Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

It's Rider, not Ryder!

But yay, I'm glad Rich is back! Him mentoring Sam should be great.

Dick and Sam being buddy space cops is exactly the thing I wanted to happen for the past 4 years.
Hopefully they find Richard's brother and Sam's dad so the whole Nova families can fly around being space cop buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I want them to work in the Nova family from the Secret Wars: Infinity Gauntlet mini. Nova dog is the best Nova.

I've been enjoying Civil War II: War Harder. Carol has good intentions, but I'm sure the people working with her will take things too far. I don't think there is really a right side or wrong side. Just shades of gray that both sides that both will take to the extreme, and cause major problems.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The problem I have with CW2/Ulysees is that based on tie-ins the kid is having 30 visions a day and throwing them out to every loving team and hero that's out there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The problem I have with CW2/Ulysees is that based on tie-ins the kid is having 30 visions a day and throwing them out to every loving team and hero that's out there.

It would make sense with a Minority Report like setup but welp.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I grew up on Atlantis Attacks and Inferno so CW2 really ain't that bad to these old eyes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/sdcc-lemire-soule-yu-wade-into-war-with-inhumans-vs-x-men

Fire up the conspiracy hats, it's time for the Inhumans to totally kill the X-Men line for the fifth time this year

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/sdcc-lemire-soule-yu-wade-into-war-with-inhumans-vs-x-men

Fire up the conspiracy hats, it's time for the Inhumans to totally kill the X-Men line for the fifth time this year

This might be the event that the rumor guy was talking about, leading to an X-Men relaunch.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I love that Moon Girl is in there.

e: and opposite Sabertooth.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 23, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sounds like the perfect event for Phoenix Scott to come back and right all wrongs.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The Phoenix just got done failing to solve the problem, don't make the poor thing have to fail again. It needs at least a decade between failures. That's just common decency.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was different. Writer Doom masturbation beats out the Phoenix any time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Someone pitch Hickman a What if Doom had the Phoenix Power story.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ferrule posted:

I grew up on Atlantis Attacks and Inferno so CW2 really ain't that bad to these old eyes.

Inferno owns tho.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Aphrodite posted:

Does the Phoenix have a long secret history of not being a complete gently caress up of a universal force that I have missed? Because in my experience it exists to go mad with power or get chumped.

I.E. "The Phoenix has driven_____ Grey mad" or "But that's impossible I used all the power of the Phoenix! Nothing is Impossible to Apocalypse's new cronie!"

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 24, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Its purpose is to kill poo poo occasionally. It usually succeeds at that.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Does anyone actually like the Inhumans more than the X-Men?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WAR FOOT posted:

Ike Perlmutter?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WAR FOOT posted:

I do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One time X-O canceled the creation of a female heroes topic because he insisted it wouldn't get many posts.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

WAR FOOT posted:

Never more than the X-Men, and I've given less of a poo poo about the Inhumans since Marvel has been trying to make them "A thing"

But Marvel's goal, if we have forgotten, is to piss off people because "Anger sells comics" So I just don't get angry anymore, I maybe laugh at how dumb it is, but I never get mad or buy it. Because the only reason to show all of the X-men dead with Scott crying over their corpses while then showing a parallel image of all the Inhumans happy in a garden, is to try to piss off X-men fans.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if I care about good writing.

No marvel stop you cannot make a good writing vs bad event

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The image of a lot of people dead who then don't die for whatever reason is a super common comics thing, not just X-Men.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

WAR FOOT posted:

I do.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

WAR FOOT posted:

Yeah man. Maybe back in the Claremont days they were cool but now theyre just a complex mess.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

JoshTheStampede posted:

The image of a lot of people dead who then don't die for whatever reason is a super common comics thing, not just X-Men.

No I meant specifically the contrast image

That is called bait.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's not a garden.

That's a pile of inhuman pods, which are cases of dead skin and mucus they weave for themselves before they go through the change.

Piles of dead skin and dried mucus. With veins.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

That's not a garden.

That's a pile of inhuman pods, which are cases of dead skin and mucus they weave for themselves before they go through the change.

Piles of dead skin and dried mucus. With veins.

I may have been very tired when I first saw the picture.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Onmi posted:

That is called bait.

It's not bait when the central theme of the X-Men is that they're a persecuted minority in constant crisis and under constant threat of extinction and the image shows X-Men in crisis and extinct. That's called thematic coherency.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Onmi posted:

That is called bait.

That's a very simple image of Life vs Death that is very much part of the ongoing story and is not bait. Right now the story of the X-Men and the Inhumans is that the very thing that brings Inhumans into being is actually killing Mutants. It's designed specifically to show that very thing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

It's not bait when the central theme of the X-Men is that they're a persecuted minority in constant crisis and under constant threat of extinction and the image shows X-Men in crisis and extinct. That's called thematic coherency.

It is when you immediately contrast them with the Inhumans all being happy and thriving, when the current thing wiping out mutants is the Inhuman's cloud thing.

X-O posted:

That's a very simple image of Life vs Death that is very much part of the ongoing story and is not bait. Right now the story of the X-Men and the Inhumans is that the very thing that brings Inhumans into being is actually killing Mutants. It's designed specifically to show that very thing.

It is also designed to piss off fans of the X-Men who see the Inhumans as "replacing" them. An image can be thematic to its story while still being bait to piss people off when the story itself is bait to piss people off. Like all of Superior Spiderman was bait to piss people off while still having a story.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Onmi posted:

It is also designed to piss off fans of the X-Men who see the Inhumans as "replacing" them.

Those people are idiots who are literally objectively wrong, so I don't see why I, much less Marvel Comics creative, should be worried about what they think.

Onmi posted:

It is when you immediately contrast them with the Inhumans all being happy and thriving, when the current thing wiping out mutants is the Inhuman's cloud thing.

Yeah, it's supposed to be contrasting the two groups. That's not bait, that's, again, thematic coherency. The persecuted minority being destroyed while the minority that subscribes to some form of imperialism and a strict caste system that places them at the top thriving is meant to illustrate the differences between them through the lens of logical exaggeration.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 24, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Those people are idiots who are literally objectively wrong, so I don't see why I, much less Marvel Comics creative, should be worried about what they think.

Because of that. It would be one thing if it were simply people being crazy, it's another when they come out and say "No the plan is to make people angry to sell comics."

EDIT: That's the reason I don't get upset when marvel does... anything really. Because anything they do can always be framed through the lense of "Get angry so we sell books."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If the bar for getting angry is to be so uninformed and unable to apply critical thought beyond repeating a verifiably untrue glorified meme about how Marvel Comics is killing the X-Men because a completely separate media division doesn't have the movie rights, despite there being literally over a dozen X-Books currently being written, despite how in direct contrast the Inhumans have...three (four if you count Ms. Marvel), that's not on Marvel, that's on you for being so dumb. Again, I fail to see how I should care about idiots, because this seems exactly like the tempest in a teapot that was Captain Hydra, which 1) nobody actually gives a poo poo about any more 2) has only produced good comics so far.

If you're being upset that a company made a move to gain publicity or sell comics, I feel like I'm gonna have to sit you down and tell you some hard truths about literally any profit-based industry. Or do you think DC does its every-five-years linewide reboot like clockwork because they really care about once and for all getting the canon really nailed down this time?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Toxxupation posted:

That is not a central theme really. I mean it has been since House of M but that is just a decade and it's been a really bad one for the X-men.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nah I agree that bait is the perfect word to describe this. They absolutely want people to be picking sides and picking nits about those sides and talking back and forth about which team is better and which team sux and so on and whatever. It's the same mindset that's driven all of their events except maybe Secret Wars.

I just don't mind it in this situation because the story for all this has been interesting so far, at least whenever they've actually addressed it.

*Inhumans sux

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

That is called bait.

The inhumans are high as gently caress

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

WAR FOOT posted:

I like both of them. That being said, Wolverine being in loving everything until VERY recently has soured me on X. Plus Inhumans now have Blind Man with Dog, my new favorite hero.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

If the bar for getting angry is to be so uninformed and unable to apply critical thought beyond repeating a verifiably untrue glorified meme about how Marvel Comics is killing the X-Men because a completely separate media division doesn't have the movie rights, despite there being literally over a dozen X-Books currently being written, despite how in direct contrast the Inhumans have...three (four if you count Ms. Marvel), that's not on Marvel, that's on you for being so dumb. Again, I fail to see how I should care about idiots, because this seems exactly like the tempest in a teapot that was Captain Hydra, which 1) nobody actually gives a poo poo about any more 2) has only produced good comics so far.

If you're being upset that a company made a move to gain publicity or sell comics, I feel like I'm gonna have to sit you down and tell you some hard truths about literally any profit-based industry. Or do you think DC does its every-five-years linewide reboot like clockwork because they really care about once and for all getting the canon really nailed down this time?

For all the reasons you said are reasons I'm not upset and you're having a hard time wrapping your brain around that. I know when something is 'bait' though. Avengers Arena was bait, it was also an attempt to tap into the Hunger Games and other stories currently out of that category for the profits, but it didn't stop that it was also attempting to pissing off the fans of Avengers Academy and Runaways by being a sequel to both. It didn't matter that neither of those fan bases had been considered large enough to support a book It was still a calculated marketing effort to make a portion of the demographic angry, since anger breeds word of mouth, and then more people are likely to pick up the book just to see it for themselves.

Marvel knows how to butter its bread, they're a business so what's to get angry about? It's like the current Steve Rogers plot, an attempt to piss off an amount of people so they will buy the book. Not my personal strategy, but it works for them and their business analysis shows that it works. I once got someone incredibly riled up by pointing out that there was no reason to be bugged about Captain Hydra because 1. It wont be permanent and 2. In the long run even if the writer intends for it to be permanent, someone will eventually come along and change things up. I know the X-men aren't being killed off, the idiots who think they are so Marvel can "Kill Fox's movie rights" are... well idiots. They're not pushing the Inhumans to "Replace the X-Men" they are pushing the Inhumans to make a brand they can make more money off.

It's comic books, nothing is permanent, everything can be revived. I'm not even saying "I hate marvel." Because I don't, even if I don't care for a lot of their books, it's just how comic books are.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Inhumans have the better comics at the moment, which is all that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Inhumans have the better comics at the moment, which is all that matters.

To be fair it's not hard to have better comics than the current X-men

• Locked thread