Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

ImpAtom posted:

There's a lot of tiny clues but the most blatant is that everyone who is a Citizen (c) has a real name beginning with that letter and Crowe is basically the only C not accounted for and the time he splits up from your party mysteriously right before C appears.

One particularly big hint is right in the opening movie.

Right before the introduction shows a shot of C you see the brief image of a black crow for a moment. The other clues, aside from the initial, are that Crow is around both times you meet and battle C (once in the mine after he conveniently split up with you and once earlier during the festival in Heimdallr when Towa and Angelica were busy evacuating people and we knew Crow was in town, yet for some reason he didn't join his friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Whew, finished my Nightmare playthrough of Cold Steel. Still missing two trophies (Erebonian Wildlife because I still need a dumb panda out of Lunamaria and the Million gold trophy). I got a little nervous when I opened the last chest because it took so long for the Chest-grabber trophy to pop up for that. I'm not really feeling a third playthrough for a while. It's pretty fast if you skip the majority of all the dialog, though. I think it was another 30ish hours and I watched the final chapter events properly. I'll go back and get those other two trophies in like an hour and Cold Steel will be my first platinum, like ever I think. My savegame is ready to go for Cold Steel 2 - Level 82, danced with Best-Girl Sara.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Levantine posted:

My savegame is ready to go for Cold Steel 2 - Level 82, danced with Best-Girl Sara.

Student level A0?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Some Numbers posted:

Student level A0?

Oh yeah, that too. My second playthrough was intended to be "perfect" and other than missing a couple monsters for the trophy, I'm good. but that shouldn't matter for my clear data.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I made the mistake of clearing all my save data except for my game clear saves, so I have the choice between level 68ish student rank A0 or a much lower student rank and the ability to grind up to 70+

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

Ahhh.
Also now having watching the Cold Steel 2 trailer, is there a background of that ending image because that looks badass. :getin:

Found this. (Cold Steel spoiler)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Some Numbers posted:

I made the mistake of clearing all my save data except for my game clear saves, so I have the choice between level 68ish student rank A0 or a much lower student rank and the ability to grind up to 70+

I'd be happy to share my clear game data with you. I'm not sure what the current method for resigning saves are but I'm sure you could google it if you're not already familiar.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Levantine posted:

I'd be happy to share my clear game data with you. I'm not sure what the current method for resigning saves are but I'm sure you could google it if you're not already familiar.

I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Platinum done. I thought I was going to be done after scanning the Sasa Panda in Lunamaria park, but it turned out I missed one of the tiny robots in Sachsen Iron Mine in Chapter 6 :argh:

Luckily the game is almost built for speed running; I fast forwarded all the dialog, sprinted everywhere, only fought bosses and used Moebius to keep me topped off with Zeram Capsules for CP. Just a short 4 hours later I had it done. The game totally changed when I realized that hitting an enemy on the world map again after stunning it once instantly killed it. I guess you have to be so much more powerful to do it, but at level 82, everything including the toughest enemies in the final dungeon will run away from you if they see you so all but the biggest are vulnerable to it.

edit: I'm so ready for CS2. I'm probably more excited for it than Final Fantasy XV.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trails in the Sky is today's daily deal on Steam. :10bux: for FC, :20bux: for SC.

You should have already played them so you can get Earth Defense Force 4.1 today instead.

E D F
E D F

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I am having trouble beating the big guy at the bottom of the schoolhouse. Does anyone have any tips? I started my game on Hard Mode, and though it's been well-balanced for most of the way, I keep losing against this guy.

Giant Shadow thing. I've got Rean and Laura up in front whacking, not doing as much damage as I like (Rean has something like 65% evade without Insight), Emma is dropping big megaflames on the bad dude, and since I've also been working with Fie I've given her Seraphic Ring and some buffs (because of her speed - it's a fullheal so ATS doesn't matter). Whenever it eats one of my guys, I'm pretty good about having a big super move ready to force them back onto the field.

My problem is he's got that one big move where he takes the dark ball and the light ball and presses them together and makes a big boom, and it just about kills everybody. I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with it. I'm thinking of giving everybody a defense buff spell or something, maybe that will work. Seraphic Ring's HP Regen keeps my dudes topped up anyway, so would that be a good idea?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

many johnnys posted:

I'm thinking of giving everybody a defense buff spell or something, maybe that will work. Seraphic Ring's HP Regen keeps my dudes topped up anyway, so would that be a good idea?

Swap Elliot in for Emma and use his Resounding Beat. It's a defense buff with its own HP regen, so you can have your cake and eat it too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Do you have the Moebius Master Quartz and is it level 5?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

many johnnys posted:

I am having trouble beating the big guy at the bottom of the schoolhouse. Does anyone have any tips? I started my game on Hard Mode, and though it's been well-balanced for most of the way, I keep losing against this guy.

Giant Shadow thing. I've got Rean and Laura up in front whacking, not doing as much damage as I like (Rean has something like 65% evade without Insight), Emma is dropping big megaflames on the bad dude, and since I've also been working with Fie I've given her Seraphic Ring and some buffs (because of her speed - it's a fullheal so ATS doesn't matter). Whenever it eats one of my guys, I'm pretty good about having a big super move ready to force them back onto the field.

My problem is he's got that one big move where he takes the dark ball and the light ball and presses them together and makes a big boom, and it just about kills everybody. I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with it. I'm thinking of giving everybody a defense buff spell or something, maybe that will work. Seraphic Ring's HP Regen keeps my dudes topped up anyway, so would that be a good idea?

my party for that was rean/laura/elliot/alisa/emma/jusis/machias

elliot spammed resounding beat, alisa acted as a cp battery, machias gave turns, emma used spells, laura and rean spammed their s-crafts, and jusis was just their for his buffs.

you want to be constantly swapping people in/out to maximize buff uptime and stacks.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Some Numbers posted:

This pretty much solves all problems. Make up a bunch of those kebabs and hotpots and just spam full party buffs with your healer character. Quartz for maximum damage, maybe stick some impede quartz in. He's vulnerable to being set on fire, so try that too. It can take a HUGE chunk of his life each time it ticks (Nightmare it was like 24k). I like Rean, Laura, Fie and probably Elliot for Resounding Beat, though you could use Alissa for Heavenly Gift. Laura, Fie and Rean put a stomping on him as soon as the food buffs go up so I never really needed to switch anyone in. If you're having issues, don't be afraid to use your Zeram items, especially with the Moebius quartz at level 5. I beat him faster on Nightmare than I did on my first Normal playthrough doing that.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If you use Domination Quartz, use a recipe to give Rean STR +50% and let loose with a 200CP S-craft, you can often shave nearly half of its HP away in one go.

Also, if the big blast keeps killing you, use Shining or Alisa's Heavenly gift to keep the insight status up. Despite what it looks like, the attack is physical and can be evaded.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So I finally finished SC and I started Cold Steel. The slight variations in quartz names and colors is throwing me off. Mind 1 should be blue!

I see I can get relationship links with characters by spending time with them but I can also spend time with non-party members like the student council president. Is it worth spending time with regular NPCs or should I prioritize the members I'm gonna use? And are there any characters that are bad and I should ignore?

Thanks in advance and god bless.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

All of your party members are useful in combat. Non-party members don't give you anything for spending time with them, but combat link levels really don't do anything major in the first place so just spend time with whoever you like.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Overbite posted:

So I finally finished SC and I started Cold Steel. The slight variations in quartz names and colors is throwing me off. Mind 1 should be blue!

I see I can get relationship links with characters by spending time with them but I can also spend time with non-party members like the student council president. Is it worth spending time with regular NPCs or should I prioritize the members I'm gonna use? And are there any characters that are bad and I should ignore?

Tiny senpai is the best and you should spend time with her whenever you can.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Overbite posted:

If you want to 100% the game, there are some more optimal times to spend time with certain party members over others, but that requires 2 playthroughs anyway so unless you plan to do that, just do what Really Pants said and hang with those you like. As far as some characters being better than others, Laura is basically Agate so use her all the time. Fie is an incredible dodge-tank if you slot her for it (she can get her Evade to 85% almost effortlessly). Elliot is probably the better of the two "magic" characters but you can really use anyone you like.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Even if you never hang out with people once they'll still reach like level 4 out of 5 in their link by the end of the game, so it's not a big deal who you choose. Which is why you should hang out with Towa as often as possible.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

lets hang out posted:

Even if you never hang out with people once they'll still reach like level 4 out of 5 in their link by the end of the game, so it's not a big deal who you choose. Which is why you should hang out with Towa Sara as often as possible.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

do bonds transfer since I'm p sure all the non party member bonds are party members in II

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

also good

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Towa and Sara never want to hang out on the same days so you can easily do both

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
thanks for the info. Sara seems fun so I was gonna hang with her.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
I'm not an authority or anything, but no one mentioned anything about link levels transferring, so presumably not.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Really Pants posted:

Swap Elliot in for Emma and use his Resounding Beat. It's a defense buff with its own HP regen, so you can have your cake and eat it too.

It'd take effort to level him up, I'm willing to do it but I spread my dudes out since both the badman and goons can hit everybody. I guess if I kill all the goons then the regen will offset the boss damage. I already have the huge heal that's fullscreen and includes regen though, so that's alright.

I was thinking of having Emma use her "everybody's defense is maxed now (except mine)" skill. Just get her farther away to solve that little problem.

Some Numbers posted:

I have the quartz but it's not leveled to five. From what I've been reading itt, it makes item heals AOE? If so I might grind it up a bit. It should be at like 4.5 by now.

Erpy posted:

If you use Domination Quartz, use a recipe to give Rean STR +50% and let loose with a 200CP S-craft, you can often shave nearly half of its HP away in one go.

Also, if the big blast keeps killing you, use Shining or Alisa's Heavenly gift to keep the insight status up. Despite what it looks like, the attack is physical and can be evaded.

i want to do this. Also I'll keep insight and def boosts in mind.

ed: the big blast keeps -mostly- killing me. Full health people tend to survive barely, slightly injured people MIGHT depending on who it is. Then Seraphic Ring undoes what the bad man did.

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 23, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

your party is decided for you for 50% of the game and you get link points for being in combat together/linking up in combat also so you wind up with everyone doing whatever

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Overbite posted:

Actually you could argue that silver was the right color for the mind-family of quartz all along. Mirage is the element of the mind after all. Even the two mirage spells you saw in FC (Chaos Brand and Silver Thorn) hit the target with confusion.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

many johnnys posted:

It'd take effort to level him up, I'm willing to do it but I spread my dudes out since both the badman and goons can hit everybody. I guess if I kill all the goons then the regen will offset the boss damage. I already have the huge heal that's fullscreen and includes regen though, so that's alright.

I was thinking of having Emma use her "everybody's defense is maxed now (except mine)" skill. Just get her farther away to solve that little problem.

I have the quartz but it's not leveled to five. From what I've been reading itt, it makes item heals AOE? If so I might grind it up a bit. It should be at like 4.5 by now.

i want to do this. Also I'll keep insight and def boosts in mind.

ed: the big blast keeps -mostly- killing me. Full health people tend to survive barely, slightly injured people MIGHT depending on who it is. Then Seraphic Ring undoes what the bad man did.

Just run back from the final checkpoint to the first, fighting everything you see. Your quartz will be 5 by the time you get there and you can just teleport back. Items are really, really good in CS and Moebius quartz puts them over. Frankly once that's done you can do nothing but spam Zeram Capsules and then the 200CP S-Breaks over and over again.

edit: If you're still having trouble, make sure your dudes have impede quartz 2 equipped. Use the specials that have a Delay +x component. You can seriously keep him from attacking if you're fast enough, at least on Normal. While your 3 attackers are doing that, have your healer throw buff food/zeram items so you never run out of juice. And if you an afflict him with blaze do it. Each tick does so much of his life, he can kill himself just by getting a turn if you can keep yourself alive.

double edit: dumb point, but in case you didn't realize you can actually leave the schoolhouse and go do stuff like upgrade weapons, buy supplies and if you have the Zemurian Ore, you can make the best weapons for some folks. If you haven't done that, it's worth doing - there are three ores in the dungeon you can pick up off the ground so that's one ultimate weapon right there.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 23, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
This is apparently how links transfer

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Oddly enough I don't actually recall that much about bonding events in CS2....then again I have been skimming the events since #japanese.

Assuming I'm reading it correctly, basically there is no link transfer.

Honestly speaking, it's kind of weird, but I did kind of wish that there would be bigger effects from transfers.

Actually a good question would be, does anyone really play the game without transferring data anyway? It doesn't really seem to make sense that way (I wouldn't be surprised if it still happened since, well, things happen)

It'd be really ironic (and probably a spectacular failure) if there was like, a sequel where you had to transfer data or the game wouldn't let you start at all.

Honestly speaking I'm not too sure about all the developments in the game, but I'm fairly interested to see the transfers into CS3.

Of course we still know like nothing about CS3 unfortunately. Only time will tell.

(Still wishing that they fix the system, as it is, Chrono Burst and Moebius are just absurdly broken, before even getting into the other 101 things)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

(Still wishing that they fix the system, as it is, Chrono Burst and Moebius are just absurdly broken, before even getting into the other 101 things)

In an RPG like this, there will always be a best and most optimal strategy anyway. I don't mind there being ridiculously broken things in the game when you can just choose not to use them. Some would probably see broken strategies existing as valuable, too, as it's fun to stumble onto such things randomly while playing and then feeling really good about yourself.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Amppelix posted:

In an RPG like this, there will always be a best and most optimal strategy anyway. I don't mind there being ridiculously broken things in the game when you can just choose not to use them. Some would probably see broken strategies existing as valuable, too, as it's fun to stumble onto such things randomly while playing and then feeling really good about yourself.

This was pretty much how I felt while playing. Looking at some item or quartz and idly thinking "You know, if I used this with this other thing, that could be pretty broken!", then giving it a go and finding that yes, this combination was indeed incredibly broken was good fun. Encouraged me to explore the combat system a bit more than finding one thing that worked and sticking with it, since I knew that there was probably some way to exploit whatever thing I decided to try.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

many johnnys posted:

As people have said, the big blast and most of his attacks are physical. I beat the boss by abusing Adamantine Shield - I had Rean and Laura beat the boss down while Emma shielded them every turn and Alisa fed them CP. I found it more reliable and less resource-intensive than keeping Insight up.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voDxgLC3iQ0

The opening to Ys 8. They seemed to have upped the production values a tiny bit since Memories of Celceta, but not by much.

That opening song though is amazing work.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I dunno man, I was waiting for them to rock out (as they tend to) but it never happened! Disappointed.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I dunno man, I was waiting for them to rock out (as they tend to) but it never happened! Disappointed.

I find when they "rock out" for it to get a little generic, mainly due to power metal being a static genre of music, as well as them going for that every single time lately. It's nice to hear them tone it back a bit and give us kind of a more moderate symphonic leitmotif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the nayuta no kiseki op, where it never quite reaches the point of "rocking out" or whatever as much as it just quickly builds up this really consistent, fun energy that i think fits the game very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP5eiEW7Uo8