Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
drat shame about Ghost Rider ending up in AoS instead of Netflix. I really would like to see him in a TV series. I have no desire to ever watch AoS though.

HIJK posted:

The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk is not an interesting character to me, and I don't really want to see more of him.

Luckily, you are in an extreme minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Barry Convex posted:

I seem to be the only person who thought the second half of S3 was better than either the first half of S3 or the second half of S2.

You might be. I ditched AoS about 5 episodes in when it originally aired, but I gave it another shot in the middle of season 2 and I ended up turning around on it completely. I think the second half of season 2 is by far the strongest part of the whole series. Ward and Mr. Hyde were just great characters all around and the S2 finale was genuinely surprising.

Season 3 was pretty good, but it got predictable. I missed being genuinely surprised. Although the death foreshadowing and fake-out was pretty well done.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I tiny part of me is holding out hope that Ghost Rider will be the break out character that crosses the Netflix TV line that seems to exist. He's a big enough character to do it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Skwirl posted:

No, no you aren't going to trick me into watching AoS again.

It's not a trick. It's better than all the DC shows put together.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Little Mac posted:

It's not a trick. It's better than all the DC shows put together.

It's not better than iZombie. But it's better than the others yes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

drat shame about Ghost Rider ending up in AoS instead of Netflix. I really would like to see him in a TV series. I have no desire to ever watch AoS though.

RIP to Ghost Rider being cool.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Since its Neil Gaiman, the trailer for The American Gods series is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoXURn9oK0

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

Since its Neil Gaiman, the trailer for The American Gods series is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoXURn9oK0

I think it looks pretty good but the only weird thing is that I always imagined Shadow as having more hair. :D

(No doubt somebody will now post a description from the book that proves me completely wrong.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only real concrete description of Shadow is that he's a big muscle-y guy. Also that he looks vaguely ethnic.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The only real concrete description of Shadow is that he's a big muscle-y guy. Also that he looks vaguely ethnic.

I was curious how they'd cast the ethnicity, as pretty much everyone guesses something different. "You got some Indian blood in you?", etc.

In my head I'd always envisioned Odin / Wednesday as being a more expansive man, though again I'm sure that someone can post a description that will contradict that. I'm sold on the casting now, though. This is what's going to make me break down and get Starz.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

I tiny part of me is holding out hope that Ghost Rider will be the break out character that crosses the Netflix TV line that seems to exist. He's a big enough character to do it.

Not this Ghost Rider.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really hoped they wouldn't cast a black dude because holy poo poo is a black man named Shadow some of the most cringe-inducingly bad Neil Gaiman bad bad bad no Neil Gaiman god I can't believe you wrote this loving book in this loving century bad bad no bad no bad no naming.

I, alternatively, would've been absolutely fine if they cast a black dude and renamed him literally anything else because 1) Shadow's not a loving name 2) the "symbolic meaning" of the name is so goddamn on the nose it actually buries deep into your brain as you realize the totally boring and featureless main character who has absolutely no personality is actually named loving Shadow are you serious Neil Gaiman 3) seriously, a black character named Shadow are you serious. But since this project has been in development forever and they kept referring to casting "Shadow" that ship done sailed a long time ago.

In any case American Gods is actually a pretty messy at best book, not the least of which because the main character is about as interesting as unbuttered toast, so I'm not much looking forward to it. Even beyond the horrible optics of having a black dude convicted of the murder of his white wife named Shadow as that main character.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think you're making way too big a deal of it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, he's the main character and everyone refers to him as that for the duration of the novel. It's not like, a nickname or something, that's the only name by which he is referred from start to finish.

The optics were ignorable in the book itself because his race was actually undefined (he's some variation of dark-skinned but even that could've been a tan or particularly ruddy skin), but it's gonna throw into stark relief how tone deaf the source material comes across when once a week you're subjected to the most Black Character in Media story ever starring a character who, going off the book, just stands around and feels sad about his dead wife, and/or is directed to do things by other characters as a glorified servant.

Unless they make significant book changes (and everything I've read about the TV project says that they're not beyond more of a focus on the Gods vignettes), it's gonna be real unpleasant. It's more of a microcosm of the failures of the book how the name is a really dumb bit of obvious symbolism that, when being translated to another medium, should've been changed if they were dead-set on casting a black actor to play him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

I think you're making way too big a deal of it.

Yes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Toxxupation posted:

In any case American Gods is actually a pretty messy at best book, not the least of which because the main character is about as interesting as unbuttered toast, so I'm not much looking forward to it. Even beyond the horrible optics of having a black dude convicted of the murder of his white wife named Shadow as that main character.

Shadow wasn't convicted of killing his wife, he gets out of jail a couple days early so he can attend her funeral after she dies in a car accident.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 23, 2016

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
An accident directly caused by her infidelity, which was at least somewhat related to Shadow being out of the picture, having taken the fall for a robbery that he, his wife, and I believe the friend she was being unfaithful with had committed as a team. (It's been a bit since I read the book so that last bit might be hazy.)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
John Barrowman continues his reign as King of ComicCon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Don't forget:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Huh, for some reason I thought Shadow looked more like Nathan Explosion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

wyntyr posted:

An accident directly caused by her infidelity, which was at least somewhat related to Shadow being out of the picture, having taken the fall for a robbery that he, his wife, and I believe the friend she was being unfaithful with had committed as a team. (It's been a bit since I read the book so that last bit might be hazy.)

What happened was that Laura convinced Shadow to go in on a robbery where Shadow would be the getaway driver. The guys who did the robbery stiffed them of their share so Shadow beat the poo poo out of them. To keep Laura out of the picture they all agreed to spin it that Shadow just beat them up for some other reason.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

He's here to eat nuts and kick butts ruin shows and be overexposed!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rocksicles posted:

I thought Anna Kendrick was perfect casting and then I saw this.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

He's here to eat nuts and kick butts ruin shows and be overexposed!

I'm not going to blame him for that. He seems like a nice guy who is smart enough to take the pay checks when they come. :smith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't blame him either, I just thought of wordplay and had to share with the class. That SG costume is on point though. Where does a grown rear end man find a Squirrel Girl costume?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

TwoPair posted:

Where does a grown rear end man find a Squirrel Girl costume?

I don't think its too difficult for a professional TV actor to get in contact with a costume designer.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You might be. I ditched AoS about 5 episodes in when it originally aired, but I gave it another shot in the middle of season 2 and I ended up turning around on it completely. I think the second half of season 2 is by far the strongest part of the whole series. Ward and Mr. Hyde were just great characters all around and the S2 finale was genuinely surprising.

Season 3 was pretty good, but it got predictable. I missed being genuinely surprised. Although the death foreshadowing and fake-out was pretty well done.

Setting aside S3, I'm surprised you prefer the second half of S2 to the first. It suffered greatly from the dull SHIELD 2 storyline and the lack of a clearly defined central antagonist until the last couple episodes.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I don't blame Barrowman at all. I blame the same people who gave us Olicity, the writers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Actually that would be the audience.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

I don't think its too difficult for a professional TV actor to get in contact with a costume designer.

Touche

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rumor is that Chris Wood is going to be Mon-El in Supergirl.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Legion trailer out. Production value looks pretty good. Wonder if that is all pilot stuff (it probably is.)

http://comicbook.com/2016/07/23/first-legion-trailer-shown-at-comic-con/

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

Legion trailer out. Production value looks pretty good. Wonder if that is all pilot stuff (it probably is.)

That looks dope. FX is real good at TV.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

ToastyPotato posted:

Wow, that actually looks good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

King Burgundy posted:

Wow, that actually looks good.

It's from Noah Hawley, it will be very good.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
It looks incredible, the team behind it is known for good things. Legion has always been a boring character to me but this seems like it'll be downright fun to play watch and with the right cast, could be really engaging.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Here's the trailer for the next season of Flash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGfNDFILyYU

Pros:
-That "Now who's the villain" line worked like hell
-The alt universe could be really interesting
-They're doing things with Wally

Cons:
-The Flashpoint line....man, I feel like they could've done it better
-That Kid Flash costume just doesn't work

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 24, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

More Reverse Flash taunting Barry is always good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TwoPair posted:

I don't blame him either, I just thought of wordplay and had to share with the class. That SG costume is on point though. Where does a grown rear end man find a Squirrel Girl costume?

He's probably got people sending him requests to make his costumes every week.

He's pretty keen on dress ups.