Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like they could have just had 1-3 on the toolbar as those weird 2-hand things because who honestly needs more than 3 loadouts available at any given time and left the rest as normal slots that you can put non-gear stuff in freely

Personally I was fine with just the one, because you could switch it on the fly using the number keys to select the left hand and shift + number key to select the right hand item. It was much more flexible since you could make your standard loadout something like gun + shield then switch to bandage + shield or gun + flashlight or whatever on the fly. With this new system you can only switch to whatever combo you pre-selected and the smaller number of slots is a pain especially when you want to hotbar a bunch of blocks for building.

So far I think the combat is actually okay. Still not as good as when it didn't have touch damage but at least weapons have decent knockback and invulnerability times now. Still took a bunch of unnecessary hits trying to dash past enemies mid-combat though. Guns are still pretty underwhelming overall but I did find a sniper rifle that seemed to have some kind of penetration that let it hit multiple enemies and also enough knockback that enemies literally couldn't close in on me as I plunked away at them. At least they're more common now, I just beat the first boss and already found 4 of them, I still remember the days when guns required hours of exploration or getting lucky with a dungeon. Also, gently caress the windup on hammers and axes, the piss-poor damage they do does not justify this massive decrease in attack speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Dose anyone know of the mod pack that reverted some of the "gameplay enhancements" that some of the newer builds had? All I remember of it is that the mod page had the chucklefish fish belly up as the logo and enabled sand mining, some of the removed bosses from "Upbeat Giraffe", and easier planting.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So does anyone know how to upgrade/expand the ship? I have these ship upgrade modules but no idea what to do with them.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

nexas posted:

Dose anyone know of the mod pack that reverted some of the "gameplay enhancements" that some of the newer builds had? All I remember of it is that the mod page had the chucklefish fish belly up as the logo and enabled sand mining, some of the removed bosses from "Upbeat Giraffe", and easier planting.

I'm guessing you're talking about the Choke Le Fish mod, apparently some poo poo went down between the author and CF staff and the mod has been removed from Nexus and the CF mod repository.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Where the gently caress was any of this during the last three years?? This is all... good?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I played for 11 hours yesterday on normal difficulty. I got tired of the crazy penalties for death so I switched to Casual mode.

You can beam up from deep underground in Casual mode. There's no annoying hunger mechanic. You don't drop all your poo poo. Why the gently caress did I want to make this game irritating in the first place?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Met posted:

I played for 11 hours yesterday on normal difficulty. I got tired of the crazy penalties for death so I switched to Casual mode.

You can beam up from deep underground in Casual mode. There's no annoying hunger mechanic. You don't drop all your poo poo. Why the gently caress did I want to make this game irritating in the first place?

:hf: Casual Mode, aka the fun mode. Getting back out of caves is the single worst part of going into them, so being able to just teleport out of there is fantastic.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

nexas posted:

SovietPotatoe posted:

I'm guessing you're talking about the Choke Le Fish mod, apparently some poo poo went down between the author and CF staff and the mod has been removed from Nexus and the CF mod repository.
Thanks, I remember this existing but not what it was called. Not surprising there was some drama/takedowns considering this is Tiy we're talking about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I continue to enjoy the inventory where everything is tiny incomprehnsible eight pixel icons. It's so windows 95.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

I continue to enjoy the inventory where everything is tiny incomprehnsible eight pixel icons. It's so windows 95.

I wish that they had gone with a more modern, text based inventory so I could scroll through multiple screens worth of different colors of dirt.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Revol posted:

Mods I look forward to finding include more UI improvements, improved farming (don't have to be on planet for things to grow), and more content. Open to suggestions.

Something to stack food, for the love of God.

Not that I can connect right now for some reason.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

victrix posted:

How do I use food from my inventory? Or how do I auto-refill an empty food slot on my hotbar?

You just pick it up and left click while holding it.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Revol posted:

Seems the server has been more stable overnight. We'll see how it goes throughout the day.

I've done some searching for mods. Some I know I will install, mostly just simple life improvement and UI stuff. The rest, I want feedback on.

FrackinUniverse - This is a big mod pack that adds a lot of content. New weapons, armor, resources, biomes, etc etc. Seems pretty good.
FrackinRaces - This adds racial buffs to all vanilla races and the most popular mod races.
Illuminated Ores - Self explainatory. Not sure if these makes things too easy, though.
Active Stealth Module - Doesn't seem overly powerful.
Gound Penetrating Radar Station - Would make underground exploration too easy?
Base in a Box - Place prebuilt bases, or copy a base you build and paste it elsewhere.
Skizot's Dozers - Dozers to make leveling terrain a breeze.
Food Rarity - Color rarity for food, also hints to what the food does.
Hunger for Casual Mode - Nobody wants to play survival because of item loss. Do we want hunger?
XS Mechs - Who doesn't want mechs?

Feedback here:

Steam seems fine for pulling them. It will likely end up staying the more popular choice.

As for the mods themselves, there's really only one I oppose. Illuminated ore, if permanent, takes some of the fun out of exploring. If there's a temporary way to do it, that's cool.

It probably goes without saying, but let's also avoid anything that majorly messes with stability.

Thanks for getting this up and going!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

are you always supposed to have an option to teleport to the outpost from your teleporter on your ship? because on my singleplayer world i uh...don't. and i did on the multiplayer server where i first completed the story stuff

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Activate the teleporters, it'll ask you if you want to bookmark them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Starbound: Bad Game?

Is it a Starbortion?

Is it shitbound?

Is it Starbad?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm switching server hosts to see if the host was the problem with stability and not the game. Will let you know when it goes live, copying over universe data.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm not as salty as some of goons here on their opinion of the game but I do think it's rather :mediocre: as far as Minecraft style games go. :shrug:

That being said, I do like the soundtrack, it's very chill.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

New server host go go go

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Babe Magnet posted:

Activate the teleporters, it'll ask you if you want to bookmark them.

i'm pretty sure i did at some point, since i was able to freely come and go before. now i just can't. weird.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Revol posted:

New server host go go go

op updated

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm pretty sure i did at some point, since i was able to freely come and go before. now i just can't. weird.

yeah that's weird, I don't know what to tell you man, sorry

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Been playing with a friend for a few hours, we've found lots of cool weapons and fought a good number of different enemies just in the starting planets :shrug:

Play on casual though, gently caress not being able to teleport out and hunger and dropping poo poo, that's masochistic

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm not as salty as some of goons here on their opinion of the game but I do think it's rather :mediocre: as far as Minecraft style games go. :shrug:

Yeah, the soundtrack is pretty great. Kind of reminds me of Stardew Vallley, in that it's pretty soothing and relaxed.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this in my impressions but the soundtrack is really good. If there's one thing they did right it was the music.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

deadly_pudding posted:

:hf: Casual Mode, aka the fun mode. Getting back out of caves is the single worst part of going into them, so being able to just teleport out of there is fantastic.

I'm hoping they add more ways to adjust the difficulty in future updates, assuming the game sees significant updates.

It'd be nice if all the difficulty stuff was toggles so you could mix and match. I hate losing everything on death, but I wouldn't mind keeping the hunger mechanic for instance.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

adding nonrandom enemies was one of the few universally good changes they made

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm curious, in 1.0 when do you start being able to upgrade your ships? I'm sitting on a ton of modules, and just started mining platinum.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm curious, in 1.0 when do you start being able to upgrade your ships? I'm sitting on a ton of modules, and just started mining platinum.

IIRC, it's tied to recruiting crew so start building on planets. Alternatively I think there's a merchant in the outpost you can trade those to for upgrades.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm sure everyone was on the edge of their seat to learn this, but i was able to secure an outpost bookmark by using the ship ai to teleport directly to that icy place the penguin barkeep wanted me to go to to kill dreadwing and then using the tele there to go back to the teleport shop.

in case anyone mysteriously loses their bookmark, i guess. kind of an odd workaround

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

SovietPotatoe posted:

Well drat. I have a feeling that no one else tried to pick up the torch after that uh?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I would really like to see a mod that makes me take like, 25% damage from all sources. Even scrub enemies hit you so hard.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Casual Hunger Mod for those who asked for it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Maybe I haven't found the button yet but I think #1 on the list of things they could improve would be a hotkey that lets you place a torch regardless of whatever else you are carrying, like terraria does.

Something else cool to see would be like a couple icons that tell you more about monsters you find, like what can hurt on touch and what doesn't. Maybe even a little bestiary that fills with information of the things you kill, that would be awesome.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Any mod recommendations, besides the one for re-enabling hunger on casual mode?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inverness posted:

Starbound But It Makes That TIm Allen Grunt When Enemies Die

That's a real mod

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Here are some on the workshop:

Matter Manipulator Manipulator: It adds two options to the MM upgrade screen. One to customize the size, the other to make liquid collection optional.

Universal Uncrafter: Reduces items to their components.

Instant Crafting: Avoid wasting your limited time on Earth by waiting for items to be crafted.

Inventory UI Tweak: Gets that poo poo out of the way when you open them.

Illuminated Ores: Makes ores glow so you can see them from anywhere on the screen. It ventures into the realm of cheating though, I think.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 23, 2016

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm sure everyone was on the edge of their seat to learn this, but i was able to secure an outpost bookmark by using the ship ai to teleport directly to that icy place the penguin barkeep wanted me to go to to kill dreadwing and then using the tele there to go back to the teleport shop.

in case anyone mysteriously loses their bookmark, i guess. kind of an odd workaround

the reason you didn't have the outpost teleport is because your teleport locations are saved per universe, and the multiplayer universe is different than the single player universe, fyi

Inverness posted:

If you play a lot of music, Extended Songbook is a must have.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone throw a bunch of mods into a steam workshop collection of what's good?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Welp, in half an hour we were disconnected from the goon server about 6 times, keeps rolling back, and this is on 2 different hosts now so yeah I'm filing Starbound under "dumpsterfire pissvomit waste of poo poo". Doesn't help that the game still runs like pigshit on every system regardless of specs, all the moronic gameplay elements are still there, combat is dull and bullshit, game still looks and plays like an EA title, Chucklefish are loving bad and I hope Supernorn has another meltdown over people rightly hating this loving abortion shitmess of a "game". Like wow, you guys must have hit the Guiness World Record of the World's Longest Continuous Defection and loving obliterated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

nightwisher posted:

Welp, in half an hour we were disconnected from the goon server about 6 times, keeps rolling back, and this is on 2 different hosts now so yeah I'm filing Starbound under "dumpsterfire pissvomit waste of poo poo". Doesn't help that the game still runs like pigshit on every system regardless of specs, all the moronic gameplay elements are still there, combat is dull and bullshit, game still looks and plays like an EA title, Chucklefish are loving bad and I hope Supernorn has another meltdown over people rightly hating this loving abortion shitmess of a "game". Like wow, you guys must have hit the Guiness World Record of the World's Longest Continuous Defection and loving obliterated it.

Nice Meltdown :3: