see it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

I honestly feel like a gay Kirk or Spock would have felt less jarring and out of place than the Spock \ Uhura romance. Maybe that's because gay Kirk \ Spock fanfiction has been around for 50 years and literally invented the genre.

It's really funny to consider that if they made Kirk and/or Spock gay but not interested in the other, that may well have pissed off more fans in total than just going straight (heh) K/S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

McSpanky posted:

It's really funny to consider that if they made Kirk and/or Spock gay but not interested in the other, that may well have pissed off more fans in total than just going straight (heh) K/S.

I mean... well... there's obviously a lot of tension between Kirk and Spock in these new movies. Maybe it would be a hatefucking. It would... actually kind of make sense.

I dunno why, but the Uhura\Spock relationship just feels really odd to me. You can argue that JJ Spock is more emotional because his planet got blown up, but they were dating before that. It could have worked if they slowly started hinting at a romance and building that over the course of a few movies before going for it, but that all happened offscreen so I saw it and was like "what the gently caress?" It just seems so uncharacteristic of both characters.

In fact, I would say Spock and Uhura feels way more out of place and uncharacteristic than Sulu being gay. Hell, I think a lot of people just assumed he was gay because I mean, he really sets of my gaydar throughout the show and movies. It's like if in Star Wars, C-3PO came out of the closet. Everyone would be like "well yeah, duh. We all knew he was a gay robot 40 years ago even though nobody explicitly told us."

What's also interesting is this really isn't causing a lot of controversy, either. Hell, it's downright civil in here other than WickedHate telling me that I'm the worst and should kill myself over it a few weeks back. That's a whopping one angry Internet jerk. Maybe it's because Paramount themselves are treating it like it's no big deal and the media isn't trying to whip people up into a frenzy of a span of months. I think it might be because most people really did always just assume that Sulu was gay.