Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I dunno I don't find it weird like at all. It's a fun serial story that people rather speculate about and then have the answers slowly revealed to them rather than look up for themselves. Saying Just Read The Manga if you care enough to speculate is real lame imo.

A lot of that two killer speculation is gonna right out the window when we get a good luck at Killer Queen and Sheer Heart Attack, but I'm real happy people are interested enough to even speculate about.

I forget where we learn that Kira didn't take Reimi's hand because he was shaken after his first murder or maybe I totally made that up?

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RaspberryCommie posted:

Personally I'm loving all the speculation in the thread and I'm actually kinda glad they didn't read the manga first in a way.

Do not misquote me when you can probably find genuine "I hate fun" posts by me, THANK YOU.

And I did say I like it, even though I find it personally weird/dumb/stupid whatever you want to delete there. :colbert:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Dexie posted:

The ending to Bohemian Rhapsody feels super abrupt. :psyduck:

EDIT: OH poo poo ROMEO. Beat his rear end, Jolyne. :argh:

much like king crimson, bohemian rhapsody can best be explained by a futurama episode

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Moltrey posted:

Yeah I dunno I don't find it weird like at all. It's a fun serial story that people rather speculate about and then have the answers slowly revealed to them rather than look up for themselves. Saying Just Read The Manga if you care enough to speculate is real lame imo.

A lot of that two killer speculation is gonna right out the window when we get a good luck at Killer Queen and Sheer Heart Attack, but I'm real happy people are interested enough to even speculate about.

I forget where we learn that Kira didn't take Reimi's hand because he was shaken after his first murder or maybe I totally made that up?

something something he was new to killing and hadn't fully gotten down his signature style + didn't want to hang around. also i assume he didn't have his stand by then?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Johnny Joestar posted:

something something he was new to killing and hadn't fully gotten down his signature style + didn't want to hang around. also i assume he didn't have his stand by then?

His daddy shoots him with his copy of the Arrow after the messy, messy Reimi business IIRC

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Reimi was definitely exploded. That's the whole reason she can recognize Kira's other victims.

She didn't lose her hand, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kira definitely got his stand after Reimi. Enya gave his pops an arrow, but it's not especially clear as to when he got Killer Queen. "The Arrow struck Yoshikage again"

I would tend to think it's more recently than not though because he seemed a little surprised that Shigechi had a stand (and didn't have the yo they're called Stands memo) so I'm not sure he'd met a user before then either.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 23, 2016

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Reimi was definitely exploded. That's the whole reason she can recognize Kira's other victims.

She didn't lose her hand, iirc, because Kira got nervous after killing her, since it was his first kill or maybe he realized Rohan got away, and bailed. Kira's actually a big scaredy cat.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The scars on her back and Arnold's gross neck cut imply that he used knifes back then and didn't have his stand. Also must be way harder to convince yourself to cut an arm off than to just explode everything except the arm with a touch.

What's weird isn't the speculation in the other thread, it's the guy thinking Kira was a fakeout when people were posting about how he is the best villain ever in there. It will be fun to see people get surprised by Killer Queen.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 23, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

e:

So basically, the earliest Kira had KQ was like 1987 or so because Joseph says he'd had HP for around a year at the start of SDC. Enya and DIO only having them for a short time and Enya being the source would mean Kira definitely didn't have KQ when Reimi died and her recognising the signature is weird/inconsistent or whatever. That or KQ's bombs kill people by exploding in that same pattern on a person. Dad Kira being dead for 9 years means nothing in terms of when he used the arrow of course. I forget if it elaborates further on Kira getting KQ.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 23, 2016

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

at the time he was just satisfied with licking her hand like a fucko creep, but as time went on he became desensitized to these paltry perversions and had to satisfy his fetish in more and more hosed up ways.

a cautionary tale.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, Kira was stabbed with his dad's arrow sometime after his first murder of Reimi and at that point his dad probably realized that it wouldn't kill him in the process. Kira had never seen another Stand User before Shigechi and his father died when Kira was 21 so he's had Killer Queen for at least 10 years, just thinking that it was a weird power he had, but his ghost dad was watching over him for years, right? Not just until it came time to team up to fight Josuke? So Kira just though poo poo was weird with his family.

It's also possible Kira still does the massive scar thing since we never see him kill when the fingernails tell him to/when he gets the undeniable compulsion, just out of "necessity" or when he thinks someone is a threat and he certainly doesn't have the time for that then. Kira's strange in that he talks about wanting to choke women on the street and even approaches his new wife with the intent to choke her from behind until he snaps out of it, despite having this ability to wipe her from existence. So it seems that when he's just doing it for the sick thrills, he'll get his hands dirty, but if he's got heat on him, then you just get exploded.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Yoshikage Kira: the history and implications of a boner.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Kira was 21 so he's had Killer Queen for at least 10 years, just thinking that it was a weird power he had, but his ghost dad was watching over him for years, right? Not just until it came time to team up to fight Josuke? So Kira just though poo poo was weird with his family.

It's impossible to say because Ghost Dad being dead does not inhibit his ability to use the arrow, obviously.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Moltrey posted:

It's also possible Kira still does the massive scar thing since we never see him kill when the fingernails tell him to/when he gets the undeniable compulsion, just out of "necessity" or when he thinks someone is a threat and he certainly doesn't have the time for that then.

Wasn't that exactly what happened when he was caught by his son*?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I just caught up on Jojolion after having stopped on Paper Moon Deception like a year and a half ago. I have to say, so far, it's definitely not my favourite part. The base concepts of the story are just not really doing it for me; though of course Araki's execution is perfect, and VItamin C was some loving strong body horror. Maybe I'll enjoy it more now that most of the mystery part of the story is finished. But as ideas, the stone men and the fruit just seem weak. Probably also not helped by the fact that the translation is kinda bad (the amount of vowel drawing is obsceee~~~n and really messes up with my reading rhythm); I didn't look too hard, are there any other translation projects for it?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I would almost consider that a special case since he had no intentions of killing that day. His fingernails were getting long quickly and he could feel his need rising, but was holding back because he knew he needed to hang low as Kosaku for a while longer, but then being obnoxious and insulting his cool nail clippers set him off.

He does force the woman to cut his fingernails, and this is probably waaaaaay reading into it, but it's possible that one time thing of making someone else do it was brought on by a "I need to stop doing this, cut my fingernails now so I can stave this off for a while longer", almost if that kill was like a quick fix to tide him over. This is a dumb thing to say since he never shows guilt over it, but it feels like he didn't really want to kill then, at least not like that.

But he still made that hand his girlfriend, gotta get something out of it i guess

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's impossible to say because Ghost Dad being dead does not inhibit his ability to use the arrow, obviously.
Oh duh, yeah, my bad

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I guess there's technically two killers if you count Kawajiri, so that guy technically isn't wrong!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm like that people are speculating as to whether Kira is the main villain in the OP or what the OP's mean, but it's frustrating to me to read stuff way off base when answers are already freely available. I don't get what's fun in trying to guess something you can actually find out.

If you have all this time to read into something, or post about whatever at length, you can totally knock out 2 chapters of the manga.

I'm really enjoying it, so there.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Why even read the anime thread at all if you don't want to see people follow it?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Schwarzwald posted:

She recognizes his victim by the stab in their back, like Koyasu's.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/shiratanman/status/757011590373703680/photo/1

e: it looks like that star platinum is megasized and I've seen another jotaro kujo that's megasized floating around so this is clearly a ploy to get us to buy more of the same characters, in larger sizes, and it's going to loving work on me

https://twitter.com/torakoriannu/status/757022745330724864

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 24, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The revolting Dio WF special edition comes with a "How many Breads?" speech bubble

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 24, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I don't remember Nightcrawler showing up in JoJo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baoh

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Great, now I went and looked through the other stuff Araki's done and was reminded he had actually drawn the loving cover for an issue of the scientific journal Cell.

:allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think that's a legit good design and wish it were in the main series.

Remote Romance too

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's Remote Romance from?

I really like Araki's artwork for the Alex Rider books. I enjoyed reading the 3 or so books from that series I had as a kid and seeing him take "james bond stories, but with a young teen" and turn that into english punk/mod scene stuff is pretty wonderful and it almost makes me wish he'd do a manga adaptation straight up

e:

:unsmith:

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 24, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Remote_Romance

Best way to explain Remote Romance, really.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Iirc, Remote Romance is a Stand Araki made to explain live streaming of an exclusive video at a JoJo convention? Like technically we are all the Stand Users of Remote Romance? Its been a while since I read that wiki page, but I remember it being dumb and cool

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A couple of colour jobs of the new Gyro Zeppeli Super Action Statue what some people on /toy/ did to help give an impression of what the final figure may look like. The second colour is his Eyes of Heaven main.

I'm definitely in for Gyro... or would be if I didn't make myself even more poor than usual recently. *cough*

e: typo

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 24, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
One of my few hopes for part 9 is that Gappy ends up being to that part what Joseph is to part 3

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I want constantly frazzled dad Gappy trying to keep up with his twins and yasuho

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Valentine explaining how power works by using a napkin metaphor: good stuff.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The One Who Takes The Napkin speech is one of the best things Araki has ever written

"I wish you luck in taking the napkin" is maybe one of the funniest

e: I've seen people say that Valentine is a bad villain because he has no motivation for what he does aside for "Get the corpse" and "He loves America" but like, the napkin speech IS what drives him and so much of it is tied into Part 7's time period and setting, it's really neat

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 25, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's great because Valentine is already the president and has a stand that makes him invincible but that's not enough. He wants people to be automatically, unconsciously deferential to him in all things. He wants to be president of every room that he walks into for the rest of his life.

Being the president of the united states and still desiring more power and respect is really all the characterization Valentine needs.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Begemot posted:

He wants to be president of every room that he walks into for the rest of his life.

I fully support him 100% in this goal.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Valentine is a combination of such high nationalism for his country (his father was a solider and died, he became one as well, he's got the American flag on his back in scars), and having such a high opinion of himself that he truly believes that he can lead the US to even further greatness and the corpse will magnify that 100 fold. While part of it may be that he wants the power that comes with it, it's only second to how much he truly thinks he's doing what's right for everyone in the world and he will kill anyone he needs to to achieve it because these are all acts of Justice.

Valentine is very cool. Like I don't claim to fully understand what Pucci wanted or his motivations, but I think Valentine has some of his traits in that they both believe they're in the moral right, but I think Valentine is a better antagonist.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 25, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If Valentine talked about popping a boner at seeing the Mona Lisa he'd be my fav jojo villain.

As is he's only number 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
The last few chapters I've read have been cool and intense and D4C, but this loving guy with his "docile like a winter catfish" phrase...

Also yeah I like Valentine's rad scars. I'm trying to think of a reason why original Valentine was short and dumpy and this Valentine is not. Did he do some fuckery with a other universe body double, since his Secret Service seems to be terrible? That's the only thing I can think of, since the hint I was given was that it was related to his Stand.