Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I sold a bike (Yamaha Bolt) to a guy who drove all the way up to northwest WI to ride it back to Chicago. I tried to convince him to just pay for shipping but he didn't want to. He used to ride, so he said, but hadn't ridden anything in years. He shows up and throws a leg over the bike and seems a bit tippy on it. I get the cash from him and tell him to take it on a test ride to make sure everything is ok (he just wanted to get on and get going). I hop on my TW200 and tell him to follow, saying something about how I've got a real nice test road for him, but the real reason is I want to make sure he's not dangerous. He seems ok once we get going, a little rusty maybe but he's obviously got some experience. We stop at a gas station and I fill up the tank for him and ask him a few questions, just making sure he's not drunk or on drugs, or completely batshit insane. I remember it being a very hot day, and tell him again that maybe it's best he just ship it down or rent a u-haul, I'd be happy to help him out in any way I could. Why ride through all this heat? He declines again.

A month later I get a letter from a town along I-94, it was a cleanup bill for "spilled fluids" from an accident. Since my name is associated with the VIN, I get the letter. I start freaking out and googling the guy's name and checking accident reports to find out if he's ok. His name doesn't show up on any vehicular fatalities list, but I have no idea what happened to him. I know it's not my fault, but I still feel terrible about it to this day. I should have stopped him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Here's the whole story:

Bike was an 06 SV650.  Kinda funny because I own a different SV now.

Guy showed up at 9 PM with his wife and kid, looked at the bike, offered me $200 less than asking and the deal was done.  He claimed that he had ridden before and didn't want to test ride it. 

First question after cash was exchanged and Bill of Sale signed: "Does it come with a helmet?"  This should have been a clear indication of idiocy.  I take the plate off the bike and tell him good luck (and no I don't sell used helmets).  I did check the news the next day to see if there was any fatalities between Sugar Land and Jersey Village.  Surprisingly, none!

Now it's 3 months later and I receive a notification on my door that I have certified mail waiting for me.  I sign, receive the mail and it's a wrecker stating they have my bike.  I think for a split second that I could probably get a free bike, but decide that I didn't want to deal with it.  Texted the guy who bought it with no response.  About 2 weeks later, I get another certified letter stating that I owed $6,500 for damages (from a law firm).  Turns out, he had T-Boned a BMW with no plate on the bike, no insurance, and no registration.  His excuse to the cops was that he borrowed the bike from me.  All I had to do after that was send a signed affidavit to the Law Firm, along with the signed bill of sale stating that the motorcycle was sold to him and they dropped the charges.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Gorson posted:

I sold a bike (Yamaha Bolt) to a guy who drove all the way up to northwest WI to ride it back to Chicago. I tried to convince him to just pay for shipping but he didn't want to. He used to ride, so he said, but hadn't ridden anything in years. He shows up and throws a leg over the bike and seems a bit tippy on it. I get the cash from him and tell him to take it on a test ride to make sure everything is ok (he just wanted to get on and get going). I hop on my TW200 and tell him to follow, saying something about how I've got a real nice test road for him, but the real reason is I want to make sure he's not dangerous. He seems ok once we get going, a little rusty maybe but he's obviously got some experience. We stop at a gas station and I fill up the tank for him and ask him a few questions, just making sure he's not drunk or on drugs, or completely batshit insane. I remember it being a very hot day, and tell him again that maybe it's best he just ship it down or rent a u-haul, I'd be happy to help him out in any way I could. Why ride through all this heat? He declines again.

A month later I get a letter from a town along I-94, it was a cleanup bill for "spilled fluids" from an accident. Since my name is associated with the VIN, I get the letter. I start freaking out and googling the guy's name and checking accident reports to find out if he's ok. His name doesn't show up on any vehicular fatalities list, but I have no idea what happened to him. I know it's not my fault, but I still feel terrible about it to this day. I should have stopped him.

You're a murderer now. Know that you will no longer see death flitting in the corner of your eye as you round the curve, for you have become him.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chichevache posted:

You're a murderer now. Know that you will no longer see death flitting in the corner of your eye as you round the curve, for you have become him.

This, but satirically.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Bananana posted:

This, but satirically.

I've got a serious post coming for Xylopagus the widowmaker, orphaner of children.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I'm moving our chat from the 'Motorcycle Questions' thread over here as it's moving into the 'what bike should I buy' realm.

Gorson posted:

Yeah kind of a bad time of the year for low displacement bikes; the good, reasonably priced ones get snatched up in the spring and everything that's left is overpriced. You will see them start popping up in September from people trying to bail themselves out of a rash purchase before winter and they start having to start eating depreciation and storage costs. If you have some negotiating skill it's a buyers market.

These are in my area:

CBR250R/300R
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/mcy/5624315203.html $2000 for a 2012, motivated seller. In fact, I may have sold him that bike last year. You won't see one much lower than that.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/5675945082.html 2011, Minneapolis $2250 miles not listed
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/5635518698.html iffy, but maybe worth a shot. At least the area code is MN

Ninja 300
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/mcy/5653848734.html

Have you thought about the CBR500R? Essentially the same bike but with more horseypowers, and there always seems to be good value in the used market for them. These are in Rochester:

https://rmn.craigslist.org/mcy/5657653973.html
https://rmn.craigslist.org/mcy/5694768270.html

Looks like you might have to do a bit of driving, or a bus-n-ride, to get something reasonable unless you want to wait. I'd be happy to go look at anything in my area for you. Generally everything's a couple hundred bucks cheaper over here.

Holy crap - thanks for the leads and the offer to help. You're awesome. I've shot out a some texts/e-mails, so we'll see who bites.

I texted the guy from:
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/5675945082.html
2011, Minneapolis $2250 miles not listed

And he said, '8,000 miles on it runs perfect new clutch got a nice sound on it very good bike'. Is that a big deal? New clutch at 8k feels a little..... early? Is this a red flag, or am I just being overly cautious.

Schroeder91 posted:

The CBR500R is a good bike. I sold my 2013 model for $2500, but it had been laid down twice and had 40k miles. Ran great still though and it was (mostly) just plastic damage. I replaced everything and got it all nice and no one would bite even at $3k, finally found a guy on reddit and we split the different at $2500. A lot of people get them and put <10k miles on them and are wanting to upgrade afterwards and recoup as much money as possible. I wish people didn't think 40k was a death sentence.

I hadn't looked at those, but from what I am reading they look promising. Seems like it's a little more in the realm of SV650 rather than ninjette/cbr250. Right now they look a little on the spendy side, but I'll definitely keep my eyes open.

Edit: Also, what about this guy? http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-Honda-Cbr-250R-ABS-118899475?zmc=stf
ABS is the big selling point for me, but low mileage isn't bad either. I'd feel alright with it if I could get it down to $3k maybe. Thoughts?

Fishvilla fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 22, 2016

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Chichevache posted:

I am a horrible person and I pray for death! :negative:

Fishvilla posted:

Holy crap - thanks for the leads and the offer to help. You're awesome. I've shot out a some texts/e-mails, so we'll see who bites.

No problem!

I would be concerned about a clutch replacement at 8k. It smacks of abuse. Could just be a newbie slipping the clutch too much I suppose.

The CBR500R is more of a tweener bike between the 250/300's and SV. Here's a good side-by-side comparison between the Ninja 300, 500r, and Ninja 650R:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2013/10/article/2013-honda-cbr500r-vs-ninja-300-650-specs/

The important numbers to note are horsepower (35.41HP vs 42.9 for the 500R) weight (386 vs 423 which I believe is wet weight) and torque (17.85 @ 9800 rpm vs 29.19 @ 6700 rpm). The 500r is heavier but more powerful and more of that power is available at the bottom of the rev range meaning you don't have to ring it's neck like a Ninjette. Also look at the redline, 13,000 vs 8500, so it's far less of a screamer. Both are good bikes but different in their execution. IIRC the SV is around 75hp and 430lbs wet.

Of course, you could say "gently caress all this noise" and do it in style with a Hawk GT.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Gorson posted:

I would be concerned about a clutch replacement at 8k. It smacks of abuse. Could just be a newbie slipping the clutch too much I suppose

You'd have to be slipping constantly for a really long time in order to burn out a motorcycle wet clutch that quickly. Sounds to me more like wheelies and burnouts.

Gorson posted:

Of course, you could say "gently caress all this noise" and do it in style with a Hawk GT.

Always the correct decision!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The cbr500r seems like a good bike, but it's really weird that it weights that much IMO.

But if you can score a nice one for cheap I'd go for it. Having some torque and a little more top end power than a 300 sounds like it would be an easier commuter bike. Turning 10k In 6th gear on the freeway gets old after a while.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Fishvilla posted:

MN Bike Purchase

If you want someone to help you kick tires on a bike let me know. I'm in Minneapolis now, went to college in Eau Claire, so know both areas and only expect the briefest of handjobs to help a goon out.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Fishvilla posted:

bunch of stuff

You're selling a Bonneville for a CBR250 or Ninja 300? What

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

TheFonz posted:

If you want someone to help you kick tires on a bike let me know. I'm in Minneapolis now, went to college in Eau Claire, so know both areas and only expect the briefest of handjobs to help a goon out.

I also are a gradiate of UWEC as well!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Anyone have experience with the Honda Rebel? Other than telling me it's a girls bike for fags. It seems like a fun, forgiving first bike / city bike with zero theft appeal.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

The cbr500r seems like a good bike, but it's really weird that it weights that much IMO.

But if you can score a nice one for cheap I'd go for it. Having some torque and a little more top end power than a 300 sounds like it would be an easier commuter bike. Turning 10k In 6th gear on the freeway gets old after a while.

It was my first bike and my next (current) is a heavy vstrom so I don't really know that much about weight, but it felt light to me. Everyone I let ride it, even the guys at the shop, said it was light and easy to flick around. I did lots of long distance riding around Arizona and even into utah, nevada, and California and it handled it great. It was decently comfortable but after a few hundred miles it would start to get a bit rough. That said, I'm 6'6" and was 300lbs at the time of owning on it.

Even though they dont advertise it, IIRC the CB500F/X has Honda luggage rack and hard cases options and I believe they'll fit the CBR500R. I think the hard cases are rather small though, so I'd probably suggest aftermarket cases that fit the Honda rack, or a whole aftermarket system. I'm sure Givi or someone else has one by now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Anyone have experience with the Honda Rebel? Other than telling me it's a girls bike for fags. It seems like a fun, forgiving first bike / city bike with zero theft appeal.

If you're happy to start with it them congratulations, you've got a fun, simple little bike to tool around on below highway speed.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcd/5670793789.html

Am I missing something? Is there a reason why this bike is almost $1k off the MSRP of new with only 10k on the odo?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Schroeder91 posted:

It was my first bike and my next (current) is a heavy vstrom so I don't really know that much about weight, but it felt light to me. Everyone I let ride it, even the guys at the shop, said it was light and easy to flick around. I did lots of long distance riding around Arizona and even into utah, nevada, and California and it handled it great. It was decently comfortable but after a few hundred miles it would start to get a bit rough. That said, I'm 6'6" and was 300lbs at the time of owning on it.

Even though they dont advertise it, IIRC the CB500F/X has Honda luggage rack and hard cases options and I believe they'll fit the CBR500R. I think the hard cases are rather small though, so I'd probably suggest aftermarket cases that fit the Honda rack, or a whole aftermarket system. I'm sure Givi or someone else has one by now.

Yeah it's definitely not heavy. Just heavy compared to its primary competition of ninja 300s. I was really close to buying one but the sheer volume of used ninja 300s around made it easier to find a good deal. Probably a 10:1 ratio on Craigslist when I was shopping.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

kimcicle posted:

Am I missing something? Is there a reason why this bike is almost $1k off the MSRP of new with only 10k on the odo?

Because it's... last year's model and has 10k on it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

kimcicle posted:

10,000 miles is about 10 years of riding for the average American motorcyclist. That's pretty serious riding for only one year of use.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Chichevache posted:

If you're happy to start with it them congratulations, you've got a fun, simple little bike to tool around on below highway speed.
It rides fine on a highway around 70mph. Just a little buzzy at those speeds because it's revving to the moon in top gear. Great little bike for city and rural road travels, excellent beginner cruiser.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

10,000 miles is about 10 years of riding for the average American motorcyclist. That's pretty serious riding for only one year of use.

I pity the average American motorcyclist. I've already done almost that much this year and it isn't even August yet.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

TheFonz posted:

Awesome! I'll let you know if I need a set of eyes for tire kickin'. We'll work out payment for your services later.

VERTiG0 posted:

You're selling a Bonneville for a CBR250 or Ninja 300? What

I bought a bonnie as a first bike, and it was a mistake. I'm downgrading to something that I think will be more fun. vOv

Gorson posted:

ICBR500R

And now I kind of want a CBR500R.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fishvilla posted:

Awesome! I'll let you know if I need a set of eyes for tire kickin'. We'll work out payment for your services later.

I bought a bonnie as a first bike, and it was a mistake. I'm downgrading to something that I think will be more fun. vOv

And now I kind of want a CBR500R.

buy my brother's ninja. nothing says fun like an 1100 mile fly n ride

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

Because it's... last year's model and has 10k on it?

Sagebrush posted:

Hmm, I guess my expectations of how many miles people ride is much higher than the average... Would having "so many miles" be detrimental in such a short time span?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

kimcicle posted:

Hmm, I guess my expectations of how many miles people ride is much higher than the average... Would having "so many miles" be detrimental in such a short time span?

It's not so much "A lot of miles" or innately detrimental as has a year's worth of miles, 2017s will be hitting dealers soon if they haven't already (I never really pay attention, I haven't owned a brand new vehicle in over a decade), and it's not really all that fresh. By 10k miles, depending on the bike, you may be at a valve check, you've likely gone through a few sets of tires, the chain is half done as are the chain sprockets.

The opposite is true, too. Too few miles over a bunch of years is a good reason for a price not being so high. All the rubber's likely in need of attention, the tires may be out of date even if they're newer in terms of miles ridden, etc.

I got lucky with my '04 VFR800 that I bought last year with 18k miles on it in that it was simply one of a handful of bikes the previous owner, a mid-50s business owner, cycled through depending on mood. It had been taken care of religiously, had documentation for everything that had been done to it, and it was basically in good enough shape I'd have trusted it for a cross country trip the second it was in my name. I've put about 10k miles on it since I got it and it's still nice and solid, but it's about time for another chain/sprocket set, oil change time, time to think about a valve check, etc.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
My Austin woman friend is pretty set on a Rebel 250 now as a first biek, so all good there.

Separately, a friend is looking to move to Portland OR, and so I was helping him by cruising CL. If it's still there when he arrives in a few weeks, would this be an okay deal? http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/5696404309.html

It's a '97 Kawasaki KE 100, a 100cc single-cylinder two-stroke street-legal dirtbike. He's just looking for something for getting around town in Portland, no real highway use. Basically just something less-lame than a 50cc scooter. He rode my TW200 while visiting Austin and dug it, and these look kinda crude but bulletproof. Worth looking at for $1350 as just something better than a motorized bicycle for urban use? Failing that, we're keeping an eye out for CL listings for Ninja 500s and GS500s mostly.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
It's been 60 hours since I dropped my Sportster off at the new owner's house and my teeth are itching, so I'm setting up some test rides for early next week.

First up is a 2013 Hypermotard 821 (not an SP), 2,000ish miles on it. I've heard a very vocal minority of 821 owners talking about a massive, chronic electrical / ECU failure on their bikes, so. Super fun. $7,900. I could do better on price, but not by much, and I'd have to drive to like loving Chicago or something.

Next is a 2015 Super Duke 1290R. 1,500 miles, I think. Rebuilt title, less than $12,000. I'm spending my own money, but I still think I might want to shy away from this specifically due to insurance screwing me hard on value should it get stolen, or worse. Seller states he bought it at auction, VIN report seems to correlate this but I may try to contact the company that totaled it to find out what happened to it.

There was another 1290R, but it has a deal pending on it. $13k. I hope it falls through.
Meanwhile, I'm keeping my eye out for more of these, plus any Monster 821s / 1200s or Adventure 1190Rs. I already got some good advice on Super Dukes, which are top of my want list.

I'm hoping to come out around $12k. I'm paying debt down this year - paid off the $5k I owed on my MS6 around March, credit card, etc - so I really don't want to finance.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You're gonna find the 821 pretty disappointing against a 1290. Why not consider the FZ10 as well? With the cross plane crank it's an honorary vtwin.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Some dealerships have them I'm sure, but at the price point where I'd probably just rather get the KTM. The 821 is slower, sure, though I'm into it for the super long service intervals. Used 821 Monsters don't exist like the Hypermotards.

Bike shopping has me scattered and stressed out right now, too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

It's been 60 hours since I dropped my Sportster off at the new owner's house and my teeth are itching, so I'm setting up some test rides for early next week.

First up is a 2013 Hypermotard 821 (not an SP), 2,000ish miles on it. I've heard a very vocal minority of 821 owners talking about a massive, chronic electrical / ECU failure on their bikes, so. Super fun. $7,900. I could do better on price, but not by much, and I'd have to drive to like loving Chicago or something.

First-year 821s have a known issue with the dash unit which, thanks to the wonder of Italy, requires the replacement of more or less the entire electrical system to rectify. I would be nervous as hell about buying one that hadn't had it fail and be replaced, because they never did an official recall which means you're at the mercy of your local dealer if (when) it craps out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Revvik posted:

Some dealerships have them I'm sure, but at the price point where I'd probably just rather get the KTM. The 821 is slower, sure, though I'm into it for the super long service intervals. Used 821 Monsters don't exist like the Hypermotards.

Bike shopping has me scattered and stressed out right now, too.

You're not going to be able to find one used but you might be able to get a dealer down to around 12k OTD. I thought MSRP was a bit lower.

I'd probably wait out a 1290, the maintenance intervals on the KTM are nearly as long (has a valve check at 9k service but after that it's about the same). The hyper also has an oddball stalling issue where sometimes it hesitates right off the line and that's real annoying.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

You're not going to be able to find one used but you might be able to get a dealer down to around 12k OTD. I thought MSRP was a bit lower.

I'd probably wait out a 1290, the maintenance intervals on the KTM are nearly as long (has a valve check at 9k service but after that it's about the same). The hyper also has an oddball stalling issue where sometimes it hesitates right off the line and that's real annoying.

It's honestly sounding like the 821 Hypers are just all around disasters, then. poo poo.
What about the previous gen KTMs, the 990SD / SMT, as something to settle for?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

They're quirky - I'd mostly sum up the 950/990 engine as so:
http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html

Which is a large list of issues, but none of them are catastrophic if addressed properly. Basically you need to sort of love the platform to enjoy a 950/990.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 25, 2016

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I really like the hypermotard but I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Are the older models any better? They've been out for a while so you'd think they'd have fixed most of the issues already.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

kimcicle posted:

Assuming all the services have been done, 10k miles isn't bad.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Are Hypermotards (821,939) really that unreliable? I'm interested in one, but a dealer I spoke to told me they recently stopped selling Ducati as there were too many issues.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
At the Euro biek dealer in Asheville they had both of the we're-making-this-into-a-touring-bike bikes in which I was interested at one point. The 990 SM-T is loving huge. I'd never seen one in person but it looks unwieldy as poo poo. The 1290 GT, on the other hand, is a decent size. Obviously it's about the same size as the regular SD but with a bigger passenger seat and some more bodywork. I didn't ride it, but if I did any long-distance riding I'd eventually consider one. Either that or the FZ-10.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I thought they were as dependable as any Ducati. Which is to say better now than they used to be but you better hope yours wasn't manufactured on a Friday.

Sounds like you talked to a metric dealer who bought into the marquee but weren't onboard with Ducati customers' expectations. "What do you mean I don't get a loaner?"

captainOrbital posted:

The 990 SM-T is loving huge. I'd never seen one in person but it looks unwieldy as poo poo.

Bikes like that are kind of tall for some folks but they're not super heavy. The wide SM style bars give you a lot of leverage.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 25, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

At the Euro biek dealer in Asheville they had both of the we're-making-this-into-a-touring-bike bikes in which I was interested at one point. The 990 SM-T is loving huge. I'd never seen one in person but it looks unwieldy as poo poo. The 1290 GT, on the other hand, is a decent size. Obviously it's about the same size as the regular SD but with a bigger passenger seat and some more bodywork. I didn't ride it, but if I did any long-distance riding I'd eventually consider one. Either that or the FZ-10.

I thought the 990 SM-T felt pretty much like a grown up Aprilia Pegaso which was what I was riding at the time I had a look at one. The ergonomics were pretty much identical. It didn't seem particularly huge to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Maybe it's just because I'm used to small/standard bikes. I saw the 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE and I was like Jesus this thing is like a monster truck. The 990 SMT seemed almost as big. They did have bags on it, and it was on the centerstand but the thing was just tall as heck to me.