Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Killstick posted:

AC belt tensioner pully fell off my e39, sounded like the end of the world. The bolt backed out most likely because the shop didn't tighten it the last time the car was in there 5 months ago. Ripped the mounting right out of the engine. Don't know if the engine is repairable at all. Fun times.

Guy at an indie bimmer shop told me once "Officially, there's nothing you have to do (to secure the 3 power steering bolts that backed out on me and ruined my pump). Unofficially, dear God, blue Loctite all around."

Sorry about your underhood thrashin'. Bolt boss is gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

SuperDucky posted:

Hhhnnngggg bless you for holding the torch of sepang bronze.

My pleasure :)

Seattle-area BMGoons - I'll be at the Deutsche Marque show and shine on Sunday with the Z4M. There will probably be many better cars (and people) there, too.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Guy at an indie bimmer shop told me once "Officially, there's nothing you have to do (to secure the 3 power steering bolts that backed out on me and ruined my pump). Unofficially, dear God, blue Loctite all around."

I haven't got a good look at it, it went straight into the shop. I'll know more after the weekend.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Welp, s54 e36/8's are officially getting into e30 m3 territory. 1/2 sunroof delete s54 imola on grey/black is expected to go for 70k plus at Oktoberfest next month. http://www.coupeaday.com/2016/07/22/s54-m-coupe-up-for-auction-in-monterey-by-mecum/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That's far higher than most e30m3's and at least they're significantly rarer than the e30m3.

Also, that's the same color/interior/options as my s52 z3mc was. that was one of 2 as well :(

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Right, I worded that badly. With the additional rarity and inflation factored in, I'd call it reasonably in-line with e30 m3 appreciation.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
e46 driver side airbags for recall finally available

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

SuperDucky posted:

Welp, s54 e36/8's are officially getting into e30 m3 territory. 1/2 sunroof delete s54 imola on grey/black is expected to go for 70k plus at Oktoberfest next month. http://www.coupeaday.com/2016/07/22/s54-m-coupe-up-for-auction-in-monterey-by-mecum/
I'm surprised it took this long to be honest, I thought they would have jumped up faster than they have. Stupid fun, great cars, rare and getting very hard to find. Almost bought one instead of the E28 last year but :homebrew:

Speaking of :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew: I have poor self control

Clean title E30 M3 race prepped rolling shell: 10 point DTM inspired cage tied into EVERYTHING, AP massive brakes, Willwood pedal box, Bilstein Gruppe N coil-over front, Ohlins coil-over rear, Z3 rack, cockpit adjustable sways, fiberglass hood/trunk/spiller plus a bunch of extra stuff. I'll make a thread once I finish the to-do list and pick up an engine for it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm surprised it took this long to be honest, I thought they would have jumped up faster than they have. Stupid fun, great cars, rare and getting very hard to find. Almost bought one instead of the E28 last year but :homebrew:

Speaking of :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew: I have poor self control

Clean title E30 M3 race prepped rolling shell: 10 point DTM inspired cage tied into EVERYTHING, AP massive brakes, Willwood pedal box, Bilstein Gruppe N coil-over front, Ohlins coil-over rear, Z3 rack, cockpit adjustable sways, fiberglass hood/trunk/spiller plus a bunch of extra stuff. I'll make a thread once I finish the to-do list and pick up an engine for it.

What engine/trans are you planning? if you're open to suggestions.....

http://www.usajdmengines.com/index.php/toyota-supra-94-98-dohc-3-0l-twin-turbo-2jz-gte-engine-5-and-6-speed-version.html

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've thought about boosted but I plan to stay naturally aspirated at least to start, a supercharger may be added down the road. You are closer than you think to the engine I will be using thought since I'm sticking with a high revving inline four because everyone knows I4 M3's are the best.

Also this thing is likely going to be responsible for me going insane and setting up a basic metal fabrication shop in the garage

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 23, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
K24 or F20?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've thought about boosted but I plan to stay naturally aspirated at least to start, a supercharger may be added down the road. You are closer than you think to the engine I will be using thought since I'm sticking with a high revving inline four because everyone knows I4 M3's are the best.

Nobody in the history of man has ever looked at an empty engine bay and thought "you know what? a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder would be cool in there".

I mean, if cost is an issue..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Mazda-Eunos-Rotary-13B-RX7-FD3S-Greddy-Turbo-Transmission-Engine-Motor-/361567498785

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

Also this thing is likely going to be responsible for me going insane and setting up a basic metal fabrication shop in the garage

There's a guy on E90post who's been working at reverse engineering the MSV70 DME so he can use an N52 for his track car, which I *think* is also an E30 M3. My understanding is that in addition to being lighter than a bunch of other choices, it's fairly reasonable to hit 300hp NA. (Intake and headers, primarily)

I think he was planning on doing trumpets rather than a 3 stage with DISA. And I know there's a shop in NC fiddling with putting an N54 intake onto the N52, which seems to give more top end while sacrificing a bit of the bottom end.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

K24 or F20?
This is the current top choice...326lb dressed, 240hp stock. I've been talking with someone that has 40k on his swap and am waiting on some pictures of how he modified the oil pan, steering rack and subframe. May end up going with dry sump to simplify things.

Powershift posted:

Nobody in the history of man has ever looked at an empty engine bay and thought "you know what? a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder would be cool in there".

:colbert: You shut your dirty whore mouth

Alarbus posted:

There's a guy on E90post who's been working at reverse engineering the MSV70 DME so he can use an N52 for his track car, which I *think* is also an E30 M3. My understanding is that in addition to being lighter than a bunch of other choices, it's fairly reasonable to hit 300hp NA. (Intake and headers, primarily)

I think he was planning on doing trumpets rather than a 3 stage with DISA. And I know there's a shop in NC fiddling with putting an N54 intake onto the N52, which seems to give more top end while sacrificing a bit of the bottom end.
Another option I'm looking at if I decide to keep it BMW powered.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Are you sticking with F20C because of price/ease of install? K series are objectively better in almost every way, but definitely take custom parts to get working with RWD.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Are you sticking with F20C because of price/ease of install? K series are objectively better in almost every way, but definitely take custom parts to get working with RWD.
I'm leaning towards the F20 because bone stock it's rwd with a great transmission, also the power/weight. It looks like it will be fairly easy to install other than the oil pan. I need to do more reading on the K-series engines and see what options would make sense. Seems like there's a few RWD transmissions that can work with them.

Main objective of the car is low weight, reliability, around 250hp and I will not be modifying the tub at all.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
250hp isn't happening with the F20, you're looking at the K series for that -- assuming you're talking WHP.

Excellent choice, please have a build thread for this. :) Dream car for me (including the motor choice).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

250hp isn't happening with the F20, you're looking at the K series for that -- assuming you're talking WHP.

Excellent choice, please have a build thread for this. :) Dream car for me (including the motor choice).

Na I'm talking around 250 at the crank, F20 is ~240 stock and close enough. Car should be under 2200lb and weight is the enemy for this build.

There will definitely be a build thread because I'll be asking for a lot of ideas on how people would do things. Going to be a long term project with the goal of it running by the spring E30 meet in June.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

250hp isn't happening with the F20,

Nah, it's doable without forced induction, you're just not getting it with easy bolt ons.

Go here for all your NA F20/22 needs

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 23, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

Nah, it's doable without forced induction, you're just not getting it with easy bolt ons.

Go here for all your NA F20/22 needs

I guess I should have clarified there, since the K24 can do that NA. :)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess I should have clarified there, since the K24 can do that NA. :)

Like I said, so can the F20. It's just not as easy to get. 230-240whp is doable with a tune and bolt-ons. More than that is still possible NA, you're just gonna have to break open the engine and toss some money at it to get it. If he's just looking for 250 at the crank then it would probably be the way easier to go unless the RWD conversions for the K series are similar price/effort. If they are the K would definitely be the better option.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Comedy option LT4 crate engine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

fknlo posted:

Like I said, so can the F20. It's just not as easy to get. 230-240whp is doable with a tune and bolt-ons. More than that is still possible NA, you're just gonna have to break open the engine and toss some money at it to get it. If he's just looking for 250 at the crank then it would probably be the way easier to go unless the RWD conversions for the K series are similar price/effort. If they are the K would definitely be the better option.

That's my thinking largely. I can but a S2000 engine, transmission and ecu and largely toss it in. Biggest hurdles are oil pan, ecu and driveshaft. Oil pan can be addressed by dry sump or modifying the pan and/or the subframe/steering rack. Ecu is easy by going stand alone. Driveshaft is fixed with a custom one piece with a tacoma unit in the rear which bolts directly to the E30 diff.

A k-series engine could be made to work with a miata, s2000 or other rwd transmission but that's just another step and possible place to run into issues. The apparent ease of getting power out of them is kind of tempting but I'm not chasing huge numbers.

May end up starting the build thread earlier than planned so there's a dedicated place to talk about this stuff and figure out different options. Other engines I was looking at was 2.1L m42 (diy S42), N52, rotary or even a boring old 2.5L s14 if I can find one for the right price.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
250 WHP from an f20 requires a stroker with itbs ($$$$$). Lots of folks in the local scene have made 250+ whp on a k24 with a k20 head/intake/cams/exhaust. Even though the HP numbers are close there is no way to get an s2k motor to come close to K-series torque without boost.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

As far as the N52 goes, I know about the upgraded intake to essentially turn a 325 into a 330. Are there other upgrades/tweaks out there that aren't ludicrously expensive?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

This is obviously the correct answer for what to swap into an e30 M3.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
BMWCCA renewed this month, the new sticker is pretty sweet.

Putting a clutch master in a e36 when you don't really have the proper tools to do it is not.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

SuperDucky posted:

BMWCCA renewed this month, the new sticker is pretty sweet.

That is a pretty sweet looking sticker.

I'm still a member of the BMWCCA though I sold my 540i over three months ago and don't currently own a BMW... Planning (sometime in the next few years) on getting a Mini Cooper (maybe) as a fun car since 02-04 S models appear to be in the four grand range, so I'll keep paying and getting the Roundel magazine and just not have anywhere to put the sweet sticker...

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Most of Roundel is worth having the membership for by itself. The rest is made up for with dealer parts discounts and their towing package, which is phenomenal. And absolutely required when owning a BMW anyway so...

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I have an e61 2006 530xi wagon that I need to sell.
Where is the best place to sell it, and what should they go for?
its Gray, auto, 246k km (150k miles), new water pump/cps/brakes/ ac compressor.
had the transmission seal done when I got it at 100k km.

No nav, a few scratches in the paint, interior is ok but dirty, a family car that got used.

Ill do the HVAC fan before I sell it (maybe, it looks like 20 hours of work, of which I have 15 minutes a day between a newborn and a 2 yr old).
Ill probably put some touchup paint on the big scratches.

This guy is out to lunch
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/cto/5685661047.html

This one is an ugly colour
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5689444792.html

this one is crazy low miles.
http://victoria.craigslist.ca/mcd/5671771390.html

I was thinking of listing at 12k but not too sure.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Put an ad on Craigslist and kjijii clearly outlining it's faults and strengths. List it for what you think it's worth, people will offer what they think it's worth.Have receipts ready to prove work done to it.

Do not put your phone number in the ad, or you will get 5-10 calls a day from middle men trying to get cash out of you. put your e-mail, ignore any e-mail that doesn't specifically mention what you're selling in the ad, or suggests anything involving shipping or paypal. Be prepared for people to make appointments to check it out and never show up. Be prepared for people to show up, drive it, and offer $4k, don't be afraid to tell them to pull over and get in the passenger seat, until you have cash in your hand it's your car. You'll get dealers loving with you wanting you to drive it to their lot so they can offer you $2500 trade in on a car off their lot, use that as an opportunity to beat the poo poo out of the most expensive car on their lot. Of course you're interested in trading it in on an M4.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

e46 driver side airbags for recall finally available

Any idea how long it takes for them to propagate through the supply chain? I called every dealer within a reasonable distance and nobody has the driver side parts yet or even knows when they are coming in.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I dunno I was going off the Vin check on bmws website, which finally indicated it was available. I haven't called yet.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Water pump belt pulley (used) and belt, aggregate support for oil filter (tensioner ripped out the bolt hole) and a new hydraulic belt tensioner. Parts are 500$ and work is 450$. Since the oil filter support is coming out i get a new gasket for that (basically free) which might fix my long lasting oil leak. Here's to hoping i didn't run the engine too hot so the head gasket is done. Mechanic thinks it should be fine since i drove for a very short time after the bang and the coolant tank hasn't lost much coolant (less then 2 dl). The alternative would be to swap engines but that's triple the cost and with a used engine you might inherit a whole new set of headaches. I'll know if the operation is a success in a weeks time. Wish me luck!

PS: Still don't know what caused it, none of the parts that broke could have broken due to wear. The bolt that holds the tensioner is broken in the middle and was clearly not the initial failure. Leading theory is that a branch or something went up into the belt area (missing underside cover in the front) and went amok. I'll never know.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
That e36 I posted about doing the clutch master on Sunday?

Yeah.

Every time I see one of these things in a wreck I am more and more convinced that they are the safest pre-"modern safety" car ever designed. Eat a dick, Volvo.
Friend walked away with cuts and bruises. Rolled it twice.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I took the Z4M to the Deutsche Marque (get it? haw) car show on Sunday. Spent a lot of Sunday detailing it. God the paint is in bad shape :(

Ohai!

Saw some other pretty things. Like a real '58 Porsche 550A:

Neato custom Merc:

Sharknoses:

Minty M3:

Lots of other nice cars, but I didn't take a lot of photos because I suck.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Goddamn, that Mercedes. Nice pictures.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/07/the-time-attack-car-less-obvious-a-bmw-8-series/

:chanpop:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Someone let me borrow a time machine so i can go back in time and not sell my e46 coupe. TIA.

Am I searching wrong or something? I only found ONE facelifted e46 coupe with a stick for sale on autotrader "ANY DISTANCE" from my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I'm a little happier knowing that that exists.