Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think I remember an interview with him in the 90s where he said that his favorite thing to do on a Friday night was watch Beavis & Butt-head and laugh himself silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's basically not very good:

i) it's slow as gently caress, and apart from the 6/10 hotel fight, and the 8.5/10 church fight.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Blazing Ownager posted:

He did back then too. Despite what everyone thinks of Patrick Stewart, he's into things like dirt racing (seriously) and kept wanting more of an action part. He's pretty much nothing at all like the roles he's famous for, made even more notable by the fact he's actually really good at comedy.

He almost left the show in like the 3rd season even.

Yeah, Stewart's had a pretty varied career away from Trek, being known as one the best Shakespearian actors in the business isn't a bad legacy.

For some reason I always figured Richard O'Brien for Herr Starr, but he's now 75 and starting to look his age, sadly. Ten or fifteen years ago, maybe.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

osietra posted:

It's basically not very good:

i) it's slow as gently caress, and apart from the 6/10 hotel fight, and the 8.5/10 church fight.

Well your review isn't very good either

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The only way the hotel fight can be rated as a 6 is if it's on a 1 to 5 scale.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq3JeRfju3I

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
That's a pretty spoilerific trailer. Looks like it's headed more toward the books, the diner scene looks very reminiscent of the first scene in the books, then "road trip!". Unfortunately I have a feeling the Saint is gonna pretty much be the final scene of season 1.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

counterfeitsaint posted:

The only way the hotel fight can be rated as a 6 is if it's on a 1 to 5 scale.

And there's still a disarticulated seraphin in the bath.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I get the feeling the cliffhanger of the season's going to be The Saint of Killers showing up

Jerusalem posted:

That scene of Odin holding a cow's guts in one hand and his daughter's in the other demanding to know the difference between the two was just horrifying. It actually made me feel some sympathy for the psychotic little bastard.

Spuckuk posted:

"It's all just meat"

Jesus Christ that was dark.

I can't help to feel that they lifted that from somewhere though. It seemed so familiar. Can't remember where read or saw in somewhere else. Frankenstein, I think.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 24, 2016

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Maelstache posted:

For some reason I always figured Richard O'Brien for Herr Starr, but he's now 75 and starting to look his age, sadly. Ten or fifteen years ago, maybe.

Terry O'Quinn wouldn't be a bad back-up if he could get the accent right.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just rewatched Terminator 2 and grown-rear end man Jesse Custer sure takes his sweet time to learn something that ten-year-old John Connor catches on to in like five minutes. :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That was a really pretty song :unsmith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sure was a killing spree.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's an actual 1984 Macintosh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

drat, this is ice cold.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
oh my gosh Emily :o:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
What a nice big snack she gave cassidy :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WTF, is that the place Walt met the vacuum cleaner guy?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

muscles like this? posted:

drat, this is ice cold.

What did mayor guy do to piss her off? I must've missed it.

"What about my comics" haha.

Pretty sure that's the spot Jesse waited at in Breaking Bad too, looks just like it if it isn't.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Uh, did anyone else get that bizarre penis enlargement pill ad?

Edit: You can't "free" guinea pigs.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 25, 2016

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

They must really have no faith in the attention span of their viewers.

e: ehh, okay.

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2016

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I probably should of seen that coming before the font popped up, but somehow it didn't click until I saw the shoes step out of the door.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sweeet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That shot was pretty blatant but what nailed it for me was the dog crossing the street.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NowonSA posted:

Apart from being clingy and not being Jessie, I didn't get it either. Felt like a pretty huge jump in the character for me.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

NowonSA posted:

"What about my comics" haha.

Pretty sure that's the spot Jesse waited at in Breaking Bad too, looks just like it if it isn't.

Note the scene she was watching in Psycho with Janet Lee and Anthony Hopkins' characters talking about being isolated and entrapped. The Mayor was a trap in her life and something she never would've escaped if he hadn't died. She would've gone through her entire life in that screwed up quasi-relationship with him and likely never would've gotten past it so she ended it the only way she knew how.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Is that it for the season?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Vanderdeath posted:

Note the scene she was watching in Psycho with Janet Lee and Anthony Hopkins' characters talking about being isolated and entrapped. The Mayor was a trap in her life and something she never would've escaped if he hadn't died. She would've gone through her entire life in that screwed up quasi-relationship with him and likely never would've gotten past it so she ended it the only way she knew how.

Yeah, I mean I get that angle of it, and he was just like "I'm coming and sleeping over" kind of dominating her and taking away her choice in the matter, but straight up murder is a hell of a step up. I mean it's in line with the crazy world of preacher, but it still seems like a hell of a step up for this mostly normal and nice lady.

It's not like she's been shown to like Cassidy or anything either, so it's clearly just her wanting him dead. I dunno, just kind of looking for more of a reason here, other than being a preacher character makes you 10x more likely to kill people.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Throwdown posted:

Is that it for the season?

No, there's one more episode.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok im just halfway though this ep but gently caress what a live action nightmare this is.

I think the stride is officially found (2 eps ago really but im rolling)

edit: hahaha that Tulip reveal and where she was/what she was doing was awesome

edit2: HOLY poo poo IM GLAD THIS IS GETTING ANOTHER SEASON

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 25, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Data Graham posted:

WTF, is that the place Walt met the vacuum cleaner guy?

I loved it, Walter and Jesse took a trip to hell. This show is the best. :allears:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really think they should have trimmed a minute off the Cowboy's repeat when they were showing the loop. That felt a little long.

Everything else was great though. Though I did expect Cassidy to show a little more remorse for killing a dude, given it was his own fault kind of.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

the_american_dream posted:

I think the stride is officially found (2 eps ago really but im rolling)

edit2: HOLY poo poo IM GLAD THIS IS GETTING ANOTHER SEASON

Yep. That it did. Think I was fairly indifferent till 2 or 3 episodes ago. The Ratwater Saint scene grabbed me but freakin Odin Quincannon was the thing that got me to be really hooked. Really hope he survives this season. Wouldn't mind him popping back in the series later along.
Amen to a second season.
Also I'm glad that one Ratwater preacher used a LeMat (when he shot the Saint's horse). Never see enough of that gun.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I really think they should have trimmed a minute off the Cowboy's repeat when they were showing the loop. That felt a little long.

Everything else was great though. Though I did expect Cassidy to show a little more remorse for killing a dude, given it was his own fault kind of.

Its funny as that minute carried it over for me. I started off like "meh - this takes away from the opener", then irritation went to eye rolling but towards the end it started becoming a little disturbing. The bit after the cycle stopped, with overhead shot panning over all those dead patrons was just perfect. I really dig the Saint of Killers scenes far more than I thought I would.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The loop ran a little long (it was pretty obvious what they were going for when they repeated it the first time) but even though the HELL text popping up should have irritated me for belaboring the point, I ended up loving it, especially since it plays off the previous times of bringing up RATWATER as the text. Along with the sound sting it gave me a nice The Shining vibe.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Of course, he's not the Saint of Killers yet, he's still just a damned soul. Hell didn't look cold. My guess is when Fiore tries to leave with him, we might get to see the Devil. I mean, the soon-to-be SoK is probably Hell's number one generator of misery in that he gets to relive not only the worst day of his life, but they also get to harvest the joy he gets from killing everyone over and over for all eternity like a homicidal Sisyphus with a bottomless bottle of whiskey.

My guess is the moment he leaves Hell, it'll freeze over because he's the fire they've all been huddled around. Eugene will appear to Jesse again and let him know that "shumwon sthurned tshe ahr cundishunning on."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 25, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That episode was a pretty good ride. Whatshername sacrificing the mayor to Cassidy seemed a bit extreme for her character; sure he's a bit of a dick, but she was sleeping with him right? And she even called him her boyfriend, although maybe she was just bullshitting to cover when talking to Tulip. I mean she clearly didn't love him, but sacrificing him to Cassidy seems a bit much.

Everything with the SoK was amazing. Ohhhh poo poo. That "HELL" reveal. You think the angels are going after Arseface to appease Jesse, and then twist, nope, they're going after the SoK. That whole groundhog-day sequence was pretty trippy and well done.

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

:tviv:
As a fan of Dillon these last twenty years or so, I'm shocked to learn that he CAN draw faces if he tries. There's at least four or five different faces between them seven people. Now if only Dominic Cooper can put as much effort into staying in his Texas accent consistently.

(edit)

Hahaha, these are great.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Whatshername sacrificing the mayor to Cassidy seemed a bit extreme for her character; sure he's a bit of a dick, but she was sleeping with him right? And she even called him her boyfriend, although maybe she was just bullshitting to cover when talking to Tulip. I mean she clearly didn't love him, but sacrificing him to Cassidy seems a bit much.

I was pretty thrown by that decision as well, but I look at it like this:

-The god she's devoted to is nothing short of awful.
-She recently found out vampires are not only real, but one is living in her guest bedroom.
-The scene from Psycho
-Her boyfriend is a Quincannon toadie, and thus an affront to said awful god she's devoted to.
-Giving Cassidy a human's worth of blood drastically reduces the immediate threat he poses to her (and everyone else's) personal safety.
-He's pretty much the only large, fleshy, object she could get in the house without attracting much attention.
-She has not-so-secretly been an awful person this entire time, like everyone else in the show but Cassidy, who is an awful person overtly, making him the show's moral center.
-MEAT FOR THE MEAT GOD!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I actually could see her wanting to save some animals' lives over that of someone who has basically been courting her by saying, "You are never going to do better than me, so just accept it and stop fighting." I mean, gently caress that poo poo.

I mean, it was cold as hell, and I'm willing to admit that I think it was too far. I would have accepted something like her trying to get him to help with something but it all goes to poo poo and then in an act of desperation she locks him in the room or something. But this was totally premeditated. Like just have him be all controlling and lame, come over to the house and dig his own grave.

I am really happy that Cassi and Jesse are buds again :3:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Man, I think I have to rewatch this because im not sure where yall are getting the Mayor being some dominant creepy predator. Hes basically been just a lovesick puppy clinging on to the bone shes throwing him of casual sex and the one time he tries to assert himself and become more than her human dildo she sacrifices him to a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JossiRossi posted:

I mean, it was cold as hell, and I'm willing to admit that I think it was too far. I would have accepted something like her trying to get him to help with something but it all goes to poo poo and then in an act of desperation she locks him in the room or something. But this was totally premeditated. Like just have him be all controlling and lame, come over to the house and dig his own grave.

Yeah, exactly. That would have played out much better.

Even better, have him show up loving uninvited, try to get her to sleep with him, she tries to brush him off, he keeps pushing it, and then she asks him to help her with something in the other room.... blam. That'd work better. Basically have him try to rape her and have her use Cassidy as a weapon to defend herself.

But instead she calls him up all premeditated. Murder, even indirect murder by another person, seems just a bit extreme for her.

I get that the whole town's hosed up, but if this wasn't Preacher-ville it would make zero sense. Her character isn't perfect for sure, but she's no stone cold killer.

the_american_dream posted:

Man, I think I have to rewatch this because im not sure where yall are getting the Mayor being some dominant creepy predator. Hes basically been just a lovesick puppy clinging on to the bone shes throwing him of casual sex and the one time he tries to assert himself and become more than her human dildo she sacrifices him to a monster.

It was very subtle up until now and could have kinda gone either way. We know he kept trying to insert himself more into her life, he wanted to stay over and make a big show of it to the kids, but she wanted him to just scoot afterwards. But that could just mean that she liked him but wanted to keep it a secret.

We find out for sure though that he's a bit of a controlling dick when he's talking to her on the phone this episode and saying how he's definitely going to stay the night this time and she didn't really have any say in it. He's being very forceful and controlling. He wants to be her husband and play daddy for her kids; that much is obvious. And he knows she doesn't want it, but he's tired of her resisting and doesn't care.

Still, he doesn't say that until she's already called him up, and already premeditated that she's going to kill him. And even then, its not like he was saying "I'm gonna rape you", he's just saying "Hey I'm going to stay over and let your kids know I'm here whether you like it or not" which is bad, but... IDK. It was a little awkwardly handled and could have been better if it was more subtle like JossiRossi suggested.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 25, 2016

• Locked thread