Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Just got back from Beyond.

Loved it, top to bottom. And I hate Into Darkness.

Every character has something to do. Everyone plays their characters really well. The music takes a ton of cues from 60's Trek. They paid tribute to Nimoy, Anton, and the original crew many times.

The opening scene is one of my favorite bits. "I tore my shirt again. : /" killed me.

I thought Idris Elba was wasted under the makeup at the start of the movie, but that worked itself out towards the end and I think he was great.

The Yorktown is amazing, one of the most creative Trek sets in generations.

It's still the very actiony New Trek, but I think the plot is great and its overall well-written.

The climax was the stupidest, loudest, most audacious, amazing perfect thing.

Put Jaylah in a Starfleet uniform and never take her away from me, she's basically Trek's Drax the Destroyer and I am cool with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Excelsior is an ugly whale of a ship with misplaced Art Deco elements, a nonsensical drive section with stubby nacelle pylons, and an undersized saucer. It's hideous, and that's without even mentioning the bizarre teal and charcoal color scheme.

gently caress the Excelsior.

Don't forget that much of its design was driven by Ken Ralston flat-out hating working with the Constitution Refit model that Doug Trumbull built.

Baronjutter posted:

Also did we really see any of these in the dominion war?

Unless I'm forgetting something, the only time we see an Ambassador-class in DS9 is briefly in Emissary.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's very Starfleet to design something with the intention of being a "true front line heavy cruiser" and calling it Ambassador.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The Great White Fleet was LIKE an Ambassador.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So the Axanar jackwagons hijacked a panel at SDCC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Proper nacelles belong ABOVE the saucer section.

It's Richard Hatch, does anything this man does shock anyone these days?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Starfleet in the Dominion war was apparently nothing but Excelsiors, Galaxies, Mirandas, and a handful of Akiras. And fighter wings, for some reason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

It's Richard Hatch, does anything this man does shock anyone these days?

Considering he basically blackmailed his way onto the BSG reboot ... no, not really.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but given how heavily Beyond references elements of ENT, is there a mostly agreed upon list of episodes worth watching? I've been binging on Netflix and it's kind of a slog, and that theme song :barf:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Just got back from Beyond, and I loved it. Definitely the best of the nu-trek series. There's not much I can say about it that hasn't already been said in this thread, but I'll echo the stuff about how I wish Krall's backstory could have been revealed earlier in the film to open up some more exploration of his motivations, since I think there's a kernel of something interesting and socially relevant in there, but the movie didn't really have time to explore it much. Also, Jaylah's cool and I'm so glad they didn't try to push a romance subplot on her and I hope she joins the crew in the next movie. In general, the crew looked a lot more diverse than in any other iteration of Star Trek, too, which was nice.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 23, 2016

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Moddington posted:

Starfleet in the Dominion war was apparently nothing but Excelsiors, Galaxies, Mirandas, and a handful of Akiras. And fighter wings, for some reason.

I love the Akira design. What a beautiful little starship.

I've been thinking a little more about STB - was there some technobabble I missed that would explain how the swarm managed to take down the Enterprise so quickly? Their en masse ramming manoeuvre was really cool but there must have been some incidental dialogue about 'shields out of phase' or something right?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Duncan Doenitz posted:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but given how heavily Beyond references elements of ENT, is there a mostly agreed upon list of episodes worth watching? I've been binging on Netflix and it's kind of a slog, and that theme song :barf:

Enterprise is a good show. If you really want to skip over some stuff, you can probably miss most of season 2. Seasons 3 and 4 are usually pretty excellent.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Duncan Doenitz posted:

Honestly, if I were to suggest episodes for a new watcher, it would pretty much just be the pilot and season 4. There's some decent stuff in the first three seasons but it's sandwiched between such boring garbage that I'm not sure someone new to the series would even bother finishing it all. Here's a short list for seasons 1 & 2. Season 3 is one long arc so it's tough to just cherry pick.

Broken Bow
The Andorian Incident
Shadows of P'Jem
Carbon Creek
Minefield
Dead Stop
The Catwalk
First Flight

There's a few others that may be worth watching but I'd check these out first. I liked Enterprise, but it really struggles to find its footing and escape the boring plots that Voyager championed for 7 years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There aren't really any unwatchable episodes in Season 3 that I can recall

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There aren't really any unwatchable episodes in Season 3 that I can recall

Exile. The recap in the following episode contains all the relevant information.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Exile. The recap in the following episode contains all the relevant information.

That's the one where Hoshi has to hang out with the loner alien in exchange for navigational info? That episode is so godawful that I remember exactly where and how bored I was when I watched it. About halfway through the episode, I started reading the year-old tabloids my grandmother kept on the sofa table.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh yeah, that one. That was unnecessary.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Extinction" is very bad.

edit:

From Memory-Alpha:

According to Trekweb, LeVar Burton went to the producers and told them he was "ashamed" that he had directed this episode.

Ten years after this episode aired, Brannon Braga called "Extinction" "one of the singularly most embarrassing episodes of Star Trek I've ever been involved with." ("In a Time of War, Part Three", ENT Season 3 Blu-ray special features)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Robutt posted:

I love the Akira design. What a beautiful little starship.

I've been thinking a little more about STB - was there some technobabble I missed that would explain how the swarm managed to take down the Enterprise so quickly? Their en masse ramming manoeuvre was really cool but there must have been some incidental dialogue about 'shields out of phase' or something right?

Yes, they do verbally point out why that happens so quickly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Robutt posted:

Yes plus they take out the deflector array pretty quickly. Shield protect against energy weapons, photon torps and the like. Micrometeorites and other particles are repelled by the deflector array, and it's not absolute -- they still have to navigate around asteroids and big poo poo. . . the ships just push their way through since they're propelled.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blazing Ownager posted:

With the unfortunate death of Anton (I will say I just saw the movie and it bummed me out every time he was on screen no matter how much I tried to avoid being bummed about it) I suspect her introducing is real good timing, and that she may very well take his spot on the bridge in the next film. I am also totally OK with that as she was a good well-defined character and like you said, they didn't see the need to saddle her with relationship stuff.

That said, it was a lot of fun and the worst parts of the trailer were some of the best parts of the movie. Nice surprise.

Whoever cut the trailer together should be demoted to the guy who cleans the trailer editor's desk. It was loving awful on nearly every level; the only sin it didn't do is giving a step-by-step of the whole movie. Those are the worst trailers.

I agree with all of the above, in detail, especially being loving bummed about Anton, because he was so good in this. Jayla seems to be emerging as a very well-timed fan favorite, so I think chances are good. She's a whiz kid, out-engineering Scotty on occasion, and she's got a warrior aspect to her that the shows usually filled with Klingons for obvious reasons, but she's free to have other dimensions since she doesn't have the cultural and canon baggage of a known race. I like it. Also probably some naivete? The closest comparison I can think of for her is probably Chiana from Farscape, who was also a great character.

Gnome de plume posted:

her traps and how they played their parts later on.

I though this was worth calling out. I really liked this. I feel like Hollywood blockbusters don't even bother to put Chekhov's gun on the mantelpiece anymore, they just summon it from thin air and fire when needed. Pegg did a good job of attacking this not like a movie writer, but like a, well, science fiction writer. Mind fuckin' blown, right?

armoredgorilla posted:

Just got back from Beyond.

Loved it, top to bottom. And I hate Into Darkness.

Every character has something to do. Everyone plays their characters really well. The music takes a ton of cues from 60's Trek. They paid tribute to Nimoy, Anton, and the original crew many times.

The opening scene is one of my favorite bits. "I tore my shirt again. : /" killed me.

I thought Idris Elba was wasted under the makeup at the start of the movie, but that worked itself out towards the end and I think he was great.

The Yorktown is amazing, one of the most creative Trek sets in generations.

It's still the very actiony New Trek, but I think the plot is great and its overall well-written.

The climax was the stupidest, loudest, most audacious, amazing perfect thing.

Put Jaylah in a Starfleet uniform and never take her away from me, she's basically Trek's Drax the Destroyer and I am cool with that.

Yes.

the real blah posted:

As corny as hell as it was, I really dug the Sabotage scene and the "Classical music" line.

I was going to hate that so much, and then the setup was perfect and the payoff was glorious, and it felt totally earned.

Also, the bit where Kirk goes "Good choice." and you just get that clicking sense that this crew is a team, that they don't just work well but fit perfectly together. They're pointed like the Starfleet arrowhead they all wear: a little warped, but boldly so, and sharp where it counts, and focused on the right direction - upward. As symbols go, I think it's one of the best in history. Certainly one of the most personally meaningful to me.

...So yeah. I'm still a little emotional about this movie.

What time do we get new TV series details, anyone know?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I believe the 50th anniversary panel starts in about two minutes and goes for an hour. We should be getting some announcements very very soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I believe the 50th anniversary panel starts in about two minutes and goes for an hour. We should be getting some announcements very very soon.

This is seriously the best SDCC as far as trailers and announcements in a long time. I am marking the gently caress out right now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I figure if it's good enough design to last nearly a century it's a good ship.

PS this guy has a lot of good star trek space ship drawings
http://unusualsuspex.deviantart.com/gallery/46703733/Orthos

Welp there goes the rest of my day.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Loath as I am to suggest people read his poo poo, but Devin Faraci is live-tweeting the panel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Loath as I am to suggest people read his poo poo, but Devin Faraci is live-tweeting the panel.
The @TrekMovie account is doing a better job

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did anyone else notice that the little device looked a lot like a Guyver unit?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Also loved that the Yorktown crew wasn't baffled by the Frederick's last ditch plan and all "DUH WHAT ARE THEY DOING?" but immediately picked up on it and were like "YO BLAST THOSE SICK TUNES TOO"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus. An hour-long panel and the only information about the new series was that it will be serialized, not episodic, and a title: Star Trek Discovery. The rest of it was Shatner, Spiner, Dorn, Bakula and Ryan just patting each other on the back.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Timby posted:

Jesus. An hour-long panel and the only information about the new series was that it will be serialized, not episodic, and a title: Star Trek Discovery. The rest of it was Shatner, Spiner, Dorn, Bakula and Ryan just patting each other on the back.

Apparently there was a teaser trailer, at least. Looks like it's already on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqm9HSYbf0o

Yeesh, this CGI looks pretty bad.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 23, 2016

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

U.S.S. Discovery, NCC-1031.

Welp, that boat looks very JJ-Trekish. Could the number hint on the date this will take place in?

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 23, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That ship design

:barf:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pakled posted:

Apparently there was a teaser trailer, at least. Looks like it's already on youtube.

That ship is heavily reminiscent of a Klingon Bird of Prey from the original series. Or maybe a Warbird. One of the two.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus, that's an ugly ship. Looks like they drew inspiration from Ralph McQuarrie's rejected design from Planet of the Titans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Jesus, that's an ugly ship. Looks like they drew inspiration from Ralph McQuarrie's rejected design from Planet of the Titans.

I thought it was familiar. Gross.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So any speculation on a time period? Almost looks post-ENT yet still pre-TOS.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Literally the ugliest ship.

And the teaser was quite odd. It looked worse than the CGI that Fan projects pump out. Not really the best introduction to the series for anyone. I'm actually a bit worried about it now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Thom12255 posted:

Literally the ugliest ship.

And the teaser was quite odd. It looked worse than the CGI that Fan projects pump out. Not really the best introduction to the series for anyone. I'm actually a bit worried about it now.

It was so weightless. I couldn't possibly imagine people actually on the ship, it was so transparently just a CGI model-I know it's just a teaser, but teasers usually suck as a rule and should be done away with.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
It makes me think that CBS is giving them barely any money to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Pakled posted:

Yeesh, this CGI looks pretty bad.

The drive section with the large wing-like pylons makes it look like a TOS Klingon warship. edit: beaten to the punch like Worf.