Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wow, have you never had people saying dumb things in your workplace? I guess this is enough to say they were all no angels.

I don't know about you but where I work you'll get fired for racist emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Accusing people of virtue signalling should have a rule like Godwin's where rscott now loses this and has to go away

Literally the only reason why anyone gives a poo poo about this is because of its rhetorical utility as a cudgel against somebody, be that Clinton (in the case of Trump), Julian Assange (in the case of democrats) and by proxy I guess anyone who is defending him. Otherwise data leaks like these happen all the loving time and no one cares that much. People get notified, they get offered help with what to do when you're a victim of something like this. It's inconvenient to be sure but it isn't life ending in the vast majority of cases.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Dubstep Jesus posted:

So did anyone in here watch Kaine's acceptance speech? I haven't been that enthralled by a speech in a long time. Can't believe people called him the "boring" pick.

Yes, it was really good! Guy isn't fiery, but he's charming and relatable and a fun guy, he'll be VP Dad and that's no bad thing. Plus being able to convincingly launch into Spanish may come across as pandering, but it's a big thing for a lot of people. The other thing I've heard a lot of people say is that his faith background will help with religious moderates who might be wavering.

If he performs like this at the VP debate I'll have a poo poo-eating grin the whole time.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The funniest thing is, Bernie already went on the record that he believes in God in November 2015, so this was pure slanderous insinuation they were contemplating

quote:

Are you observant?

No.

Do you believe in God?

Yeah, I do. I do. I'm not into organized religion. But I believe that what impacts you impacts me, that we are all united in one way or another. When children go hungry, I get impacted. When kids die because they can't afford medicine, I get impacted. We are one world and one people. And that belief leads me to the conclusion that we just cannot turn our back on human suffering.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/bernie-sanders-political-revolution-20151118

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

If I sent something like that to my CEO I would expect a formal reprimand at the very least, or even something more than "AMEN."

Maybe he got a personal call or visit for the reprimand? One person says "AMEN" and suddenly everyone was totally fine with that idea (which is why they didn't do it)? And all the donors knew this was happening which is why it's okay to ruin their lives?

And people can get away with saying a lot of stupid poo poo. You probably have more work experience than me so I'm surprised you don't know that.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

SedanChair posted:

Bigotry is OK, or not worth mentioning, because after all it is the status quo.

How offensive would a "brainstormed" strategy have to be for you not to blow it off? Secret black baby? Dad killed JFK?

Yes, I think making up lies about a candidate goes too far, but suggesting that someone ask Sanders about his religious faith in hopes that he fucks it up and reveals that he's a crypto-atheist is well within the bounds of political discourse.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

To be honest I'm kind of surprised that's the nastiest they got. That's loving some maple-story children tier "mud"
Arguably one of the Dems' and the Hillpaign's weaknesses has been them being painfully inoffensive and cheery to the point of awkwardness.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe he got a personal call or visit for the reprimand? One person says "AMEN" and suddenly everyone was totally fine with that idea (which is why they didn't do it)? And all the donors knew this was happening which is why it's okay to ruin their lives?

And people can get away with saying a lot of stupid poo poo. You probably have more work experience than me so I'm surprised you don't know that.

The person who said "AMEN" was Amy Dacey, CEO of the DNC.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Reason posted:

This is a huge problem right? Being attached to the ideals Bernie represented and then voting Hillary is kind of selling out. Bernie's biggest shtick was being against big money and Hillary is big money. I mean if your ideals are "I agree with democratic incrementalism" but you liked Bernie a little bit more than you probably aren't a sellout. But if you were like gently caress big corporations and big money and get money out of politics turning around and voting Hillary is kind of hypocritical considering on her actual record she tends to side with banks and big business.

I think this all depends upon how you view the two party system.

Many people that vote Clinton believe that it's the best way to advance Bernie's ideals because there's a much greater overlap between Hillary and Bernie's ideals, versus Trump. And Hillary has an enormous political advantage towards getting elected over a third party runner.

Bernie himself believes this, and that is why he endorsed her.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mike the TV posted:

I don't know about you but where I work you'll get fired for racist emails.

Lucky you I guess.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

That's a damning thing that didn't happen.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

On Terra Firma posted:

Tim Kaine seems like a nice guy. The difference in how Pence was introduced vs Kaine is pretty loving stark.

Can we talk about these things for a while

Raawr!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

The person who said "AMEN" was Amy Dacey, CEO of the DNC.

Wait, so who's that one person everyone hates there? I thought she was in charge.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

tim kaines speech was far better than i expected. whether or not that matters is another question

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wait, so who's that one person everyone hates there? I thought she was in charge.

Yeah, the antisemitic smears of DWS were pretty pathetic.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

That's a damning thing that didn't happen.

It's the CEO of the DNC literally endorsing the plan. It kind of doesn't matter that it didn't happen after that.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Reason posted:

welfare of the country lol. If you support a capitalist institution then you don't care about the welfare of human beings in general and if all you care about is the idea of America and the welfare of the notion of America then its more that your identity as an american is under attack and sorry if that hurts your feels, but thats more your ideology being under attack than you caring about the people that live in a country.

The saying one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter applies to all terrorists in the world. The best example of this of course is the US going to war in Iraq and Afghanistan. US soldiers may as well have been terrorists in those countries with the amount of non-combatants killed and still being killed in drone and air strikes in the middle east. So yeah, but there is no such thing as an innocent person in the US. As much as we'd like to claim that we're innocent every single person in the US is guilty of supporting a system that claims countless lives each year, both at home and across the globe.

You paid money to post in an Internet forum whose electronics are built and sold to capitalist countries

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

If we find out Tim Kaine is a secret furry I'm going to be so mad at my abuela.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SedanChair posted:

It's the CEO of the DNC literally endorsing the plan. It kind of doesn't matter that it didn't happen after that.

A thing that didn't happen: literally as bad as a thing that did happen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Yeah, it kind of does, because it means that there are enough institutional checks to prevent one person's stupidity from being enacted. It means there is resiliency in the system.

But hey, you never did tell us how releasing donor data was crucial to getting us this non-story?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I already said it wasn't crucial, it was careless. It's also not terribly important.

Bip Roberts posted:

A thing that didn't happen: literally as bad as a thing that did happen.

Correct, the CEO gave approval and Democrats are such cowards that there is no interest in ousting her or even asking her about it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zanzibar Ham posted:

One person says "AMEN" and suddenly everyone was totally fine with that idea (which is why they didn't do it)?.

Pretty sure at one of the Town Halls someone did ask Bernie "Do you believe in god?". So maybe they did it, maybe they didn't. It kind of goes against the point of having a town hall where people get to ask honest questions for the DNC to then plant a specific Gotcha! question like that. Pretty sure Bernie aced the question better than any religious person would have though. Something about caring for everyone and how all lives effect others' lives.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Correct, the CEO gave approval and Democrats are such cowards that there is no interest in ousting her or even asking her about it.

Agreed, because it didn't happen so no one cares.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh wow Sedan, did you miss this little E-mail?

quote:

Re: No poo poo

From:MARSHALL@dnc.org To: MirandaL@dnc.org, PaustenbachM@dnc.org, DaceyA@dnc.org Date: 2016-05-05 03:33 Subject: Re: No poo poo

It's these Jesus thing.

> On May 5, 2016, at 1:31 AM, Brad Marshall <MARSHALL@dnc.org> wrote:
>
> It might may no difference, but for KY and WVA can we get someone to ask his belief. Does he believe in a God. He had skated on saying he has a Jewish heritage. I think I read he is an atheist. This could make several points difference with my peeps. My Southern Baptist peeps would draw a big difference between a Jew and an atheist.

And the AMEN reply is a direct reply to the above. Since he replied to this rather than to the original it's pretty clear he's doing the AMEN for the explanation as to why they wouldn't like an atheist.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Reason posted:

Pretty sure at one of the Town Halls someone did ask Bernie "Do you believe in god?". So maybe they did it, maybe they didn't. It kind of goes against the point of having a town hall where people get to ask honest questions for the DNC to then plant a specific Gotcha! question like that. Pretty sure Bernie aced the question better than any religious person would have though. Something about caring for everyone and how all lives effect others' lives.

A quick check tells that happened on February, before the e-mail.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yinlock posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure if Wikileaks didn't just broadcast it all like morons they wouldn't have the chance to broadcast it.

Like I'm actually all for something like Wikileaks existing, but I don't think anyone would have blamed them at all for just putting black bars over donors' names or whatever.

They used to take the time to do things like censor out things that appeared to be SSNs or credit card numbers even, in previous releases. It seems they just got super lazy in recent years?

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

joeburz posted:

tim kaines speech was far better than i expected. whether or not that matters is another question

Is this online in full anywhere? I'm only finding small clips.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
And the biggest concern out of all this is that the DNC is so incompetent and heavy-handed that from time to time they make Donald Trump actually have a point.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/756804886038192128

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yinlock posted:

This is absolutely true, but I just don't think it justifies loving some innocent people over.

There's also a difference between "He's apparently an atheist but has used his Jewish heritage for political gain, see what's up with that" and "He's a Jew that's bad.". I mean it's still cynical as gently caress so tomato tomahto, but it doesn't seem THAT bad, or at least not worth loving people over for.

"Let's try this potential gotcha question" is roughly a centibaelish on the nefariosity scale.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

fishmech posted:

They used to take the time to do things like censor out things that appeared to be SSNs or credit card numbers even, in previous releases. It seems they just got super lazy in recent years?

In fact during the cable leaks, they made a big deal about how they carefully scrubbed any personal information out of them.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I don't quite understand why they were e-mailing peoples' personal info back and forth instead of using some secure database in the first place. They have a database with that information in it, and using plain text e-mail seems like a breach of trust for donors. I haven't actually been able to find a credit card number or social security number yet though, bunch of names.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fishmech posted:

It seems they just got super lazy in recent years?

It was deliberate. The Wikileaks Twitter admitted as much.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

These leaks tell me nothing about the DNC I really care about compared to their existing problems with economics,race, drone warfare etc, and if this is the thing that makes you decide not to vote that way that seems like an incredible own goal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Reason posted:

I don't quite understand why they were e-mailing peoples' personal info back and forth instead of using some secure database in the first place. They have a database with that information in it, and using plain text e-mail seems like a breach of trust for donors. I haven't actually been able to find a credit card number or social security number yet though, bunch of names.
I suspect the database was also stolen and made available.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Jew or atheist one is the only email I see being bandied around. Is that seriously the only incriminating thing they could find?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I don't understand the impulse to defend the DNC over thinking it's OK to question someone's Jewishness. Do you guys think Hillary's campaign will implode if you admit that's a really lovely thing to do?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

greatn posted:

The Jew or atheist one is the only email I see being bandied around. Is that seriously the only incriminating thing they could find?

Pretty much.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

I suspect the database was also stolen and made available.

Could anyone link that then? I mean a whole bunch of people are angry about little old grandma's $5 but that poo poo ain't in here. So far it looks like it was mainly big donors who got to wine and dine el presidente that had their DOB and SS# leaked because they used plain text email to respond to an email from the organizer of one of those donor dinners.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Arguments like this are why normal people throw up their hands, disengage from politics, and don't vote. Hope this helps

Feature, not bug. If everyone actually participated (someone is going to say this is bad thing, mob rule or something) the parties would be completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah this seems like a poo poo thing to consider regardless if it was actually implemented especially considering the concern trolling of Sanders and his supports being racists.

• Locked thread