Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What's the difference practically from showing a game using the editor WYSIWYG preview feature vs compiling the game into a desktop .exe? From my understanding they'll both perform the same way regardless, and I know in UE4 it has both an in-engine preview and also a standalone preview that runs the game in a separate window.

I mean, I can forgive them from not taking the time to compile something that's a WIP into a separate program just because some press show up at the door and they're still working on something. That said, I still refuse to believe that you can land anywhere on that planet object and get out of your ship and gravity will behave naturally. If they aren't simulating full orbital dynamics, then where does the physics grid start and where does it end? At what altitude does your commando use his jetpack?

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/AQsNxZE.gifv

capy down....again.

So, they aren't showing anything new, but at the same time they are showing something new.

Seems about right.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chalks posted:

So procedural generation via copy paste?

Hey, it works for roguelikes, so it's obviously good enough for Star Citizen — after all, Rogue was around in the '90s, which is the way to know that it was good. :v:

Really, it's one of two things: either they're using a tile-based algorithm — they have a bunch of “approved” terrain sets that are then being cobbled together by the (not-acual) proc gen. Or they use an algorithm that has very few parameters or very few different cases that it can use as a starting point, which makes the same output appear over and over again. If they're non-random, but rather based on the environment, then you can easily get into a self-reinforcing loop where the surrounding terrain only feeds a small set of values into the procedure, which just so happen to be the values that produce that very same terrain.

…and that's assuming, of course, that they're just faking it with a couple of overlapping repeated noise maps.

Good catte. You can tell by the size of the fish s/he's caught.

DOCa Cola
Feb 25, 2016

I am Ben Lesnicks wife, Alex IRL
Ask me anything!
If they actually did separate into these two builds (PU and planetary landing) then there is a good reason for that. A reason that prevented planets to work in the PU build. Something on the scale of a fugly workaround in the PU build that breaks some physics system required for planets or similar.
If there actually is a planetary landing build besides the regular PU/SQ42 build right now it will certainly take more than to the end of this year to get these two back together.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Wrecked Angle posted:

I don't give a poo poo what numbers they want to throw out 2.6, 2.7 it's meaningless waffle.

All I'm saying is that the summary says 'latest build feat. planetary landing' while the write-up says the planetary landing they did was done separately. If it was all integrated why wouldn't they have just woken up in their wankpod as normal, spawned a ship and then flown out to the planet to do the landing. I'm deducing/assuming whatever that it's because it wasn't possible to do that.

It was explained by their former director of operations (now with epic) that there's countless of different dev builds being juggled around within CIG and other game development companies as well, nothing special there. how do you imagine development otherwise to take place? everyone working on the same set of data and code monkeys constantely shouting: "Excuse me, can everyone please stop for a second... "

Obviously what PC Gamer staff was playing was their latest playable internal dev build feat. procedural generated planets, which most probably spawns you in front of a planet for convenience sake, what's so difficult to understand about that. 2.6 and 2.7 are meaningful in context that they would suggest a merge would have occured, which to our knowledge is not the case.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I didn't know if I should post the 1997, 1998, 2001 or 2008 trailers for Duke Nukem Forever.

But then i stumbled on this golden comment from more than a decade ago about DNF

funny how history repeats itself

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Justin Tyme posted:

What's the difference practically from showing a game using the editor WYSIWYG preview feature vs compiling the game into a desktop .exe? From my understanding they'll both perform the same way regardless, and I know in UE4 it has both an in-engine preview and also a standalone preview that runs the game in a separate window.

I mean, I can forgive them from not taking the time to compile something that's a WIP into a separate program just because some press show up at the door and they're still working on something.

In the case of a multiplayer game? Night and day difference, you're basically playing in single player mode.

On top of that you're able to turn off any assets or features which you don't need or which don't work. Also, despite these editors supposedly being WYSIWYG, half the time that's bollocks and the game does something complete differently to how it behaves in the editor.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

DOCa Cola posted:

If they actually did separate into these two builds (PU and planetary landing) then there is a good reason for that. A reason that prevented planets to work in the PU build. Something on the scale of a fugly workaround in the PU build that breaks some physics system required for planets or similar.
If there actually is a planetary landing build besides the regular PU/SQ42 build right now it will certainly take more than to the end of this year to get these two back together.

Honestly the PU is so loving barebones and lackluster they'd be better off making sure the separate build was done right and just redoing everything in that.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

The pattern that was more noticeable to me was this one

As prevalent as those examples are in that image, I'm sure at different angles / heights you would be seeing my pattern a lot more, probably others too.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tippis posted:

Hey, it works for roguelikes, so it's obviously good enough for Star Citizen — after all, Rogue was around in the '90s, which is the way to know that it was good. :v:

Really, it's one of two things: either they're using a tile-based algorithm — they have a bunch of “approved” terrain sets that are then being cobbled together by the (not-acual) proc gen. Or they use an algorithm that has very few parameters or very few different cases that it can use as a starting point, which makes the same output appear over and over again. If they're non-random, but rather based on the environment, then you can easily get into a self-reinforcing loop where the surrounding terrain only feeds a small set of values into the procedure, which just so happen to be the values that produce that very same terrain.

…and that's assuming, of course, that they're just faking it with a couple of overlapping repeated noise maps.

Either way, any procedural generation that means that literal entire mountains are repeated over and over is completely pointless. It looks dumb when you're in orbit because the repetition is obvious, and when you're on the ground you'll keep coming across identical looking locations.

DOCa Cola
Feb 25, 2016

I am Ben Lesnicks wife, Alex IRL
Ask me anything!
The PU is one single workaround
If this planetary landing build exists as separate entity, then the responsible developers did that in order to get their job done.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

sorla78 posted:

It was explained by their former director of operations (now with epic) that there's countless of different dev builds being juggled around within CIG and other game development companies as well, nothing special there. how do you imagine development otherwise to take place? everyone working on the same set of data and code monkeys constantely shouting: "Excuse me, can everyone please stop for a second... "

Obviously what PC Gamer staff was playing was their latest playable internal dev build feat. procedural generated planets, which most probably spawns you in front of a planet for convenience sake, what's so difficult to understand about that. 2.6 and 2.7 are meaningful in context that they would suggest a merge would have occured, which to our knowledge is not the case.

I'll tell you what. You continue to think that it spawns them in front of the planet "for convenience sake" and I'll continue to think that it spawns them in front of the planet because the rest of the star system doesn't even exist in that build and that quite probably the hacks they have used to be able to land on a planet are completely incompatible with the rest of the PU.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

If they aren't simulating full orbital dynamics, then where does the physics grid start and where does it end? At what altitude does your commando use his jetpack?

We don't need any of that physics poo poo for screenshots, let's go play with the space door again.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Wrecked Angle posted:

I'll tell you what. You continue to think that it spawns them in front of the planet "for convenience sake" and I'll continue to think that it spawns them in front of the planet because the rest of the star system doesn't even exist in that build and that quite probably the hacks they have used to be able to land on a planet are completely incompatible with the rest of the PU.

originally we debated about the gist of translation, instead we waste energy on poo poo that shouldn't actually bother us. :)

tell you what - why even argue, let's wait for the end of this year to see what's going to happen, maybe of all the deadlines and ultimatums being fired around - someone will actually be correct at some point, that would actually be a pleasant surprise.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

iron buns posted:

10 page exclusive preview with screenshots and interviews.

The game's totally coming out. Soon!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

ctrl+c, ctrl+v is technically a procedure

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chalks posted:

There's actually tons of papers on that, the actual term is "example-based" rather than copy-paste, mind you. Gives way more natural results than the usual perlin noise based stuff, Disney use it for their procedural textures since Tangled. That being said I strongly doubt that's what's at work here (ie it's not) since that kind of stuff doesn't work in anything near real time.

EDIT: Oooh, tile based, yeah, that'd work. Should kinda suck when viewed from orbit though, depending on the size of the tiles.

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 23, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

sorla78 posted:

originally we debated about the gist of translation, instead we waste energy on poo poo that shouldn't actually bother us. :)

tell you what - why even argue, let's wait for the end of this year to see what's going to happen, maybe of all the deadlines and ultimatums being fired around - someone will actually be correct at some point, that would actually be a pleasant surprise.

i dont think you understand shitposting development

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
What Happened with Star Marine?

http://gameranx.com/features/id/66151/article/what-happened-to-star-marine/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nice try derek. :colbert:

…wait, what?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The only thing they could put in a magazine that would inspire any confidence is news of Chris Roberts leaving the project.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wafflz posted:

The only thing they could put in a magazine that would inspire any confidence is news of Chris Roberts leaving the project.

^this

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Haha CIG cut corners,

Again.

Keep doing what you're doing. :D

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
Since Derek tweeted it already, here's the translation for the German PC Games article

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12trdfZ7KKkCxnfqtCP3S3hC60BBkfgBznvx5xaP4UlE/edit

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

these loving babies are using the German article to say this gameranx article is bullshit lol

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wafflz posted:

I dunno. Me, I'd take another concept sale.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So the whole "We played SM" turned into a "we watched some video of SM" in the proper translation? How is this any different from what happened last year, right down to the idea that it was weeks and not months away?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

these loving babies are using the German article to say this gameranx article is bullshit lol

STAR MARINE WILL BE IN 2.6 YOU FUDDER

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

iron buns posted:

10 page exclusive preview with screenshots and interviews.

The game's totally coming out. Soon!

So your saying star citizen will only take 15 years of development before it releases in a broken, wretched state no one wanted?

Sold!

Gonna buy a completionists pack so I can really stick it to Derek Shart! Take that Goonies :shepspends:!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nyeehg posted:

So your saying star citizen will only take 15 years of development before it releases in a broken, wretched state no one wanted?

Sold!

Gonna buy a completionists pack so I can really stick it to Derek Shart! Take that Goonies :shepspends:!

guy who kept his 15 year old receipt.jpg

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

This should come as a surprise to nobody

Man I read the reddit comments to the Gameranx article and boy do I feel grief

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
has anyone considered making a "Development time of games" chart that reddit and rsi are so fond of but just using strictly vaporware games? If this is a new idea I will work on it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So the whole "We played SM" turned into a "we watched some video of SM" in the proper translation? How is this any different from what happened last year, right down to the idea that it was weeks and not months away?

You see CIG will have learned from the backlash of last year and wouldn't make any claims at all if they weren't absolutely confident that SM will 100% be in the game in weeks, not months

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You see CIG will have learned from the backlash of last year and wouldn't make any claims at all if they weren't absolutely confident that SM will 100% be in the game in weeks, not months

OK so ben is fat and all

but

do people think he did that maliciously or he was regurgitating poo poo from Chris/Sandi when he posted that?

I'm not fan of Lesnicks but I wonder if at that point he was still just so gaga over the whole thing that he posted that in an honest belief that what he was saying was accurate, and they were just playing him like everyone else. Maybe he was so far on the take that he knew it was a lie? Questions questions. Anyhow I like to imagine that it went something like:

"YEAH SURE BEN, TWO WEEKS GO AHEAD AND POST THAT"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Because it's all poo poo; and it's easier to fool Shillizen press than us who will replay a YT video non-stop to see wtf they're actually doing.

It's all smoke and mirrors. Much like everything else they've shown in this manner.

However, I hope and pray that Shitizens use this as an excuse to give them more money.

Yeah - it's hilarious that anyone at all is fooled by those screenshots and thinking any of that poo poo is in the actual game at this point.

Then again those same people probably believe things like E3 game presentation videos etc before seeing what the final products actually end up being.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

OK so ben is fat and all

but

do people think he did that maliciously or he was regurgitating poo poo from Chris/Sandi when he posted that?

I'm not fan of Lesnicks but I wonder if at that point he was still just so gaga over the whole thing that he posted that in an honest belief that what he was saying was accurate, and they were just playing him like everyone else. Maybe he was so far on the take that he knew it was a lie? Questions questions. Anyhow I like to imagine that it went something like:

"YEAH SURE BEN, TWO WEEKS GO AHEAD AND POST THAT"

Star Marine "is delayed indefinitely" was something the gaming press were covering, :lesnick: either choose to come out and say the opposite or was told to. Derek had said he'd heard Star Marine was hosed beyond fixing, the producer responsible for Star Marine had just left and another, the most senior producer in CIG had also left, Illfonic were binned, Star Marine was then not released.

Basically.

Option 1, :lesnick: was correct and they almost had it out the door until something unexpected happened and they had to bin it. The unexpected thing has never been explained.

Option 2 Star Marine was completely hosed, explaining Derek hearing about it, the two producers leaving, the gaming media hearing, Illfonic being take out the back and shot.

The pattern of behaviour at CIG with ships, game mechanics, releases is always, always to kick the can further down the road. New Citizens arrive, things get forgotten and people are actively jumped on if they bring old commitments up "you don't understand game development". Citizens are reading a magazine in German to find out what's happening, even though CIG had 4 weekly shows until recently, things are beyond hosed I bet.

AP fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 24, 2016

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah - it's hilarious that anyone at all is fooled by those screenshots and thinking any of that poo poo is in the actual game at this point.

Then again those same people probably believe things like E3 game presentation videos etc before seeing what the final products actually end up being.

I remember when fanboys fought vehemently about the Killzone 2 e3 trailer being in-game and not prerendered. It was obviously prerendered, anyone who knew a drat thing about how graphics work on consoles knew it, but people knew they'd made this astronomical leap in technology.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
I think the article is bullshit and 2.6 will be poo poo as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

AP posted:

Star Marine "is delayed indefinitely" was something the gaming press were covering, :lesnick: either choose to come out and say the opposite or was told to. Derek had said he'd heard Star Marine was hosed beyond fixing, the producer responsible for Star Marine had just left and another, the most senior producer in CIG had also left, Illfonic were binned, Star Marine was then not released.

Basically.

Option 1, :lesnick: was correct and they almost had it out the door until something unexpected happened and they had to bin it. The unexpected thing has never been explained.

Option 2 Star Marine was completely hosed, explaining Derek hearing about it, the two producers leaving, the gaming media hearing, Illfonic being take out the back and shot.

The pattern of behaviour at CIG with ships, game mechanics, releases is always, always to kick the can further down the road. New Citizens arrive, things get forgotten and people are actively jumped on if they bring old commitments up "you don't understand game development". Citizens are reading a magazine in German to find out what's happening, even though CIG had 4 weekly shows until recently, things are beyond hosed I bet.

all good logic, but I guess my question is, is ben stilll a A BELIEVER , which I find very likely considering his past (cured his blindness etc), or on board with the scam? I'd suggest that anyone working for the company presently is totally culpable for perpeptuating a scam, including the Lesnicks, but I wonder if Ben is doing it out of just some sort of idiotic hero worship (again, chris roberts cured his blindness), some sort of religious devotion poo poo?

I mean maybe he suddenly became a cynical rear end in a top hat but I think it's more likely that they string him along like everyone else. Don't get me wrong I think he's a huge piece of poo poo and I'm not going for a sympathy angle, because even at some point ignorance fails to be a good excuse.

It's all so weird and confusing I can't even spell out what I'm pondering at the moment.

• Locked thread