Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Are there any edit:decent JRPGs that have an approximation of Suikoden's home base mechanic?

Skies of Arcadia. The base and ship upgrade mechanics are somewhat similar.

Breath of Fire 2 had one and if you followed the right events it could even become mobile.

Xenoblade Chronicles has you rebuilding one of the towns through a series of mostly collection quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Sengoku Rance

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well. Uh. how about that.

Edit: I learned today that "comedy rape" is a tag. Thanks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sengoku rance is a

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Verranicus posted:

7th Dragon 2020 and its sequels, Exit Fate, Infinite Space, Sengoku Rance, Eien no Aselia, Xenoblade (Though it's largely optional).

Could probably come up with more if I went back and looked at import titles but I'm lazy.

EDIT: There was a series of RPG Maker games made back in the day called Legion Saga that were literally just new Suikodens, so if you don't mind the games being dated and rough around the edges you can track those down for free. They even had different war battles and castles that grew as you recruited people just like Suikoden.

:chanpop:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: I learned today that "comedy rape" is a tag. Thanks.
yeah, but there's no 'memes' tag

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I have changed my mind

HyperDimension Neptunia is actually an underappreciated gem

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Hey, he asked.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kanfy posted:

People play old games all the time for various reasons, if one wants to play the very original version despite better ones existing then that's fine but saying that's what they "should" play is total nonsense.

Are you one of those people that think you need to say "I think" or "IMO" before giving opinions or recommendations?

It's my recommendation that if you're playing DQ1 for history, to see how far games have come, then you should experience the original. (With a speed up option) It might be interesting to see when games made you go into a menu to go down stairs or to see just how much grind it made you do. If you're not playing it for history, then it's pretty outdated and lovely on any version.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So wait, he criticizes Compile Heart games but recommended an actual rape game for people to masturbate to?

Somehow I'm not as surprised as I thought I'd be.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
goodbye, verranicus

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was gonna ask if Suikoden V is good but, uh, well, hm

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Harrow posted:

i hear it's alright, way better than suikoden iv

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

It's very good, probably the best in the series after 2.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Harrow posted:

It has an extremely slow start. The pacing is all kinds of screwed. It also has some fairly annoying load times. Having said that, once you get past all of that it's a great game and much better than IV.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

it's got a super long intro, load times up the rear end, and the villains are literal nazis only the jews are replaced with beavers, like not a fantasy beaver-esque race but just literal beavers that talk, and it bends backwards a little too much to reference every other suikoden game even when it doesn't make much sense, but it's a good game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Verranicus posted:

Sengoku Rance

Ahahahaha.

ImpAtom posted:

Several Etrian Odyssey games have some basic mechanics, as does 7th Dragon Code VFD.

I think Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold is the only one that really has a building mechanic. The other games, not so much.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I bought a copy of Suikoden V when it came out and dropped it during the slow start, so maybe I should try it again sometime. I do like me some Suikoden.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you get past the slow start I'd say V is the best after 2 but the start is pretty slow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the start is kind of fun because they clearly put a lot of care into the cutscenes, there's a lot of really fun one-off animations and actually decent voice acting, but yeah, it does take forever and the load times don't help.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i can't believe that's how the saga ends

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

If you get past the slow start I'd say V is the best after 2 but the start is pretty slow.

Every time I think I want to play it again, I think about the tournament and I just put it back down. "Slow" almost doesn't do it justice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

It's a lot better if you can emulate to get rid of the insane load times and general slow pace

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

voltcatfish posted:

i can't believe that's how the saga ends

It isn't. Story wise the order of the games is 4, Tactics, 5, 1, 2, Suikogaiden 1, Suikogaiden 2, 3 with Tierkris having no connection to the rest.

In terms of how good each one is from best to worst: 2, 5, 3, 1, 4, Tactics, Tierkris is how I rank them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

the start is kind of fun because they clearly put a lot of care into the cutscenes, there's a lot of really fun one-off animations and actually decent voice acting, but yeah, it does take forever and the load times don't help.

I do feel the later events would have less impact without all the character connections and development of the intro, but it's definitely too long.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Suikoden V for whatever reason is the only rpg I really finished twice in the last decade, the characters and world is fun to be in for some reason. It has that kind of mixture of chill and serious intent that I want in my games.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Sengoku Rance probably has pretty neat gameplay if Sengoku Gensokyo is anything to go by. The aforementioned tags have turned me off from ever playing it though.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Oh yeah I was going to ask, I'm sorta interested in how 7th Dragon sounds but don't know anything about the series, is there an optimal game to start on?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Golden Battler posted:

Oh yeah I was going to ask, I'm sorta interested in how 7th Dragon sounds but don't know anything about the series, is there an optimal game to start on?

2020 if you care about the plot. It's aged well.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
vfd isn't as good mechanically as the 2020s, 7D is kind of detached from the rest and sorta really slow

so uh, maybe 2020? 2020-II isn't in english although it's my favorite one. VFD might be a small letdown afterwards though

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

cold steel 2 is coming out in a couple of months and has an airship that you fill with NPCs who perform various roles onboard it, and about 20ish playable characters, which isn't suikoden levels but is fairly large.

That said its plot won't make any sense without playing cold steel 1, and that game doesn't have a similar mechanic.
Dang, this sounds promising and I'd be willing to go back and play the first one, but no PS3 or Vita. Maybe I can borrow one from a friend..

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Golden Battler posted:

There's only one that's even officially translated, so if that's a thing for you, then...

I've never played the first or third ones, but from what I've heard the first is kind of boring and tedious, I found the second (2020) pretty cool if a bit easy, the 3rd (2020-II) is just an expansion of 2020 that improves it a bit overall, and the 4th (confusingly titled 7th Dragon III) is a slightly worse version of the 2nd, but still worth playing if you just really like character building RPGs like Etrian Odyssey.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The first one is basically an Etrian Odyssey 1 clone, only with the gameplay being more JRPG than DRPG based. It is also really grindy. There is a fan translation that included an optional patch to reduce the number of damage tiles (which is the main gimmick of the game) and the encounter rate, which is absurdly high normally. If you choose to play that one, please apply said patch for the sake of your sanity. 2020 is when the series started doing their own thing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
2020-ii isn't an expansion, it's a sequel. Granted it doesn't change much besides different classes and dungeons but the story is completely different.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Verranicus posted:

2020-ii isn't an expansion, it's a sequel. Granted it doesn't change much besides different classes and dungeons but the story is completely different.

Expansions often have their own storylines, but from what I've heard it reuses most of the same assets and dungeons. Of course, III also reuses the entire final dungeon from 2020 for its postgame...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Colonel posted:

i hear it's alright, way better than suikoden iv

I found IV unbearable and never got very far, but I finished V and loved it. There was one minigame I was no good at and had to ask my wife to do for me so I could get all 108 stars, though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Clarste posted:

Expansions often have their own storylines, but from what I've heard it reuses most of the same assets and dungeons. Of course, III also reuses the entire final dungeon from 2020 for its postgame...

Ok but this would be like calling Lunar 2 an expansion to Lunar 1, they use some of the same assets but they're totally different games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I know the weirdo suggested it first but definitely play Infinite Space.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Phantasium posted:

I know the weirdo suggested it first but definitely play Infinite Space.

Infinite Space is cool. Takes a while to figure out the combat but there's some pretty decent plot and characters there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I'm the weirdo that likes Suikoden 4, but I totally get why people don't like it. I just find tedious sailing to be relaxing or something!

Also, it's kind of amazing how respectfully Konami treated Suikoden. After Murayama left the company, Konami stuck to making prequels and alternate universe spinoffs, rather than trying to continue the story without Murayama's direction. They preferred to not touch the story at all rather than risk getting it wrong.

It just sucks that his rumored reunion with Konami never materialized and now clearly never will.