Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, replacing a transexual character with a woman is progressive now.
Frank N Furter is considered a problematic portrayal these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Al Cowens posted:

Frank N Furter is considered a problematic portrayal these days

How will they deal with Dr- Scott being an ableist minstrel show character? And Rocky's sexual consent issues?

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

dear god what have we become

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh man I want some of that Salami.

same they can keep the "coke" though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, replacing a transexual character with a woman is progressive now.

I think he directly says that he is a transvestite in one of the songs?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

bongwizzard posted:

I think he directly says that he is a transvestite in one of the songs?

he's a sweet transvestite

but he's from a planet of transsexuals

so both?

also is the fake live theater audience gonna be an actual thing during the show? this will be a voyage into new frontiers of cringe

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Isn't that person actually transgendered? Iirc

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

he's a sweet transvestite

but he's from a planet of transsexuals

so both?

also is the fake live theater audience gonna be an actual thing during the show? this will be a voyage into new frontiers of cringe

But his planet hates him, right? So maybe on his planet he is the oppressed minority?

And ya, holy poo poo that will be impossible to watch. I will cop to being into RHPS in high school but back then it was really my first window into anything remotely transgressive and exposed me to the wonders of aggressively trampy theatre chicks, so I have no regrets.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

boy if even rocky horror is deemed problematic...

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Uncle Wemus posted:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CelticPredator posted:

Isn't that person actually transgendered? Iirc

yes

Uncle Wemus posted:

welcome to the wacky world of tumblr activism, we got an attic filled with problems and we keep making more!

(basically anything that a normal person can enjoy has to be redefined as problematic so that they can continue to be hated and shunned. Rocky Horror is too mainstream, it's on cable all the time and the internet loves Tim Curry. Bad, wrong! It's problematic for a straight cis white man to portray a trans gay character! But it was cool when it was the thing that queer people went to midnight showings and got crazy at.)

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Uncle Wemus posted:

RuPaul is officially a poo poo lord now

Imagine being a literal tranny friend of the family human being that survived the brutal racism and homophobia of the 70s through 90s and manage to have a successful career despite all this and then having tumblr kids dogpile you over "shemale"

Transsexuality was turned into a retarded meme by idiots

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

when they remake jaws there will be riots in the streets.

It looks like the rights are still with Amblin (now called Amblin Partners, an amalgamation of Amblin, Dreamworks and Participant Media and part of the Universal group) and Spielberg said in an interview last year that he'll never remake any of his Amblin films. If anyone wants to remake Jaws they'd have a hell of a legal battle on their hands.
http://www.avclub.com/article/steven-spielberg-will-never-remake-jaws-might-rema-229953

Not that we need another shark film, what with films like The Shallows and SyFy's Sharknado quatrology and the Sharktopus trilogy etc flooding the market.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Al Cowens posted:

RuPaul is officially a poo poo lord now
for a group of people who freak out when they're misgendered, tumblrites sure do love gendered insults like "shitlord" and "fuckboy." btw "fuckboy" has its roots as a homophobic insult in early 2000s hip-hop

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

What? I thought being a Fuckboy was cool

Like drat, that dude fucks a lot, he's a gently caress boy

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Don Tacorleone posted:

What? I thought being a Fuckboy was cool

Like drat, that dude fucks a lot, he's a gently caress boy

that's a gently caressman

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Klyith posted:

God drat it, I knew I shouldn't have laminated my bucket list

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Klyith posted:

it was their bar mitzvah

Woden
May 6, 2006
Laverne Cox looks like she's having so much fun in that RHPS trailer.

Never saw the original and have no interest in the remake though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hollywood is so averse to any sort of risk that they let a remake of RHPS be a network tv movie

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

VideoGames posted:

Didn't she lick the guns in an overtly sexual manner? Good lord, whoever wrote this might not have properly watched the film.
:lol: You think they ever watched it at all before spouting their feminist bullshit. How naïve.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Out of loving nowhere, a Blair Witch Project sequel called Blair Witch that looks like it's basically the same exact movie beat for beat but with jump scares, sick special effects, more stick figures and black people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=girSv9UH_V8

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

jump scares make me more pissed off than scared

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Y-Hat posted:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Castor Poe posted:

Out of loving nowhere, a Blair Witch Project sequel called Blair Witch that looks like it's basically the same exact movie beat for beat but with jump scares, sick special effects, more stick figures and black people!

Good to see they managed to miss everything that made Blair Witch Project good. No need to waste money on this.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Y-Hat posted:

Jump scares are such a cheap loving trick.

The best jump scares are the ones with none of that wack soundtrack crescendo that is common now; like Leatherface opening that door in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and nailing that dude on his head with a sledgehammer, out of nowhere.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

more like the scared bitch project.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Castor Poe posted:

Sounds similar to the remake of Death at a Funeral that had an all black cast with the same plot minus the comedy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

awwwwwwwwwwwww,

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Sounds similar to the remake of Death at a Funeral that had an all black cast with the same plot minus the comedy.

Seriously that remake really didn't make sense. I get remaking like French or Korean films, but the original is an English film, did (OH wait Sony made it) never mind.....

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 23, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Crowsbeak posted:

awwwwwwwwwwwww,

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

It that a shoop?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Blair Witch is actually a sequel though. Bloody Disgusting loved it. Which doesn't mean anything but at least it's something.

Could be worse like that new Batman comic movie which adds a 30 minute prologue to it where Batgirl fucks Batman on a rooftop. To you know, add DEPTH to when Joker cripples her and then takes pictures of her undressed and crippled.

Vvvv because it's so mindbogglingly RETARDED it alone ruins the entire goddamned thing. Which already has issues to begin with. I mean I love the novel IT but there is one scene towards the end, like 5-6 pages that nearly destroys a 1000 page book. (Drugs are bad kids!). Vvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 23, 2016

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

Blair Witch is actually a sequel though. Bloody Disgusting loved it. Which doesn't mean anything but at least it's something.

Could be worse like that new Batman comic movie which adds a 30 minute prologue to it where Batgirl fucks Batman on a rooftop. To you know, add DEPTH to when Joker cripples her and then takes pictures of her undressed and crippled.

Actually, the loving only takes like half a minute or so. The rest is character development Its weird to see people zero in on a minuscule portion of a movie like that.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

lol gb2016 finished 5th yesterday

wrap it up, feigailures

client
Aug 19, 2010

Castor Poe posted:

adam wingard and simon barrett made you're next and the guest which were both really good so there's a chance this won't actually be total poo poo

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Uncle Wemus posted:

lol gb2016 finished 5th yesterday

wrap it up, feigailures

It's actually in a three way tie for third between Ice Age (which flopped) and Lights Out (which has had little to no marketing outside of generally positive reviews.) Star Trek is also having the lowest opening of the three in the series.

It's been a rough year for theaters. What's the next bomb in the pipeline, anyway?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

“There’s going to be an implosion where three or four or maybe even half a dozen of these mega-budgeted movies are going to go crashing into the ground, and that’s going to change the paradigm again.” -steven spielberg, 2013, via this article

now might be the time that he predicted, but i just can't see the paradigm shift happening

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Maybe not a total paradigm shift but likely even more reboots/sequels. With movies costing more every year sticking with an existing IP guarantees an existing fan base.

I'm fascinated with how many Chinese film production companies are popping up in this summer's films. Star Trek, the latest Independence Day, and I believe the latest TMNT movie has Chinese backers. It's going to be fun seeing their influence on our entertainment the next couple years.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Android Bicyclist posted:

Maybe not a total paradigm shift but likely even more reboots/sequels. With movies costing more every year sticking with an existing IP guarantees an existing fan base.
that's not a paradigm shift at all, it's doubling down on a business model that's already showing signs of failure. like i said, it's not happening

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Android Bicyclist posted:

I'm fascinated with how many Chinese film production companies are popping up in this summer's films. Star Trek, the latest Independence Day, and I believe the latest TMNT movie has Chinese backers. It's going to be fun seeing their influence on our entertainment the next couple years.

how about making cheaper movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

how about making cheaper movies
not throwing a nine digit budget at a big-name franchise movie is a sign of weakness

• Locked thread