Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zurui posted:

Maybe somebody should start a "harsh but true" thread so that creators can put their stuff in it and get solid criticism.

If you do that you're going to have people shouting PEACH while they put it in there. (God, gently caress that poo poo.) It's a good idea though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what is the peach meme

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Countblanc posted:

what is the peach meme

PEACH=please examine and critique honestly

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm glad they're saying "please"

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Countblanc posted:

i'm glad they're saying "please"

Like most things on GiTP it's a smorgasbord of passive aggression and dancing around the fact that you're violating the rules by being an insuffferably passive aggressive dipshit, backed by rules that don't work as anything except as a hammer to slam down on people.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

If you're going to fix D&D, one nice thing to do would be to allow complete and free reskinning of every race, class, feat, ability, etc. For instance there's no reason someone should have to play Elf fluff just because they want elven racial benefits.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Scyther posted:

If you're going to fix D&D, one nice thing to do would be to allow complete and free reskinning of every race, class, feat, ability, etc. For instance there's no reason someone should have to play Elf fluff just because they want elven racial benefits.

See, that's a good example of something you can change to make a better game that isn't D&D. D&D has always had really tightly tied narrative and rules, and reskinning takes away from that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

Like most things on GiTP it's a smorgasbord of passive aggression and dancing around the fact that you're violating the rules by being an insuffferably passive aggressive dipshit, backed by rules that don't work as anything except as a hammer to slam down on people.

I remember it starting on the 3e homebrew boards, where it basically turned into a way to completely shut down any actual criticism as being "dishonest" or "impolite." It's an amazing shield for people who don't actually want to be challenged about their special snowflake, aka the exact opposite of what a harsh but true thread would be for.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Zurui posted:

This sort of argument happens in the Star Trek thread as well. People float ideas for people who are good at science fiction as those who would be good at running a new Trek series. They suggest changes and what to "strip out" of Trek in order to make it better and while doing so completely sail past the idea that Trek is all of these good and terrible things. Star Trek has its own conventions - even more than that, it has its own "feel." Judging a thing (say, Star Trek: Insurrection) based on its quality (not very good) is different that judging it on how much it is Star Trek (a whole loving lot).

Dungeons and Dragons is the same way. If you want a Fantasy Adventure Game, you can start stripping things out of (or adding things onto) D&D, but D&D isn't the parts. It's the entire thing.

Like, I'd be the first to state that I would be a terrible steward of D&D, because I'd end up making Cirno's Fantasy Game, where wizards are dunked on, rogues reign supreme, attributes are removed, anime is enforced by law, and the Underdark is replaced by almost literally Fallen London.

It'd still be better then 5e, mind you.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Like, I'd be the first to state that I would be a terrible steward of D&D, because I'd end up making Cirno's Fantasy Game, where wizards are dunked on, rogues reign supreme, attributes are removed, anime is enforced by law, and the Underdark is replaced by almost literally Fallen London.

I'm with you for 4/5 points. This sounds awesome.

Edit: Though I'd like to see Illthids in top hats and tails for some reason. Keep those.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
See, to me, goofing with my friends and telling dumb jokes about fantasy tropes while we do tactical combat IS the real D&D, and the idea of taking the tropes seriously and caring about all that badly written setting stuff is some weird other game that I've only read about online. So for me, a game that doesn't take the world building so drat seriously would be finally getting to the heart of what D&D actually is.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
*In nasaly voice* the deep, fantastic masterpiece that is the Forgotten Realms

For real, there are games with cool, interesting settings that are worth integrating into your mechanics - Runequest, Dogs in the Vineyard, One Ring - none of the D&D settings qualify.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

See, to me, goofing with my friends and telling dumb jokes about fantasy tropes while we do tactical combat IS the real D&D, and the idea of taking the tropes seriously and caring about all that badly written setting stuff is some weird other game that I've only read about online. So for me, a game that doesn't take the world building so drat seriously would be finally getting to the heart of what D&D actually is.

I love taking the player's jokes and making that into the worldbuilding. Taking a funny thing and making it a part of the game is like my favorite thing about tabletop gaming.

In the first game of 4E I ever ran, the wizard player made a joke about their magic missile being a baseball and that is how we ended up with Brian Wilson the fastball wizard.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

See, that's a good example of something you can change to make a better game that isn't D&D. D&D has always had really tightly tied narrative and rules, and reskinning takes away from that.

I'm sorry are you mad that we're not stuck in the 1970s? Are you mad that black people want equal rights and women don't listen to their husbands, too? How much of your "entirely different line of thinking" is from A Voice For Men and Stormfront?

You should go back to therpgsite. Don't worry it's a safe space for whiny old shitlords like you. They'll even nod at you and pretend they care about your opinions to your face, unlike us.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Arivia posted:

Actually, the only folks who can define what D&D is are employees of Wizards of the Coast. Strange but true.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

*In nasaly voice* the deep, fantastic masterpiece that is the Forgotten Realms

For real, there are games with cool, interesting settings that are worth integrating into your mechanics - Runequest, Dogs in the Vineyard, One Ring - none of the D&D settings qualify.

Eh. I like Dark Sun.

Honestly I thought the 4th edition "Forgotten Realms" wasn't a bad generic fantasy setting. It's problem was marketing. It should have never been called Forgotten Realms, or at the very least called Forgotten Realms, Alternative Timeline.

:shrug:

Runequest is goddamn nuts. Very good but most D&D players I would imagine would have a culture shock.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Runequest is the perfect example of that quote about eating an elephant one bite at a time. I always think of the Guide to Glorantha as an amazing product that I can't imagine anyone else in my group ever giving a poo poo about because they don't need textbooks about fantasy settings.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

I agree with you, but ultimately "see this is what I think REAL D&D is all about" cuts to the heart of edition warring

Serf posted:

I love taking the player's jokes and making that into the worldbuilding. Taking a funny thing and making it a part of the game is like my favorite thing about tabletop gaming.

In the first game of 4E I ever ran, the wizard player made a joke about their magic missile being a baseball and that is how we ended up with Brian Wilson the fastball wizard.

The 4e group I'm playing with can summon not-John Madden when they want bad puns to permeate combat rounds.

oriongates posted:

Now I kind of want to claim I want to write D&D just so I can get brutally roasted. But it would likely consist of "I know nothing about you, so shut up."

Shoot, I need exposure and feedback for my writing anyway, might as well throw down:

A Short History of the OSR

Designing Boss Monsters (in 5th Edition)

A Short History of Critical Hits in D&D

Project Orcus: The 4th Edition that Never Was

Why are 3rd Edition spellcasters so drat powerful? Part 1: Basic Principles

Why are 3rd Edition spellcasters so drat powerful? Part 2: What changed after AD&D?

Why are 3rd Edition spellcasters so drat powerful? Part 3: Spell selection

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Elfgames posted:

I'm sorry are you mad that we're not stuck in the 1970s? Are you mad that black people want equal rights and women don't listen to their husbands, too? How much of your "entirely different line of thinking" is from A Voice For Men and Stormfront?

You should go back to therpgsite. Don't worry it's a safe space for whiny old shitlords like you. They'll even nod at you and pretend they care about your opinions to your face, unlike us.

Cuz personal preferences about elfgames translate into regressive political views!

/s

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shoot, I need exposure and feedback for my writing anyway, might as well throw down:

Your should post your Song of the Blade stuff on RPG-related Google Plus and Facebook communities if you're not doing so already. Those are great avenues for traffic.

Speaking from personal experience, I tend to notice that I get the most views when I blog about social issues in gaming, but I don't do that very often because 1.) I prefer to extensively research and get outside critique on said things, and 2.) they have a much higher chance of Summon Shitstorm III than other topics.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 24, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i liked the spellplague, what happened with that in 5e

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

i liked the spellplague, what happened with that in 5e

They reversed pretty much everything and it's not there anymore to my knowledge. It pretty much reverted back to the 3/3.5 status quo.

RuneQuest needs more love. Greg Stafford is pretty nice too IRL. He isn't secretly terrible, is he?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Spellplague was a neat idea in 4th forgotten realms but under developed I thought.

Felt like they were trying to introduce a magical Fallout with the appropriate mutants.

Did it have roots in 3rd ed fiction or something?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Libertad! posted:

Cuz personal preferences about elfgames translate into regressive political views!

:ssh: Joke

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Swagger Dagger posted:

Runequest is the perfect example of that quote about eating an elephant one bite at a time. I always think of the Guide to Glorantha as an amazing product that I can't imagine anyone else in my group ever giving a poo poo about because they don't need textbooks about fantasy settings.

You don't play Runequest or any game set in Glorantha by dropping the 800 page encyclopedia in their lap and expecting people to give a poo poo. The setting has so many straightforward campaign scenarios that 'setting is great but what do I do with it' style comments make no sense. No one on the player side should be required to peruse the Guide to Glorantha.

Just play Pavis and Big Rubble.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They reversed pretty much everything and it's not there anymore to my knowledge. It pretty much reverted back to the 3/3.5 status quo.

RuneQuest needs more love. Greg Stafford is pretty nice too IRL. He isn't secretly terrible, is he?

Ken and Robin talk about working with Greg Stafford.

http://www.kenandrobintalkaboutstuff.com/index.php/tag/greg-stafford/

Dosent sound horrible. Just sound like the average Principle Investigator who will wow an undergrad researcher with "do this work and you are totally going to get into a paper no really, also I'm not paying you."

Pushy and charismatically charming.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I like the idea of RuneQuest, especially with how fast and intuitive a percentile system is, but I usually stumble when it comes to character creation. Like, I've read the new Delta Green and CoC 7th Edition and I wish character creation was that fast and that easy.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Elfgames posted:

Hey, come on. I like Arivia even if we have pretty much opposite tastes in RPGs. And I don't think Arivia is that kind of grognard at all.

Plus, Arivia's posts about FR are like getting to see diamonds all sparkly and polished up without having to go into a horrible dirty pit to dig them up them yourself.

Edit: oh hah, I didn't catch that it was a joke. I thought you were seriously overreacting.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 24, 2016

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Tulpa posted:

You don't play Runequest or any game set in Glorantha by dropping the 800 page encyclopedia in their lap and expecting people to give a poo poo. The setting has so many straightforward campaign scenarios that 'setting is great but what do I do with it' style comments make no sense. No one on the player side should be required to peruse the Guide to Glorantha.

Just play Pavis and Big Rubble.

Yeah, this. Pavis is basically a big melting pot where you get a whole ton of different factions rubbing shoulders and not quite murdering each other. Everyone's got an excuse to poke at the Rubble, either treasure or ancient lore or whatever. Plus it's just one city and you can control the introduction of the more esoteric stuff.

Alternately you can just run Damon Runyon gangster plots.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Ken and Robin talk about working with Greg Stafford.

http://www.kenandrobintalkaboutstuff.com/index.php/tag/greg-stafford/

Dosent sound horrible. Just sound like the average Principle Investigator who will wow an undergrad researcher with "do this work and you are totally going to get into a paper no really, also I'm not paying you."

Pushy and charismatically charming.

He struck me as very much like an academic. I've heard that episode before and kind of forgot about it.

I was more worried that he was secretly like Gygax or some other person from that era who has terrible opinions. I'm pretty sure he just writes and does a lot of ayahuasca in Mexico now. He is a shaman after all.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Re: Runequest/Glorantha

I've probably posted this before (so expect me to forget and post it again in future).

Here is the dev blog for the spiritual successor of King of Dragon pass.

http://sixages.com/blog/

Recently Robin Laws finished all the interactive scenes and myths so I think the rest is just programming?

Re: Ken Hite

Just finished listening to One Shot's two part series Dracula Dossier adventure, GMed by Ken Hite. Highly recommended.

http://oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/one-shot/157-dracula-dossier-2-part-3/

Now I sort of want a NBA/spies game where players fight Dracula and also some mad scientist who makes robots/cyborgs/androids. Basically where the demon fueled Transylvanian warlord carves through legions of battle bots and wonders about his place in this mad new world.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Helical Nightmares posted:

Re: Ken Hite

Just finished listening to One Shot's two part series Dracula Dossier adventure, GMed by Ken Hite. Highly recommended.

http://oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/one-shot/157-dracula-dossier-2-part-3/

Now I sort of want a NBA/spies game where players fight Dracula and also some mad scientist who makes robots/cyborgs/androids. Basically where the demon fueled Transylvanian warlord carves through legions of battle bots and wonders about his place in this mad new world.

For a second there I was confused and thought you were pitching a game based on the Harlem Globetrotters cartoon.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

For a second there I was confused and thought you were pitching a game based on the Harlem Globetrotters cartoon.

Sure. Yes. Basketball spies vs Dracula and Robots. That's exactly what I meant. Honest.

Can Lebron bury his axe with Kobe so that the team can dunk on Dracula and save the world? Can Curry be bothered to actually play with heart in game 7?

Basically the spies are like Deathwatch. Each elite basketball spy-vampire-robot killer has a pauldron that shows his previous team affiliation. Veterans of OKC may have Storm Bolters.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Michael Jordan fights valiantly against Dracula despite having the flu

edit has the new Delta Green core book come out or just the player portion of it?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 24, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I think you need to work on an actual conclusion or ending here. I got to the end and was still expecting another paragraph or two wrapping your thoughts up or reviewing everything from the previous two articles, and instead you presented another few scenarios in which spellcasters are overpowered and then just stopped.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Literally The Worst posted:

edit has the new Delta Green core book come out or just the player portion of it?

Just the player-facing book and the GM screen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Literally The Worst posted:

The "Player's Handbook" has come out, along with a number of official scenarios, but the "Dungeon Master's Guide/Monster Manual" is not out yet.

DG is perfectly playable right now with the Agent's Handbook, but I think a number of people are waiting for the Case Handler's Book with bated breath because it's going to have a lot of juicy details on The Opposition.

Countblanc posted:

I think you need to work on an actual conclusion or ending here. I got to the end and was still expecting another paragraph or two wrapping your thoughts up or reviewing everything from the previous two articles, and instead you presented another few scenarios in which spellcasters are overpowered and then just stopped.

Thank you! I'll consider that and do a rewrite.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gradenko_2000 posted:

The "Player's Handbook" has come out, along with a number of official scenarios, but the "Dungeon Master's Guide/Monster Manual" is not out yet.

DG is perfectly playable right now with the Agent's Handbook, but I think a number of people are waiting for the Case Handler's Book with bated breath because it's going to have a lot of juicy details on The Opposition.

Thank you! I'll consider that and do a rewrite.

yeah for real i read the novel that wrapped up 1e and was like "wow this is the setup for some insane poo poo and i cant wait to read about how the tensions between the cowboys and the organization evolve now that they aren't at each other's throats by default!!!!" and now i wait

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zurui posted:

Yeah, but what does it have to do with SA Forums Poster Fuego Fish?

Arivia is getting the name confused with "Crikey Dingo" which was a big joke that spawned from some young weeb on another forum asking for ideas on "the ultimate Australian manga". So I suggested one which was ridiculously over-Australian while keeping to standard shonen tropes, sort of like Dragon Ball or One Piece or Naruto except drenched in stereotypes. The main character was Crikey Dingo, basically a loveable bogan who drank alcohol to power up, with sidekicks Jenna Wallaby (a roogirl, like a catgirl but with big feet) and Doc Wombat (literally just a surly wombat in a hat).

It became my go-to way of making fun of anime clichés by pretending it was a real series that had been running for literally decades, complete with an animated series and tie-in videogames and so forth. A few other people were in on the joke, but they're mostly webcomics friends rather than tradgames friends.

Not sure where all the colonialist talk is coming from but then Arivia has a serious beef with me over an IRC banning so who cares about facts.

p.s. buy my books they're good

edit: it has come to my attention that I made in this post a very unfair comment about Arivia, based on my misconception that she had actually read my books. Now that I know she hasn't actually read anything I've written, I retract said comment.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 24, 2016

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

He struck me as very much like an academic. I've heard that episode before and kind of forgot about it.

I was more worried that he was secretly like Gygax or some other person from that era who has terrible opinions. I'm pretty sure he just writes and does a lot of ayahuasca in Mexico now. He is a shaman after all.

I mean if you don't like gender essentialism, I wouldn't investigate Stafford's mystical/shamanistic philosophy very thoroughly.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Arivia posted:

you aren't good at writing anything beyond what you're directly interested in, the way you're interested in it.

Sounds like D&D material to me tbh

• Locked thread