Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Blackheart posted:

I wanna see more of the Mind Control guy. What's up with him and Aizawa.

You're not the only one.

Meanwhile in the alternate BL universe

(source)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Gyges posted:

No thank you, I'm not a fan of Inuyasha.

That's what immediately came to mind for me too. I don't think "Tsundere girl or girl who hasn't confessed feelings beats up/otherwise owns an oblivious guy" ever gets old, I like it every time I see it. That's just me though.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Behold the power of my quirk: PINBALL WIZARD.

*small metal balls bounce everywhere, wrecking poo poo*

It would also disguise his quirk's origins at least slightly, which might be a good thing when you've inherited the power of the #1 hero, probably best not to make yourself an obvious target running around yelling Delaware Smash and whatnot. I really like the idea of him converting his one for all strength into something else too through a gadget, if their tech can turn kinetic energy into electricity or just generally leech his power away for ~something~ so it doesn't have as much recoil on him that's a big improvement.

I'm pinning my hopes on his first 100% no recoil/body wrecking one for all use (assuming it hasn't happened yet, there's quite a few manga chapters I haven't read but probably will read soon) being with the assistance of someone else's Quirk, the most obvious source of which is Ochako. Maybe her rending him weightless significantly reduces the strain on his body since gravity is having a reduced effect on him. It's more likely to happen at a dramatic moment when he needs to be a big hero and has pure hot-blooded shonen strength running through him, but I like it when quirks complement one another.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

It's also no surprise that Hagakure hardly wears anything, how else would she use her quirk?

I always thought her costume was also invisible or something

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

TWIST FIST posted:

I always thought her costume was also invisible or something

Don't be absurd, that's impossible.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Hagakure's actual Quirk is the ability to turn any clothing she wears selectively invisible.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elfgames posted:

He doesn't break his arms just by using one for all it's that his body can't handle the recoil from hitting things with that much force.

If this is the case, there should be a ton of ways he can use 100% OfA without hurting himself. For example, he could just attack with shockwaves from punching air. Also, there wouldn't be much recoil unless he was hitting something really heavy/strong/hard. Like, if he hypothetically punched a giant teddy bear with OfA, there would only be a limited amount of recoil since the object he's hitting isn't very heavy, solid, or hard.

It also doesn't seem to explain the time he put OfA into the tip of his finger and threw the ball. It still hosed his finger up badly, even though he wasn't really "hitting" the ball, and was instead sort of "pushing" it (which is what happens when you throw something).

The impression I've always gotten is that just exerting that much strength makes his muscles rip apart and bones break, whether he's hitting something or not. He could punch air with 100% OfA and it would still probably gently caress his arm up.

edit: Another thing supporting my idea is the way his "full cowl" use is portrayed. It consists of him using a safe, limited amount of OfA throughout his whole body, which implies that running more than that through his body would be unsafe and cause damage, regardless of whether he was punching anything.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 22, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Like half of me still thinks the whole "Oh I have not yet fully detailed her quirk!!" thing was a joke because... it's invisibility, there's not much to get

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

If this is the case, there should be a ton of ways he can use 100% OfA without hurting himself. For example, he could just attack with shockwaves from punching air. Also, there wouldn't be much recoil unless he was hitting something really heavy/strong/hard. Like, if he hypothetically punched a giant teddy bear with OfA, there would only be a limited amount of recoil since the object he's hitting isn't very heavy, solid, or hard.

It also doesn't seem to explain the time he put OfA into the tip of his finger and threw the ball. It still hosed his finger up badly, even though he wasn't really "hitting" the ball, and was instead sort of "pushing" it (which is what happens when you throw something).

The impression I've always gotten is that just exerting that much strength makes his muscles rip apart and bones break, whether he's hitting something or not. He could punch air with 100% OfA and it would still probably gently caress his arm up.

edit: Another thing supporting my idea is the way his "full cowl" use is portrayed. It consists of him using a safe, limited amount of OfA throughout his whole body, which implies that running more than that through his body would be unsafe and cause damage, regardless of whether he was punching anything.

he's hitting air with huge amounts of force that will break things and you still get an equal yet opposide reaction when you throw a ball if just using one for all badly caused him to break then it would happen as soon as he used it not just when he hit somthing

full cowl takes the 5% or whatever he puts in his arm all over his body making the individual punches much weaker so that the recoil isn't loving him up.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Gyges posted:

No thank you, I'm not a fan of Inuyasha.

I had absolutely zero intention of referencing Inuyasha, but on second reading my post that is clearly what it came out as.

God, Inuyasha was terrible :allears:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Elfgames posted:

he's hitting air with huge amounts of force that will break things and you still get an equal yet opposide reaction when you throw a ball if just using one for all badly caused him to break then it would happen as soon as he used it not just when he hit somthing

full cowl takes the 5% or whatever he puts in his arm all over his body making the individual punches much weaker so that the recoil isn't loving him up.

To phrase that in a slightly more coherent way, when you punch hard enough to make a shock-wave, the shock-wave punches back. See: Newton's Third Law of Motion

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elfgames posted:

This isn't really clear; it's entirely possible that once he's activated OfA at 100% he's already causing damage to his body by pushing it beyond its limits, but OfA allows him to follow through with the movement despite the damage it's causing to him (though the impression I get is that using OfA + any sort of movement, regardless of whether you're hitting anything, causes damage). Also, when you throw a ball or push air you're distributing that force over a greater period of time, so there's going to be less stress to your body when you do so. But the series hasn't really showed any difference between the damage caused by him punching the robot and the damage caused by him swiping the air while fighting Todoroki. Also, when Midoriya is training with Gran Torino and is first trying out his full cowl thing, he clearly acts like he's in some level of discomfort just from activating it across his body, even though he isn't even moving (chapter 48), and he's afraid that it'll cause him damage when he tries to move with it.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I'm not sure if you can really apply real world physics to super-strength in comics. In the real world, the "strength" would just be a function of speed and mass, meaning that super strength would basically be = super speed in the case of someone who doesn't change their mass (like Midoriya). Usually super strength consists of a character being able to behave as if they actually had more mass than they really do. Also, we can assume OfA confers some degree of extra durability, because otherwise it wouldn't matter how hard Deku punched that robot at the beginning of the series; it would have just gibbed his arm and done little damage to the robot if it just allowed him to move faster (which also implies that it's the OfA enhanced movement that is doing the damage, rather than the resistance of hitting something). And if it didn't gib his arm, his arm just would have probably just punched through the robot rather than launching it away.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 22, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Too much science and physics, not enough boobs rooms moves teaching for big dumb idiots books.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 22, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aurora posted:

C'mon y'all she's not Miku

and she's worse off for it

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Also, when Midoriya is training with Gran Torino and is first trying out his full cowl thing, he clearly acts like he's in some level of discomfort just from activating it across his body, even though he isn't even moving (chapter 48), and he's afraid that it'll cause him damage when he tries to move with it.

You forget chapter 47 where Deku charges up OFA to attack gran torino yet doesn't break his arm because the force of his attack was reduced. My interpretation of 48 was more that he was struggling to keep full cowl from going out of control.

Also I'm still saying that all might created muscle form to create a bit of cushion to reduce the wear of OFA generated impacts.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mikl posted:

I had absolutely zero intention of referencing Inuyasha, but on second reading my post that is clearly what it came out as.

God, Inuyasha was terrible :allears:

I recently began a customary replay of the PS2 RPG and man, it is. In the best way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Terper posted:

Like half of me still thinks the whole "Oh I have not yet fully detailed her quirk!!" thing was a joke because... it's invisibility, there's not much to get

No there is more to it. As she would not have been able to pass the exam with just that. The Invisibility is a just a passive qurirk she has inherited from one or both of her parents. Like Kouda's rock person look and Tokoyami's bird head, in addition to another power she can use.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Elfgames posted:

Also I'm still saying that all might created muscle form to create a bit of cushion to reduce the wear of OFA generated impacts.

No, Muscle Form is how he naturally is. The surgeries, healing and lifestyle change from his missing organs are what made him All Slight. His muscle form being able to handle OFA impacts is both because he's naturally pretty darn strong and from his extensive use of OFA.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I can't wait until we see more young All Might to learn about whether his Muscle Form is a separate thing from how he was before the injury.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given that his debut (the video Deku watched so much as a kid) was in muscle form, and his injury was after his debut (the injury was a few years before the series started, while Deku, now a high schooler, was an extremely small child when All Might debuted), he looked like that even before AFO wrecked his insides.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
How old is Deku?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

EponymousMrYar posted:

No, Muscle Form is how he naturally is. The surgeries, healing and lifestyle change from his missing organs are what made him All Slight. His muscle form being able to handle OFA impacts is both because he's naturally pretty darn strong and from his extensive use of OFA.

No his emaciated form is his true self. Yes when he had all his organs he was probably much sturdier but there's nothing to suggest that he didn't puff himself up then as well.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Japanese high school first year is 15-16 years old, and unless it happened offscreen Deku hasn't had a birthday yet.

Which reminds me that presumably the second and third years are going to show at some point and we'll become truly clogged with characters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

No there is more to it. As she would not have been able to pass the exam with just that. The Invisibility is a just a passive qurirk she has inherited from one or both of her parents. Like Kouda's rock person look and Tokoyami's bird head, in addition to another power she can use.

She did it with the power of comic relief.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Given that his debut (the video Deku watched so much as a kid) was in muscle form, and his injury was after his debut (the injury was a few years before the series started, while Deku, now a high schooler, was an extremely small child when All Might debuted), he looked like that even before AFO wrecked his insides.

or he used muscle form even when he wasn't hurt he's definately the type to create a secret identity for himself and not being hurt might mean he could have done it for as long as he needed. there's no real proof.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why wouldn't she? Invisibility is an extremely powerful combat tool. She just needs to get behind a robot, pry it open, and start ripping wires out. Maybe rack up a few rescue points while she's at it, because Deku wasn't the only one to get those.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I think it's more a case of her being able to turn things invisible. So maybe she can go full Absolom in the future, using invisible weapons.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
But she got completely naked during the combat trials to where she removed her own outfit to spy on the others, why wouldn't she just make that stuff invisible if she had that power?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Either:

A: You're right and her powers are different.
B: She's a weirdo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

If you had invisibility powers from when you were like 5 years old, you would probably get pretty comfortable with being naked around people.

Her quirk training/special move thing might be learning to make other things invisible. That would make a lot of sense, otherwise I dunno what it would be other than basic CQC training like Uraraka got. Once you actually engage with someone being invisible is an advantage but being naked definitely isn't.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The biggest mystery is that Mineta has made absolutely no comment about it, even though he mentions her while listing the girls'... virtues in the dressing room.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Minoru's primitive brain only reacts to actually seeing the boobs. Invisiboobs might as well not exist to him. Kyouka sadly falls in this category too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm surprised she hasn't been conveniently thrown into a vat of some kind of sticky substance to give her dimension yet. Or maybe that will be the big reveal, they'll douse her in something and it'll actually be an evil, invisible monkey with an invisible walkie talkie on invisible stilts with a couple of invisible coconuts shoved inside a schoolgirl outfit.

Edit: I'm pretty sure someone made almost this exact joke at one point in the thread, actually.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm surprised she hasn't been conveniently thrown into a vat of some kind of sticky substance to give her dimension yet. Or maybe that will be the big reveal, they'll douse her in something and it'll actually be an evil, invisible monkey with an invisible walkie talkie on invisible stilts with a couple of invisible coconuts shoved inside a schoolgirl outfit.

Edit: I'm pretty sure someone made almost this exact joke at one point in the thread, actually.

We've already seen her in liquid, remember the hot springs chapter?

Hagakure is shameless.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a optical illusion.

Or a really sneaky monkey.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Her secret ability is that she's really really jacked.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Peel posted:

Japanese high school first year is 15-16 years old, and unless it happened offscreen Deku hasn't had a birthday yet.

Which reminds me that presumably the second and third years are going to show at some point and we'll become truly clogged with characters.

Izuku's actually has had his birthday off screen. His birthday is July 15th and it is currently August.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Does it come with extra shattered limb and broken fingers options