Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Are the 'Just for You' offers on eShop actually personalised or does everyone have Harvest Moon The Lost Valley at 50% off

I don't have any Just For You Offers right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Heads up for people who want My Nintendo gold coins, I'm pretty sure it gave me 10 coins twice for OlliOlli, first when I bought it (90% off yay) on 3DS and then again when I downloaded it for free on Wii U thanks to crossbuy. And The Swapper gives you 20 coins and is on even more insane sale so that's 40 gold coins for somewhere around $/£/€2.

Also, this Ninja Smasher game on 3DS looks pretty fun and mildly Metroidvania-ish (and the trailer showed a grappling hook and I am very into grappling hooks), I think I'll pick that up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If I get the swapper and Olli on wiiu can I give the 3ds codes to a friend? Sounds like it's possible.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Ineffiable posted:

If I get the swapper and Olli on wiiu can I give the 3ds codes to a friend? Sounds like it's possible.
No, the OlliOlli crossbuy isn't a code - if you have the same NNID linked to both your Wii U and 3DS, then buying it on the eShop for one of them marks it as purchased and available for download on the other one too.

And Swapper is only for Wii U, it's 20 coins since its original price makes it worth 20 coins.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

KennyMan666 posted:

No, the OlliOlli crossbuy isn't a code - if you have the same NNID linked to both your Wii U and 3DS, then buying it on the eShop for one of them marks it as purchased and available for download on the other one too.

And Swapper is only for Wii U, it's 20 coins since its original price makes it worth 20 coins.

drat. I might just pick up the swapper and Olli though since 40 coins for 2 bucks is nothing to laugh at.

And 40 coins can get you a 5 dollar VC (super mario bros 3 as an example) game, so for 2 bucks, you get three games basically.

There's kind of no reason not to do it since you'll likely use the coins sometime and even if all you got was a 30% off code it's worth more than 2 bucks.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

KennyMan666 posted:

Heads up for people who want My Nintendo gold coins, I'm pretty sure it gave me 10 coins twice for OlliOlli, first when I bought it (90% off yay) on 3DS and then again when I downloaded it for free on Wii U thanks to crossbuy. And The Swapper gives you 20 coins and is on even more insane sale so that's 40 gold coins for somewhere around $/£/€2.

Also, this Ninja Smasher game on 3DS looks pretty fun and mildly Metroidvania-ish (and the trailer showed a grappling hook and I am very into grappling hooks), I think I'll pick that up.

Care to give some impressions on Ninja Smash if you take the plunge?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Wamdoodle posted:

Care to give some impressions on Ninja Smash if you take the plunge?
I gotchu fam

Right now I'm busy with things so I don't even have time for video games but next week probably.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fancy Hat! posted:

Heads up, apparently we're also getting Metroid Blast Ball for free today as well???

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/756143377779871746

For a second I thought this was Metroid Prime Pinball and I got all exicted :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking for a game that is like R-Type or 1941.
Either side scrolling or top-down shooter. Crazy powerups are a plus but I don't like the advanced SHMUPS.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I almost hate that they added TG16 to the Virtual Console because now I'm just setting myself up for disappointment every week that we don't get Bomberman

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

This is a dumb question but why is Tapwave Zodiac in the thread title, is it a joke? I have one and it's cool but I don't get it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Inzombiac posted:

Either side scrolling or top-down shooter. Crazy powerups are a plus but I don't like the advanced SHMUPS.

By "advanced SHMUP" do mean like bullet hell?

In the meantime try out Gradius. The NES port isn't the best, but it's still a solid version of the game. If you like it you can also try out Lifeforce (the sequel, also on NES) and Gradius III (SNES)

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
If you have a 3ds twinbee is great

I find xevious charming in its way and I also suggest life force.
I think there's supposed to be a really good genesis shmup on the WII vc but I'll be damned if I can remember its name.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Is Pop'n Twinbee on the VC? That's one of the sickest rear end casual shooters of that type

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

That best buy surprise July sale is hella awesome. You can get Mario maker, xenoblade x, star Fox or yoshi for only 25 dollars shipped. Check out the video games deals in coupons.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

SylvainMustach posted:

I think there's supposed to be a really good genesis shmup on the WII vc but I'll be damned if I can remember its name.

You're probably thinking of Super Fantasy Zone.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sarchasm posted:

By "advanced SHMUP" do mean like bullet hell?

In the meantime try out Gradius. The NES port isn't the best, but it's still a solid version of the game. If you like it you can also try out Lifeforce (the sequel, also on NES) and Gradius III (SNES)

Yeah, I couldn't remember the term.

I ruined myself on Gradius as a kid so maybe I'll pick it up again.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

My first recommendation for a shmup on eShop is always Recca but that's the ur-bullet hell, so uh.

Get Sin & Punishment 2, it's not even a real shmup and it's still Treasure's best shmup (and game).

Actually one you might really want to check out is Sega 3D Classics Fantasy Zone II.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Sin & Punishment 2 is basically the only reason you'd ever go to an arcade (the light gun rail shooters) and now you don't have to spend tons of money on quarters!

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Recca may have the best NES ost I've ever heard but it's tough as nails. Or at least it was to me.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SylvainMustach posted:

Recca may have the best NES ost I've ever heard but it's tough as nails. Or at least it was to me.
The guy who made it would later go on to make Battle Garegga, so, yeah.

It's not an easy game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SylvainMustach posted:

Clearly you haven't heard the theme from Silver Surfer. I'm on my phone so you have to look it up yourself but it is very, very good.

Wait here we go
https://youtu.be/-J0H5ah1G7A

Tim Follin is a maniac and a god
https://youtu.be/4_gObHt1uZA

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 22, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads-up on the Blast Ball thing - it's free until the game comes out, then they're pulling it from the eShop and turning off the servers for the free version.

Here's the full list of Sonic games on sale in NA until July 28:

WII U
Sonic Boom - $14.99
Sonic Lost World - $14.99
Sonic Racing Transformed - $11.99

3DS
Sonic Boom - $14.99
Sonic Lost World - $14.99
Sonic Generations - $11.99
Sonic Racing Transformed - $11.99
3D Sonic the Hedgehog - $2.99
3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.19
Sonic Triple Trouble - $2.49

Inzombiac posted:

3DS or Wii U?

3DS has a remake of the old Genesis/Megadrive game Steel Empire, plus some 3D Classics (Fantasy Zone 1 & 2DX, Xevious, Twinbee) and several NES VC games (Gradius, Life Force, Recca, S.C.A.T. oh god I hate that loving name, etc)

Wii U is pretty much just more VC games, I think - the NES stuff plus whichever games showed up for SNES (Pop'n Twinbee, Axelay) and R-Type for TG16 if you're in NA.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

ultrabay2000 posted:

This is a dumb question but why is Tapwave Zodiac in the thread title, is it a joke? I have one and it's cool but I don't get it.

I think it had a digital shop that was also called the Eshop.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So I just got Hyrule Warriors, and what the gently caress is up with the DLC packs? I got the $20 pack with the first season of DLC, but the second season stuff is weird. What do I want to buy to get everything and not get screwed out of money?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anora posted:

So I just got Hyrule Warriors, and what the gently caress is up with the DLC packs? I got the $20 pack with the first season of DLC, but the second season stuff is weird. What do I want to buy to get everything and not get screwed out of money?
There's the first season pass that adds a couple modes, adventure mode maps, and a bunch of characters that you already have. There's the Legends character DLC that adds the extra characters that came with the 3DS version to the Wii U one, a code for it comes with Legends but you can also buy it separately. And then there's the Legends season pass that on the Wii U will only get you new characters, all the new content other than characters from this point on will be 3DS exclusive. Its discounted though, the Wii U season pass is like half the price of the 3DS one.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Isn't there a Wii U + 3DS Season Pass option for that last one, though? Could've sworn there was.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There is, iirc Wii U only is $10, 3DS only is like $15(?), and cross-buy is $20

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the Legends DLC on Wii U is pretty cheap because it adds a whole lot less to the game overall. No new adventure maps, just characters and weapons.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So what's the Deal with the two Legends packs? One is like 12.99 and says it has 5 characters and modes and stuff, and the other one is 9.99 and says it has 4 characters, and stuff for Linkle and Toon Link. Do I need both to get all of the stuff? What are the 4 characters in the 9.99 pack? Why does the Link's awakening pack say to not buy it if I get the 9.99 pack?

I just want an itemized list of the poo poo in the DLC, Nintendo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The $13 one doesn't come with the season pass, that's the one that's normally included with the 3DS game, comes with Linkle, Toon Link, Skull Kid, the king and I think Tetra? The Link's Awakening pack does come with the season pass though so that's why they say that. It just comes with Marin. IDK what other characters will be in the season pass.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The 12.99 one is the 5 new characters that came with Legends, and there was a free code in the box to redeem them on Wii U

The 9.99 one is the Wii U version of the season pass (adds Marin, three future DLC characters, Linkle Boots, etc)

Edit: and yes, buying both is required to get everything possible in the Wii U version (presuming that you aren't going to buy Legends at any point and thus getting the $12.99 one included for free).

The other three characters in the season pass past Marin have leaked and are most likely Toon Zelda, Yuga, and Ravio

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 22, 2016

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Help Im Alive posted:

Are the 'Just for You' offers on eShop actually personalised or does everyone have Harvest Moon The Lost Valley at 50% off

Where do you even find those? When My Nintendo first came up, I couldn't avoid noticing the "Just for You" page, but now I can't find it at all.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

homeless snail posted:

Is Pop'n Twinbee on the VC? That's one of the sickest rear end casual shooters of that type

I don't think Pop'n is, but the PC Engine version of Detana Twinbee is on the Wii VC.

It's a shame Parodius hasn't gotten an official release in NA ever, though Europe got a couple of them.

The Wii VC is full of shmups mostly due to the extensive TG16 library. Gradius II, Soldier Blade, Blazing Lazers, Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder are all great, and then there are several other good ones, including the original Cho Aniki if you want something weird with a good soundtrack. Genesis VC has Gley Lancer, M.U.S.H.A., Super Fantasy Zone, and some others I'm undoubtedly forgetting at the moment.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pop'n Twinbee (and the Twinbee platformer) are available on the Wii U VC in PAL-land and Japan but not NA, from the looks of things. They were both JP/PAL-only games in their day so maybe they didn't want to drop a 50hz game on the NA store?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Inzombiac posted:

You could try the Steel Empire remake but I didn't like it as much as the original Megadrive version.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Another question about Nintendo gold coins. I understand they can still be earned even if a game is discounted, but the original is above at least 5 dollars. Does this count for vc games that are discounted because they were original Wii vc purchases?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

JetpackHowwy posted:

Another question about Nintendo gold coins. I understand they can still be earned even if a game is discounted, but the original is above at least 5 dollars. Does this count for vc games that are discounted because they were original Wii vc purchases?

Yes. I had a ton of VC purchases on the original Wii, and I haven't upgraded them to Wii U yet but I've definitely gotten all the necessary coins for the few that I have. I think NES poo poo is just under the threshold but all the rest will coin you up.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so just finished the bulk of boxboxboy and it was very good. the bonus levels are fantastically doing my head in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Clearly you haven't heard the theme from Silver Surfer. I'm on my phone so you have to look it up yourself but it is very, very good.

Wait here we go
https://youtu.be/-J0H5ah1G7A

The youtube comments in there makes me sad as they're all "LOL GREAT MUSIX lovely GAME" when silver surfer is a pretty cool game :(