Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

FF13-2 has one playable human, due to having one playable character.

We'd have to get into completely nonhuman casts in spinoffs to beat that.

Lightning Returns is 13-3. 13-2 has two permanent ones (Serah and Noel) and technically however many humans can be put into the constantly rotating third party slot (which is at the very least Sazh and two iterations of Lightning).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Jay Rust posted:

It's sad that vanilla has come to mean "bland and plain" when it is just as delicious as any other flavour

It's delicious, but it's also the same color as milk, which is probably why people associate it with being plain.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

AweStriker posted:

Lightning Returns is 13-3. 13-2 has two permanent ones (Serah and Noel) and technically however many humans can be put into the constantly rotating third party slot (which is at the very least Sazh and two iterations of Lightning).

13-2 also lets you recruit Gilgamesh if you can defeat him in a DLC boss battle, which means it's automatically the best FF game as far as party compositions go.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

W.T. Fits posted:

13-2 also lets you recruit Gilgamesh if you can defeat him in a DLC boss battle, which means it's automatically the best FF game as far as party compositions go.

Going by this logic, Record Keeper bumps 13-2 out, since you get every single FF protagonist and some of the antagonists (Sephiroth, Reno, Kuja, Exdeath, and Gilgamesh v.5 so far.)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

SorataYuy posted:

Going by this logic, Record Keeper bumps 13-2 out, since you get every single FF protagonist and some of the antagonists (Sephiroth, Reno, Kuja, Exdeath, and Gilgamesh v.5 so far.)

And Golbez and Kefka and Edea and Seifer and Jecht, and soon to be Garland (I), Leo, Gabranth, and Cid Raines (XIII).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i always assumed han's medal was for rescuing leia, but now that you mention it, yeah, where is wedge's medal

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The thing that always got me with XII was that Tactics is apparently set thousands of years later, and all those races are gone. So there's either a mass extinction event coming, or multiple genocides.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Tactics explicitly mentions that moogles are extinct (in the description for Sweegy Woods/The Siege Weald), and there having been a global apocalypse is a significant backstory element.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FF13-2 has one playable human, due to having one playable character.

We'd have to get into completely nonhuman casts in spinoffs to beat that.

I wonder if it was a conscious decision that the most diverse cast (FFIX) followed the game that was completely human (FFVIII).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

You won't be able to come back for a while. Prepare yourself well. Let me know when you're ready.

She sells basic items, nothing new.

He escaped with his life, but he burned his hands in the fire. He said he won't be able to do any more synthesis work...so I asked my dad to train me.

I'll work hard.

Only two new items we haven't seen before. First is the Barette, a woman-only equip that boosts strength and ice attacks. It teaches Chemist, Gamble Defense (defense randomly fluctuates between 0 and 2x the actual value whenever attacked), and Cura, the latter of which is great since we're getting to the point where Cure just isn't cutting it anymore. It requires a Barbut and Needle Fork.

The other is Zidane's first weapon upgrade since the last time we visited Lindblum. By combining a Mage Masher and Mythril Dagger, he gets a weapon that inflicts Trouble when used with Soul Blade and teaches Sacrifice (KOs Zidane to completely restore the party's HP and MP, I guess good if Zidane is about to die?) and Lucky Seven (if Zidane's HP ends with 7, it can do 7, 77, 777, or 7777 damage, which is as useful as it sounds). The abilities aren't anything to write home about but again Zidane hasn't had a weapon upgrade in a long time and he's our only physical attacker worth a drat right now.

(But I'll give you a major discount!)

Nothing new here, though the guide I've been using suggests buying 15 Chain Mails for synthesis purposes since this is our last chance to buy them.

But everything is so expensive here. I wonder if he'd give me a discount?

There's an ATE we trigger upon leaving the markets.

It took long enough, didn't it?
Yes, the Lindblum soldiers won't obey our orders...
We must finish up before Queen Brahne becomes upset. Send all available personnel to the harbor and assist in supplying the fleet. Staying here is pointless now that we have the Falcon Claw.

And that's it.

Cleyra resisted, and her eidolon destroyed it... I heard that you can't even enter Cleyra.

I'm gonna heed him and wait for the day when we rise against Brahne.

Where's the combat ship armada when you need it?

We find the Lindblum Card in Lindblum.

You'll blow my cover! I'm the leader of the Vigilantes!

Maybe you shouldn't randomly tell strangers that first opportunity you get, especially a guy who you saw defend black mage lives a couple hours ago.

edit: Fister Roboto managed to capture some dialogue I missed in this section. Much thanks!

Fister Roboto posted:

You missed a short bit of dialogue. Fortunately I literally hit this point in my PC playthrough today.

If you answer yes...

Please tell him this. Please tell him to stop what he is doing. Tell him Nicole said so.

And if you go talk to Justin...

That's what Nicole thinks... But this is my cause. I can't turn away from it. This is what I believe in, no matter how much pain it may bring. I won't stop... I'm gonna fight for my cause! Even if I have to fight Nicole!

And then go back to Nicole...

As far as I know that's as far as it goes. But I thought it was a neat little exchange. Childhood friends? Former lovers? We may never know.

That means I'll never taste my boss's awesome soup ever again...

Brahne's Red Rose destroyed Cleyra!? Brahne is scary, kupo!

You've never seen her up close.

Anyway, that's not all Moodon has for us.

There's a letter for Zidane!

Does she mean Lowell? He's a narcissist, alright, kupo!

And he also has a letter for us to deliver.

So no Industrial District this time. It's fine for me since that's a lot less NPC dialogue to cover.

Please! My husband is there. Please take us to the Industrial District!

Black mages killed my friends.

Black mage soldiers and the eidolons are the ultimate weapons of mass destruction.

Obey us.

Lindblum's blue sky died with our freedom...

Such a sad picture, but it possesses strength.
Yeah? You think so?

...I changed my mind after she praised my painting! People who understand art are good people.

...Good for you?

I pledged my loyalty to Queen Brahne in order to protect Alexandria. Not to kill people.

I bet everyone's dead. The eidolon swallowed everything.

I'm so happy:h:

Hey pal, do you know any other theaters I can work at?
Yeah, this girl Ruby runs a small theater in Alexandria.
Oh, buddy, is that right? I'm too big of a star for a sleepy town like Alexandria, but that's okay. I'll share my talent with those uncultured people.

Wow, that was dangerous!

The path to the theater is destroyed as well. All that's left to visit now is Tantalus HQ.

Oh, it's you, Zidane. I almost peed my pants! We've been protecting the Tantalus hideout while you were gone! You can leave us here. Go take care of the bad guys.

I thought you were one of them people with pointy hats! Is Uncle Baku coming home soon? It wouldn't be so scary if he was around...

We can also loot some cash here.

At any rate, we're done here. As the game says, once you leave you're not coming back anytime soon, so get your shopping and exploring done while you can.

Follow me. The regent is waiting on the Base Level.

I wonder if they're gonna take them all back to Alexandria?
...Maybe they're going on a very long trip.

We gotta stall more. Let's keep working.
Alexandria rules this continent now. Where else can they go and conquer? What do they really want?

-----

I don't know of any kindgom that poses a threat to our country...
I'm sure Queen Brahne has a plan. There's no need for us to worry about such matters.

Some Lindblum soldiers have locked themselves up in the guest room.

I wonder what Brahne is going to do...
Zidane...

Hey, what's up with you? You said you wanted to go.
What if...

I might not be okay on my own.
Are you worried about me?

A princess needs her elite guards, you know...? I'd be stranded without you guys!
Are you trying to flatter me by calling me your elite guard?

Sorry, I was only kidding. You'll be fine with me.

I've made up my mind. I don't want my mother to commit any more atrocities.
Alright, then. I'll protect both you and Vivi!
Thank you...

-----

Vivi, where's Uncle Cid?
U-Um... He said, 'Gwok-gwok. Wait here,' and went away somewhere...
Where could he be...?

I stopped a trolley between here and the Serpent's Gate! <Gwok-gwok!> That'll show them not to fool around in my castle!

The excavation site is like a maze. Be careful not to get lost.

It's a rag.

That is a national treasure of Lindblum! That is an ancient map of the entire world!
Wow. Thanks!

The World Map is a key item, basically it's just our old map but includes all the other continents in the world.

Zidane, Vivi. Please protect Princess Garnet.
Okay.
Uncle Cid...
<Gwok!> Don't worry about me. I'm stronger than I look!

They'll squeeze all the oglop oil out of my body if we're caught!
Let's go, Dagger.

Why do they take so long to load supplies?

You two, I did not give you permission to rest. I understand that things are moving slow, but... Keep in mind that the next mission is about to begin.

Right?
Yes, it made this strange 'gwok-gwok' sound...
I wanted to go shopping before we left the harbor!
Any word from the lookout?
No, ma'am. Nothing...
This must be Regent Cid's doing. He's hiding something...

Find the regent!

We end up at the gate that connects us to the surrounding Lindblum area. We've got a letter for this moogle, but if we turn in our Kupo Nut first we can get another from giving him a letter so might as well get a free crap item first!

It's located directly north of here. You'll see a pond shaped like a gourd.

Nothing new, but he does sell weapons and armor in case you didn't buy any earlier.

Next time, we'll start our adventure to a new continent.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 24, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zidane's abilities seem to mostly suck aside from Flee, Soul Blade, and one other one we won't be seeing for a while. I've never found much use for What's That!?, Annoy, or Sacrifice.

Mega64 posted:

Obey us.

I don't know why, but this line tickles me. I'm just imagining a poster of Queen Brahne's face with the word "OBEY" on it. :allears:

That being said, this is a pretty grim segment. Seeing all of the NPC dialogue about people close to them getting killed is kind of sad.

Can you get these treasure chests? I've been wondering this ever since I first saw this cutscene.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know why, but this line tickles me. I'm just imagining a poster of Queen Brahne's face with the word "OBEY" on it. :allears:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In between me seeing OFS' contribution and clicking reply to make a trite comment about my ability to sleep tonight, someone else posts another. You guys. :allears:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Square did a great job individualizing their NPC's, even the Alexandrian Soldiers

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You both are good people.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Can't let Brahne monopolize the war crimes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You missed a short bit of dialogue. Fortunately I literally hit this point in my PC playthrough today.

If you answer yes...

Please tell him this. Please tell him to stop what he is doing. Tell him Nicole said so.

And if you go talk to Justin...

That's what Nicole thinks... But this is my cause. I can't turn away from it. This is what I believe in, no matter how much pain it may bring. I won't stop... I'm gonna fight for my cause! Even if I have to fight Nicole!

And then go back to Nicole...

As far as I know that's as far as it goes. But I thought it was a neat little exchange. Childhood friends? Former lovers? We may never know.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
BTW Alexandria at level 1 is going swimmingly.

Real loving swimmingly.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Huh.... I think that's legitimately the first time I've ever seen a dead Beatrix.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm not sure how anyone can lose a Beatrix fight under any circumstances, unless it's their first playthrough. She can't hit more than one person at a time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Zidane's abilities seem to mostly suck aside from Flee, Soul Blade, and one other one we won't be seeing for a while. I've never found much use for What's That!?, Annoy, or Sacrifice.

Can you get these treasure chests? I've been wondering this ever since I first saw this cutscene.

The main point for getting him new abilities is to get their Dyne versions, except they have such crazy multipliers that all of them turn into 'single or all enemy 9999' damage really quick.

No, you can never get those treasure chests, they're a prop for variety.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
When the game first came out Detect was useful since looking up steal information on the internet could take awhile. Also, Sacrifice can see a little use since Zidane is durable enough to stay alive if the rest of your party is a bunch of mages.

But yes, Annoy and What's That!? are incredibly niche and there are better options in 99% of fights.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I just want to say that I'm enjoying the LP a great deal and am very impressed with how frequently it updates!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm not sure how anyone can lose a Beatrix fight under any circumstances, unless it's their first playthrough. She can't hit more than one person at a time.

She's faster than my crew by a large margin, and she sometimes gets clever and takes out whoever is about to revive someone. Every attack but thunder slash on whoever has the coral ring is fatal, too.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
As I believe I mentioned earlier in the thread, What's That!? actually has a fun use against back attacks. If used at the start of a back attack, it'll switch your party members back to their proper rows. Only mildly useful, I'll admit (especially since you can also get Alert right around the same time, IIRC), but still, I'll take accomplishing four turns' worth of actions in a single move.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

She's faster than my crew by a large margin, and she sometimes gets clever and takes out whoever is about to revive someone. Every attack but thunder slash on whoever has the coral ring is fatal, too.

OH right. I always forget about agility in this game since it's usually negligible. Apologies if you thought I was insulting you, though

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is also the only Beatrix fight where you don't have Quina for Auto-Life and Limit Globe. That makes thing significantly harder.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

edit: whoop, replayed incorrectly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FeyerbrandX posted:

Can't let Brahne monopolize the war crimes.

Great, great stuff. Adding to the front page.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also thanks for showing this off! I'll go ahead and edit it into the last update crediting you if you're cool with it.

BTW Alexandria at level 1 is going swimmingly.

Real loving swimmingly.

Oh dear.

Jay Rust posted:

I just want to say that I'm enjoying the LP a great deal and am very impressed with how frequently it updates!

Hah, thanks! Don't know how long this pace will last since I've got another LP on hiatus that will resume once that game has a major update, but since resuming this I've definitely been going at a better pace than before (other than the first week or so where I was on vacation and updated daily). Updates may slow down at some point but I'll keep trying to sneak some in here and there.

Speaking of which, I'll likely have another update at some point today.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's not too much to do back here. No new Chocographs to deal with for now.

So let's jump right to the Qu's Marsh for a bit.

MARSH SOUNDS

Oh, would you look at that. Looks like Quina didn't die after all!

Long time no see, Zidane. Much trouble, coming back from Cleyra alone.
Do you know a way to the Outer Continent? I heard there was an entrance somewhere around here...
Outer Continent... Maybe I find more delicious frogs.

And with that, Quina rejoins our party. Unlike last time, Quina is mandatory to continue the plot. Not that I'm complaining about having a fourth member, of course.

Since we're going to a new continent, it will be a long time before we return here, so it's not a bad idea to completely clear the place out.

Fifteen frogs nets us an Elixir from Quale.

Before we progress the plot, I turn in a Kupo Nut for an Elixir. The newlywed couple are also sparing no time in starting a family.

Wh-Wh-What's going on!? Kupo!?

Then he gives us another Kupo Nut, which I take back off-screen for a Tent. Hooray.

Also, here's the text for our world map.

I master all of Dagger's weapons and thus switch to the Multina Racket. The rackets aren't bad weapons, not great but certainly usable.

Let's check in with Quale to see if we can get some info on where to find this excavation site.

Excavation site? Hmm... Maybe I hear about it... Maybe not... Maybe.
What do you mean, 'Maybe'!?
I only hear about excavation site around this area. This marsh road covered in brush. Maybe there road to excavation site hidden somewhere. Quina might know.
Hidden in brush, huh? Well, thanks anyway.

It's on the right area. We can actually just go right from Quale's Hut to find it.

I smell! I smell frogs!
No, we have to look for the entrance to the Outer Continent!

Darn it...

Hold!

Wait a minute, Quina. Check it out.

Zidane, we going inside?
Of course we will. It might lead to the Outer Continent. Let's go!

One more stairway leads us to...

Welcome to Fossil Roo.

Anyway, first order of business is to-

CHASE SEQUENCE

We're getting chased by this creature while pendulums swing back and forth. Getting hit by them does no damage, but it does knock us back, letting the creature catch up to us.

This is Armodullahan, an armored version of an enemy that makes a few FF appearances. There is no reason to fight this creature since it has no rewards for beating it.

It does cast a very scary-looking L5 Death, but fortunately none of my characters are a multiple of 5.

It doesn't take much to damage it enough to stop it, but you can't actually defeat it through battle. It'll just go back to chasing you.

There's a few corridors like these we have to run through.

Until finally, Armodullahan is thwarted by its greatest nemesis, a hole.

CAVE SOUNDS

Sorry, Vivi. Are you okay?
Yeah...

That was a close call.

Remember that woman that chatted with Brahne a few updates ago? Seems she caught up to us.

H-Have we met?

I'm Lani. I'm under order by the queen to find you, Princess.
My mother? What does my mother want with me? I am not returning to Alexandria.
I've got bad news for you, Princess. It's not you I'm after.
What do you mean?
The pendant. Does that sound familiar?

Let's have it back. It belongs to Queen Brahne.

You escaped unscathed from the monster, but you're not gonna be so lucky with me. Hand over the pendant right this minute.
Are you the one who set that monster loose?

...What do you mean by that?
I meant exactly what I said.

Give me the pendant! You're trying my patience!
Hmph. What if we refuse?

The actual boss fight here is against Lani.

Lani's AI tends to focus on Dagger, hitting her with most of her ST attacks. If Dagger gets KOed, then Lani switches to Vivi. Of course, Lani has some MT spells as well.

As usual, you'll want to drag out stealing since she has some nice items.

The key is to protect Dagger from Lani's onslaught of attacks. She can hit hard and she's very fast. One method is to Magic Hammer her MP away to stop her spells, but I never did pick that spell up. It'd make things too easy anyway.

Vanish isn't too shabby. Won't protect against magic and wears off quickly, but it will stop physical attacks.

Sometimes Lani will cast Scan for...reasons.

Slow and Blind are pretty much staples for boss fights now, since most bosses are vulnerable to those two status effects. Lani is certainly no exception.

The Gladius is another set of daggers for Zidane. They have a 35% of inflicting Slow with Add Status and teach Lucky Seven and Annoy (inflict Trouble on an enemy with 50% accuracy, meh as gently caress).

Lani has a variety of -ra spells and the multi-target Water. They hurt.

Her Semi-Rare steal is the Coral Sword, a lightning-elemental sword upgrade for Steiner that teaches Charge!, an ability that causes all critical HP party members to use physical attacks. Again, very situational. I don't even know if you get Steiner back before you can actually buy one, but I guess we'll see!

Hey, let's check out Dagger's new summon while we're here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcz9A5rKRrQ

Ramuh simply hurls his judgment staff into the arena.

The damage is...very lackluster.

The summon damage formula is pretty complicated. First off, after the first time you use a summon there is a high chance that you'll see a shortened summon animation, which sounds cool except this also means damage is reduced by 2/3's. There is an ability Dagger can get later that will guarantee the full animations will always play for summons, though.

The other thing is damage is boosted based on how many of a specific gem you have. For instance, Ramuh's magic power is 32 + the number of Peridots you have. Right now it's a measly one, but we'll start getting more from random monster drops in this dungeon. At any rate, Ramuh's not really that stellar a summon but later summons are pretty sweet.

Vivi meanwhile just rips Lani apart. She has a large chunk of HP to burn through.

As you beat her up, she makes more witty retorts.

She's pretty boorish.

After a bit more rear end-kicking...

CAVE SOUNDS

With that, we can start exploring.

First thing, let's backtrack to where Armodullahan was kept.

These lovely creatures are Abominations.

They'll cast Fira and inflict Sleep and Silence. Nothing too terrible other than how hideously ugly they are.

Remember when Steiner fought a Griffin in Treno? They're here now as well, and interesting enough they're always guaranteed to drop a Peridot.

Otherwise, butt attacks and Aera.

Anyway, the trek back nets us an Elixir.

Also, this is actually the first time so far that Dagger has entered Trance! Of course, it wasn't useful until now, since her Trance ability has to do with summoning. Eidolon at first works as normal, except after she summons a monster that monster now has a random chance during the battle of reappearing again. These attacks are much weaker than normal, but they also cost no MP and, if you let Dagger do nothing while still in Trance, will pretty much keep popping up for the rest of battle. It's decent, I guess.

And here's the best screenshot I could get of Trance Garnet. Honestly not that much of a difference compared to someone like Steiner.

Anyway, let's get started on the dungeon proper, finally.

So, you may wonder to yourself, "How is our party supposed to reach an entire continent by walking underground? The difference by sea must be pretty long, after all!" It comes down to our old friend, the gargant.

The concept is simple. Hold up a flower in a certain spot, and a gargant will come.

Then you ride to your next destination.

There we go!

Feather Circles rely on "strength in numbers," mainly sticking to physical attacks and inflicting Trouble.

This is an excavation site, so of course there's actually people wandering around here.

Treasure? What are you talking about?
You don't know? This excavation site has tons of treasure and rare fossils. You're not here to steal them?
No, we're not treasure hunting. Does this tunnel connect to the Outer Continent?
The Outer Continent? You're trying to go outside?

I love the little steal/treasure hunt interplay here, since in FF6 there's a character called Locke who's essentially a thief yet insists to be called a treasure hunter.

Huh... This tunnel's like a web. I don't even know how far it travels.

The only way to go further is to hitch a ride on the gargant. But it'll lead you to a dead end if you let it go wherever it wants.

What's the relationship between the switch and the gargants?
The switch changes which fountain the water comes out from. Gargants hate water. You can block off the sections you don't want to go to by activating the fountain with that switch. That over there is the No. 2 switch. You'll need to trigger it to go over to the other side.
I see... How do I get there?

You can get there on a gargant, but...you'll need to trigger the No. 1 switch to do it.
I see. Thanks for the info.
The northern side leads to a dead end. There's open road to the southwest. If you're going southwest, follow the numbers on the switching system. No. 1 is at the deep end of north side.

So yeah, this dungeon isn't as complicated as it sounds, but if you're not paying attention or using a FAQ or whatever it's easy to lose track and end up running around in circles. It's still pretty long and arduous though.

Another Stiltzkin appearance. He always has the good stuff.

Thanks to you, I can continue my journey.

And if you talk to him again...

What the heck is this place!? It's like a maze!

What a carefree moogle! Kupo! I fled from Lindblum with my life...

Mogki also sells basic consumables if you need to restock.

Anyway, we're going southeast first.

This is the Switch 2 path, so it'll lead us to a dead end.

But that dead end has Fairy Earrings, so might as well take it now! If you don't buy them at the Treno auctions, then this is your first chance to grab them.

Now we need to head back and go northeast to actually progress.

The Switch 1 path leads us to Switch 1.

We need to flip this to lead us to Switch 2.

That way, we can switch Switch 2 to proceed.

And then we go back to Switch 1 and switch it back so we can go back and take the other route for Switch 2.

This is loving stupid.

Meanwhile, Quina eats a Feather Circle and learns L4 Holy. It's pretty drat weak for a spell that won't even work on most enemies. Meh.

There's another thief treasure hunter here once we're able to continue in.

You wanna buy something?

Some basic equipment in case you missed some earlier.

For this switch, you'll actually be progressing forward if you don't flip it, but you want to flip it first to get treasure.

The Lamia's Tiara is a hat for Dagger, Freya, and Quina that halves Wind damage and teaches Clear-Headed, Float, and Confuse. Confuse is new for Dagger, so might as well give it to her!

Alright, now to go in further.

This next part has you climbing vines.

Sometimes water spouts knock you into the lake below.

Luckily Zidane can do a wicked-sweet backflip.

This is my territory. Go dig somewhere else.

No reason not to!

Thanks, buddy!

After whacking these rocks a dozen or so times, we hit paydirt.

It's a letter request.

We can whack this middle column as long as we want. You can get Potions and Ores, but there is a small chance of getting a Madain's Ring, your first chance to get one if you didn't buy it from the Treno auction.

Yeah, this game sucks.

And buried over here is the Survival Vest, an armor upgrade for Zidane. We could've stolen one from one of the Beatrix fights, but effort.

It teaches Antibody, Locomotion, and Mug. Mug, like other FF games, is essentially Steal that does damage.

Unlike other FF games though, Mug doesn't do the same damage as a physical attack. The damage is terrible based on my one use, don't know if it's largely random or if it always does crap damage. Either way, pretty disappointing since Zidane always wants to be stealing anyway.

Anyway, to advance we climb the vines to the top-left to flip the final switch.

And we are finally done with this dungeon!

Next time, the Outer Continent! What mysteries and adventures will we discover here?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love that Quina escaping Cleyra is handwaved away as "Hey! It was hard getting here from Cleyra" and it's never mentioned again.

Also, a little fun fact. If you gameshark in a Peridot or any of the items for Daggers missing summons on Disc 1, they all have a correspondingly huge MP cost attached. I think it 2-3 times the normal amount.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I love that Quina escaping Cleyra is handwaved away as "Hey! It was hard getting here from Cleyra" and it's never mentioned again.

To be fair, it's not like they were going to permanently kill off a character that is optional to get at that point.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 25, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

According to FF Wiki, the formula for Mug's damage is:

Also, this is where I left during my own playthrough of FFIX. This part is boring and I got distracted. I'll get to see what's after now, though!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jewels adding attack power to summon spells is really, really good because of the way the general damage formula works. It's basically (Attack - Defense) * Multipliers. Most enemies in the game have a defense of 10, or somewhere around there. If you've got 22 peridots, you've effectively doubled Ramuh's damage. With 55 peridots, his damage will be the same as the best summon in the game without any jewels. The griffons in this part of the game have peridots as a guaranteed drop, so you can grind on them if you want.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

According to FF Wiki, the formula for Mug's damage is:

I love this game, but this is why abilities generally suck in it. Too many arbitrary formulas for the most minor payoffs. It already is hard enough to steal that nerfing the damage of Mug is just nonsensical.

Not to mention the 50% accuracy on moves like Annoy and Armor Break or worthless skills like Lv3 Defenseless or Lv4 Holy. Why even bother?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If mug was a full attack, it would make things way too easy, because stealing is already incredibly useful in this game.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Garnet's Eidolon Trance is actually a lot better than it sounds. It's not random when the extra casts come out. Rather, it's on a hidden ATB timer, so you can more-or-less know when to expect them. Additionally, its casts are boosted by the applicable gems in your inventory just as a normal summon.

Of course, it's still a Trance and all the problems that entails, with the added pain of it being nearly useless in randoms and really only working if you get it right at the start of a boss fight. But when it's good, it's great, and it lets you keep your healer on standby while still contributing damage.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

About Mug, every other game in the series that used it should have been a full power attack, because the main goal is "do damage and try to get one thing out of the jerk", plus maybe bypass a particularly fowl weapon proc or two.

This game, with the focus on stealing multiple pieces of loot per enemy means that you don't want to rip the enemies throat out after one or two attacks. So death by a thousand tiny little cuts isn't a bad thing. But yeah, kinda stupid waste of ability gems to use. Full powered Mug wouldn't make the game easier, it'd make it harder since you'd need to deal with killing enemies before you get all their loot. And that'd be a bad thing when we have The Perfect Game guide to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Here's the model of Dagger's Trance:

It's not a good look.

• Locked thread