Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I don't recall: was Pinky the Wunderkind always a fixture in Radio Patrol, or was he phased in later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dick_Tracy_Show posted:

The Dick Tracy Show is an American animated television series based on Chester Gould's comic strip crime fighter. The series was produced from 1961 to 1962 by UPA.

(...)

A crook was created for the cartoon (who was never a comic strip villain) named Cheater Gunsmoke (ironically has the same initials as Dick Tracy creator Chester Gould) appeared in two episodes. Gunsmoke was a Texas-sounding cigar smoker with a literal cloud of smoke surrounding his head

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail

You see the undocumented island about which not much is known doesn't have stinging ants because

This reads like a comic a child draws about a teacher they don't like. "Ow, these ants are stinging me!. Oh no, now I'm falling off of a cliff! And at the bottom of the cliff is a cactus patch! And now I'm being eaten alive by coyotes! If only I hadn't failed Mark's science fair project!"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

This is terrible, but not quite as terrible as the comments.

Dilbert

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

This is grounding? He still gets to gently caress around in his neighborhood with his friends until four and he doesn't even have to leave them and go inside until dinner? This doesn't even prevent him from climbing trees and jerking off to his neighbors.

Green Intern posted:

I don't recall: was Pinky the Wunderkind always a fixture in Radio Patrol, or was he phased in later?

He's been with us at least since I've been posting the strip, but I didn't start at the beginning of publication.

Luann

I was going to say that worthless-slut-in-training Shannon is now wearing more clothes than she was before, but checking back shows that she came in with a pair of dark tights. Even so, this is a nice and selfless gesture on Tiff's part to give a neglected child some love and attention*, for which she will surely be shat upon.

*Worth noting that Brad and Toni, who are supposed to be Shannon's surrogate parents, emotional support, and solid foundation, and who are aware that Shannon is going through a potentially devastating moment right now, aren't even paying enough attention to her to have noticed a full-on makeover happening.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Spoil me, Spidey nerds! Why does that name ring a bell?

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Jules is the mayor. I'm sure arrangements can be made. But even if she doesn't, poors somehow manage to get married all the time.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Spoil me, Spidey nerds! Why does that name ring a bell?

That's Egghead, which means we're probably going to get an Ant-Man appearance.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Bizarro

This is terrible, but not quite as terrible as the comments.

It seems like, possibly, if you squint a bit, Piraro's heart is in the right, misguided, "poorly phrased to the point of making queerness seem like some kind of opt-in thing what even the gently caress" place. I say that mostly buoyed by the assumption that whatever's in those comments is definitely not coming from the right place.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (June 29, 1951)

Barnaby (December 4, 1942)

Nancy (August 13, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (April 26, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (May 11, 1923)

Barney Google (May 12, 1922)

Alley Oop (August 11, 1933)

Lil' Abner (January 8, 1937)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I was going to say that worthless-slut-in-training Shannon is now wearing more clothes than she was before, but checking back shows that she came in with a pair of dark tights.

She may still be wearing them. We're probably only getting the colourist's best guess here, and Luann Sunday strips don't even continue the story, so we can't wait and use that as a reference.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (August 13, 1943)

The Knuckles Noonan saga has been consistently funny as hell, which makes modern Nancy all the more shameful.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Loss, Regret, Despair, And That Sinking Feeling When It All Falls Apart (Featuring Good Ol' Charlie Brown) (July 19, 1969)

The Tragic Climax Of The Boy Lisa Caper

Crankshaft

Tying Floyd Giebell into this lame story pretty much anchors at least the early part of Ed's career to 1940, which doesn't exactly make him Walt Wallet old (yet), but holy crap, it really makes you appreciate a sliding timeline in a continuity strip.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 5-6, 1929)

Thimble Theater (February 8, 1930)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

"The Mind" looks oddly like Bob Hope in that third panel.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Okay, I have to admire Hilary for getting all of "Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi" in that first panel.

On the other hand, the joke here is apparently "Mom is getting schnockered while coloring with her kid," which is a bit alarming.

Pros and Cons

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 22, 2016

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The MSJ posted:

Thank you for reminding me of the best character ever.

Who's talking about Big Time??

Pastry of the Year posted:

That's Egghead, which means we're probably going to get an Ant-Man appearance.

What's the difference between Marvel Egghead and '60s Batman Egghead? Aside from the latter being Vincent Fuckin' Price.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ensign_Ricky posted:

What's the difference between Marvel Egghead and '60s Batman Egghead? Aside from the latter being Vincent Fuckin' Price.

Instead of being obsessed with eggs, he's just a typical mad scientist(who's head just happens to be shaped like an egg-he and Dr. Robotnik should start a support group). Actually, he's very Dick Tracy-ish now that I think about it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The definitions of who you're supposed to like in Luann are very much like those in WWE wrestling.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

The definitions of who you're supposed to like in Luann are very much like those in WWE wrestling.

That actually explains everything - Gunther, for example, is the Roman Reigns.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (August 5-6, 1929)

I'm surprised to see 'red menace' used in a non-commie way

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Who's talking about Big Time??

Don't you mean Big Shot?

Actually, I don't remember which was which at this point.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Comics? Huh, who'd have though?

F Minus

Mary Worth

Do all advice columns provide nothing but blindingly obvious advice? I'm sure part of the attraction to them in real life is to read the questions and think, "Who's this idiot?" but I don't know if that's the main thing for most people.

Rex Morgan MD

He's gotta go fight crime as his alter-ego--I don't know--The Easel, maybe?

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Oh, is there a PS, Tommie? Thank you so loving much for pointing that out. LuAnn was just going to stop after the signature. Thank God you were here to let her know she had to continue to move her eyes a quarter inch or so further down to find there are some more words there, or she may have missed what is actually the majority of the message, taking up fully half of the card. What would we do without you, Tommie?

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 22, 2016

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I was going to say that worthless-slut-in-training Shannon is now wearing more clothes than she was before, but checking back shows that she came in with a pair of dark tights. Even so, this is a nice and selfless gesture on Tiff's part to give a neglected child some love and attention*, for which she will surely be shat upon.

*Worth noting that Brad and Toni, who are supposed to be Shannon's surrogate parents, emotional support, and solid foundation, and who are aware that Shannon is going through a potentially devastating moment right now, aren't even paying enough attention to her to have noticed a full-on makeover happening.

quote:

Ok, it was nice of Tiffany to try, and to give Shannon her jewelry and tutu. But too much fact paint for a little kid…

quote:

Well, at least she didnt go all heavy on the eye shadow. Then, in that case, Shannon might as well had changed her name to Mimi, and moved to Cleveland….

quote:

At this age, the makeup pulled Shannon’s thoughts away from her no – show dad. Kudos to Tiff.
In the future, Shannon will add all these things up and realize how many times her dad has bailed on her. Better for Brad and Toni not to say things against her dad, Jonah. She will realize them all in good time on her own…

quote:

You’re right about Shannon, letting her work out her feelings, not poisoning her in regard to her outlook on her Dad (a situation running similar to custody battles between parents)….
-
And also, unfortunately, it’s one more time that Toni is left to ‘clean up any messes’, and to bear the brunt of care and responsibility, and also one more tick mark on her list of times that Jonah has let his sister down, as well (which she sadly has gotten used to)….

quote:

“Dude, Where’s My Dad?”
“Ring Around The Caller”
“Scratch One For ‘Cats’ "
“Not- So -Great Expectations”
“A Piece Of The Distraction”
“Color Commentary”
“Ring Around The Rosy Cheeks”
“A No-Show For The Show”
“Clock, Stock And Borrow”
“Tick…Tick…Tick….Ticked Off”
“Keeping Your Disappointments”
“P’ain’t Misbehavin’ "(♬)
“Makeover….And Over”
“A Hero’s Embrace, In A Pinch”
“A Sparkle Plug”
“Running On Dazzle Fuel, In The Clutch”
or
“All The World’s A Stage, And He’s On The Moon”

fort knox

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

treasureplane posted:

Lil' Abner (January 8, 1937)

:allears: That's a fine elephant.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yesterday at work I saw somebody with a tin of these. What the hell?

Six Chix

I've tipped over 100% before, loving suck it :flip:

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
I Wish I Were Gary Larson, or, Foolish Mortals

Curse of the Undead! or, Scary Gary

Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Odonata posted:

Ye Olde Fox Trot

You know, given the whole Gamergate thing, this storyline is really something now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

On the other hand, the joke here is apparently "Mom is getting schnockered while coloring with her kid," which is a bit alarming.
I should definitely not start posting The Pajama Diaries. At least once a week the "joke" is "mothers are perpetually drunk".

Lowen SoDium posted:

Don't you mean Big Shot?
Big Shot was a nobody. Big Time was the best. His name Was Bigelow and he "did time". So he had a clock gun. And he tied Jonah to a giant clock, which he tried to drop on Jonah's new girlfriend, Maria Lopez, because Maria was his ex-wife. Also he had one of his henchmen dress up as Spider-Man to commit crimes so they could frame the real Spider-Man for them, because Spider-Man was the one who got him sent to jail originally.

And then the thing happened in the real Spider-Man comics where Peter sold his marriage to MJ to the devil, and the newspaper comic did a reset and Peter was back in school, but that turned out to be a dream and he's still an adult and married to MJ, but Maria Lopez had vanished and was never mentioned again. Which is tragic.

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Oh, is there a PS, Tommie? Thank you so loving much for pointing that out. LuAnn was just going to stop after the signature. Thank God you were here to let her know she had to continue to move her eyes a quarter inch or so further down to find there are some more words there, or she may have missed what is actually the majority of the message, taking up fully half of the card. What would we do without you, Tommie?
Well, this is Lu Ann we're talking about.

This is bullshit. Tap a cat-food can or shake the box/bag and watch it come running.

Reply All

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
gently caress you, Piraro.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set goes for substance over style.

Working Daze is about Pokemon Go! Did you know that Pokemon Go was popular?

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix has a valid point.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Tiggum posted:

Big Shot was a nobody. Big Time was the best. His name Was Bigelow and he "did time". So he had a clock gun. And he tied Jonah to a giant clock, which he tried to drop on Jonah's new girlfriend, Maria Lopez, because Maria was his ex-wife. Also he had one of his henchmen dress up as Spider-Man to commit crimes so they could frame the real Spider-Man for them, because Spider-Man was the one who got him sent to jail originally.

BAH! Clown 9 was the best Spider-Man villain, and I refuse to be told otherwise!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

The Tragic Climax Of The Boy Lisa Caper

Remember kids, stock up on spare nibs.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

This is where, if this weren't a comic strip, both armies would unite to flatten the natives.

Radio Patrol

*sad trombone*

And again! *sad trombone*

Rip Kirby

Dare I cue another *sad trombone*?

Big Ben Bolt

Really, this is just too many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84wp_zoP5v8

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail Meets the Feather Fall Spell

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

She looks more like she's exaggeratedly relaxed than in any kind of pain or distress.

Not only is it really weird to say her full name like that, it doesn't even mean anything since the Nomad has no idea that the Phantom is Kit Walker. :doh:

Also, I assume they're meant to be the same age, but Kadia looks much older.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine
Gotta hand it to Pastis for giving Pig the right gun.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

SomeMathGuy posted:

That actually explains everything - Gunther, for example, is the Roman Reigns.

can't wait for the storyline where Gunther turns up to work high as gently caress

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiggum posted:

SomeMathGuy posted:

She looks more like she's exaggeratedly relaxed than in any kind of pain or distress.
It takes a lot of training to fall from a cliff and hit ground in a sexy pose.

Reminds me of a classic.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 23, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Does Judge Parker have his own airplane? Or that pauper Rex Morgan? I didn't think so. :smuggo:

Ewww, this means she's one of those chinese nouveau riche people.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

You know, Andertoons is one of the most consistently good comics in the thread

Pluggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU