Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GenericOverusedName posted:

Help I am drowning in wolves. My test subject crazy person turned out to be some kind of animal savant and managed to tame a handful and now there are so many puppies.

Raiders get torn apart by a swarm of adorable tiny varmints when they get past my walls, it is hilarious. Soon they will be big varmints and I have to think of some way to weaponize them that isn't as time consuming as training all of them with just one animal trainer.

Just make an animal area in a few chokepoints, and when raids happen restrict the pack to those zones. The attackers will helpfully engage the wolves for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just sell them to the first trader that buys animals. Vargs are worth a fair bit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

Cause it is a meal not an ingredient.

Unless you're making pemmican that's really the ideal situation to be in anyway, rid yourself of some stacks in your freezer (tho pemmican does sell really well to the tribal merchants, so there is something to be said for forbidding it so you can sell it all)

I mean that "mashed veggies and fat" doesn't really sound like a meal, or something you could't use as an ingredient.

Personally I would treat it like the game does eggs.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it's weird you can't use it as an ingredient. It's like hard tack or jerky... Not really a meal on its own. Usually you'd want to fry it with eggs or something.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Daze lasts way too long for a minor breakdown. I've had people walk around for up to 24 hours.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I just picked this game up, and the Mood system is the one thing that I truly dislike about it so far. Getting Bad Mood warning messages every time someone is mining due to Cramped Space and Hideous Environment gets really annoying.

The game does have some amusing moments though. I have one colonist who has an artificial jaw(original one shattered by a gun shot and couldn't be repaired), a peg leg(bitten off by a mad wolf), and is missing an arm(ripped off by a mad bear). She is the only one who has any serious permanent injuries, she just seems to have absurdly bad luck. Sadly she used to be my best shooter, so I'm hoping I get can get a bionic arm for her at some point.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Help I am drowning in wolves. My test subject crazy person turned out to be some kind of animal savant and managed to tame a handful and now there are so many puppies.

Raiders get torn apart by a swarm of adorable tiny varmints when they get past my walls, it is hilarious. Soon they will be big varmints and I have to think of some way to weaponize them that isn't as time consuming as training all of them with just one animal trainer.

E: they are also eating everything and I don't have a very steady supply of meat. I guess I could let them eat the dead raiders?

Get the Colony Manager mod and you can set a population count beyond which animals will get auto-slaughtered, set a certain number to automatically have training designated, and other such handy stuff.

The same mod lets you set up automatic hunting up to a certain meat threshold, and if you can keep from hunting the entire map into extinction, you could use that to just keep and feed all the wolves and sell them off to traders for bunches of moneys.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

E: they are also eating everything and I don't have a very steady supply of meat. I guess I could let them eat the dead raiders?

If you make a dumping zone for enemy bodies near to where the wolves sleep they should snack on them. Just make sure you keep them out of sight of the colonists and at the very least refrigerated. If you have a cannibal you could also chop them up and make them into kibble, otherwise the mood penalty isn't worth it.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Yeah, if you have a decent supply of crops you can stretch your meat supply by turning it into kibble at the butchering table. Kibble also never goes bad so far as I can tell, so make as much as you can store if you get an alphabeaver infestation or something.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The one female who isn't missing half her limbs and having an artificial jaw already has a lover in my colony. Despite this, all the males who are not her lover are pissed because she keeps turning them down. She is already taken, take a hint and stop giving me bad mood notifications!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Khisanth Magus posted:

I just picked this game up, and the Mood system is the one thing that I truly dislike about it so far. Getting Bad Mood warning messages every time someone is mining due to Cramped Space and Hideous Environment gets really annoying.

- Make sure you have someone cleaning and preferably, hauling the chunks away
- Build a light

"ugly environment" and "in darkness" are the two really bad ones for miners.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's also important to door off fresh excavations. Since room beauty is averaged, if your hallways open into a vast mining area, everyone in the halls is going to get the hideous environment debuff too even if they're never near the actual filth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mining's dirty work, you should look after your miners. Also mining out extensive tunnels is extremely valuable to a colony so it should take a long time and incur some sort of difficulty.

The mood system is also not entirely negative, people work faster if they're in a good mood.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

I can only imagine that The Naked Shrub Fondling Incident was pretty spectacular to behold given that fully one third of all art in my colony relates to it:

I also like to imagine that the uncountable pilots is basically the heavenly host from the sistene chapel except adam is replaced by the naked dude humping a bush.

Perhaps that actually happened and that's why everyone likes arting about it.

Is there any mood bonus for sleeping in the same room as a bonded pet? I like the idea, but it wouldn't be worth it for me if my colonists kept getting disturbed sleep maluses.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm actually really pleased Tynan added this "minor break" system with odd poo poo like hiding in one's room and bingeing on food, some midpoint between "I'm OK" and "flip out and murder all my friends"

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I've had people with their minor mental break just wander around and take off all their clothes and drop their weapons.

In other news, CCL is now on the Steam Workshop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

It's also important to door off fresh excavations. Since room beauty is averaged, if your hallways open into a vast mining area, everyone in the halls is going to get the hideous environment debuff too even if they're never near the actual filth.

Not... strictly true. Room beauty is averaged but that only determines the room qualities, not the direct beauty thoughts of the colonists in it.

Some rooms, like hospitals, gain a room bonus for being beautiful, a beautiful hospital gives a direct mood bonus to all colonists who are recuperating in it, entirely separate from the fact that the colonist's surroundings may also give them a beauty satisfaction bonus.

A colonist's beauty need is met by their direct surroundings, a room's beauty attribute is averaged over its contents.

So, not compartmentalizing excavations will tank the beauty and impressiveness of any rooms connected to them, but will not make your colonists any more or less unhappy unless they're near the actual ugly part. Same with space needs, it is possible to be cramped if you're in a small alcove in a very large room. Room quality is only really relevant for bedrooms, dining halls, and hospitals, as it pertains to colonist happiness. So if you are excavating off those it would be perhaps relevant to separate the excavations.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 23, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tsyni posted:

Is there any mood bonus for sleeping in the same room as a bonded pet? I like the idea, but it wouldn't be worth it for me if my colonists kept getting disturbed sleep maluses.

There is a mood bonus I think for having a bonded pet but it didn't go away if I moved the bed out of the room. I actually just put them there for thematic reasons and because I don't like having dog beds cluttering up the hallway.

As the colonists and dogs go to bed at the same time they don't have issues with disturbed sleep as far as I know.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

IAmTheRad posted:

In other news, CCL is now on the Steam Workshop.

So is redist.heat :dance:

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
It's cool to watch your colony collapse because your only hauler is dying in bed so no one will bring wood to the stove and cook food. They're all eating raw meat and going slowly insane instead of, ya know, putting a piece of wood in the stove.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Can you force feed prisoners Human meat?

:getin:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can just define a stockpile in a prisoner room to hold human meat only and they'll eat it when hungry, and meals won't need to be delivered to them as long as the stockpile has meat in it, so basically yes

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
A female grizzy bear has claimed my new hydroponics bay as its den and mauled my main engineer. GOTY

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Is there anything you can do about people with minor infections just wandering around dazed until the infection becomes extreme and likely untreatable? I have 2 people who got infected after a horde of insane rabbits attacked. Both had minor infections and were treated for them. Then they both stripped naked and wandered dazed for 24 hours, after which the infections has gotten extreme and they finally passed out so I could move them into a bed to be treated.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You could arrest them I guess, which makes them a prisoner and they have to be re-wardened and poo poo.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Why are there SO many backgrounds that disable hauling? I swear the last four people I offered to shelter couldn't haul. Just pick things up and put things down you drat idiots.

I generally let non-haulers hang around until the first pirate ship comes, then it's off to the dungeon and off to space :mad:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Danaru posted:

Why are there SO many backgrounds that disable hauling? I swear the last four people I offered to shelter couldn't haul. Just pick things up and put things down you drat idiots.

I generally let non-haulers hang around until the first pirate ship comes, then it's off to the dungeon and off to space :mad:

You have a husky for an avatar. The hint is right there.

Seriously though, a few trained animals capable of hauling can free up a lot of your colonist's time for more important stuff. Just make sure they are at least omnivores so they don't eat all your meat.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Any mining sonar mods available for 14?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Anyone that wants mods to remove psychic and poison ships, or any other incident, you can literally just do that with the scenario editor by adding a blocked incident part and selecting them.

As for hauling, make kibble. Then find advanced intelligence animals to train to haul. If your map has boars or timber wolves, they can learn it. Regular pigs, all large dogs, and I'm not sure what else, are intelligent enough as well. Be careful about training Wargs. They won't eat kibble, only corpses and raw meat.

5 or more animals trained to haul means the job gets done pretty quickly.

That said, I'm still kind of disappointed you can't assign animal beds still, and the ridiculous handling skill requirement to set pet masters. Would really like to keep bonded animals close to their pawns.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 23, 2016

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Insect infestation is a bit ridiculous. One megaspider killed four of my colonists and a bear. This game is still really fun though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TropicalCoke posted:

Insect infestation is a bit ridiculous. One megaspider killed four of my colonists and a bear. This game is still really fun though.

They're tough in melee combat but you should be able to focus fire them down, also they aren't too bright, having doors and multiple routes through your mountain base is a very good idea, I quite like the design choices it forces for mountain bases because you have to consider that every room may need attacking at some point.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can infestations spawn on smoothed floors?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Can infestations spawn on smoothed floors?

Yes. Anywhere under a mountain, flooring of any variety doesn't matter

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azhais posted:

Thanks. Guess I should dig out some spare tunnels in the back of the base to lower the chance of getting one in the middle of my dining room. Also, my last infestation had two hives spawn at the same time, is that random?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

They're tough in melee combat but you should be able to focus fire them down, also they aren't too bright, having doors and multiple routes through your mountain base is a very good idea, I quite like the design choices it forces for mountain bases because you have to consider that every room may need attacking at some point.

Everything about the game is tough on melee, I highly recommend Skullywag's melee shields mod to make it less horrible:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14135.0

It's on workshop too.

Azhais posted:

He nerfed that somewhat, the incident only fires "further underground" whatever that means exactly.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 23, 2016

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Melee being a bit ridiculous is compounded by animals taking more shots than the enemy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

It's cool to watch your colony collapse because your only hauler is dying in bed so no one will bring wood to the stove and cook food. They're all eating raw meat and going slowly insane instead of, ya know, putting a piece of wood in the stove.

yeah "no dumb labor" is one of the worst traits

OwlFancier posted:

Pemmican does count as a meal, oddly.

my complaint is that my colonists would rather eat pemmican apparently than a nice healthy perishable meal. i have to lock all the pemmican away in a closet so they wont eat it. maybe my cook sucks

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 23, 2016

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I disable Infestations thanks to the new scenario editor. That's literally all I use it for right now. That and making a permanent nuclear winter and starting on an ice shelf that averages -140F in the winter.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah "no dumb labor" is one of the worst traits

if you don't want to completely cheat by using the "no lazy pawns" mod, the work tab mod on the workshop lets you split all tasks down to their component parts. Like "construction" becomes "disassemble", "uninstall", "deliver materials to blueprint", etc. You can just assign the no dumb labor guys to all of the hauling components of other tasks and lower the priority for your skilled guys. So the horde of useless fucks will take materials to your blueprints and your constructor will construct them. Or they can take food to patients/prisoners. That sort of thing. They're still useless fucks, but you can at least give them SOME tasks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Everything about the game is tough on melee, I highly recommend Skullywag's melee shields mod to make it less horrible:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14135.0

It's on workshop too.

He nerfed that somewhat, the incident only fires "further underground" whatever that means exactly.

Melee is certainly going to incur injuries, but it's worth noting that creatures have quite predictable types of melee damage.

Specifically, humans, by default, only do blunt damage in melee, and while blunt damage can certainly gently caress people up, the key thing about it is that most of it does not require treatment to heal

Bruising, while debilitating, will heal happily on its own and I don't believe it can cause infections. So, if the enemy is using ranged weapons, you can actually win very handily with any sort of melee weapon and a bit of skill, or a brawler character. Guns are dangerous but a decent melee character will be able to keep any single gun using enemy locked down and beat them to death pretty sharpish, they'll get bruised but shouldn't generally incur any serious damage.

It's contrary to firearms where any hit might hit something vital or cause infection, basic human fist damage is not generally strong enough to do that.