Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Punch ghost stands are less and less common as the series goes on, but they still usually have some weird humanoid form. They have to be able to STAND behind the user, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I've never really ranked Heaven's Door super high on my "favorite stands" list just because its ability is pretty cut and dry. There's creativity involved but most of it comes AFTER catching the opponent, when he's writing in them. Rohan himself is the best, though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Sometimes, when I'm feeling sad, I lie back and think about Rohan and Dio in the same room, and the absolute loving temper tantrum that Dio would have after Rohan writes "I will not attack Rohan Kishibe" on him. :allears:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I want to protect that smile

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Heaven's Door is cool as gently caress.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm excited about toonami

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It took me a while to watch today's episode

I'm glad my boy has arrived

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
That cut of Koichi getting grabbed is so good looking.

It's extra cool because they specifically are said to grab your soul, and the rip Echoes right out of good boy Koichi. Stands ain't got nothing on ghostarms that can drag you right to the afterlife.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Koichi mentions it in episode 3 or 4 iirc.

Jouske, could you post a pic of Kira from the manga looking full Bowie? Spoiler free ofc, tia!

Moltrey posted:

It's a little hard to do without spoiling some stuff, maybe Aurian has a specific panel in mind, but here's this in case you were wondering if Araki liked Bowie

We won't reach peak Bowie until a specific fight which is maybe 2 months away without much research into hashing out the timeline. It'll be posted for sure when it happens.

RubberLuffy posted:

It's extra cool because they specifically are said to grab your soul, and the rip Echoes right out of good boy Koichi. Stands ain't got nothing on ghostarms that can drag you right to the afterlife.

I like how they did that sublime animation and then recycled VERY fast Rohan drawing at incredible hihg speed

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 23, 2016

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Heaven's Door is literally Rohan's original character, it's like Araki having a stand that is just Rohan. (please post the illustration of Araki and Rohan hugging tia)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It'll be nice to have that lovely OP again next week.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
2 things.

1. Why did Koichi's stand get all upside down and whatever? Like, I thought it'd be like the work of an enemy stand but it wasn't? It was just being in weird ghost space-time?

2. I am about to get rocked by Tropical Storm D'Arby. [GOOD]

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

BambooEarpick posted:

Why did Koichi's stand get all upside down and whatever? Like, I thought it'd be like the work of an enemy stand but it wasn't? It was just being in weird ghost space-time?

RubberLuffy posted:

gently caress stands etc., it's like the characters stepped in another manga that follows different physical laws.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

BambooEarpick posted:

2 things.

1. Why did Koichi's stand get all upside down and whatever? Like, I thought it'd be like the work of an enemy stand but it wasn't? It was just being in weird ghost space-time?

2. I am about to get rocked by Tropical Storm D'Arby. [GOOD]

The same reason they couldn't just walk out of the alley I'm assuming, their sense of direction was being distorted. Speaking of Koichi I never realised he could manifest either form of Reverb which is pretty interesting. Maybe he did it previously and I didn't notice. Is this our first example of a Stand with more than one form?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

We won't reach peak Bowie until a specific fight which is maybe 2 months away without much research into hashing out the timeline. It'll be posted for sure when it happens.

Awesome

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BaDandy posted:

Sometimes, when I'm feeling sad, I lie back and think about Rohan and Dio in the same room, and the absolute loving temper tantrum that Dio would have after Rohan writes "I will not attack Rohan Kishibe" on him. :allears:

Dio is not stupid so he would find a loophole like sending a vampire minion to do it or making the ceiling collapse on them or something

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

The best pitch I can think of for Diamond is Unbreakable is "Ed, Edd, n' Eddy have superpowers and hunt down David Bowie the serial killer".

Again

I prefer calling them Archie characters personally but maybe both work

Johnny Joestar posted:

rohan better learned how to utilize his stand and can now quickly 'draw' an image in the air in front of people and it has roughly the same effect. that little dude is pretty much the physical manifestation but otherwise doesn't really do anything different than what the stand already does

stardust crusaders never really touched on it much, but stands are kind of malleable in that they reflect the person who has it. if someone radically grows as a person, then, well, chances are their stand will at least improve in some way. either that or they've better learned what it all can actually do or how to best use it, in rohan's case.

See: Koichi.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I decided to screenshot some of the stuff that flickers by in the newest OP to see if recent events shed much light on them. I'll timg them so other anime only people can skip them if they don't like looking for stuff in OPs considering the prior ones were kind of spoilery if you knew the series. I'm anime only too though if that helps!

This one is pretty clearly Kira's fridge by the looks of things, you can see the door and some milk on the right hand side. Pretty weird that the jars are labelled SOUP though.

This one was tricky to spot, it's a really fast transition shot between the group and some pigeons at the start. You can see the blurry reflection of some girls in the nail as well as what looks like a clipping scissors. Most likely Kira and one of his hands. The reflections might be future or past victims? The foreground one might be Yukako? Her hair is fairly big and Yukako's did get cut down a lot after her Koichi fight.

At first I was like no big deal with this one because it's just Kira and a hand, but if you look closely you can see pink nail polish! They made a big show of it last episode so I think this is Reimi's hand. At first I didn't think the handcutter killed her because her ghost had both hands. Her ghost has a back scar so clearly ghosts reflect damage done while they were living but I figure he cut the hand off after she died so the ghost has both hands.

At first I thought this was some kind of gravedigger or something but once I paused it I realised he was holding the arrow. I thought this might be Tamami but he looks super old, that being said Josuke's hair story implied time fuckery might happen later on. Also assuming that was Josuke who saved himself the older Josuke had blood around his mouth like he'd been in a fight beforehand.

Anyways other anime only people please wildly speculate with me!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

EmmyOk posted:

The same reason they couldn't just walk out of the alley I'm assuming, their sense of direction was being distorted. Speaking of Koichi I never realised he could manifest either form of Reverb which is pretty interesting. Maybe he did it previously and I didn't notice. Is this our first example of a Stand with more than one form?

Ever since he's obtained Echoes Act 2, he's only used it against Yukako and Rohan. During the RHCP encounter, he also only used Act 1. This is because Act 1 has a longer range than Act 2.

And yes, this is the first time we've seen an Act Stand. They're pretty rare in that there are only two in the entire series so far.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay neat! Yeah I forgot he was using Act 1 against RHCP! If I am remembering Tamami's fight correctly then Act 1 can create more than one SFX at a time whereas Act 2 creates a single much more powerful one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yes, that is also a "downside" to Act 2. Act 1 can make more, but they aren't strong; Act 2 can make only one, but it can create powerful effects.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

After this ep Part 4 is my fav. Best part.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I feel like the new OP fits a lot better now that we've had Remi and Kira's introduction. there will still be lighthearted moments but Kira is an absolute monster, and his presence really shifts the tone.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

David Bowie, no! I thought better of you once.

For real though, we've known there was a serial killer since the 1st episode but I didn't expect the reveal in this one, nor did I expect it to be so effective. Yikes. TBH, the first thing I thought of was the Derry interludes in Stephen King's IT. Which is also about a small town with a mysteriously high rate of disappearance thanks to a supernatural serial killer.

...how desperate is Tim Curry for work these days, and has he ever done any voice acting?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Rangpur posted:

...how desperate is Tim Curry for work these days, and has he ever done any voice acting?

No clue about today, but he was the sensual pollution man in Ferngully. He was also in Command and Conquer.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Every scene with A Mysterious Hand Man before was an anime only scene so it was suuuuper hype for manga readers to have the first scene of Part 4 start with that breakfast with a severed hand scene

I also really like that the scene implies Kira broke into someone's house, killed her and then started making breakfast with his new hand girlfriend.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, the manga just has Koichi almost get ran over, then suddenly we're following this blond guy talking to his girlfriend and he politely helps her out of the car and :supaburn:

Moltrey posted:

I also really like that the scene implies Kira broke into someone's house, killed her and then started making breakfast with his new hand girlfriend.

Well, you can't get away with murder on an empty stomach.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They did flip around the order of events to make the episode end more dramatically. The Kira thing happens and then Rohan checks to gravestone in the manga, obviously opposite in the episode, and for the better.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kira's way of cooking while holding another hand seems dumb and awkward, but he gets to have some romantic cooking with his girlfriend and he doesn't get his own fingerprints on anything for when this woman's house is inevitably searched.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

Kira's way of cooking while holding another hand seems dumb and awkward, but he gets to have some romantic cooking with his girlfriend and he doesn't get his own fingerprints on anything for when this woman's house is inevitably searched.

It's his house

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It didn't look like that big mansion in the opening scene, it looked like a housing estate almost.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
In the opening shot of the first episode, it establishes the house as a large two floor house on a street with neighbors when in yesterday's episode, he drives to a large Japanese estate with a wall around it, like Holly and Jotaro's place. I'd almost say Araki Forgot that he established Kira's house if it wasn't an anime only scene. In the manga he even goes on about how he's proud of his tea house style home.

e: It's not like he even moved since he talks about how it's his family's home. Maybe Kira does have a swanky townhouse, but I feel like following a woman home after her morning jog and murdering her and then staying to make breakfast before going to work is more his style

i am very particular with the consistency of the characterization of a fictional serial murderer in an animated show

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 23, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rangpur posted:

Tim Curry has done quite a bit of voice acting. Fern Gully has already been mentioned, but he was also the voice of Nigel Thornberry, and he was originally going to play the Joker in Batman: TAS instead of Mark Hamill.

He was also MAL in Captain Planet, and SKULLMASTER in Mighty Max, and King Acorn in one of the Sonic cartoons!

He also has a ton of smaller roles to his name, but yeah. Tim Curry has done some voice acting. :)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The new music tracks in this episode were really good. OST 2's going to have plenty to distinguish itself.

Dexie posted:

He also has a ton of smaller roles to his name, but yeah. Tim Curry has done some voice acting. :)

He's done some pretty inspired audiobook performances, too. Unfortunately he suffered a stroke four years ago, but he'll be playing the Criminologist on the Rocky Horror Picture Show remake, so thankfully he's making progress in recovery.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

In the opening shot of the first episode, it establishes the house as a large two floor house on a street with neighbors when in yesterday's episode, he drives to a large Japanese estate with a wall around it, like Holly and Jotaro's place. I'd almost say Araki Forgot that he established Kira's house if it wasn't an anime only scene. In the manga he even goes on about how he's proud of his tea house style home.

e: It's not like he even moved since he talks about how it's his family's home. Maybe Kira does have a swanky townhouse, but I feel like following a woman home after her morning jog and murdering her and then staying to make breakfast before going to work is more his style

i am very particular with the consistency of the characterization of a fictional serial murderer in an animated show

I didn't realize which scene you were talking about, my bad

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Seitz's generic evil guy Dio is awful.
I think you got this totally backwards. The translation makes his way of speaking more consistent (in Japanese he swings between well-educated guy and generic anime thug) and the VA makes him sound way more feminine and distinct than most bad guy voices. The translation also made him sound more unique instead of just repeating generic stuff like "Weak! Weak!"

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I will not hear any slights against Koyasu's Dio

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Koyasu only has one voice and he's my favorite VA

There's a video of Koyasu counting to you until you fall asleep he's great

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I didn't realize which scene you were talking about, my bad
Oh lol, I wasnt really that clear, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Raserys posted:

I will not hear any slights against Koyasu's Dio

I like the Japanese VA, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying it's odd to call the dub generic when they gave him more stuff to work with than just lines Jotaro could have said.

• Locked thread