Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think troops are one of the coolest things in the game, so any support they get is 100% awesome by me. The newer troops tend to be pretty slick (from my POV at least) although I'm a bit ??? on Mortars. Very much looking forward to Phase 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Looks like some stores have the next wave of new units on pre order for the 30th and Phase 2 for the 6th of August.

I wonder if dropfleet packages will start showing up completely unannounced on peoples doorsteps soon. :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah my lgs had them up for pre order Monday. Most excited by Falcon-Bs out of all my new stuff so far. Plus the book!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Bistromatic posted:

Looks like some stores have the next wave of new units on pre order for the 30th and Phase 2 for the 6th of August.

I wonder if dropfleet packages will start showing up completely unannounced on peoples doorsteps soon. :v:

It would be hilarious and awesome if the package I need to pick up from the post office was my Dropfleet pledge.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah my lgs had them up for pre order Monday. Most excited by Falcon-Bs out of all my new stuff so far. Plus the book!

I'm holding myself to painting the stuff i got before getting more but yeah, i' pretty excited for the Falcon Bs too. In total i'm aiming for 12 raven chassis, with four falcon modules for each A and B, six infantry pods and eight sets of clamps. That should have me covered for pretty much every reasonable build.

What i really need is more forward ground stuff though so probably six katanas, and a broadsword as the next purchases.

I really hope we see the Red Vengeance soon too so i can decide whether to get that or a normal phoenix.

Edit:
Speak of the devil https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander/posts/1636197

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 22, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been running Six Katana's for a bit and it's beastly, but the hardened missions kinda gently caress you up. Though I ran that with an Eagle in the same group and it was the click of death group. all the dice.

I still haven't built my first Phoenix, not sure how I feel about buying a second. I only bought Cato's Ferrum for the same reason tbh.

On that link, get coming here boys! Dropfleet Pre-Launch event in Cardiff, UK - 20th August
(Free Tickets for this event are still available here)

I'll get ya a pint if yer a goon. (I'll try to forget). :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Flipswitch posted:

I've been running Six Katana's for a bit and it's beastly, but the hardened missions kinda gently caress you up. Though I ran that with an Eagle in the same group and it was the click of death group. all the dice.

I still haven't built my first Phoenix, not sure how I feel about buying a second. I only bought Cato's Ferrum for the same reason tbh.

On that link, get coming here boys! Dropfleet Pre-Launch event in Cardiff, UK - 20th August
(Free Tickets for this event are still available here)

I'll get ya a pint if yer a goon. (I'll try to forget). :v:

I would love to attend but getting from hamburg to london seems more expensive than i can justify. Maybe i can make it to invasion some time :shobon:

And yeah, six katanas plus eagle seems to be a classic. I do own an eagle i just have to do the condor chassis magnetisation before painting it.

For Cato, im not a huge fan of her model even if i like her illustration and background a lot. Maybe i'll find someone who runs two of those Ferrums some time and is willing to split with a set of cards.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I hate katanas. Quite a lot.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

katana's are amazing you love them deep down, you really do. :v:

Also, lookie what I found. :)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

katana's are amazing you love them deep down, you really do. :v:

Also, lookie what I found. :)

Dang, that thing hates airplanes.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Ugleb posted:

I hate katanas. Quite a lot.

This is a ringing endorsement.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Bistromatic posted:

This is a ringing endorsement.

Only for UCM players.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
What is the Katana equivalent for PHR?

I need to start painting my PHR before the Dropfleet starts rolling out.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

dexefiend posted:

What is the Katana equivalent for PHR?

I need to start painting my PHR before the Dropfleet starts rolling out.

Enyo's are the dedicated demo unit, you can just walk them on and start blowing chunks out of buildings across the table.

When not demoing they are basically an Odin with less range and lower power shots.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Katana's are great, but have their flaws = they low energy can hurt against targets with high armour, and sometimes two shots on one unit can be a little bit of overkill.

That said, they are very useful for shooting up AV6 buildings and low armour, multiple HP enemies such as Resistance battle buses.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I don't know how humanity originally lost to the Scourge with how aggravating some Resistance poo poo is to kill. :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Highres Phase 2 cover from the german facebook group.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Pretty sure those are two Hera's. Which implies you could use multiple of them at once. A squad of them to go with your Apollo's sounds tasty.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Ugleb posted:

Pretty sure those are two Hera's. Which implies you could use multiple of them at once. A squad of them to go with your Apollo's sounds tasty.

Did I imagine it, or was there something about hera retinues for commanders mentioned in the phase 2 preview video?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I don't remember the details right now but Heras are definitely becoming a non-character choice like the Broadsword.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I need to make a new scourge list for the Gen Con tournament and am not quite sure where to start. Was hoping to do some play testing and such with a list this month and it just never happened. Any suggestions? I have just about everything produced for scourge, even the new stuff since I was able to pick it up at Origins.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Any idea whether you will be playing air scoring missions or not? I feel as though scourge are far more sensitive than any other faction to focal points.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
No idea. All I know is its 1500 points and 3 games, 36 players total.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
That's a shame, as you can't really go maximum gunships. Both corruptors and commanders in desolators have been making appearances in the UK tournaments recently, but then again scourge have been struggling to place above mid table so maybe this isn't working?

I know a couple of the better players have been experimenting with maximum infantry armies (5 squads plus 2 corruptors) but again these haven't met with much success outside of some specific missions.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Corrupter's are a good unit, but I doubt you need to add EXTRA infantry - in fact, I was thinking about dropping a infantry squad and using the compulsory warriors as ferrys for objectives found by the Razorworms.

This is what I'm thinking of giving a go - Maybe swapping the Desalator for the Oppressor.

pre:
Max Corruption
Clash: 1496/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1496/1500 pts]
		Oppressors [305 pts]
			Desolator: Desolator(Master) [225 pts]
			Corruptors: Corruptor [80 pts]
		Vanguard [314 pts]
			Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder(+Vampire) [156 pts]
			Reaper Squad: 3x Reaper, Marauder [158 pts]
		Vanguard [351 pts]
			Ravagers: 3x Ravager, Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster) [190 pts]
			Stalkers: 3x Stalker, Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster, +Vampire) [161 pts]
		Warriors [134 pts]
			Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors [54 pts]
			Corruptors: Corruptor [80 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [196 pts]
			Minders: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
			Destroyers: 2x Destroyers, Intruder Alpha [140 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [196 pts]
			Monitors: 4x Monitor, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
			Destroyers: 2x Destroyers, Intruder Alpha [140 pts]

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I am very, very interested to see the Overseer rules. That thing could be a huge deal for Scourge. Or not great. Who knows!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, a little worried (not really, playing more for fun than to win this particular tournament) about playing the scourge but for whatever reason I don't feel like bringing my PHR.

Kind of glad to hear people are just playing around with stuff still. Hopefully people will be more scared of those corruptors than they should be, or at least not scared enough.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Played Dropfleet today, it was good!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Dropfleet with actual painted models? Where and how drat you!?

Edit - What are your first impressions? Do fighters rule all? Are Scourge totally invisible past 6“?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Were those resin or plastic models? I know previous events have been using resin.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ugleb posted:

Dropfleet with actual painted models? Where and how drat you!?

Edit - What are your first impressions? Do fighters rule all? Are Scourge totally invisible past 6“?
Firestorm Games, and how because I have my ways.

I really enjoyed it, has the same thing as Dropzone where you sort of go "uhh" when reading the rules, but it all made sense when playing it out. We had a bare table because I'm currently designing some maps using Google Earth for the store. Strike Craft were pretty savage when they got deployed but I made a beeline for that Cruiser that had Strike Craft so it didn't come up too much.

I forgot about the Stealth/Partial Cloak rule for the first two turns of the game but I managed to get pretty far up the table before I could get targetted and then just zerged full thrust and started spraying plasma. It was really fun.

E: The bases are cool, but I think the info panels could be way bigger, you can't really see your opponents when sat down, but when stood up it's okay. The damage-peg tracker is complete wank though, sorry Hawk.

wdarkk posted:

Were those resin or plastic models? I know previous events have been using resin.
Resin, the one UCM ship has a bent backside because of it. These were sent by Hawk to us. I have got a metal Strike Carrier to paint on my desk though. :)

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 27, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

E: The bases are cool, but I think the info panels could be way bigger, you can't really see your opponents when sat down, but when stood up it's okay. The damage-peg tracker is complete wank though, sorry Hawk.

Resin, the one UCM ship has a bent backside because of it. These were sent by Hawk to us. I have got a metal Strike Carrier to paint on my desk though. :)

It seems like it'd be hard to read the damage pegs, but at least they'll be hard to lose track of and won't get picked up and rolled by mistake.

I'd really like to see a side-by-side of the resin and plastic ships, to see if there's any difference in detail level.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'll take a pic if I head down for some gaming tomorrow night as a side by side. Though my model isn't primed so details may be hard to see.

Oh yeah, two of the cruisers in the game blew each other up which was pretty intense. I blew up the one UCM Cruiser and the resulting explosion took out my Cruiser. :v: Knife fights are pretty crazy!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

I'll take a pic if I head down for some gaming tomorrow night as a side by side. Though my model isn't primed so details may be hard to see.

Oh yeah, two of the cruisers in the game blew each other up which was pretty intense. I blew up the one UCM Cruiser and the resulting explosion took out my Cruiser. :v: Knife fights are pretty crazy!

But wouldn't that be metal vs resin rather than plastic vs resin?

And how common are giant explosions when you kill a ship? Does overkill damage influence it?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

if I head down for some gaming tomorrow

*IF*

I thought we where playing DZC... My shaltari haven't seen daylight in far too long.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Renfield posted:

*IF*

I thought we where playing DZC... My shaltari haven't seen daylight in far too long.
yea am about to drop you a message on facebook. I should be down though. :)

wdarkk posted:

And how common are giant explosions when you kill a ship? Does overkill damage influence it?
Yeah, Metal vs Resin mate.

Not to my memory and the explosions we ended up with weren't that large, the system for it is neat though.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wdarkk posted:

From playing about 5 games I've only gotten some chain explosions once, so I guess it isn't too routine.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention rule specifics but the system for figuring it out is based on ship class/size but with the game being a game of flight pegs against each other it did feel a little bit on the short side? then again we didn't have huge explosions from our outcomes.

Two ships taking each other out was metal as hell though.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Flipswitch posted:

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention rule specifics but the system for figuring it out is based on ship class/size but with the game being a game of flight pegs against each other it did feel a little bit on the short side? then again we didn't have huge explosions from our outcomes.

Two ships taking each other out was metal as hell though.

If in doubt i'd take smaller death explosions over chain reactions occuring too often so that works out i guess. That said, how is your experience with crowding? Does physical overlap of ships or bases ever become an issue or do thing naturally want to keep enough distance from each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It never happened for us but I could imagine if you're trying to get as many ships as possible into close action range of a large capital ship you would start to have issues. The game did turn into a Napoleonics style scrap with ships cutting each other up though. I'll be playing another game tonight probably. :)