Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Vincent Baker.

Man, gently caress that. I love Vincent Baker and D&D, but putting them together would be terrible for both. Vincent writes cooler stuff and doesn't deserve to be tied to D&D's weirdo poo poo, and he doesn't do the kind of crunch I want out of D&D.
This. They should sell it to Count and then he could hire me and we would make the best loving D&D there ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You two took the best thing out of it which was tactical combat so I don't know how the rest would matter. Why would I want the stupid lore from FR and Greyhawk on Strike! ?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Count's D&D 6th Edition would have Eberron as the default campaign setting.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Countblanc posted:

shutupandtakemymoney.gif

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Give it to me and I'll make Spelljammer the defaultonly setting.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Hmmm.... I guess that's ok

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

This. They should sell it to Count and then he could hire me and we would make the best loving D&D there ever was.

Christ no. You wrote Bender jokes in place of any actual descriptive text in Strike - your generic RPG used memes in place of any actual content, making it extraordinarily generic. You'd be terrible at the very ungeneric D&D.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Arivia posted:

Christ no. You wrote Bender jokes in place of any actual descriptive text in Strike - your generic RPG used memes in place of any actual content, making it extraordinarily generic. You'd be terrible at the very ungeneric D&D.
Not gonna lie - as the forums' biggest FR fan, you probably wouldn't like what I'd do to D&D! If the past couple of editions proved anything, it's that you can't please everybody.

I am a big big fan of 'implied setting' and I'd take a game like Burning Wheel that creates a setting through its mechanics and lifepaths over any edition of D&D's Forgotten Realms book. When I'm reading a book like that with lots of world description, I just get really bored. Give me a couple of pages of text and a bunch of mechanics that actually reflect and reinforce that text, thanks.

As for whether I'd be any good at writing a non-generic RPG, I guess we'll both have to wait for me to write one and find out!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
At this point I'd honestly think their best bet would be just licensing it to Paizo. Wizards turns their biggest competitor into a partner and Paizo gets to stop loving around and playing the RPG equivalent of the world's longest cover song. I don't think it'd be likely to happen on both fronts, but it'd be my suggestion.

It wouldn't be a game I'd play, but pretending D&D is ever going to be the game marketed at me is a notion I'm pretty well over.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Arivia posted:

I'm badass and very sexy, actually.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It should be me, actually.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
i'd vote for fuego as the president of D&D

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Not gonna lie - as the forums' biggest FR fan, you probably wouldn't like what I'd do to D&D! If the past couple of editions proved anything, it's that you can't please everybody.

Yes, I probably wouldn't. Look, you spent a page in this thread recently complaining about how the One Ring did everything wrong while missing the obvious focus on being like Tolkien in the Tolkien game. You're really, really bad at looking at other games and understanding what other people want out of them when it's different from what you like. You would be an absolutely horrible D&D designer because you aren't good at writing anything beyond what you're directly interested in, the way you're interested in it. Which definitely isn't how D&D works, especially after 4e and 5e. You can do an okay game system for yourself, but that's a far different task.

quote:

I am a big big fan of 'implied setting' and I'd take a game like Burning Wheel that creates a setting through its mechanics and lifepaths over any edition of D&D's Forgotten Realms book. When I'm reading a book like that with lots of world description, I just get really bored. Give me a couple of pages of text and a bunch of mechanics that actually reflect and reinforce that text, thanks.

Great. That's not D&D, and hasn't been since literally OD&D. Feel free to write that yourself, but that doesn't make you at all good for D&D as a property. Your own heartbreaker was very heartbreaker-y, just a bunch of stuff you like from other systems cobbled together on top of what you didn't want to change about 4e. You don't seem to like D&D, and that's fine. But stop comparing yourself to D&D then. Do your own thing. You'll be better off for it.

quote:

As for whether I'd be any good at writing a non-generic RPG, I guess we'll both have to wait for me to write one and find out!

Again, based upon the fact that you used Bender jokes and a bunch of memes in place of actual descriptive text in Strike, I'm going to say no. Plenty of generic systems have more inspiring components than what you bring to the table. And you know what? That's fine, it's honestly fine. It's like Malcolm Sheppard talked about somewhere around here recently - there's rules folk and setting folk, and you're a great example of the rules guy who thinks the setting is the easy part and you can dash that off at the end. You can't. You're just not good at. Keep doing the rules and get a setting person to work with you, and then maybe you'd have something though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

It should be me, actually.

Your writing is completely trash and I'm genuinely surprised anyone besides your mother or your girlfriend ever bought a copy. You're a great cartographer though. Do that, you're actually good at it, and drop the adventures of Izzy Hartley Sucks A Dildo or whatever you're doing next. Or Frisky Dingo, your pile of racist colonialist bullshit. You would also be really terrible at designing some edition of D&D.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Arivia posted:

Your writing is completely trash and I'm genuinely surprised anyone besides your mother or your girlfriend ever bought a copy. You're a great cartographer though. Do that, you're actually good at it, and drop the adventures of Izzy Hartley Sucks A Dildo or whatever you're doing next. Or Frisky Dingo, your pile of racist colonialist bullshit. You would also be really terrible at designing some edition of D&D.

:goonsay:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Man, you'd think they'd insulted Elminster or something.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

dwarf74 posted:

Man, you'd think they'd insulted Elminster or something.

Insulting Elminister would be a step up from the virulent discourse going on right now.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Now I kind of want to claim I want to write D&D just so I can get brutally roasted. But it would likely consist of "I know nothing about you, so shut up."

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Arivia tell me about the Bender quote and the memes. I didn't catch them in the least, because I have never watched Futurama and I generally mentally skip over memes.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

NachtSieger posted:

Arivia tell me about the Bender quote and the memes. I didn't catch them in the least, because I have never watched Futurama and I generally mentally skip over memes.

On p. 27 in the kitchen sink fantasy origins, all of which have little ironic jokes in them. I wrote: "You're a magical robot. How cool is that?! You could act like Bender. Bender is hilarious and nobody ever gets tired of him."

I think Arivia got a bit triggered because I didn't go into loving detail on the differences between Gold Dwarves and Fur Dwarves (it's the external ears).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NachtSieger posted:

afaik he's talking about this one sample Origin:

Magical Robot
You’re a magical robot. How cool is that?! You could act like Bender. Bender is hilarious and nobody ever gets tired of him.
Skills: Liftng, Bending, Math, Enduring Elements
Complications: Too Heavy, Too Noisy

which is more making a joke than using a meme but i may not be on the up and up regarding futurama memes, i'm more into ragefaces these days

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Jimbozig posted:

I think Arivia got a bit triggered

Really not helping your case here.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Arivia posted:

Frisky Dingo, your pile of racist colonialist bullshit.

Isn't this an Adult Swim show?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the original Sacred BBQ text does have some pretty fuckin lame dad jokes though which I will respect jim's e-cred and not post here, but i assure you i'm havin' a laugh rereading them and will insult him appropriately later

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's exactly what happened. The class dunce threw a fit while everyone else just rolled their eyes.

Zurui posted:

Yes. Frisky Dingo been around for 6-8 years? It's old by now. I think it's by the same people who make Archer.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Helical Nightmares posted:

Yes. Frisky Dingo been around for 6-8 years? It's old by now. I think it's by the same people who make Archer.

Yeah, but what does it have to do with SA Forums Poster Fuego Fish?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Thanks for the clarification, I probably just forgot it completely :shobon:

PS: Please don't misuse "triggered."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ProfessorCirno posted:

i dont want to come across as a cheerleader here so this is the last i'll say of it, but jim made a very conscious effort to have equal representation between men and women (and at least one non-binary identifying individual) as well as racial groups and differently-abled people such as one autistic character and another who is elderly and wheelchair-bound in his game's art as well as in the text, features several homosexual couples, and has an essay in the back where he talks about the importance of representation in the industry. i dont think he meant anything by that

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

I think Arivia got a bit triggered because I didn't go into loving detail on the differences between Gold Dwarves and Fur Dwarves (it's the external ears).

Don't be an idiot about goddamn triggers, thanks. And that kind of flippancy is exactly why you wouldn't make a good D&D designer - thematic differences and the creative concepts of a high elf or a drow are a lot of what D&D has built up, and are a lot of its identity. If you're going to make D&D, that's an essential part of making D&D.

Zurui posted:

My bad, I always get the name wrong. I can't remember what the name is, but Fuego has been nurturing his top comedy idea for years: a fish-out-of-water story about a magical Australian aboriginal who can turn into animals and show white people how to really live while solving crime or whatever. (Keep in mind Fuego is British and white as a sheet.) It's a painfully bad, unoriginal comedy idea that would have been trite in the 1960s, and it fits in right next to Mickey Rooney and the Cleveland Indians on the racism scale.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Countblanc posted:

i dont want to come across as a cheerleader here so this is the last i'll say of it, but jim made a very conscious effort to have equal representation between men and women (and at least one non-binary identifying individual) as well as racial groups and differently-abled people such as one autistic character and another who is elderly and wheelchair-bound in his game's art as well as in the text, features several homosexual couples, and has an essay in the back where he talks about the importance of representation in the industry. i dont think he meant anything by that

No, i'm pretty sure he did. He can try about something and still be bad about something else. Owning up to that is part of being a good person, let's see if Jimbozig does it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Zurui posted:

Yeah, but what does it have to do with SA Forums Poster Fuego Fish?

Maybe he is a dingo.

How he got wifi out there and a keyboard for his cute little paws we will never know.

:shrug:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Arivia posted:

No, i'm pretty sure he did. He can try about something and still be bad about something else. Owning up to that is part of being a good person, let's see if Jimbozig does it.

alright, im sorry

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
You are an authority on nothing Arivia. Go back to Overwatch.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Countblanc posted:

I ain't saying he's a bad person, I'm saying that's a bad way to make his argument.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Arivia posted:

My bad, I always get the name wrong. I can't remember what the name is, but Fuego has been nurturing his top comedy idea for years: a fish-out-of-water story about a magical Australian aboriginal who can turn into animals and show white people how to really live while solving crime or whatever. (Keep in mind Fuego is British and white as a sheet.) It's a painfully bad, unoriginal comedy idea that would have been trite in the 1960s, and it fits in right next to Mickey Rooney and the Cleveland Indians on the racism scale.

If it helps any, this ALSO sounds like a show that would be on Adult Swim.

This sort of argument happens in the Star Trek thread as well. People float ideas for people who are good at science fiction as those who would be good at running a new Trek series. They suggest changes and what to "strip out" of Trek in order to make it better and while doing so completely sail past the idea that Trek is all of these good and terrible things. Star Trek has its own conventions - even more than that, it has its own "feel." Judging a thing (say, Star Trek: Insurrection) based on its quality (not very good) is different that judging it on how much it is Star Trek (a whole loving lot).

Dungeons and Dragons is the same way. If you want a Fantasy Adventure Game, you can start stripping things out of (or adding things onto) D&D, but D&D isn't the parts. It's the entire thing.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Sorry everyone, I was being flippant and didn't consider my use of language before hitting post. I have zero problems with trigger warnings as a serious topic. I honestly didn't realize that using it in a lighthearted matter would come across as badly as it did, and I apologize.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Sorry everyone, I was being flippant and didn't consider my use of language before hitting post. I have zero problems with trigger warnings as a serious topic. I honestly didn't realize that using it in a lighthearted matter would come across as badly as it did, and I apologize.

Apology accepted.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Quote is not edit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ProfessorCirno posted:

I ain't saying he's a bad person, I'm saying that's a bad way to make his argument.

thats fair, my bad

Zurui posted:

If it helps any, this ALSO sounds like a show that would be on Adult Swim.

This sort of argument happens in the Star Trek thread as well. People float ideas for people who are good at science fiction as those who would be good at running a new Trek series. They suggest changes and what to "strip out" of Trek in order to make it better and while doing so completely sail past the idea that Trek is all of these good and terrible things. Star Trek has its own conventions - even more than that, it has its own "feel." Judging a thing (say, Star Trek: Insurrection) based on its quality (not very good) is different that judging it on how much it is Star Trek (a whole loving lot).

Dungeons and Dragons is the same way. If you want a Fantasy Adventure Game, you can start stripping things out of (or adding things onto) D&D, but D&D isn't the parts. It's the entire thing.

i think everyone was making a joke - i mean i know i was - which was why Arivia's criticisms, while correct in some/many ways, felt really weird because it just sorta came out of nowhere and felt grimly serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Maybe somebody should start a "harsh but true" thread so that creators can put their stuff in it and get solid criticism.

• Locked thread