Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Perk checks could actually work even better than skill checks, since you don't have to come up with an arbitrary number to attach to it. They'd need to restrict it to rank 1 of each perk or take away the level gating, but being able to hack a thing for a new quest solution thanks to your high SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!! or convince someone in a territory dispute to come live on your farm because you're a Local Leader, that kind of stuff would be cool. Just give the quest designers a list of all the perks and say "use your imagination"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Bramble posted:

Is a melee character in Survival just an unworkable idea? I'd like to try something different after I finish with my gunslinger/sniper, but I can't imagine not playing on Survival mode.
If you go hoss armored you might be okay, but the early game of bum rushing groups of raiders with shotguns can hurt. You do have to think more tactically - draw enemies into hallways with blind corners, make good use of explosives because your enemies definitely will.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

2house2fly posted:

Perk checks could actually work even better than skill checks, since you don't have to come up with an arbitrary number to attach to it. They'd need to restrict it to rank 1 of each perk or take away the level gating, but being able to hack a thing for a new quest solution thanks to your high SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!! or convince someone in a territory dispute to come live on your farm because you're a Local Leader, that kind of stuff would be cool. Just give the quest designers a list of all the perks and say "use your imagination"

Agreed and that's probably what they would have done if their speech stuff planned out how they wanted.

I still would love to have an interview about their dev process and why, with all this time and money, delivered a fairly tepid game in that regard.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's at least one perk check coded into the game as is. In Far Harbor you can sweet talk some cannibal trappers if you're a cannibal. If the whole game had that it'd be neat.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Roadie posted:

code:
                           OKAY, I'LL KILL THE GUY
                                     |
I'LL KILL THE GUY, BUT WITH SARCASM -O- MY BAAAABY
                                     |
                            I'LL COME BACK LATER

What we actually got was more like:

Questgiver: "I need you to go kill these ferals. Will you do it?"

code:
                                    YES
                                     |
                      SARCASTIC YES -O- ANGRY YES
                                     |
                                    NO (haha, just kidding, you can't say no)

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Speedball posted:

There's at least one perk check coded into the game as is. In Far Harbor you can sweet talk some cannibal trappers if you're a cannibal. If the whole game had that it'd be neat.

That reminds me of how fallout 3 has cannibal in the actual lore. And they have that group of cannibals who came together and learned to live in bloodpacks instead.

If I recall correctly. If the player has the cannibal perk, they teach you a way to get more health from blood packs.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

That was one of the worst quests of Fallout 3, bar none.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I still don't understand if they were actually meant to be supernatural or just mentally ill. For certain that quest was terrible, though.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Am I the only one who found that quest all deep and spiritual and stuff? Or did that all come from me being a 20 something nightwish fangirl at the time? It plucked all my heartstrings anyway.

I believe supernatural was the idea because this child had apparently butchered his parents with his bare hands and then eaten them. Violent enough that the local authorities assumed it was a death claw attack or something. Like he was a hairless werewolf.

AuroraSerenity
Dec 22, 2015
Mis-posted. Woops.

My iPad ate the long post. Ugh.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

That reminds me of how fallout 3 has cannibal in the actual lore. And they have that group of cannibals who came together and learned to live in bloodpacks instead.

If I recall correctly. If the player has the cannibal perk, they teach you a way to get more health from blood packs.

I can't remember if you got the blood pack health boost thing for having a perk, or if it was just based on resolving the quest peacefully and then telling what's his name you wanted to join the family.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Volkerball posted:

I can't remember if you got the blood pack health boost thing for having a perk, or if it was just based on resolving the quest peacefully and then telling what's his name you wanted to join the family.

He teaches you the perk.

Many perks came from quests or other requirements (like "free radical" in new vegas)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Zephyrine posted:

Am I the only one who found that quest all deep and spiritual and stuff? Or did that all come from me being a 20 something nightwish fangirl at the time? It plucked all my heartstrings anyway.

I believe supernatural was the idea because this child had apparently butchered his parents with his bare hands and then eaten them. Violent enough that the local authorities assumed it was a death claw attack or something. Like he was a hairless werewolf.

I don't know what any of those things are but every time I tried to go into that sewer and talk to the sewer vampires they just talked crazy gibberish and the only way to resolve the situation was to splatter them all over the walls, that's why I don't like it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

He teaches you the perk.

Many perks came from quests or other requirements (like "free radical" in new vegas)

Yeah but i don't know what triggers him to teach it to you.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
The trigger on getting the perk for blood packs is to get the people from Arefu to agree to provide blood to the cannibals voluntarily in exchange for protection, not just get them to stop attacking the town.

Kind of a useless perk though, since all it does is increase the amount of health from blood packs from 1 to 20 and who's carrying a lot of blood packs?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Deific Presence posted:

Are there any good settlement building guides, like for each individual settlement? I already know the basics, I just want advice for expanding beyond the dilapidated static buildings and the best uses for each settlement (shopping mall, junk farm, water farm, and food farms)

For water mills you can use Sanctuary, Egret Tours, and Taffington Boathouse (due east of Covenant.)

Abernathy, County Crossing are very flat and well/suited for adhesive farming. Greentop Nursery and Graygarden already have greenhouses with plants inside. But I especially like Abernathy (renamed New Abernathy in neon letters) because you can perch 4 missile launchers on each corner of the tall farmhouse like gargoyles of death.

Starlight is perfect for setting up vendors, general town-building and imaginative potential.

I thought I would grow to love Oberland Station due to the unique train tracks and early-game centralization but it's been nothing short of a pain in the rear end.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Small update about my yesterdays scavenge run for antibiotics: I searched all first aid kits which I could get a hold in the usual locations at the start of the game, found 0 antibiotics in them. It was quite funny as I stopped healing myself so I had no life and was getting killed by random bloatflies.

Once this didn't work, I managed to reach a level and invested a skill-point in lockpicking, trying to scavenge first-aid kits in few places which I found which were hidden behind an advanced lock. No antibiotics there too. I kind of gave up at this stage and the next suggestion which was made was visiting the Ghoul doctor close to the massively irradiated shack. She had 2(!) antibiotics! Knowing that, I reloaded the game, got from Sanctuary to her place and started heading back to Sanctuary to save the game again. I died to a random mine on the way back :suicide:

Once more, load, walk to the doctor, bloatfly, killed. :suicide:

Load, walk to the doctor, buy antibiotics, walk back, heal, sleep. Wake up, get the fatigue infection. :bang:

I'm not curing this one for now, don't know if I can get another infection to have 2 but I'm not wasting my last antibiotics on this crap. The only bright side is that now once I levelled up, I spent the the Perk to +1 Int, so on next level up I can get the Chemist perk.

Also: don't play survival if you're pissed at the game, cause you'll be doing stupid mistakes.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
e. wrong thread

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 22, 2016

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Anytime I hit a wall where I use the same Survival reload three times; bedtime.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Heh, speaking of where to find the doc caravan, I jumped into screw around a bit while my dinner cooked, and caught the doc coming south down the road from the Museum of Witchcraft/Crater House area, right by Lugowski's Cannery. After I swapped loot for meds/scrap/all his caps, they headed off directly into a trio of glowing feral dogs uphill towards the south edge of Dunwich Borers.

Don't know if he was making a run to the Lighthouse or Costal Cottage or what, but at least they didn't get caught up when I saw blowing up cars with my Two-Shot Radium Rifle. :getin:

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Some useful antibiotics-related tips that you probably already know - the Chemist perk (7 intelligence) lets you make your own at a chemistry station, and setting up a clinic at your settlement with Medic/Local Leader gives you a personal doc to patch up your disease whenever.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

potaties posted:

Some useful antibiotics-related tips that you probably already know - the Chemist perk (7 intelligence) lets you make your own at a chemistry station, and setting up a clinic at your settlement with Medic/Local Leader gives you a personal doc to patch up your disease whenever.

Yeah, that's my plan - to get the Chemist perk. I'm few attribute points short from the local leader, which may not have been the brightest idea, but we will see.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

kaaj posted:

Yeah, that's my plan - to get the Chemist perk. I'm few attribute points short from the local leader, which may not have been the brightest idea, but we will see.

I have found Survival more fun without settlements. Particularly with the Conquest mod that lets you camp.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Personally I couldn't run with a mod that allowed for anywhere sleeping. There are enough mattresses and sleeping bags (and empty bottles) strewn away in hidden corners that I have to figure they were planning for survival constraints when designing the map. Going without settlements, though, could be a thing. Cutting yourself off from abundant clean water filling stations could prolong the need to manage resources.

Then again, more than once I've been on a long jaunt and in need of a rest only to come across a mattress that's baked into the terrain and unusable, before getting one-shotted by a Fat Man-wielding raider dreadnaught or a kamikaze assaultron. But then after I'm through being mad it ends up being kind of funny. I only keep an autosaving mod running at this point for the occasional lockup or geometry trap.

Speaking of lockups, I complained last week about the game hard-locking my system using VATS and some random neoGAF poster or something like that revealed the answer - limiting the number of CPU cores used under the [general] section of the .ini. Worked for FO3, apparently, and it works for this game.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 22, 2016

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Personally I couldn't run with a mod that allowed for anywhere sleeping. There are enough mattresses and sleeping bags (and empty bottles) strewn away in hidden corners that I have to figure they were planning for survival constraints when designing the map. Going without settlements, though, could be a thing. Cutting yourself off from abundant clean water filling stations could prolong the need to manage resources.

Then again, more than once I've been on a long jaunt and in need of a rest only to come across a mattress that's baked into the terrain and unusable, before getting one-shotted by a Fat Man-wielding raider dreadnaught or a kamikaze assaultron. But then after I'm through being mad it ends up being kind of funny. I only keep an autosaving mod running at this point for the occasional lockup or geometry trap.

Speaking of lockups, I complained last week about the game hard-locking my system using VATS and some random neoGAF poster or something like that revealed the answer - limiting the number of CPU cores used under the [general] section of the .ini. Worked for FO3, apparently, and it works for this game.

I'm probably a dork but I won't sleep in random exposed raider beds or whatever. My dude only sleeps in a sheltered camp with a fire and cooking pot. Either high ground outside with a tent or in a secure building. Upgrading your gear without settlements is also interesting because you have to keep track of every bit of scrap you need for your next mod and you can't just Hoover up every good junk item because there's no place to store things.

E: this reminds me one thing I really want for survival mode is those random attacks that can happen in Baldurs Gate when you sleep in an insecure location.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 22, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah I messed that up for myself by running with the CYBER armature stuff (which is very cool but very broken) and bot building. Even if you give them the weakest carry weight they still lift more than any companion, save for maybe Strong

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

E: this reminds me one thing I really want for survival mode is those random attacks that can happen in Baldurs Gate when you sleep in an insecure location.

I wouldn't mind seeing this in normal mode, even. Seriously, often enough you come wandering by and someone is still zonked out, or just alerting to you and getting up - the Lone Wanderer would be getting licked awake by Glowing Feral Everything, or, even more amusing, having the "alarm clock" being some Jet psycho climbing into the power armor they finally crawled out of oh god it was only twenty minutes ago fuckmylife...

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
So apparently yesterday's patch was supposed to add Save on Exit, even in survival mode. Didn't work, lost about 2 hours of play. Lame.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deific Presence posted:

So apparently yesterday's patch was supposed to add Save on Exit, even in survival mode. Didn't work, lost about 2 hours of play. Lame.

That seems like one of those things I'd have tested and not taken on faith in Bethesda's coding

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The beta patch on PC saved for me only when I exited to the menu and not the desktop, if that's any consolation

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I recently discovered there was a NPC named Regi Blattaria that drops a gatling laser, I am still "relatively" early in the story I have already met the real Shaun(I am lvl 59 though) he should have been at his spawn point from what I understand but I haven't seen him... I am wondering if I hit that spot too early in the game and now I am screwed out of meeting with him. I am on the PS4 if it matters.

Any suggestions? Besides get it from the brotherhood of steel :)

Thanks

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

dazoner posted:

I recently discovered there was a NPC named Regi Blattaria that drops a gatling laser, I am still "relatively" early in the story I have already met the real Shaun(I am lvl 59 though) he should have been at his spawn point from what I understand but I haven't seen him... I am wondering if I hit that spot too early in the game and now I am screwed out of meeting with him. I am on the PS4 if it matters.

Any suggestions? Besides get it from the brotherhood of steel :)

Thanks

I don't know if his position is random or not but I ran into that guy for the first time last weekend. He was up on the second floor in that bombed out house full of radroaches just west of Corvega. I had walked past that house many many times on survival after clearing it early on in the game so he took me by surprise and killed me the first time. I was somewhere in the 40's when it happened.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Anyone ever been exploring far harbor and been oneshot by a gulper that mysteriously seemed to just teleport up behind them?

Happened to me a few times earlier on survival, and I just figured it out. The loving things hide in trees. Like they literally hang upside down by the tail and wait for stuff to walk underneath them.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

J-Spot posted:

I don't know if his position is random or not but I ran into that guy for the first time last weekend. He was up on the second floor in that bombed out house full of radroaches just west of Corvega. I had walked past that house many many times on survival after clearing it early on in the game so he took me by surprise and killed me the first time. I was somewhere in the 40's when it happened.

His location is fixed but he'll only spawn after a certain level. His weapon is level scaled too between minigun/gatlaser/random legendary.

e: Ho ho ho! Just got the Kiloton rifle on a character with demo expert and nuclear physicist :parrot: That gun is insane.

Lima fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 22, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

King Doom posted:

Anyone ever been exploring far harbor and been oneshot by a gulper that mysteriously seemed to just teleport up behind them?

Happened to me a few times earlier on survival, and I just figured it out. The loving things hide in trees. Like they literally hang upside down by the tail and wait for stuff to walk underneath them.

Not only that, they tend to be blocked some by the tree, so they don't always popup on VATS/aren't visible on sensor-equipped helmets.

Nice thing is, if you get a good sneaky first shot in, you can usually drop their health down a lot, if not murder 'em outright. (Disclaimer: level 100+ character experience.)

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Lima posted:

His location is fixed but he'll only spawn after a certain level. His weapon is level scaled too between minigun/gatlaser/random legendary.

e: Ho ho ho! Just got the Kiloton rifle on a character with demo expert and nuclear physicist :parrot: That gun is insane.

Just got a plasma infused radium rifle

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Any suggestions for a high-rise building interior (it can be in the overworld cell, just "inside"), where enemies don't spawn, that is centrally located in Boston? I want to establish a central safe house in Boston, and I really like the feel of the Ticonderoga safe house except for that it's already occupied and it's not very central. HalluciGen almost fits the bill except that the easily accessible bits are on the ground floor (no elevator).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Seashell Salesman posted:

Any suggestions for a high-rise building interior (it can be in the overworld cell, just "inside"), where enemies don't spawn, that is centrally located in Boston? I want to establish a central safe house in Boston, and I really like the feel of the Ticonderoga safe house except for that it's already occupied and it's not very central. HalluciGen almost fits the bill except that the easily accessible bits are on the ground floor (no elevator).

Boston Bugle, maybe?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Will a supply line get in there, like the mechanists lair? I'm assuming this is re: conquest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

hup posted:

Will a supply line get in there, like the mechanists lair? I'm assuming this is re: conquest

I don't know if supply lines work for interior settlements. Building in interiors with Conquest seems kind of broken and last I read on the mod page the owner hasn't tested interiors very much.

• Locked thread