Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

xezton posted:

"It's Always Ghosty in New York City".... that does sound pretty appealing. They would have to be on-point with the cast and writers though. On-point as gently caress.

Yeah, the fart, lowest common denominator comedy of the new ghostbusters totally reminds me of the satire of the outsider comedy IASIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I actually wonder if Feig and Dippold were given access to the cutscenes that were axed from The Video Game, because there was an entire level cut from the game that featured the Ghostbusters fighting possessed Thanksgiving Day Parade floats. (As I recall, it was removed because Terminal Reality couldn't get the crowd AI and the float physics working properly in time for release. But all the dialogue was recorded and the CG cutscenes were animated.)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Timby posted:

I actually wonder if Feig and Dippold were given access to the cutscenes that were axed from The Video Game, because there was an entire level cut from the game that featured the Ghostbusters fighting possessed Thanksgiving Day Parade floats. (As I recall, it was removed because Terminal Reality couldn't get the crowd AI and the float physics working properly in time for release. But all the dialogue was recorded and the CG cutscenes were animated.)

I actually thought about the video game too. Shame we will never get a sequel or game that plays like it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Dave posted:

Mighty No. 9 also got way too caught up in all the platforms they decided to support.

Keep the lovely analogies going though.

Ghostbusters 2016 is the not very good movie of movies that shouldn't have been made and are mediocre.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
what about this one

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

im sure the video game that nobody ever heard of was a key factor in this $200M+ project

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime is a video game nobody ever heard of. Ghostbusters: The Video Game however featured the likeness, voices and a script by the original cast members, two decades after Ghostbusters II. A key factor for this movie? Of course not. Did it play a key role in the eventual formation of Ghost Corps? Very, very likely.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

steinrokkan posted:

im sure the video game that nobody ever heard of was a key factor in this $200M+ project

You mean the video game written by Akroyd and Ramis, that made more money on release than the new movie did?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You mean the video game written by Akroyd and Ramis, that made more money on release than the new movie did?

It's really sad if it did because I hadn't heard about it before today!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Anyway, I've noticed lots of people are hoping that international revenue would save the new film from being a flop. Aside from the usual argument of "they are missing out on the sweet China buck", I'd argue that Ghostbusters isn't nearly as popular abroad as people like to imagine. It's pretty much an American cultural artefact with a very limited potential for grossing money outside North America - I mean, I'm a non-English European, and Ghostbusters are literally a cultural non-entity, the name just has no pull at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's certainly not true but it sold well for a B-tier release in 2009. Somehow multiplayer on Xbox is still going.

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's still on Steam. If you care about Ghostbusters you should check it out because it's pretty much the true Ghostbusters 3. There are lots of callbacks and fan service like fighting the Giant Sloar mentioned by Vinz Clortho.

The gameplay is basically Dead Space right down to your pack being the UI so they at least copied the formula of a good game despite all the technical issues.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, the fart, lowest common denominator comedy of the new ghostbusters totally reminds me of the satire of the outsider comedy IASIP.

You've got it backwards. That's why I said they'd have to nail the cast and writing, because neither the new nor the old movies' comedic styles would work in a series, in my opinion. I just pulled IASIP's title reference out of my rear end. Kind of like a fart.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

xezton posted:

You've got it backwards. That's why I said they'd have to nail the cast and writing, because neither the new nor the old movies' comedic styles would work in a Netflix series, in my opinion. I just pulled IASIP's title reference out of my rear end. Kind of like a fart.

Obviously. The problem is that the original movie is known for being smart in a subtle way, the Sunny show is known for being smart in a positively unsubtle way, and the Ghostbuster reboot is just devoid of any wit whatsoever, so there's no obvious connection to be made.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Have you heard of these fictional characters called The Ghostbusters?

Seriously though, I always thought the game was a pretty big deal. I even still have my recording of Dan Aykroyd's message he left for me when my copy was ready. :swoon:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69648/AykroydGamestop.mp3

steinrokkan posted:

Obviously. The problem is that the original movie is known for being smart in a subtle way, the Sunny show is known for being smart in a positively unsubtle way, and the Ghostbuster reboot is just devoid of any wit whatsoever, so there's no obvious connection to be made.

The "connection" is that I'd love to see a GB series if it was written to the same standards of a good comedy series.

xezton fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 22, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

xezton posted:

Have you heard of these fictional characters called The Ghostbusters?

Strangely the movie is somewhat better known than its video game adaptation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

xezton posted:

The "connection" is that I'd love to see a GB series if it was written to the same standards of a good comedy series.

Oh, I see, well, I'd like to see a TV show based on Adam Sandler's Jack and Jill that would live up to the comedy of Annie Hall.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Oh, I see, well, I'd like to see a TV show based on Adam Sandler's Jack and Jill that would live up to the comedy of Annie Hall.

I think we are both hosed then. :(

Although I can't say I've heard about this Annie Hall thing before today!

xezton fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 22, 2016

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
This film is edited horribly. Probably a three hour director cut coming out. Also, a lot of the shot composition is so poor, leaving frames unnaturally open and wide to capture whatever spontaneous acts of improvisation, results in some amateurish directing and framing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Death By The Blues posted:

This film is edited horribly. Probably a three hour director cut coming out. Also, a lot of the shot composition is so poor, leaving frames unnaturally open and wide to capture whatever spontaneous acts of improvisation, results in some amateurish directing and framing.

Yeah. I wouldn't mind a sequel with the same cast, but hopefully they replace Feig or he steps up his game considerably

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Applewhite posted:

Ghostbusters 2016 is the Mighty No. 9 of films.

Yep, checks out.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
This movie was pedestrian comedy at best. There's some fleeting hilarity , but that doesn't redeem the reboot.

$150m mediocre mess. Based on the box office results so far, I don't think we'll need to worry about a sequel.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

moolchaba posted:

$150m mediocre mess. Based on the box office results so far, I don't think we'll need to worry about a sequel.

It's going to have a really lackluster box office gross (it will make way way less money than the 1984 film, even without adjusting for inflation) but it's still on track to becoming Sony's second biggest film of the year behind Angry Birds. Also they not only sunk $150m into the film's production and $100m+ into the film's promotion but they've also sunk a chunk of cash into setting up the Ghost Corps production company and they've already announced an animated movie and an animated TV series.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sony's second biggest film of the year behind Angry Birds

christ

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
And "The mermaid" which was pretty much only released in China.

There's also "5th wave" and "Money monsters" which are slightly ahead, but only for a few more days, and given how bad the rest of Sony's releases for 2016 are looking, it's very likely Ghostbusters will end up as Sony's 3rd highest grossing film of the year.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

xezton posted:

I saw GB2016 last week and can say I'm happy with it.

I didn't go in with any expectation that it would be a great movie or even be as good as the original in any way shape or form. On its own, it had a few pretty good gags, and Patty certainly surprised me after seeing her horrible parts in the trailers. She ended up being cool as heck. Holtzmann was a good kind of weird, even if she did overdo it sometimes. Kevin was much more funny than I expected him to be. Gilbert and Yates were good for the friendship story arc. Yates had her moments (the "one shrimp" and "proper ratio of liquid to dumpling" jokes were waaaay more funny on screen than they were portrayed in the book) and I appreciated Gilbert's own personal redemption arc.

I personally don't give a gently caress about what race, gender, or sexual identity a ghostbuster has as long as they are at least sorta funny, pseudo-scientific, and bust ghosts.

I thought the cameos were tastefully done if maybe a bit ham-handed. I stopped liking Bill Murray a long time ago so I'm not surprised his cameo was my least favorite. Good on him, though, for getting exactly what he wanted. The Ozzy cameo was idiotic and I have no idea why it was even included.

I also thought it was neat how this version of the Ghostbusters weren't in it for the business/paycheck. It was more like a club, that just so happened to be first privately funded, and then government funded. It offered some tension (being constantly covered up yet dealing with it for funding) and made them out to be less like slimy gameshow hosts and car salesmen. They didn't want to become rich beyond their wildest dreams, they generally wanted to help people, and in the end they were recognized for it. Good stuff.

The new film was definitely missing that arcane, lovecraftian, demonic flavor that I enjoyed in the first two. We go from an ancient god bent on destroying the planet it was once banished from, to a mad and vengeful spirit of a sorcerer tyrant haunting an unforgettable painting bent on regaining his physical form to rule and torture the world....... to a basement dwelling janitor who read a book about ghosts and got picked on in school.

I was hoping Rowan would be a little more complex than that. His justification for his actions carries such little weight, I thought of him more as simply insane rather than having any sort of character I could at all relate to or even hate. I just felt sorry for the guy. I'm okay with how he turned out, but I wish they would have spent some more time world building and adding some depth to these characters. Even the ghosts. One exception is Gertrude Aldridge, who they gave a backstory and everything, and her ghost ended up looking and being pretty cool in my opinion. They should have been doing more of that (with some payoff of course).

I personally liked the neon blue ghost effects. The Mayhem dragon ghost looked pretty good, too. The end scene with giant Rowan had some cool parts (like him emerging from the building) but had a little too much going on. I even liked the way they blasted their way through all of the ghosts. Someone earlier mentioned that they didn't like how they were simply killing the ghosts rather than capturing and containing them. I think the new team was dealing with circumstances that excused them from that. First of all they didn't really have anywhere to contain ghosts other than a few traps. Second, they only wanted to trap them initially to prove ghosts were real. Once they caught on that an apocalypse was coming, they rightfully ditched the capture aspect and went for obliteration. The original Ghostbusters did the same thing when confronted with their final battles. No one trapped Gozer or Vigo and put them in the containment unit. They just hosed their poo poo up. Something tells me the new Ghostbusters would go right back to capture/containment once their containment unit is set up and they aren't dealing with the end of the world anymore.

As the RLM guys noted, you can definitely pull out some interesting subtext from the way each gender was portrayed in this movie. That didn't really affect me all that much while watching it. In the same way it didn't bother me in the original. You're the Ghostbusters. When confronted with a female enemy you aim for the flattop on that prehistoric bitch. When confronted with a male enemy you shoot him in the dick. When you get rich from busting ghosts you go dance the night away with the lovely ladies who witnessed the disturbance, and incessantly hit on one of your clients. When you get your chinese restaurant HQ, you hire a pretty man to look at all day. In no way did I feel this film did anything for anyone as far as MRAs and feminists and all that stuff goes. Little girls can look up to these female Ghostbusters now, and that's a nice bonus. Using this movie as some sort of vehicle for sexism or whatever is stupid and pointless. I was annoyed by the fact that the director/writers seemed to try to hit the audience over the head with that bullshit at least a few times. But, again, it didn't really make me dislike the movie itself any more.

While I understand the comparisons to MN9, there were people who literally invested in that game. There was no GB2016 kickstarter. There were great expectations of MN9 from the original concept art and original KS campaign, but the results fell flat as time went on. There may have been a little bit of hype for GB2016, but pretty much as soon as the first official trailer came out, it was dogpiled. I do agree that, had they been handled a bit different, both products could have been great and, heck, even lived up to their predecessors. But that's about where the comparison ends for me.

Anyway, I like GB2016. I will likely buy the bluray, but I doubt I'll see it in theaters more than once (unlike The Force Awakens which I saw at least 4 times). It is not amazing, it doesn't live up to the original, but it's a pretty good flick and it has brought the IP back to life for Sony. I'd be happy if that means more Ghostbusters movies with different casts and different directors, because you know eventually somebody who knows exactly what they're doing will knock that poo poo out of the park. The question is how many iterations will it take before people get sick of it? (Some people are already sick of it.)

Same here, I hate Bill Murray. Guy's a no-talent.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Same here, I hate Bill Murray. Guy's a no-talent.

Yeah but the Dalai Lama told him that on his deathbed he'll receive total consciousness so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Saw it last night, it did have some pacing issues to some degree but overall I enjoyed it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

OK sure, I'll post some words.

Ghostbusters is my favourite film. It is flawless. A masterpiece. Perfect. I will fight you if you say otherwise.

I knew I was going to watch this, so I avoided all trailers, news and stupid political BS going in (people judging films on trailers really don't know how the industry works and all trailers are awful).

So, in my opinion... I enjoyed it. I mean I wanted to enjoy it, it made me laugh, I had fun. Though weirdly enough I do agree with everything RLM said in their review. Feig is a pretty talentless director if this was his best shot. Very bland.

What's super interesting to me is to compare 1984 (aka the best year) to 2016, and nothing encapsulates this more than the opening scene, which is of course, and really had to be, the same as in the original. The set up. The reveal of the ghost. Now, the original is understated, it's haunting, it's quick, it's SUBTLE. The 2016 version is a loving episode of Goosebumps in comparison. There's chairs being thrown, stairs collapsing, slime everywhere, muttering to oneself, it goes on and on...

What was all the slime there for? What was it doing? Did it all disappear? How did that guy get out? Didn't he die in the slime? WHAT IS HAPPENING

Another major complaint is how they treat the ghosts. The first time we see the librarian ghost in the original is a great moment. It's spooky, it's a big deal, and it reveals a lot about their characters. Egon is scared and tries to deal with it with science. Peter, the motor mouth, is stunned into silence. Ray is in awe. In this movie they eat loving Pringles and talk talk TALK. The ghosts are not a big deal. They are not scary (apart from to Patty, who is the only one that I can say hands down that has a character).

I mean yes, it's badly edited (seriously, the way the song just fades out at the beginning is like a university student's first year film), and the jokes rely on talking over the punchlines about the punchlines, improv city, but I had a pretty good time and think they could do really well next time with a better director.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

On the subject of Feig,

The movie didn't make me dislike of the cast, but good lord those interviews with Paul Feig make him come across as insufferable. They depict a guy who just learned about comedy for the first time.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Alan_Shore posted:

What's super interesting to me is to compare 1984 (aka the best year) to 2016, and nothing encapsulates this more than the opening scene, which is of course, and really had to be, the same as in the original. The set up. The reveal of the ghost. Now, the original is understated, it's haunting, it's quick, it's SUBTLE. The 2016 version is a loving episode of Goosebumps in comparison. There's chairs being thrown, stairs collapsing, slime everywhere, muttering to oneself, it goes on and on...

GB84 is a super good movie but are you sure you aren't just remembering it as more serious and scary because you were a little kid when you first saw it?

Look at the actual scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kj2bF8dDNs

It's a super goofy ghost and the music and sound effects is straight out of a cartoon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You mean the video game written by Akroyd and Ramis

They didn't write it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

GB84 is a super good movie but are you sure you aren't just remembering it as more serious and scary because you were a little kid when you first saw it?

It's a super goofy ghost and the music and sound effects is straight out of a cartoon.

That's not the opening scene, which features the librarian getting scared.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jonas Albrecht posted:

On the subject of Feig,

The movie didn't make me dislike of the cast, but good lord those interviews with Paul Feig make him come across as insufferable. They depict a guy who just learned about comedy for the first time.

They also depict him as somone who seems to think that only now will little girls finally dress as Ghostbusters, when they've been doing it for 30 years.

source: i was once a little girl

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It is a super good movie, but that scene is not the the first scene...

But compare that scene to when they see their first ghost in 2016. In the original the movie just kinda stops. The music is otherworldly. The movie treats the ghost with absolute seriousness. Not only that, the Ghostbusters RUN AWAY in terror (and lots of kids looked away from the screen at THAT moment, I can tell you).

*cuts to everyone eating pringles, then getting slimed "Oh god this is soooo gross! Gross! Just like so gross!" *

PS I thought that lady ghost design in 2016 was cool and unnerving and they do nothing with it

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Isn't Egon randomly eating cheezits when they deal with Dana for the first time?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

Isn't Egon randomly eating cheezits when they deal with Dana for the first time?

Egon is almost always snacking.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You try saying no to those salty parabolas.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
The pringles complaint just seems odd in contrast.

I wasn't a fan of the movie, but it seems nitpicky.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Alan_Shore posted:

The movie treats the ghost with absolute seriousness.

I mean, it really really doesn't. I think you may have just seen the movie when you were young and stuff like that was scary inherently. Ghostbusters was a comedy movie and the ghosts were all very goofy looking with lots of cartoon sound effects and music. For god's sake the last boss ghost was a big marshmallow in a sailor suit. It was a very silly movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Similar to my qualms with how ghostbusting is portrayed in the film, I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that Sony's big plans for Ghostbusters are under the label "Ghost Corps.". It gives me the same unease as when the new Star Trek films made Starfleet more militaristic than intellectual, but unlike Abrams I don't feel like Feig or Sony execs. have the sort of understanding to recognize this change.

For the record, since it seems like some people might have gotten the wrong idea from the earlier quarrel, I was mostly fine with the actresses (although the editing did a horrible job of making them mesh well, like RLM said Holtzmann felt like a post-production "new character makes wacky faces at old footage" thing with how bad the editing was), my issue was entirely with how ghostbusters are portrayed in the new film.

• Locked thread