Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Cake Attack posted:

I just buy games I want to play, generally

A radical buying strategy, but seems like a sound one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just buy all the games and let 95% of them collect dust.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm staring at an unopened copy of Gal Gun wondering how my life ended up like this

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm staring at an unopened copy of Gal Gun wondering how my life ended up like this

The saddest thing is an unopened/unplayed game :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

you exchanged money for ownership of a copy of gal gun, pretty cut and dry

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Well, that is gonna make for some.. interesting Twitch streams

or was it already banned, I heard Criminal Girls was but I don't remember about Conception

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

you exchanged money for ownership of a copy of gal gun, pretty cut and dry

Well if you want to be literal about it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Please do not buy Criminal Girls on Steam or any platform.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Takoluka posted:

Please do not buy Criminal Girls on Steam or any platform.

i don't see why you'd be concerned about any sane person doing that

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

Well, that is gonna make for some.. interesting Twitch streams

or was it already banned, I heard Criminal Girls was but I don't remember about Conception

Now that it's going to show up on PC and the steam homepage, someone will probably freak out about it without even looking at the game.

The absoulute worst thing in the game would be when performing Classmating to make star babies. The girls are shown nude and glowing, then grab the protagonist's glowing hand. Other than that there's some touch sections during the visual novel parts where you're supposed to do something like brush a girl's hair but the game also allows touching other body parts.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Colonel posted:

PS Vita Discussion

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dehry posted:

Now that it's going to show up on PC and the steam homepage, someone will probably freak out about it without even looking at the game.

The absoulute worst thing in the game would be when performing Classmating to make star babies. The girls are shown nude and glowing, then grab the protagonist's glowing hand. Other than that there's some touch sections during the visual novel parts where you're supposed to do something like brush a girl's hair but the game also allows touching other body parts.
yeah, it's definitely less objectionable, though they make up for it with the constant over the top everyone wants to bone you to the point of absurdity

hell I'm not even entirely sure it isn't intentionally a comedy, what with calling the main character God's Gift and all that over the top poo poo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
conception 2 is literally just somebody saw a pretty generic fantasy harem anime thing and decided they wanted to make a video game like it. there's not really anything to it beyond that

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I've been playing more Ys today. It's actually very good once they let you play it. There's plenty of stuff to keep you busy with side quests and fishing already; I understand there's upgrading your base and finding survivors of the shipwreck (which then act as collectibles to get you past large objects that your three man party can't get around). There's also a rude parrot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

conception 2 is absolutely intentionally a comedy. not in some subversive way, mind, it's just knowingly goofy and over the top.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

I just buy games I want to play, generally

Same, which is why I buy all of the games

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

It can't be worse than criminal girls, right?

:smith:

Shifting gears, does anyone have any opinion on the ratchet and clank/sly cooper vita ports? I want them but if they're as bad as the jack and Dexter vita ports then they're worthless to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well it's an actual game for a start

Once you get past the loading screens

I imagine

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nyeehg posted:

Shifting gears, does anyone have any opinion on the ratchet and clank/sly cooper vita ports?

They're fine performance-wise.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

Huzzah! Thanks for letting me know :).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a long time ago i remember hearing that mechanically, gal*gun is surprisingly good, but i can't for the life of me remember where or when. i do know, though, that inti creates makes some ridiculously good 2d action games and the idea of a rail-shooter that has a button mapped specifically to make a retro-style shooter play on your screen so that nobody can see you play it is eternally hilarious to me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

The Sly Cooper cutscenes look absolutely awful though as a warning

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

The Sly Cooper cutscenes look absolutely awful though as a warning

Eh, if it runs alright that's a small price to pay to have it portable. Thanks for the heads up though.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I've been getting into Ys this year, what a goddamn series. can't wait to play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MOkUwbAdEU&t=107s

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Colonel posted:

a long time ago i remember hearing that mechanically, gal*gun is surprisingly good, but i can't for the life of me remember where or when. i do know, though, that inti creates makes some ridiculously good 2d action games and the idea of a rail-shooter that has a button mapped specifically to make a retro-style shooter play on your screen so that nobody can see you play it is eternally hilarious to me

Like Leisure Suit Larry but more embarrassing and also bad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Improbable Lobster posted:

so gal gun is box office bust

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

tbh id take 'woo, titties!! gently caress yeah!' over lsl's creepy 40 year old making a sex joke and then awkwardly chuckling and going 'it's just a joke! i love the ladies!'

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess if anyone in Europe missed it Sega announced we're getting the new Miku next month at the same time as the US (August 30th)

It's digital only in Europe but I don't think anyone has ever bought a physical vita game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have loads because they're like £25 instead of £35

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I have loads because they're like £25 instead of £35

Same.

Besides, with all the games that are digital only here the price of new memory cards means that even if I import it's still cheaper to Prioritise physical versions most of the time.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The Colonel posted:

well:

Carth Dookie posted:

I 'unno. Take a look at her Vita Library:

I think I'll have to put it to a vote. Vita thread, based on that image alone, should I divorce my wife based on her game choices?

Important other point:

She beat Persona 3 on PSP with all S-Links maxed out, but she couldn't get into Persona 4 because Teddy put her off.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 24, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

wait, that SK icon is literally just boobs? god bless you, you loving deviants.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I'm not sure anyone can really take the moral high ground while posting in the Vita thread.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

none of those are criminal girls

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Colonel posted:

none of those are criminal girls
on the other hand, Moe Chronicle

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Let's all congratulate the scumbags who pander to the lowest of the low and make enough money to eat week to week. The true heroes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, and while we're congratulating whoever those guys are, let's also congratulate the senkags devs, for making great games

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well, I'm finally done with Uppers. It only took me 17 hours, five of which I spent retrying stages brute-forcing my way into the request system. So I assume the game is shorter without the language barrier.

If you thought EV was biased towards certain characters, you haven't seen anything. Counting the story chapters and the extra missions -survival arenas and boss rushes stages- the game has 62 stages divided in 9 chapters. Out of those 62 stages, you only play 16 with other characters than the main duo. Making so the remaining characters get two stages for themselves.

On the story itself, the characters only show on the chapters (every chapter introduces two characters) where they are introduced before dropping out from the plot entirely. Chapter 7, the final one in the story is only one stage and in what is becoming a trend with Takaki, is a battle between the main duo members. That stage and the fact the two dudes are dressed in red and blue, makes me think Takaki is a Double Dragon fan since is basically a recreation of the final stage of that game.

The stage does lack the "oomph" of the original tho.

Once you finish the game a new episode opens where you're thrown into survival arenas. It follows the basic structure than regular survival arenas with a small difference you only have to defeat the required amount of enemies not enemy waves as is used everywhere else. Since there's a plot, you have to pick predeterminated chars the first time but you're a free to use whatever you want afterwards.

The stages aren't too difficult aside of some gimmicky enemies that have a lot of super armor and hit like a truck. But you can simply mash strong attack to win, one of the arenas was in the second demo actually. And is exactly the same.

The final two arenas are pretty gimmicky. In the first one you have to beat 60 foes, that include all the remaining playable characters while in the last one, you have to beat 120 enemies at least but you can go for as long as you can. The only way to end the stage is to be defeated after beating 120 enemies. While the first 60 are the same than the previous one (waves of five, one boss and four mook), after that mark the game simply throws at you the other characters again and again until you met the quota. Dai is included this time. I imagine she's there regardless if you buy her or not.I dropped the fight by the 125 dude. It was just too repetitive by then

By beating those arenas you unlock another chapter that is by far the most fun I had with the game. You're figthing the bosses again, but this time is a 2 vs 2 battle, with your partner actuallly figthting with you at the same time. Is pretty drat fun. If the game would've had more of that stages it would've been a lot better. No idea why they made those stages the absolute last thing you can unlock.

These stages also have a plot and they end with a fight against Dai-although being two against one, she can't really do much against you- If you bought Dai, an extra mission is added where it simply flips the roles around, Dai against the main duo.

After that there's nothing more to do on the game besides doing every mission on hard mode and completing requests.

If the move shop you unlock does something more than adding more attacks to your combo, is not something obvious. Because I got all the "moves" and didn't notice a difference on my characters. As for the stats, every character can get their strength and health upgraded four times, but you have to reach the final chapter to be able to buy all the upgrades.

For some reason.

I finally realized why every character HAS to play the same: is the only way to allow the player to complete the requests with any character.

Once again, the thing that makes the game stand out is the thing that drags it down, they really should've ditched the cheerleader system.

Uppers is definitely a weird beast, likely if Takaki would've had someone to rein him in, it would've been a much better product.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You should have watched 8 good movies instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

do i buy uppers or do I watch robocop 8 times