Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

From my little bit of time trying the bow, it seems to be all about being very precise and only hitting the monster in the head (or whatever its weakest spot is), because if you're hitting it anywhere else then you're going to run out of coatings halfway through the fight and it's going to turn into a slog. Is that an accurate assessment or is there a way to do well by just thunking arrows into the monster's side?

The Moon Monster posted:

You need to make them explode right in front of the enemy's face. That said I haven't tried them in gen yet, so maybe!

Not right in front of their face - it can be a fair distance away and still work. But it definitely does have to be in front of them. If a monster's coming towards you, you want to turn away from it and throw the flash bomb directly into the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The Flash Bomb needs to be real close to the enemy, too. No more KOing Rathian from across the room.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
What's the SnS bnb that doesn't involve knocking your teammates around?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

When the "bubbly dance" skill says "evade an attack: does it mean something other than roll through it with iframes? It seems more like it trigger when your hit box is just outside an attack's reach.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

dragon enthusiast posted:

What's the SnS bnb that doesn't involve knocking your teammates around?

R+X,X,X,A,A

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The A finisher is usually all right too. It's the straight X combo you should never do and the shield slam can be bad too. Careful with styles though they juggle the moves around.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The A finisher is good but moves you around and has very long recovery. If you drop the final attack you can just spam the r+x combo.

but yeah the final attack of the x combo is terrible and should pretty much never be used

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Goddamn do I hate fighting Blangonga and I'm seeing there's a lot of quests in HR5 that involve fighting Niblesnarfs, which I hope aren't key quests

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
O_O I was in a room of HR2s and HR3s and we wound up doing a Teostra quest. Was not expecting him to be on such an early tier.

Spent half my time flipping away from him as fast as I could, miraculously managed to not die.

I love my aerial glaive so much for the emergency escape vault.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Do these weapons from the fragments get better via upgrades? All of the options I have for those have -30% Affinity :(

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Wafflz posted:

R+X,X,X,A,A

Note that in adept this does the shield bash, which also knocks your teammates around.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

empathe posted:

Do these weapons from the fragments get better via upgrades? All of the options I have for those have -30% Affinity :(

Do you mean the rusted weapons? They're pretty unusable until you upgrade them a few times, at which point they become solid dragon element weapons.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Calaveron posted:

Goddamn do I hate fighting Blangonga and I'm seeing there's a lot of quests in HR5 that involve fighting Niblesnarfs, which I hope aren't key quests

After 101 quests using lance only, when I saw the triple Niblesnarf quest I decided it was time to get back into the groove with hammer. I did one quest against 2x Lodrome to get back into the rhythm and it was just like riding a bike. I beat the triple Niblesnarf quest my first try :black101:.

Fortunately they seemed to come out one at a time.

I also disliked Blangonga, but for whatever reason Khezu gives me the most trouble. Definitely the fight that makes me use the most potions so far.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

The Moon Monster posted:

Do you mean the rusted weapons? They're pretty unusable until you upgrade them a few times, at which point they become solid dragon element weapons.

I guess so yeah... Like I can make a Teostra GL but haven't fought him yet. But it's -30

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

empathe posted:

I guess so yeah... Like I can make a Teostra GL but haven't fought him yet. But it's -30

Oh right those. That's actually a different thing. -30% affinity average out to -7.5% damage so just compare that with other weapons available to you and there you go.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Rustshard / Ancientshard weapons are usally pretty crap until you upgrade them. Usually you'll have a choice between a neat-looking dragon element weapon or an elder dragon weapon.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So wait, I'm hella confused by Palicos now. I understand the basic concept of a Prowler, but is a good Prowler a good companion to take with you on solo hunts? How do I maximize my cat friend efficiency.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You need less things for a good companion cause they are not gonna use dung and flash bombs correctly. So just focus on things that could be popped at any time and passives that increase stats/abilities, help them survive, or build meter faster. Detox horn owns though.

The emergency escape ability on companion cats is a little interesting though. They will usually pop it quite fast as a fast full heal.

I've had very good experiences with cat traps, they are generally helpful.

Fighter cats are decent at clearing out random poo poo. Demon horn lasts awhile and works on you. Piercing boomerangs is a key prowler skill but also helps fighter cats do actual damage on a monster.

Protector cat taunt definitely works so I imagine it'd be good for a gunner. It's really annoying as a melee though, the monster usually flies to the end of the room to chase the stupid cat.

Stealing cats seem rather hit miss. Same with gathering. The gathering passive just makes them focus on gathering over fighting. I've never stolen anything good and even with the passive it is infrequent.

Healing cats seem unchanged. I don't care for armor horn myself. Cheer at least boosts your hunter arts I guess.

Random other abilities on my brain: vase of vitality is neat. It clears debuffs. Go Fight or whatever is infinite stamina while the cat dances, that's useful. Also supposedly makes it easier for cats to use their other abilities.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 23, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Khezu is a tricky fight but I don't have any issues with him. Blangonga is just tedious and unfun and motherfucker runs around way too much and his animations are so weird and stiff and he's not even difficult.

Yian Garuga, that mother was a tough scary son of a bitch but his fight was also tense and hella fun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Almost no matter how many other weapons I try I keep coming back to aerial Hammer like a dear, lost old friend. :unsmith:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Gammoth really wasn't loving around, and I hear he's the easiest of the fantastic four? His charge blade looks so cool but g'drat I really don't want to farm him

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ignimbrite posted:

Rustshard / Ancientshard weapons are usally pretty crap until you upgrade them. Usually you'll have a choice between a neat-looking dragon element weapon or an elder dragon weapon.

Oh, are you meant to always dump upgrades into those to see what they become? I never knew that, I'd always just sell them off based on their names.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Why do my cattes keep laying down and slacking off mid-mission? Does it have to do with level or something?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

enojy posted:

Oh, are you meant to always dump upgrades into those to see what they become? I never knew that, I'd always just sell them off based on their names.

Only if you want the weapon. Getting them there takes a lot of earth crystals and monster fluid / broth. A lot of people don't bother with them, but I've always liked the elder dragon weapons you get from them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also, whoever said to use aerial hammer against Daimyo Hermitaur wasn't loving kidding. Goddamn I wrecked his poo poo.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also, whoever said to use aerial hammer against Daimyo Hermitaur wasn't loving kidding. Goddamn I wrecked his poo poo.

Aerial HH works a treat, too! All that smashy damage, plus the no-bounce song.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Just got to the ending credits... knew something was gonna happen but I wasn't quite expecting what did.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Turtlicious posted:

So wait, I'm hella confused by Palicos now. I understand the basic concept of a Prowler, but is a good Prowler a good companion to take with you on solo hunts? How do I maximize my cat friend efficiency.
If you want to make the Meta-Approved Perfect Prowler (tm), scout for attack-type cats and cycle through until you find one with:

Piercing Boomerang AND Big Boomerang (not mega boomerang) innate
Boomerang Pro AND either Earplugs or Crit Up (L)

Then teach it Emergency Escape and Last Stand, give it a boomerang-type weapon with elemental damage on it, and go nuts.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Why do my cattes keep laying down and slacking off mid-mission? Does it have to do with level or something?
Bring along a charisma-type and it will smack slackers and keep them on task.

I like cattes. :shobon:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Gammoth really wasn't loving around, and I hear he's the easiest of the fantastic four? His charge blade looks so cool but g'drat I really don't want to farm him

Go aerial and just keep stabbing him in the butt and he has no chance of attacking you back :v: I'm farming him with the Lava Pick SnS in Aerial style and other than going through like 5 whetstones per fight it's still a very simple "jump on him, hit him, rinse and repeat" process and he doesn't really have any attacks to deal with that. When he starts snorting cocaine snow you want to get out though since that attack covers most of his body. Staying in front of him is really scary too, but anywhere else seems pretty safe as long as you constantly jumping all over him.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Gammoth is a pushover unless you need trunkspines.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Question about Aerial Style Greatsword

For the level 3 charge, do you just hold vertical slash all the way, or do you need to let go slightly before?

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is just speculation but I think it has to do with their motivation level, which can be improved by not taking them on a mission for a bit or just eating before every hunt. Even if that's not true, eating is a good idea anyways.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Shoenin posted:

Question about Aerial Style Greatsword

For the level 3 charge, do you just hold vertical slash all the way, or do you need to let go slightly before?

You cannot overcharge an aerial greatsword strike, just hold it down.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Gammoth is a pushover unless you need trunkspines.

Which, coincidentally I need a lot of since I want to make all his weapons :saddowns: Am I right in assuming that you need to hit the tip of the trunk?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The Moon Monster posted:

When the "bubbly dance" skill says "evade an attack: does it mean something other than roll through it with iframes? It seems more like it trigger when your hit box is just outside an attack's reach.

It actually just means roll. No attack necessary. It takes 3 to proc IIRC but you can do it even with no enemy around.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Can anyone give me a breakdown of skills and what the numbers mean exactly? Or at least link to some new player resources that do a better job describing them. I've checked ingame and on some websites, but most seem to assume you're an established Monstar Huntar or something. So vague definitions like +10 Biology or +4 Stun doesn't offer me too much. (Is it +4 to stunning monsters? Or +4 to resist stuns, for instance.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kaldaris posted:

Can anyone give me a breakdown of skills and what the numbers mean exactly? Or at least link to some new player resources that do a better job describing them. I've checked ingame and on some websites, but most seem to assume you're an established Monstar Huntar or something. So vague definitions like +10 Biology or +4 Stun doesn't offer me too much. (Is it +4 to stunning monsters? Or +4 to resist stuns, for instance.)

You can press Y on the status screen to see a description of what the skills do, and they work by having breakpoints (+10 gets you the first breakpoint, then some have +15, +20 etc). If you're underneath that (so like, +4 stun) you get nothing, so you want at least +10 in a skill to make it do anything.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kaldaris posted:

Basically a skill isnt an incremental thing, you need a particular amount of points (10 but some get boosted at +15) to get an effect. 4 stun does nothing, 10 gives you immunity to getting stunned. You can read descriptions when you've got them selected with Y I think.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Holy poo poo. That is so loving helpful and instantly makes the sites I'm looking at make sense. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Turtlicious posted:

Aerial Hunting Horn is everything I ever dreamed it to be. I can't believe how viable hh is for soloing poo poo.

It's always been viable for soloing poo poo, at least in 4u anyways, since I've never played the older games. The buffs are for you! That they happen to affect your teammates is a bonus!

• Locked thread