Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Sure glad the new DS video they've been hyping all week was a 20 second weird logo thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bill Barber posted:

Sure glad the new DS video they've been hyping all week was a 20 second weird logo thing.

there there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

there there.

Lol

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Bill Barber posted:

DS?

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Does anyone know what the heck happened to Tomokazu Fukushima? He cowrote MGS1-3 and a ton of the codec dialog, wrote Ghost Babel on his own and generally seemed to be important to development. I think his absence in MGS4 and beyond is pretty noticeable, but I can't find much info about him online beyond speculation.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

beepstreet posted:

Lol

MGS2 is really loving hard with no radar. Not having that great of a time with the Plant honestly... Having to constantly switch to first person view in order to see 5 feet in front of me is getting old real fast. I've already gotten Raiden killed like 20 times

Should mention that I didn't look up where the M9 is on Hard because I wanted more of a challenge but maybe I will. It's just that it trivialises the difficulty when you can walk in a room and silently dome piece everyone from the doorway.

why tf are u playing with no radar, theres a challenge and then theres just masochism

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I wanted to make it more challenging because I've played MGS2 the most out of any of them, and I didn't have Extreme unlocked on this ps3. But I started over because it was getting ridiculous. It's still tough before you find the node on each strut, but afterwards it's way simpler ofc. I'm still not gonna grab the M9.

I would kill to be able to play 1 and 2 with a modern 3rd person camera

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
finding the node and getting the map is such a relief

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

finding the node and getting the map is such a relief

Did you say Nerd

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Did you say Nerd

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i cant beat blade wolf so i have to assume metal gear rising is broken horseshit and quit

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

i cant beat blade wolf so i have to assume metal gear rising is broken horseshit and quit

learn👏to👏parry

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elf help book posted:

smh

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

learn👏to👏parry

The game doesn't explain it well so here you go - push the left stick towards the enemy while pressing square to parry.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

yea i know, i beat him right after posting that. still learning the timing

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Gotta let the stick go neutral then push towards the attack though

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Even if a pawn becomes a queen, it is still just a playing piece

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Playing MGS2 for the first time and I know it's a joke about the series but seriously, the amount of cutscenes is insane.

Also I just slipped on bird droppings and fell to my death. Man, this game.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Aston posted:

Playing MGS2 for the first time and I know it's a joke about the series but seriously, the amount of cutscenes is insane.

It is crazy. There are like 10 codec calls before you even leave Strut A

It's funny how if you've played the Tanker, the Colonel remarks you've already gone through the VR training but still info dumps the obvious on you.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I made it to Arsenal last night at 3am. It's been awhile so I wondered if it was still going to be as effectively creepy. Oh yes it is. I was playing with nice headphones for the first time. The sound design and music in there is very effective.

I love how Snake doesnt need your help at all when you're fighting the Tengu. Unlike most games, he'll wipe them the gently caress out all on his own

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played like the last 2/3 of MGS2 in one sitting as I was slowly sobering up from being drunk and slipping into sleep deprivation and it was an utterly magical experience

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i wonder if its possible to take that section on extreme with just the sword

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

beepstreet posted:

It is crazy. There are like 10 codec calls before you even leave Strut A

It's funny how if you've played the Tanker, the Colonel remarks you've already gone through the VR training but still info dumps the obvious on you.

I really wish the tanker mission had been the Raiden VR version where it played out the wrong way. It would've made the whole unreliable narrator bit more interesting

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aston posted:

Every cutscene in MGS2 kicks rear end.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Benny D posted:

I really wish the tanker mission had been the Raiden VR version where it played out the wrong way. It would've made the whole unreliable narrator bit more interesting

That would have been very cool. The Tanker as it is now is potentially already VR but it would be an interesting twist to have it be confirmed inaccurate in a big way.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Beat MGS2, got the mammoth rank cuz I ate 74 rations. I killed Solidus while i was bleeding out which felt great. Can't Say Goodbye To Yesterday is so epicly cheesy. Not sure it was the right song for such a mind gently caress ending but what are you gonna do.

MGS1 boss quality ranking:
1. Rex
2. Hind D
3. Raven
4. Mantis
5. Liquid
6. Wolf
7. Ocelot
8. Tank

MGS2 bosses:
1. Rays
2. Harrier
3. Solidus
4. Vamp
5. Fatman
6. Olga
7. Fortune

MGS3 bosses:
1. The End
2. The Boss
3. Volgin
4. Shagohod, yeah baby yeah!
5. The Fear
6. The Fury
7. Ocelot
8. The Pain
9. The Sorrow

I don't think I can beat MGS4 before July is over but I'm still gonna do it anyway. Playing these all back to back has been awesome

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I think I metal geared too much before July

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't launched a single Metal Gear game this month.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
i've been playing V a lot, but I gave my HD collection to a friend years ago. I'm sorry, Metal Gear July.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Yeah, seemed kinda low interest this year. Oh well. I'd stream MGS4 if there was interest / had a way to stream from my PS3.

Next year I'm gonna tackle the more obscure games like Ghost Babel and the Acids. I'd say V but that'll probably get played before then. I'll probably also try 3 on European Extreme game over if spotted. I've done it once before and it was awesome.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Wtf https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B01IPDSJ2E/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I haven't launched a single Metal Gear game this month.

I kept trying to play MGS on an Xbox controller in an emulator and while it ran fast and looked good, the controller was godawful for it so I decided to wait until I can buy a dualshock 2 or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's probably all the MGO skins in one pack so they can sell the same game for 60 dollars again.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's Chapter 3.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

beepstreet posted:

It's funny how if you've played the Tanker, the Colonel remarks you've already gone through the VR training

Haha that's good

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's Chapter 3.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

FactsAreUseless posted:

Every cutscene in MGS2 kicks rear end.

I tend to tune out at the 15 minute mark

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Alright I finished up MGS2. My stats:

Time: 17:42:21
Save: 15 times
Continue: 79 times
Alert Mode: 58 times
Persons: 93 killed
Rations: 76 used

Codename Elephant

I think I was playing on Hard but I'm not sure.

Overall I definitely preferred MGS1. I got pretty frustrated with this around the midpoint (the part where you have to shoot semtex on a bridge especially) but the ending was cool. Solidus was my favourite boss. I had real trouble staying engaged through the super long cutscenes and I understand it might get worse later in the series?

I'm going to start up MGS3 pretty soon, I've heard it's better than this one.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Aston posted:

Alright I finished up MGS2. My stats:

Time: 17:42:21
Save: 15 times
Continue: 79 times
Alert Mode: 58 times
Persons: 93 killed
Rations: 76 used

Codename Elephant

I think I was playing on Hard but I'm not sure.

Overall I definitely preferred MGS1. I got pretty frustrated with this around the midpoint (the part where you have to shoot semtex on a bridge especially) but the ending was cool. Solidus was my favourite boss. I had real trouble staying engaged through the super long cutscenes and I understand it might get worse later in the series?

I'm going to start up MGS3 pretty soon, I've heard it's better than this one.

MGS2 seems to be more interesting to think about then to actually play at points. Arsenal Gear forward is perfect, and the Tanker is great, but there are definitely pacing issues and the fact that the majority of the game is a deliberate reconstruction of MGS1 means that it feels a little less immediately engaging.

A lot of people consider MGS3 the high point of the series and I might agree with them. If you liked MGS1 more you'll definitely be more into it. It's a tighter experience - it's not philosophically ambitious like 2 is, but it's the most wholly satisfactory experience in the series. The gameplay is great and refined, the story is smaller and more personal in scope I'm a very effective way, and it's closer to 1 in the amount of cutscenes. 4 is where the ratio starts to really go off the hinges.

I think you're gonna love it. Just make sure you play the Subsistence or HD collection version so you get the good 3rd person controllable camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
HD collection version of 3 looks amazing

• Locked thread