Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

I know it was two pages ago and we are talking Marvel now, but I got to say I really liked the look of Aquaman in the trailer. People were bitching about Cyborg but instead of saying the same thing about something I don't like I will say something positive and say that I really like that they are taking Aquaman in a different look from the comics.
Also it feels like they are missing out by not having Martian Manhunter in the film, and getting Bruce to fill that role seems like they are missing out.

No Martian, Lantern, or Green Arrow. This JL is lacking in the green department. Also only one woman, so maybe Miss Martian would have been cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have to strongly disagree with reading KSD's run. It's not good.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
drat, Marvel just couldn't let DC have a day. That Strange trailer was fuckin awesome.

X-O posted:

Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger in Black Panther.

I loved him so much in Creed that I'm down. I mean I was already down since BP was one of the best parts of Cap 3, but now I'm super down.

Plus Captain Marvel and we're gonna get some Guardians stuff later? I can only take so much in a day, comics, drat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaussian posted:

Read all of Kelly Sue DeConnick's run. The first volume is "In Pursuit of Flight."

He wants to be excited for Captain Marvel, not hoping they cancel it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-O posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM

That is one trippy as gently caress trailer. Love it.
Baron Mordo isn't a villain in this maybe yet? Hmm.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

teagone posted:

Brie Larson as Captain Marvel has instantly made me want to seek out Captain Marvel comics. Where should I start?

Avengers #200

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

X-O posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM

That is one trippy as gently caress trailer. Love it.

Well I'm loving sold.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

I have to strongly disagree with reading KSD's run. It's not good.

Stuff like this is why I haven't read her run, especially considering how the glowing praise for the run seems to be KSD fandom over actual CM fandom.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Light Gun Man posted:

No Martian, Lantern, or Green Arrow. This JL is lacking in the green department. Also only one woman, so maybe Miss Martian would have been cool?

David Goyer must have a thing against green. I believe the same panel where he said She-Hulk was created as a sex object for Hulk was also where he asked how many people in the audience had ever heard of Martian Manhunter and then asked if any of those people had ever had sex. So obvious green bias there.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So many Captain Marvel recommendations! Is there a definitive run for the character since there seem to be a few conflicting opinions giving me indecision, lmao.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh wait, ANAD Captain Marvel is when KSD left? I thought that was part 2 of her run.

Then I don't actually know the quality of that, ignore what I said the first time. Don't ignore the part about the KSD run being bad though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

So many Captain Marvel recommendations! Is there a definitive run for the character since there seem to be a few conflicting opinions giving me indecision, lmao.

Nope. She does not have a definitive run really. Not for lack of trying. She's a great character who's never really had a great solo run. I do like the current book a lot, but it's more of a team book than a Carol Danvers book.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh wait, ANAD Captain Marvel is when KSD left? I thought that was part 2 of her run.

Then I don't actually know the quality of that, ignore what I said the first time. Don't ignore the part about the KSD run being bad though.

ANAD is her with Alpha Flight in space. It's great, but it's not really a Carol book.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

I believe the same panel where he said She-Hulk was created as a sex object for Hulk

I still can't believe this person was allowed to even go see comic book movies let alone have a hand in making them.

Travis343 posted:

Avengers #200

I will fight you.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Again, I would say your best bet would be to read her post-SW solo run (I find it fine but nothing special that vastly improves in quality after its first, really inconsistent, arc). Then I'd read both her current teamups, Ultimates and A-Force.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What you need to understand is that Captain Marvel is being pushed harder than Cyborg, because oops all of Marvel's popular female characters are mutants.

She's Roman Reigns if you're a wrestling fan. Or not, because I'm not and I still know what that means.

But people like her character so mostly they want it to work, instead of wanting her to go away.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Carol is a great character, but she's just not had a good solo run yet that dealt with her on a character level. Hopefully the new series will take care of that as it seems to be going more personal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Again, I would say your best bet would be to read her post-SW solo run (I find it fine but nothing special that vastly improves in quality after its first, really inconsistent, arc). Then I'd read both her current teamups, Ultimates and A-Force.

I will go this route. Thank ya much!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

What you need to understand is that Captain Marvel is being pushed harder than Cyborg, because oops all of Marvel's popular female characters are mutants.

She's Roman Reigns if you're a wrestling fan. Or not, because I'm not and I still know what that means.

But people like her character so mostly they want it to work, instead of wanting her to go away.

X-O posted:

Carol is a great character, but she's just not had a good solo run yet

That's not Roman Reigns, that's Seth Rollins. Roman is pushed really hard AND nobody likes his character. Seth is pushed pretty hard and people like him, but it hasn't clicked yet.

This has been WWE with SonicRulez, I'll see myself out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from CineD

James Gunn's facebook apparently posted:

Whoa! So we just got off stage at the San Diego Comicon showing not one, but THREE Guardians clips: 1) A piece from the film featuring Yondu, Rocket, baby Groot, and the Ravagers, 2) A behind-the-scenes featurette of me and the cast working on the forthcoming Guardians attraction at Disneyland, and 3) A special glimpse at a montage of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
I thought I’d share with you guys what we shared with everyone there.
If you don’t want minor spoilers from the film, don’t continue to read. I won’t hold it against you, I swear.
Here are the headlines –
THE RAVAGERS ARE A BIG PART OF VOL. 2
Most were on hand for the SDCC presentation, disrupting the proceedings as Ravagers are prone to do. We learn that they’ve had a somewhat contentious, even mutinous, relationship with Yondu since Vol. 1, due to the fact that Yondu let Peter Quill go without reprisal after not giving them the orb.
The leader in all of these shenanigans is the incredibly-powerful yet incredibly ridiculously-named TASERFACE, played by Chris Sullivan (it’s worth noting that four years ago when I was hired for the first Guardians film, I joked that I was going to make Taserface my villain. I suppose it’s no longer a joke).
Joining Chris in full Ravager regalia, was, of course, Sean Gunn as Kraglin, as well as these new Ravagers, all featured in the film:
Wretch, played by Evan Jones
Half-Nut, played by Jimmy Urine
Brahl, played by Stephen Blackehart
Gef the Ravager, played by Steve Agee
Oblo, played by Joe Fria
Narblik, play by Terence Rosemore
MICHAEL ROOKER SHOWED UP IN FULL YONDU MODE
With a big-rear end fin on his head. ‘Nuff said.
NEBULA IS A MAJOR PART OF THE FILM
As Karen Gillan knows – because I told her during my first meeting with her – GotG Vol. 1 was just a glimpse at a character I had major plans for in the future of the Guardians-verse. I did not lie.
ELIZABETH DEBICKI PLAYS AYESHA
Ayesha is the golden High Priestess of a genetically-perfect people called the Sovereign. She’s not a woman to be screwed with – she, and her entire world, are extraordinarily deadly.
WE CAUGHT A FIRST LOOK AT MANTIS
Our look for Mantis is similar to her original look in the comics – she’s the same color as Pom Klementieff, the actress who plays her (i.e not green), and she has antennae. We saw just a tiny little glimpse of her in the Comic-Con footage. More will be coming. She’s been one of my favorite parts of making this film.
YES, SYLVESTER STALLONE IS IN THE FILM
This was an amazing experience for me, considering I ran around in my backyard as a kid pretending I was Johnny Rambo. Working with Sly was one of the high points of shooting Vol. 2 for me.
Who does he play? Well, I can’t reveal that quite yet… but we do see him interacting with Yondu in the teaser.
TWO SONGS PLAYED IN THE FOOTAGE
“Come a Little Bit Closer,” by Jay and the Americans, played during the clip where Yondu faces off against some of the Ravagers.
“The Chain,” by Fleetwood Mac was the song used in the montage.
Am I saying these songs are part of Awesome Mix Vol. 2? Not necessarily. But they are great tunes…
A NEW DISNEYLAND GOTG ATTRACTION IS COMING
I’m a huge Disneyland fan and the Tower of Terror is my second favorite attraction there (Space Mountain is number one). So when the folks approached me, asking me to be involved with a new Guardians attraction, I was apprehensive.
But then the Walt Disney Imagineering folks showed me what they had in mind and MY MIND WAS COMPLETELY BLOWN. It was awesome (see the attached concept art for a very small taste). Exhilarating and novel and interactive. I can’t be more pleased to have partnered up with Walt Disney Imagineering in this production, helping to direct and shape the experience so that it has all the heart and fun and humor Guardians movies do.
Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, and I, along with a few other members of the Guardians cast, put our full effort into making it as great as we knew it could be. We shot most of it while we were in Atlanta shooting Vol. 2, and I can’t wait for you guys to see it and experience it firsthand the next time you visit the park.
WE DISCLOSED THE IDENTITY OF PETER QUILL’S FATHER
This is the biggie, I guess. And, yes, as many people guessed, or assumed, Kurt Russell is playing Peter Quill’s father. And Peter Quill’s father is (as almost no one has guessed)…
EGO.
Known in the comics as Ego the Living Planet.
Yeah, his dad is a planet. Sort of. It will all be explained in the film..
But to me, this is the absolute center of Vol. 2, and one of the reasons I’ve been so excited about it. When Marvel first approached me with the first movie, I thought, “Wait a second? A talking raccoon? Isn’t that a rather ridiculous idea to base a movie around?”
It was then that I took a step back and asked myself: Okay, if a raccoon could talk, and shoot a machine gun, how could that be? And answering that question ended up being the entire foundation of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1. There was a sadness in the answer. Rocket was an animal experimented upon, torn apart and put back together, without compassion. He was the only being of his type, had never known any hint of kindness, and was utterly and completely alone until he met his fellow Guardians. And, one of them in particular – Groot – thought it was worth sacrificing his life for his sake. This melancholy and beautiful undercurrent helped to ground the character for me. He had far more in common with Frankenstein’s monster than he did Bugs Bunny. And I related to him, greatly, and I hoped other folks who felt like outsiders would as well.
Ego seemed, in many ways, like an even more ridiculous character. But I asked myself, if a planet was alive, how could that be? And how could it father a child?
The answers to those questions took me to a far deeper place that I expected. I don’t want to give away too many answers at this time. But what Nova Prime said about Peter’s father at the end of Vol. 1 is certainly true – he is something ancient and unknown. And, as we will discover, being a cosmic being, alone for eons, is perhaps even more lonely than being the universe’s sole talking raccoon.
I can’t wait for you guys to see Kurt Russell bring this character to life onscreen. It has been a rapturous experience creating Ego with him. We have both pushed ourselves as far as we can go in making him real, and grounded, and emotionally centered.
I also can’t wait for all of you to see this movie. I really, really love it. Never has anything I’ve done flowed as smoothly as this project, and been so true and consistent from the first day I started writing it until today, as we edit it and create our visual effects.
And, worry not. Although you’ve learned a lot today, we have countless more surprises for you as we get closer to our release date. And even more of them in the movie itself.
Stay tuned to this page for more updates as we approach May 5, 2017 and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!
Thanks!
James

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Poor Gef needs to remind people who he is all the time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from CineD

:allears:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In a day of all around good news, Steve Agee as a Ravager is the best.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Ahem, that's The Ravager.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

I will fight you.

Hey like a year ago I was the guy asking where to start with Carol and now I can pay it forward.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Brie larson is officially Captain Marvel!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

X-O posted:

Also weirdly enough, the singer from Mindless Self Indulgence. Gunn is just throwing all his friends into the movie as Ravagers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from CineD

Stallone
Russell

This is the Tango and Cash sequel we have been waiting for!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Can't stop watching that Doctor Strange trailer. So good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dacap posted:

Also weirdly enough, the singer from Mindless Self Indulgence. Gunn is just throwing all his friends into the movie as Ravagers.

Maybe it's a different Jimmy Urine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dacap posted:

Capt Marvel logo

Red and gold seems more like DC Captain Marvel's shtick.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Brie larson is officially Captain Marvel!

Perfect casting, Marvel is just killing it today.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is anyone else breathing a sigh of relief that Starfox is not Peter Quill's dad?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Unlucky7 posted:

Is anyone else breathing a sigh of relief that Starfox is not Peter Quill's dad?

I was hoping for Slippy

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Read KSD run, it's not the best storywise, but character wise it's fantastic. It really gets you to know what makes Carol tick, what makes her be the hero she strives to be, her relationship with others.

Man, I am so down with Wonder Woman, and I gotta admit, Justice League at least looks interesting. I don't mind joking Bruce, because Batman has always been there with a dry wit. He doesn't joke all the time, but he will make them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

If that's the temporary piecemeal homemade suit then it's fine. But I don't think it is because it doesn't look homemade at all. It's just too busy and armor like. It should be sleek and simple for Flash.

From a couple pages back, but just came across this on my twitter feed.
https://twitter.com/KryptoLeith/status/756964713729327105

I mean, Barry is smart and fast, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think he could have gotten the resources to create a suit like that. Let's assume that his upgraded suit is more streamlined so that everyone is happy :)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh I forgot to mention you should read the current run of Spider-Woman, both because it's a fantastic comic and also because she's Carol Danvers' best friend and they're constantly hanging out as a result.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be ok with flash having armor if it was specified and looked like it was there mostly to soften crashing into things when falling out of control at super speeds and stuff. I kinda feel like speed characters should all wear face protection too because of physics reasons but lol speed force

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weird build up around his shoulders makes him look like an action figure.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Pretty much universally awesome news from Marvel today. Really excited about all that Guardians 2 info, and holy poo poo Dr. Strange looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So I completely missed the part about Elizabeth Debicki playing Ayesha in Guardians 2. That's a real out there move. That leaves wondering even more if we're going to see Adam Warlock in some way. Maybe that'll be the stinger.

• Locked thread